• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: UE PC performance thread

AHAHHAH The first one. LMAO An 860m is a trash GPU did this guy really think he could run Gears on it.

Also if nobody already knows they are making a alternative windows 10 games store.

That picture is incredible. It's almost like people have forgotten that once upon a time, if you wanted to play Half Life 2, you were forced to use some piece of trash software that didn't work, and everyone hated it, and loads of people couldnt play the game. I think it was called Steam or something

Kezen

Banned
That picture is incredible. It's almost like people have forgotten that once upon a time, if you wanted to play Half Life 2, you were forced to use some piece of trash software that didn't work, and everyone hated it, and loads of people couldnt play the game. I think it was called Steam or something

Different times. There is no excuse for such a dismal service anno 2016.

abracadaver

16 GB RAM
Fury X

In 1440p with everything set to highest

Benchmark shows me 44fps average, but it stutters like crazy every few seconds sometimes freezing for like a second. When it doesn't stutter it goes to 60fps.

I hope the patch comes out soon.

dmix90

Well as expected......... Game is a stutter fest right now + absolutely disgusting framerate lock implementation in worst traditions of ingame locks on pc and no RTSS to save the day. Awful.

i7 6700k@4.5ghz
16GB DDR4@2666mhz
GTX 970 SLI@1506mhz( of course only one card is working there )

GPU usage is around 60-70% on 1080p and everything else at max. On the first run of benchmark framerate can drop to 47 during stutters after camera switch then quickly recover to 60, on second run its 58-60 fps all around. Absolutely disgusting! Are they recompiling shaders at real time each run? What the hell?
Afterburner reports memory usage from 3800mb to 3950 on the level after tutorial. Don't think stutters are because of gimped 0.5gb on 970 since everyone has them.

Kezen

Banned
Well as expected......... Game is a stutter fest right now + absolutely disgusting framerate lock implementation in worst traditions of ingame locks on pc and no RTSS to save the day. Awful.

i7 6700k@4.5ghz
16GB DDR4@2666mhz
GTX 970 SLI@1506mhz( of course only one card is working there )

GPU usage is around 60-70% on 1080p and everything else at max. On the first run of benchmark framerate can drop to 47 during stutters after camera switch then quickly recover to 60, on second run its 58-60 fps all around. Absolutely disgusting! Are they recompiling shaders at real time each run? What the hell?
Afterburner reports memory usage from 3800mb to 3950 on the level after tutorial. Don't think stutters are because of gimped 0.5gb on 970 since everyone has them.

It's possible in your case you simply don't have enough VRAM. Try lowering textures to fit your 970's VRAM.

tuna_love

Banned
Im getting 60 at 1440p on highest settings bar locking framerate in sp

980ti
32gb ddr4
On an ssd

multi doesn't work at all for me

gossi

Lots of people are young and simply don't know. People hated Steam. It caused a huge backlash.

dmix90

It's possible in your case you simply don't have enough VRAM. Try lowering textures to fit your 970's VRAM.
Well looks like that's the case. I forced my hand to lower settings to high then medium textures. On high setting there are same stutters and frame drops during benchmark and gameplay with memory usage ~3700mb. Then tried medium and benchmark is 58-60 even on the first run with memory usage ~2500mb while benchmarking. During brief gameplay session memory usage started from 2500 and jumped to 3500mb in a few minutes.

Medium textures on 970? Already?
Nooooooooooooooooooo

Kezen

Banned
Well looks like that's the case. I forced my hand to lower settings to high then medium textures. On high setting there are same stutters and frame drops during benchmark and gameplay with memory usage ~3700mb. Then tried medium and benchmark is 58-60 even on the first run with memory usage ~2500mb while benchmarking. During brief gameplay session memory usage started from 2500 and jumped to 3500mb in a few minutes.

Medium textures on 970? Already?
Nooooooooooooooooooo

Yep, this game really asks for 4gb for high/highest textures apparently.

Honestly you should have seen it coming ever since the 970's memory configuration was revealed.

holygeesus

Banned
I don't think stutter is entirely VRAM related, as I get some when new locations are loaded into memory and I have a 980ti.

dmix90

Yep, this game really asks for 4gb for high/highest textures apparently.

Honestly you should have seen it coming ever since the 970's memory configuration was revealed.
I bought cards before that thing was revealed( btw... fuck you NVidia! ) and right now my only hope is that combined vram in mGPU mode is a thing under DX12. So far even just mGPU is not a thing haha. Also i have not noticed any stutter problems in other games i played even if they used all 4gb including broken 0.5, guess it's an engine thing.... sigh

Vitacat

Wow... I'm actually glad I have these games on XB1 instead now. Sounds like PC versions are not being handled well.

Kezen

Banned
I bought cards before that thing was revealed( btw... fuck you NVidia! ) and right now my only hope is that combined vram in mGPU mode is a thing under DX12. So far even just mGPU is not a thing haha. Also i have not noticed any stutter problems in other games i played even if they used all 4gb including broken 0.5, guess it's an engine thing.... sigh
I would not hope for multi GPU DX12 to add VRAM really. And there are other games where the 970's VRAM configuration can become somewhat problematic.
It's a good GPU though and I would like to see its DX12 features used.

