• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gears of War remaster coming to Xbox One, sources say" (by Splash Damage)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
First game was the only one I played, so I would be much more interested in a collection. But if the price is right I might get a remake of the first one

lol, everyone has been hearing rumblings.

The question is whether or not it's just the first game.

As included with my edit, take my info with a (fairly sizeable) grain of salt, but I've heard it's a "reworking" of the original Gears, akin to Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary with reworked cutscenes, a "modern feel" from being taken into a new engine and multiplayer on Dedis.

Salty Hippo

A remaster of the first one? That game was forgettable at best.

It was one of the most influential games of the past 10 years and the first display of a true generation leap on the previous consoles. But sure, "forgettable at best". Whatever floats your boat I guess.

MattyG

Banned
Just the first one? Nope. A collection could've sold me on an Xbox One, but not just the first, especially not it they're going to try to sell it as a full retail title.

.la1n

If it's a significant update to the original game then I'll be all over it, easily my fondest memory of the last generation was co-op through the original story.

People saying just the first one should probably wait until Microsoft actually announce the product. As it is, Jason's right, we have a logo, it doesn't even seem like Polygon's source is a development one, which could have provided more information

only porting and remastering the first game seems weird, and no way it would fly at full price unless it was god tier quality 11/10 stuff.

Gears 3 MP was pretty much perfected MP anyway, but the other two games have their own charm for MP, the first one being huge rose tinted glasses for me.

People saying just the first one should probably wait until Microsoft actually announce the product. As it is, Jason's right, we have a logo, it doesn't even seem like Polygon's source is a development one, which could have provided more information

im assuming their source is just people with the beta. Which if thats the case, people with the beta cant even get past the main menu as of right now from what ive heard

no maam

Banned
Hope they don't release a collection on one disk. If I were ms. Microsoft I wouldn't want another chief mix on my hands. Haven't played any Gears so I wouldn't be against picking it up, if it's priced accordingly.

MattyG

Banned
Hope they don't release a collection on one disk. If I were ms. Microsoft I wouldn't want another chief mix on my hands. Haven't played any Gears so I wouldn't be against picking it up, if it's prices accordingly.
It's going to be a full $60 title. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

ElRenoRaven

Meh if true I'm sad. It really should be a trilogy collection if they're doing it. That I would buy day 1. Otherwise I'll wait till cheap.

A remaster of the first one? That game was forgettable at best.

P2vkwAS.gif

GoW was one of the best Third Person Shooters of all time tho!

zychi

Banned
Kinda wish it would be remade in UE4. I'll take what I can get at least.
Windows too?

doubtful

people are still waiting on mcc on pc, forza, sunset overdrive, and every other ms released game

e: i hope they get rid of tdm for whatever version of this game is. tdm ruined the mp experience for it.

Plasma

Banned
If it's just the first game I really couldn't care less, I enjoyed the MP at the time but Gears 3 just plays so much better I don't think I could ever go back to either of the first two.

im assuming their source is just people with the beta. Which if thats the case, people with the beta cant even get past the main menu as of right now from what ive heard

I think its safe to assume this as well, the beta isn't even active right now so no one can be sure what the game is until the servers come on.

Give me Gears 3 multi-player, ignore the other two because if it's a 3 in 1 it might not work. Maybe Horde Mode and the 3 campaigns and I'd be beyond happy.

BriGuy

I played the shit out of this game. I don't think I can ever go back to it, but if you've never played the original for whatever reason, it's probably the best of the trilogy.

onQ123

I only played Gears a few times wasn't really into it but I'm happy that this is happening because I like seeing older games with updated graphics.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Only the first game?

It sounds like it may be an Anniversary type game not a remaster. If its that I am in. But if its just a remaster, give us all three/four damn it.

Ape

Banned
I wouldn't say that. It shaped last gen. Was the story/campaign forgettable? Sure, but the gameplay mechanics shaped third person games last gen and continues to do so this gen too...

Come on, you aren't giving it enough credit. Maybe the story wasn't the greatest but it had a few moments. The Berserker fight was one of the most memorable moments from last gen, easily. How about the corpser popping up for the first time? For the people that beat it I'm sure everyone remembers the Train. Gears hasn't been in my 360 for years and that's all pretty fresh in my head.

Tapejara

Hopefully it's for the whole series. I didn't really like Gears 1 (only played single player), but I loved Gears 2. Haven't played 3 yet, so I'm holding out for a remaster of that one as well.

Voliko

If the movement isn't like 3 then count me out. I would have bought an Xbox one if it was a collection with all the maps and GoW3 style MP :/

I mean, I can't imagine them not implementing the tweaks present in the later games.

I'm confused. First, Black Tusk showed a trailer for Shangheist. Then we were told that wasn't a real game, and they were actually working on a new Gears game. Now it turns out it's just a remaster of the original game? =/

Gamers are some of the most easily confused people on the planet.

Gears of War + Unreal4 + Gameplay refinements of GEoW3 = heaven

God yes! Needs horde mode too though!

Come on, you aren't giving it enough credit. Maybe the story wasn't the greatest but it had a few moments. The Berserker fight was one of the most memorable moments from last gen, easily. How about the corpser popping up for the first time? For the people that beat it I'm sure everyone remembers the Train. Gears hasn't been in my 360 for years and that's all pretty fresh in my head.

It had a few moments, but it was mostly forgettable. I can't remember a single story point from the campaign.

Allforce

If they're going to announce this at E3 I wouldn't be shocked if it came AFTER a reveal of the new Gears of War for current-gen.

-Standard teaser or "all footage captured in-game" cinematic trailer,
-"Coming Holiday 2016".

-Followed by "To keep fans Gear'd up for the next installment of the Gears of War series, we'll be releasing "Gears of War Anniversary THIS holiday...only on XBox One. A full remaster of the original Gears of War title, complete with all of the game modes and maps that a generation of gamers fell in love with."

This shit writes itself.

Top Bottom