• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 PC Performance Thread

dr_rus

I'm yet again amazed by how broken the UWP platform is.

I just made a shortcut for the game (amazing how convoluted they made that btw) and I just witnessed with my own eyes how Gear of War 4 was deleted from my hard drive. Literally the second I made the shortcut, the folder "Microsoft.SpartaUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe" was deleted.

I guess I just gotta download 80GB again.

Don't you just feel the power of security and protection from keyloggers?

Run-M-Run

Finally got this mess up and running but anyone know a way to use Dualshock 3? I've tried DS3 tool but it's not recognizing it in the game. Other games work just fine with it.

just got this up and running. Haven't even started the game yet, but I'm very impressed with the benchmark tool built into the game. Very easy to tweak setting and monitor impact.

Also very happy with the performance (admittedly only based on the benchmark) but 1080FE/6700K/16GB and I'm at all ultra and 2987x1680 getting pretty close to locked 60. I'm assuming this is because of the UE4 optimization?

In any regard, excited to play a pallet cleanser after FFXV. Anything I should know about the PC version before i get started?

zXe

What video settings do people on a GTX 970 use? do you have everything on ultra at 1080p? or anything turned down a notch?

Sydle

just got this up and running. Haven't even started the game yet, but I'm very impressed with the benchmark tool built into the game. Very easy to tweak setting and monitor impact.

Also very happy with the performance (admittedly only based on the benchmark) but 1080FE/6700K/16GB and I'm at all ultra and 2987x1680 getting pretty close to locked 60. I'm assuming this is because of the UE4 optimization?

In any regard, excited to play a pallet cleanser after FFXV. Anything I should know about the PC version before i get started?

No, game runs beautifully all the way through to the end. A bit shorter than previous Gears games, so take your time with it.

Cross posting with Forza thread but just in case someone here knows the solution:

For some reason both this and Forza Horizon 3 are locked at 30FPS for me. Gears lets me select higher framerate locks but stays at 30FPs, and Forza won't even let me go beyond the 30 FPS locked.
Non-Windows store games are fine. I've checked that my display is set to 60Hz and I've disabled game DVR. Any ideas what's causing this?

noomi

This is now the 3rd time I am having to re-install gear of war 4.... and I haven't even fucking played it once.

I will download the gigantic 82GB worth of game files, make sure the game runs.... then come back to it a day later and it tells me to install it again.... making me re-download another 82GB......

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON

I am never buying another game from the Microsoft store again, fuck this shit.

Dacon

Banned
So I've been having a weird problem and I'm not sure what's going on.

I've been getting BSOD errors while playing gears and only gears 4, and they almost always occur during cutscenes.

It's a page fault in a non paged area error every time.

Where it says what failed something like nvdlm but longer is listed.

Is anyone else having this sort of problem? My game is located on my secondary HDD while I'm running my OS on my ssd.

Hawk269

Did Gears 4 ever get multi-gpu support? I have not tried the game in a while and was wondering if they had added it yet.

Sydle

You guys been through the thread of known issues and workarounds on the official forum?

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...16/db97a638-414a-4f40-a8b6-2a244adc4994/posts

So I've been having a weird problem and I'm not sure what's going on.

I've been getting BSOD errors while playing gears and only gears 4, and they almost always occur during cutscenes.

It's a page fault in a non paged area error every time.

Where it says what failed something like nvdlm but longer is listed.

Is anyone else having this sort of problem? My game is located on my secondary HDD while I'm running my OS on my ssd.

I have the same setup and never encountered an issue in my play through.

TMWNN35

Just rebuilt my PC. Neither this game or Forza show as being able to be downloaded. They just say manage and send me to my library which for some reason doesn't show them.

I had the same problem, accessing the games through the Xbox app somehow made the store realise I should be able to download them.

Sky87

Just had to reinstall the entire game on PC because for some reason the game-folder had shrunk down to 7GB and the game-icon for Gears 4 in my start menu was blank. Tried starting the game and got some kind of ''descriptor'' error. Must be some kind of problem with one of the latest patches, because i haven't played the game since launch week.

Just happened again with the latest patch. Only the patch folder is left on the drive, the main game folder (80+GB) just vanished after the update completed.

I'm done with buying anything on this store. It has happened with Forza Horizon 3 as well.

