• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: UE PC performance thread

dmix90

just thought i'd ask here since a lot of people in here would naturally have the PC version.

does the game use the impulse/vibration triggers on PC?
I don't think they are working in PC version. Process explorer shows that game uses "new" Windows.Gaming.Input DLL so its probably yet another missing feature from PC version.

Seems pretty equal to me. 970 is leading in some places, 390 is leading in other places.

DF should start posting the actual framerates of their tests instead of describing how something works with words.

did you watch to the 1440p test? its not even close to being equal. 1080p is hitting some odd bottleneck. an overclocked titan x shows only slightly less drops than a 970 and 390 @ 1080p

dr_rus

did you watch to the 1440p test? its not even close to being equal. 1080p is hitting some odd bottleneck. an overclocked titan x shows only slightly less drops than a 970 and 390 @ 1080p

1440p is likely to be VRAM limited on 970.

Again, these are not benchmarks. Give me numbers and frametimes.

Crisium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS2DLNRaBbw

amd takes quite a large perf lead after patches and drivers fix performance

I'm happy the dev patches and drivers together seemed to have brought parity. In the live frametime comparisons at 1080p, early on the 970 has more frametime spikes and later on the 390 has more. Although at 1440p it is more AMD favored in this comparison.

I would have liked them to test GCN 1.2 Fiji or Tonga though, as that's the architecture that showed the biggest problems at launch.

knerl

That's it. I'm refunding the game. Damn it looks bad. 4GB VRAM and so called 'Ultra' textures. No way in hell the textures require that much. Multiplayer is deader than Elvis.

Battlefront or Vermintide?

EDIT: Say what you want about the game or the store, but the online support went extremely smooth.
A quick chat with their support and the game has already been refunded.

dr_rus

gow_i7_gpu1.png
gow_i7_gpu2.png
gow_i7_gpu3.png

http://pclab.pl/art68785-5.html

No idea which version they've tested however.

That's it. I'm refunding the game. Damn it looks bad. 4GB VRAM and so called 'Ultra' textures. No way in hell the textures require that much. Multiplayer is deader than Elvis.

EDIT: Say what you want about the game or the store, but the online support went extremely smooth.

That's at least good to know.
Shame it came to that though!
I only wanted greatness for this game on PC! :(

Warxard

Banned

Battlefront is dead on PC but Vermintide is pretty dope

Title Update 3 available for Ultimate Edition on Win10 – 3/30/2016

We are releasing a new Title Update for Gears of War: Ultimate Edition on Tuesday March 29th in the morning and early afternoon hours Pacific Time. Below are the update notes that are included in this Title Update.

Ultra-wide resolutions (2560x1080 and 3440x1440) added to the game.
Pipeline state object cache optimizations to reduce hitches during level transitions.
Fixed a bug that could cause full Unreal garbage collect unnecessarily, leading to minor visual hitches.
Fixed a visual corruption bug that would rarely affect NVIDIA cards when changing resolutions and VRAM became over committed.
Added support for setting anisotropic filtering level through the INI file.
Fixed lack of mouse input when using lowest mouse sensitivity and fully zoomed in with sniper rifle and moving the mouse very small amounts.
Adjustments to low (1GB VRAM) texture setting.
Added ability to toggle an FPS counter. Press the “Delete” key at any time to turn the counter on/off.

Still stuttering on a 980 Ti...

frontieruk

Title Update 4 available for Ultimate Edition on Win10 – 4/11/2016

The latest title update for Gears of War: Ultimate Edition For Windows 10 is now available. Below are the update notes for the changes included in this Title Update.
Fixed sniper rifle input when zoomed in.
Restriction on total number of strict NAT machines allowed in MP eliminated.
FPS counter update rate adjusted.
To see our notes for Title Update 3 (deployed March 30th), please visit this thread.

If you experience any issues, please make sure to provide notes in our Technical Support and Help forums. Thank you to our PC players for your continued support and feedback around Gears of War: Ultimate Edition For Windows 10!
Smooth as butter on a Windforce R9 290 OCi...

SliChillax

Just got an update. Checking out if it works properly with gsync now.
Update: Haven't played the game since launch but it feels smoother now, less stuttering overall. There is still slightly some slowdowns when moving the camera fast but not as bad as before. I don't know if it was there before but I can select 4k textures and unlimited framerate. I can also turn vsync on or off.

frontieruk

Title Update 5 - Patch Notes

- Added v-sync toggle to video options. Toggle “off” to not be limited by your monitors refresh rate. Note: This requires an OS update that can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3156421

- Added frame rate limit selector to video options. Use to reduce your frame rate if you are getting too much tearing, or choose unlimited to let the game render as fast as possible. Note: This option is best used with v-sync off. With v-sync on, it will force the game onto a refresh interval (render every refresh, every second refresh, etc.).

- Added anisotropic filtering setting to video options.

- Added FPS counter toggle to video options.

- Fixed a bug where post processing could become disabled.

- Fixed a bug where PSO’s could be created on the fly instead of read from the cache, causing hitches.

Not tested it yet .

Afro

Whoa, feels like there's much less stutter in single player after the patch (aside from loading new areas where I get crazy drops). Not sure if it's placebo - need to do more tests. edit: yeah, seems to be much less stutter. Not gone, but less.

This is w/ in-game v-sync off and g-sync on.

One weird thing though. When I set the in-game frame rate limit to 60fps, it hovers around 65fps. If I set it to 30fps, it hovers around 35fps. This is using the new fps counter.