DonMigs85

I'm almost convinced a headless chicken is making all the decisions for Microsoft's gaming division. It's been one train wreck after another.

SliChillax

What excatly doesn't work? Read my comment above (69), maybe it helps. ;)
Nothing happens when I press Win+G in game but when I only press the Win key the start and taskbar show up which makes the cutscenes and loading times run smooth. Such a weird issue. Game still feels choppy with gsync.

Don't be a dick. You know full fucking well that when people were asking for this game on PC they did not mean they wanted a shitty botched copy exclusively on the Windows Store. Y'know, like the same thing tiny indie developers and small publishers manage all the time.

Check that post history before you reply. The guy does not deserve serious responses.
Can't just judge by one game...

Horrible first impression. Kind of like shitting your pants for the 3rd time in a row every time you see your in laws.

Carlius

Banned
lol dont see how this game is demanding at all...working very well for me and havent had many issues finding matches either. If this is how quantum break will be then i am buying it as well, cause ive had 0 issues and i dont really care for any third party stuff in these games.

Lots of people are young and simply don't know. People hated Steam. It caused a huge backlash.
It's different now though. There are standards that have been in place for years, and there's no excuse for applying artificial limitations that games from the Windows Store possess (vsync, borderless full screen, no overlays)

Koutsoubas

The fact that people are OK playing with no real fullscreen functionality, is beyond me!

The image seems wrong without proper fullscreen! Its like going to the cinema and try to watch a movie with the lights on!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!

hlhbk

The fact that people are OK playing with no real fullscreen functionality, is beyond me!

The image seems wrong without proper fullscreen! Its like going to the cinema and try to watch a movie with the lights on!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!

I have a ton of issues with the port, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Corpekata

Banned

NO!!!!!!!!!

What are you talking about?

The only way what you are describing makes sense is if you have a monitor res that the game doesn't support.

w0s

NO!!!!!!!!!

I must be blind. It looked fine to me.

Now if only it had couch co-op :(

Have the people with stuttering issues tried multiplayer? It's a night and day difference from campaign, runs super smooth in mp... if you can connect.

dr_rus

What was the point of this being DX12? The original was extremely well optimized on DX9. It ran flawlessly at 1080p on videocards of that era (nearly 10 fucking years ago)

DX12 at this point is such a poison chalice. Hitman / Quantum Break really need to smash it out of the park.

Is it just me or are we moved to a universe where either of two things can happen:

A. A DX12 game runs like crap on NV h/w but is completely fine on AMD's - this is how things are meant to be, NV is doomed, all hail AMD.

B. A DX12 game runs like crap on AMD h/w but is completely fine on NV's - this is a disaster, what's the poing of DX12, it's such a poison, let's hope that and AMD's GE title will make things proper into variant A.

I don't have any issues with the game running on my 980Ti.

Since it's not an .exe or traditonal application, nothing we have will hook into it. It's Microsoft's bullshit "Universal Applications," so stuff we have right now doesn't work because of the limitations that are built into it. So right now there's no real way to see FPS other than the bench mark.

dxtory?

The fact that they couldn't even get the Xbone version to run at 60FPS in Single Player is a problem in itself. This game is just not optimized properly.

hlhbk

Can't just judge by one game...

Why can't you judge from just one game? This was their first huge release after saying how committed they were to PC gaming. If anything this HAD to be the game to show everyone they were serious about what they said. There is NO WAY they should have released the game in the state we got it, and also NO WAY they should have forced the Windows store on us.

Now with the word out about Quantum Break's cutscenes not being on the disc and only the Xbox One version being able to download them they literally couldn't have had a worse showing than they have had.

Be smart here Microsoft. Either get out of the PC space, or do it right.

phyrlord

It takes me over 10 minutes to get into the main menu with gsync activated. I can play the game with it disabled but it feels choppy and when I lock the framerate it feels worse than 30fps. Without framerate lock and no gsync I get these weird stuttering and frame skips from time to time. 1440p, i7 5820k, 980ti, 16gb ram

Am I missing something? What happened to Vsync? lol

The fact that they couldn't even get the Xbone version to run at 60FPS in Single Player is a problem in itself. This game is just not optimized properly.
Which Xbox One exclusive that has been ported to the PC which ran at 30 fps on consoles can easily be run at 60 fps on PC?

I'm not saying there aren't any (Ryse probably counts) but there are more that don't than do. There is much more to optimisation than 'can it hit 1080p 60fps?'

Anarkin

Thanks for this tip. This works in not only fixing the cutscenes and load times it also greatly reduces the stutter/hitches.

I'm glad it worked for you.

Nothing happens when I press Win+G in game but when I only press the Win key the start and taskbar show up which makes the cutscenes and loading times run smooth. Such a weird issue. Game still feels choppy with gsync.

Nothing happens, you mean the Game Bar doesn't show up when you press Win + G? Try to run the game in windowed mode then (ALT + ENTER). When the cutscene is over just hit ALT + ENTER and you're in fullscreen mode again. ;)

Top Bottom