Is there any way to get the trigger vibration to work? I have an elite with the wireless adapter, and the trigger vibration works within the Xbox setup utility, but not in game.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Just started this last night, and damn this game runs like a dream.

AqxPhg5.jpg

dr_rus

Wow the the FPS literally doubled do any other DX12 games scale like this with mGPU set ups?

Actually, most DX12 games which support mGPU scale pretty much exactly like this because anything less than perfect scaling would be a waste to implement for developers.

Mupod

I picked this up on the CDKeys sale since multi-gpu support was in. At first the game ran amazingly well, holding 120-200 fps on ultra. But if I play long enough my vram usage keeps going up and up, and it stops loading textures properly. I end up with PS2 graphics, doesn't seem to change no matter what I do with settings. I tried running at medium and it still happens, the game looks like dog shit.

I tried reinstalling, and turning off my overclocks. Running the latest driver because it said it was optimized for gears 4 SLI...gonna try rolling back, I guess.

i7-6700k@4.8
2x GTX970

update: rolled back drivers and it seemed to help a bit, but eventually vram usage creeped back up. Disabling 'tiled resources' was another recommendation I saw, but I still eventually need to restart the game to fix this.

For example, I just had to stop playing because vram usage hit 5.5GB and the game turned into a slideshow. Restarted, and it's now using 2.2GB and running 120fps at ultra.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
sorry for the bump. But I was wondering if these stats are good:
Epi9S40.jpg

I'm getting weird spikes while playing the MP.

PowerK

I bought GoW4 recently.

An interesting thing I learned recently is that performance difference between setting resolution in-game and setting resolution in desktop (DSR) is quite big. I don't know why there's a difference in performance in this game.

The latest GeForce driver v388.10 Hotfix was used.
Windows 10 Pro v1709 Fall Creators Update
In GoW4 graphic settings:
Everything = Ultra
Depth of field = Insane.

1. In-game resolution set to 200% (5120x2880)
Average FPS = 63.2
Screenshot: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4470/37296038284_e87d0741ba_o_d.jpg

2. Desktop resolution set to 5k (5120x2880) and in-game resolution at 100% (5120x2880)
Average FPS = 88.7
Screenshot: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4454/24153198638_07b0ae0084_o_d.jpg

dr_rus

Could be that when you use in-game resolution scale there's more happening in higher resolution than if you do it via DSR.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Game is unplayable for me. I have an NVIDIA card and I can play for maybe 30 minutes before the game hard crashes my whole PC.

PowerK

Could be that when you use in-game resolution scale there's more happening in higher resolution than if you do it via DSR.
Nah.... 5k is 5k. 5120x2880.
Upon re-running the benchmark again, I noticed that:

1. 5k resolution set in desktop. And in-game resolution at 100% (5120x2880)
GPU utilization during benchmark hovers 96-99% on both GPUs.

2. 2560x1440 reaolution set in desktop. And in-game resolution at 200% (5120x2880)
GPU utilization is at constant 99% on GPU1. However, GPU2 hovers only around 45-65%.

I'm not sure if this is due to Nvidia driver or game itself. But there it is.

PowerK

Game is unplayable for me. I have an NVIDIA card and I can play for maybe 30 minutes before the game hard crashes my whole PC.
I'm sorry to hear that. Reading official GoW4 forums and reddit, I see many people are affected by this system stability problem in GoW4. I don't experience this in GoW4 fortunately.
What graphic card are yoi using?

dr_rus

Nah.... 5k is 5k. 5120x2880.
Upon re-running the benchmark again, I noticed that:

1. 5k resolution set in desktop. And in-game resolution at 100% (5120x2880)
GPU utilization during benchmark hovers 96-99% on both GPUs.

2. 2560x1440 reaolution set in desktop. And in-game resolution at 200% (5120x2880)
GPU utilization is at constant 99% on GPU1. However, GPU2 hovers only around 45-65%.

I'm not sure if this is due to Nvidia driver or game itself. But there it is.

Oh you have SLI. This explains it, yeah.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm sorry to hear that. Reading official GoW4 forums and reddit, I see many people are affected by this system stability problem in GoW4. I don't experience this in GoW4 fortunately.
What graphic card are yoi using?

1060 GTX 6GB.

Top Bottom