• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 PC Performance Thread

The short path between (chapter 2)
the fight under the brigde and the helicopter, before you get to the split paths to the barn
are weirdly intensive for me. Dropping from 60 to a fluctuating 47-55.

The only thing that helps is severely reducing resolution. :-/

Otherwise it's been very smooth. Thankfully it's a specific and rare occurrence.

How accurate is the ingame benchmark in representing game performance?

Very, in my experience. With the exception I mentioned above. Of course, there are quiet sections of the game that won't be as taxing, but you don't want to target those anyway since it would lead to drops in combat.

How accurate is the ingame benchmark in representing game performance?

I found it to give a little more FPS compared to the campaign proper. The bench said my framerate stayed in the 50-70 range but most of the firefights in the campaign with the same settings hovered in the 40-50 range.

In terms of multiplayer I'm getting 80-100 FPS with the same settings though.

Corpekata

Banned
Getting the splash screen crash now.

I did change GPU drivers, in fact I reverted them because I was having issues with the BF1/Civ ones. But the ones I reverted to were for GoW4, so it would be silly if that was the cause, right?

It does seem like Win 10 games have issues with driver changes. Forza thinks you're running the game for the first time every driver update for me.

Edit: WTF just checked, Forza doesn't work either. Neither does Recore. What on earth, a driver change can't be the source of all that right? Gotta be the store I would think.

Edit 2: Tried clean install of old ones, no go, clean install of new ones, and it's working again, at least for Forza and Recore. I had already tried re-downloading Gears so in the middle of that now. So that's kinda lame.

ISee

Very, in my experience. With the exception I mentioned above. Of course, there are quiet sections of the game that won't be as taxing, but you don't want to target those anyway since it would lead to drops in combat.

I'd say it gives a bit higher results than what you will be getting in-game.

I found it to give a little more FPS compared to the campaign proper. The bench said my framerate stayed in the 50-70 range but most of the firefights in the campaign with the same settings hovered in the 40-50 range.

In terms of multiplayer I'm getting 80-100 FPS with the same settings though.

Okay, thx.

Does Shadowplay work with Windows store games, yet?

Had no chance to test it with Gears4 so far, but I was able to record Horizon3 with the newest Geforce Experience.

Getting the splash screen crash now.

I did change GPU drivers, in fact I reverted them because I was having issues with the BF1/Civ ones. But the ones I reverted to were for GoW4, so it would be silly if that was the cause, right?

It does seem like Win 10 games have issues with driver changes. Forza thinks you're running the game for the first time every driver update for me.

Edit: WTF just checked, Forza doesn't work either. Neither does Recore. What on earth, a driver change can't be the source of all that right? Gotta be the store I would think.

Maybe something went wrong while going back to an older driver version. Try to use a tool like DDU to uninstall your nvidia drivers completly and try again.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
L2yF7sy.png

These performance metrics look about right?

I'm getting some bad stuttering online on the latest NVIDIA drivers (375.63). :/

Grechy34

My experience with Gears on PC was an absolute disaster last night. Jumped online with my friend and the game crashed multiple times. The game also kicked him out multiple times. It was frustrating as ever because the game is so bloody good. Seriously if Microsoft can’t do it right on PC why bother at all. I’m downloading the XB1 version at the moment and we’re just going to settle with that.

I am getting random screen freezing on my PC after playing for long sessions. I just have to alt+tab or mash alt+F4 to close the application, which is why I don't think it might not be my GPU overclock (very mild overclock on my 1080).

I monitored the GPU usage (it was around 80% before spiking to 100% when it froze). The temps were around 63c, and there was no driver crash; the screen froze but the sound was playing in the background.

It is very weird because it happened in the menu screen when I barely played the game. Another thing to note is that the other freezing issue on my laptop happens when I set resolution scale to 100% or 1920x1080.

Mechazawa

Have any of the newer Nvidia drivers broken anyone's graphics settings? I can't get Ultra settings to work anymore and changing the graphics settings doesn't actually do anything. It's like my game is stuck on some specific settings, even when I set everything to low. The only way I can even get Low to work is to reboot the game, but when I change settings back to Ultra, they get stuck on some specific, nasty looking settings.