I'm using the 60 frame rate limit even w/ G-sync because the fps seems pretty erratic above 60.

980 Ti / i7 3770 / 16GB / G-sync

SliChillax

Whoa, feels like there's much less stutter in single player after the patch (aside from loading new areas where I get crazy drops). Not sure if it's placebo - need to do more tests. edit: yeah, seems to be much less stutter.

This is w/ in-game v-sync off and g-sync on.

One weird thing though. When I set the in-game frame rate limit to 60fps, it hovers around 63fps. If I set it to 30fps, it hovers around 33fps. This is using the new fps counter.

I'm using the 60 frame rate limit even w/ G-sync because the fps seems pretty erratic above 60.

980 Ti / i7 3770 / 16GB / G-sync

So I should keep the limiter 60 instead of unlimited? Didn't notice anything weird with it set to unlimited. Same specs as you but with an i7 5820k

Jin

I load up the game after a month of not playing and notice that it now has SLI support. Afterburner showing usage up to 95% from both cards and there's a SLI bits in Nvidia inspector in DX12 tab. I didn't know it was possible to do mGPU in anything but exclusive fullscreen.

riflen

I load up the game after a month of not playing and notice that it now has SLI support. Afterburner showing usage up to 95% from both cards and there's a SLI bits in Nvidia inspector in DX12 tab. I didn't know it was possible to do mGPU in anything but exclusive fullscreen.

Well with DirectX <12 it could "work" in so far as other GPUs would show utilisation, but scaling was almost always awful and latency would go up. Who knows what's been done in this instance though. Sounds like proper implementation.

dmix90

Do you see any artifacts in game when SLI is enabled? Getting crazy flickering on my 970s :(
NBCntfb.gif

Jin

Do you see any artifacts in game when SLI is enabled? Getting crazy flickering on my 970s :(
NBCntfb.gif

I notice a little flicker on some objects like a plant or something minor off in the distance, but nowhere near like that though.

I do notice the stutter is still present especially when it's loading a new area or when I blast someone up close with a shotgun. It's certainly better compare to launch but still need to get rid of this annoying hitching/stuttering.

jonno394

sorry for the bump, but just ran my spec through game-debate and it said I'd only be able to run on medium settings or thereabouts.

Wondering if anyone has experience of using a 280x with this?

(my specs just fyi)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87-D3H
Processor Intel i5 4670K
Video Card 3GB Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X OC WINDFORCE
RAM Corsair Vengeance Jet Black 2x4GB

NeoBob688

Will I actually be able to run the 4K (6 GB VRAM) texture resolution with a Geforce 1070 or is it stuttering regardless of card?

dr_rus

Will I actually be able to run the 4K (6 GB VRAM) texture resolution with a Geforce 1070 or is it stuttering regardless of card?

You will, it's runs fine on a 6GB 980Ti, the stuttering which remains seems to be loading related as it happens on whatever texture resolution you choose.

frontieruk

sorry for the bump, but just ran my spec through game-debate and it said I'd only be able to run on medium settings or thereabouts.

Wondering if anyone has experience of using a 280x with this?

(my specs just fyi)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87-D3H
Processor Intel i5 4670K
Video Card 3GB Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X OC WINDFORCE
RAM Corsair Vengeance Jet Black 2x4GB

Can't say I do, but I don't think they'd be a lot lost by playing at medium.
You will, it's runs fine on a 6GB 980Ti, the stuttering which remains seems to be loading related as it happens on whatever texture resolution you choose.

I didn't notice any stutters on my play through after I want to say the 2nd patch, using an r290x for disclosure.

dr_rus

I didn't notice any stutters on my play through after I want to say the 2nd patch, using an r290x for disclosure.

Well, the game certainly isn't smooth in my view thanks to UWP being limited to borderless window. But stutters are somewhat subjective. What is stuttering to someone can be undetectable to another.

frontieruk

Well, the game certainly isn't smooth in my view thanks to UWP being limited to borderless window. But stutters are somewhat subjective. What is stuttering to someone can be undetectable to another.

Oh no there was what felt like goddamned pauses on release, and I bitched and moaned about microstutter in skyrim to the point I couldn't play it so subjective yes but there is nadda like that here.

knerl

Bought this at launch originally, but refunded since it ran like shit. That was with a GTX 970 and a 2500K I believe. Now I have a 6700K and a GTX 1070. Installed on a good mechanical drive to my surprise the game still stutters far too often with textures on Ultra (much less) or 4K (don't do it) even during critical parts like combat, scripted events or just while looking around in the same area you've been in for a while. There really is no excuse for the streaming issues here. For reference Gears 4 on the same drive is flawless.

So just for the sake of it I freed up space on my fastest SSD (Intel 600p m2 drive) and moved the game there. Now it has a lot less streaming stutter going on even with 4K textures. It still happens sometimes, but now it really is mostly when going to a place where a new area has to be streamed in. 90% good I'd say. Been bothered during combat slightly a couple of times, but it's so much better. This at 1440p and a framerate of 60-100+ maxed out and I'm ok with the performance. Still below what should have been, but with the discount currently offered I bought it again for the campaign and thought this might shed some light on how it runs today with patch 1.10 on my rig. Might convince someone else to buy it.

On Fall Creators Update btw.
In short I'd say that if you're going to play from a mechanical drive Ultra textures is probably the highest you can go w/o wanting to punch the screen. From an SSD depending on your GPU you're probably ok with 4K.

Top Bottom