Here's what the game looks like for me with everything set to Ultra:

gow4gyufu.png

I also just now noticed I'm getting that weird garbled line at the very top of my screen.

ss_lemonade

Have any of the newer Nvidia drivers broken anyone's graphics settings? I can't get Ultra settings to work anymore and changing the graphics settings doesn't actually do anything. It's like my game is stuck on some specific settings, even when I set everything to low. The only way I can even get Low to work is to reboot the game, but when I change settings back to Ultra, they get stuck on some specific, nasty looking settings.

Here's what the game looks like for me with everything set to Ultra:

gow4gyufu.png

I also just now noticed I'm getting that weird garbled line at the very top of my screen.

What GPU do you have? My current setup (a 3gb 780 desktop and a 3gb 970m laptop) both have trouble keeping the good looking textures displayed so I randomly get stuff like that, unfortunately. It's been like that ever since I started playing a week ago

Mechazawa

What GPU do you have? My current setup (a 3gb 780 desktop and a 3gb 970m laptop) both have trouble keeping the good looking textures displayed so I randomly get stuff like that, unfortunately. It's been like that ever since I started playing a week ago

I've got a 980, but the game did not look anywhere near like that as of two drivers ago.

And the problem is that it looks like that throughout the entire game. It's like my textures are stuck on Medium for everything and I think AO just straight up doesn't work.

nstine

I've got a 980, but the game did not look anywhere near like that as of two drivers ago.

And the problem is that it looks like that throughout the entire game. It's like my textures are stuck on Medium for everything and I think AO just straight up doesn't work.

Have you tried using DDU / doing a clean install to completely remove the driver before reinstalling it? It's possible that remnants of the previous driver may be conflicting with the new driver. If you have already done that then NVidia may have released a bad driver and you may have to rollback to a previous driver.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone have a guess as to why my GPU is only 90% utilized from my benchmark above?

Mechazawa

Have you tried using DDU / doing a clean install to completely remove the driver before reinstalling it? It's possible that remnants of the previous driver may be conflicting with the new driver. If you have already done that then NVidia may have released a bad driver and you may have to rollback to a previous driver.

This is ultimately what I ended up doing(rolling back to the previous driver I used) and it fixed the game.

I hope it was like you said and the driver just installed funky rather than it outright having issues with my PC. :/

ss_lemonade

To someone with hardware capable of running the game at max settings with no issues, is this what medium env textures actually look like for you too?

dOhhoMX.png

That can't be right, right?? I'm seriously having trouble trying to get good texture settings for my laptop. Recommended for my 970m is medium environment texture quality but this is what I see with that setting. If I force it to high or ultra, I get better textures but in exchange, other textures randomly fallback to low quality.

Run-M-Run

1. Where in the world is the download location for the game? I cannot find ANYTHING. I googled that there should be a folder called windows apps but it's empty.
2. My download size is 81gb and keeps going with no end in sight? Is this normal?

dr_rus

1. Where in the world is the download location for the game? I cannot find ANYTHING. I googled that there should be a folder called windows apps but it's empty.
2. My download size is 81gb and keeps going with no end in sight? Is this normal?

If you haven't changed the default location then it's in the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

If you have then it's on the disk you've chosen in WindowsApps root folder.

And I think that the game's folder won't appear there until the download will be complete. It downloads to some temporary folder.

Carlius

Banned

its a well known issue in the windows store...thats how broken it is. delete all you can, reset the store using windows key +r, type wsreset.exe, make SURE you are on the LATEST WINDOWS BUILD, you can windows key + r type winver to see what version you are on.
make sure youre xbox app is running with your profile and actively working and its not in some hiatus where you need to finish setting it up. good luck

Run-M-Run

If you haven't changed the default location then it's in the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

If you have then it's on the disk you've chosen in WindowsApps root folder.

And I think that the game's folder won't appear there until the download will be complete. It downloads to some temporary folder.

That folder location doesn't even exist for me.

MCD

I don't know what they did but the update is downloading normally for me. Like, it's not jumping from one percentage to another or appear frozen for mins etc.

I guess the store is finally usable? lol

Run-M-Run

It's a hidden folder. Try pasting "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" into the Explorer address bar. Chances are that you will get a missing permissions lock this way but it's there.

I unhid it but now I'm dealing with access denied even though I'm the goddamn adminstrator... I never had to deal with this crap with 7.

pr0cs

The game seems really hard on the hardware, I have to use the recommended settings because ultra drops frames badly some sections drop to low 20s and cutscenes are a laggy beautiful mess.
I find the benchmark tool rather useless as it reports 60fps consistently yet as I mentioned in game esp the "prodigal son" chapter begin which for whatever reason is painfully slow.
Running a i7-5820 and 4gb 980gtx.

Volimar

The game seems really hard on the hardware, I have to use the recommended settings because ultra drops frames badly some sections drop to low 20s and cutscenes are a laggy beautiful mess.
I find the benchmark tool rather useless as it reports 60fps consistently yet as I mentioned in game esp the "prodigal son" chapter begin which for whatever reason is painfully slow.
Running a i7-5820 and 4gb 980gtx.

I got those issues too. I locked my frames to 60 as was suggested in this thread and it made a huge difference in the amount of lag. But I'm still playing Gears of low quality textures.

Wait, so, just got this game, is it recommended to NOT run with unlocked/unlimited frame rate then? Lock it to 60? Sort of defeats the purpose of such a nice monitor and other hardware that can push it beyond that.

Sky87

Just had to reinstall the entire game on PC because for some reason the game-folder had shrunk down to 7GB and the game-icon for Gears 4 in my start menu was blank. Tried starting the game and got some kind of ''descriptor'' error. Must be some kind of problem with one of the latest patches, because i haven't played the game since launch week.

RedSwirl

I want to run the game in 1440p but have the dynamic resolution go down to 1080p whenever it needs to. What proportion do I set the scaling to in order to get that? Does the setting even work that well? I'm on a 1070.

Mupod

Last I checked they said multi-gpu support would be in 'very soon' and that was a couple months ago...any updates?

I never had the chance to play this as I was still on Win7, but I built my new system yesterday. Game is 40% off in the store and with PC/console crossplay happening this weekend I kinda want to jump in. But I'd rather wait and experience the game with the full power of my PC.

abracadaver

Still not able to download this game

A few hours ago I saw someone suggesting how to fix the windows store but I can't find it anymore. Don't even remember which thread it was in.

It wasn't wsreset but something else you do outside of the store. Does anyone know what it could be? I want to try it again

hwalker84

Still not able to download this game

A few hours ago I saw someone suggesting how to fix the windows store but I can't find it anymore. Don't even remember which thread it was in.

It wasn't wsreset but something else you do outside of the store. Does anyone know what it could be? I want to try it again

Just rebuilt my PC. Neither this game or Forza show as being able to be downloaded. They just say manage and send me to my library which for some reason doesn't show them. I was able to download Apex and Halo 5: Forge.

Edit: Wsreset.exe made it so I can at least download the non ultimate editions. Still don't show up in My Library. Brand new install with the latest Windows 10 Iso. All up to date.

I'm yet again amazed by how broken the UWP platform is.

I just made a shortcut for the game (amazing how convoluted they made that btw) and I just witnessed with my own eyes how Gear of War 4 was deleted from my hard drive. Literally the second I made the shortcut, the folder "Microsoft.SpartaUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe" was deleted.

I guess I just gotta download 80GB again.

hwalker84

I'm yet again amazed by how broken the UWP platform is.

I just made a shortcut for the game (amazing how convoluted they made that btw) and I just witnessed with my own eyes how Gear of War 4 was deleted from my hard drive. Literally the second I made the shortcut, the folder "Microsoft.SpartaUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe" was deleted.

I guess I just gotta download 80GB again.
All you do is drag the icon from the start menu to whatever folder you want the shortcut to be. Don't have to get fancy.

Gitaroo

Does dynamic resolution work in this game? I want my game to render at the highest possible res and drop when the pc can't handle the game. Turn on dynamic resolution scale and scale amount to 50 and frame rate limit to 60fps. But I still have to set scaled resolution to 50%@1080p, shouldn't it be automatically so I can just leave it at 3840x2160?

Top Bottom