• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: UE PC performance thread

CHC

I'd say no, I'm on a 5820k and 980 and performace, considering the quality of graphics on offer, is lackluster. I'm just now trying to figure out how I request a refund on the Win10 Store - anyone know?

edit: this page tells me to go to my Order History however GoW is nowhere to be seen, even in the 'Digital Content' tab. Nice.

Worse comes to worst just call them and be nice. If they won't do it just say you'll do a chargeback because the product isn't working for you.

I'm almost positive they do refunds by policy, so I doubt it should be a big issue.

My GoW doesnt start anymore :/

When i click on Open Button in the Store nothing happens.

Damn, i've played for 3 hours last night without any problem and now it wont start! I've change nothing in the meanwhile on my PC. Solution?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'd say no, I'm on a 5820k and 980 and performace, considering the quality of graphics on offer, is lackluster. I'm just now trying to figure out how I request a refund on the Win10 Store - anyone know?

edit: this page tells me to go to my Order History however GoW is nowhere to be seen, even in the 'Digital Content' tab. Nice.

I just got a refund for it. I nicely called 877-696-7786 and mentioned performance issues and they did it straight away.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Amazing how the original GoW release had issues, on GFWL, and now we've come full circle in 2016, on a new Windows store, with major issues on the same game, again.

Microsoft is really amazing.

beeswax

Worse comes to worst just call them and be nice.

I just got a refund for it. I nicely called 877-696-7786 and mentioned performance issues and they did it straight away.

Thanks guys, I called them this morning and after confusing the first lady, getting transferred to Xbox Support and calling back, I managed to get through to the right department. They couldn't explain why I can't see the game in my own Order History but once I gave them all my MS account details they found it.

They did ask if I'd contacted Technical Support, which I haven't but I could tell immediately that this was a hoop they were going to make me jump through so I said yes I had. Do I have a call reference? No, sorry. What did they say? That they're working on fixing the issues in an upcoming patch but couldn't give me a date and I don't want to wait.

Apparently, I held up under interrogation because she then agreed to do the refund.

Carlius

Banned
Thanks for the heads up! I hope it's worth it down the road, and not just something Microsoft abandons.

i am sorry, bu ti have to disagree with his opinion. i have a 970 and the game runs buttery smooth on both sp and mp. ive had aboslutely no issues besides finding competitive matches. maybe its something you should try for yourself.

Will this or any games on the Windows store ever be able to work with G-sync?

They all work already. The only issue Gears has is with cutscenes. Gameplay is 100% working with Gsync. You just have to turn on 'Use G-Sync with windowed games' in your control panel.

I'm thinking about starting a thread on this, because people still believe it doesn't work. When it does, and I've done blind tests to confirm it (plus the onscreen gsync indicator also confirms it).

GSYNC WORKS WITH WINDOWS STORE GAMES.

The only minor issue is that since you can't disable vsync that you get a slight increase in input lag. To put that more plainly, if you never had an issue with input lag when using vsync back before you had a gsync monitor, you'll be just fine.

w0s

I just had a weird instance this morning where I had no sound in my game. Exited and went back in to the program a few times and nothing. Ended up rebooting my system and it had sound. I had sound everywhere else in windows.

holygeesus

Banned
I just had a weird instance this morning where I had no sound in my game. Exited and went back in to the program a few times and nothing. Ended up rebooting my system and it had sound. I had sound everywhere else in windows.

Yep I had that when I applied the last update.

Havoc2049

Amazing how the original GoW release had issues, on GFWL, and now we've come full circle in 2016, on a new Windows store, with major issues on the same game, again.

Microsoft is really amazing.

What issues did the GOW GFWL have? I thought that port was pretty awesome. The graphics were a major upgrade over the X360 version and the extra levels and extra boss battle was pretty awesome as well.

I was already a Live subscriber, so it wasn't that big of an issue for me, but I totally understand PC gamers being pissed off about paying for Live on PC. I bought the GFWL versions of Halo 2, Gears of War and Fallout 3 back in the day and they all worked well and as far as graphics, where way better than the X360 versions and Halo 2 and Fallout 3 had all the user mod support as well.

I feel Microsoft Game Studios was a far better 1st party game developer between say 1997-2009, than they are now. Hopefully Microsoft can get their mojo back.

abracadaver

When will I finally be able to play this game?

I don't even know whose fault this is. Am I waiting for a new AMD driver or has The Coalition to release a patch to fix their game?

Release was over a week ago and I can't play because of the horrible stuttering. This was supposed to be a Windows Store and DX12 showcase? Makes me want to never use the store again.

Bossniak

So it was working fine a couple of days ago but today I am getting a black screen with the omen when starting the game....

Crisium

New Radeon 16.3 drivers are up.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD_Radeon_Software_Crimson_Edition_16.3.aspx

"Updated Crossfire Profiles available for
Hitman™
The Park

Support for​
Hitman™

Performance and Quality improvements for​
Rise of the Tomb Raider™(2)
​Up to 16% on AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X Series vs AMD Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.2.

​Gears of War Ultimate Edition(3)
Up to 60% on AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X series vs AMD Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1
Up to 44% on AMD Radeon™ R9 380 series vs AMD Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1
"

abracadaver

New AMD drivers finally fixed the game

this is in 1440p with highest details on a Fury X:

gearsssfoai6.jpg

Before the driver the average was 42 or so with very bad stuttering

Campaign performance still drops lower sometimes, multiplayer seems smooth 60 from the one match I played

I don't know if freesync works

i am sorry, bu ti have to disagree with his opinion. i have a 970 and the game runs buttery smooth on both sp and mp. ive had aboslutely no issues besides finding competitive matches. maybe its something you should try for yourself.

Yeah I'm surprised at all these shitty port stories. I have an i7 4770k, 970, and with everything max, textures on High, at 1440p, I'm getting almost constant 60fps. Seems like a fine port to me

wazoo

So the new drivers fixed g-sync, but messes with multi-monitor? I haven't installed.

It does not mess with multi-monitor. You have just to unplug DURING install, then replug and everything will work (currently working with 2 monitors).

dr_rus

Yeah I'm surprised at all these shitty port stories. I have an i7 4770k, 970, and with everything max, textures on High, at 1440p, I'm getting almost constant 60fps. Seems like a fine port to me

These stories were coming from AMD users mostly. Hopefully they'll be fine now with the new driver. Which also shows that it's not "shit port" but "shit AMD's DX12 drivers" really.

Mohasus

It does not mess with multi-monitor. You have just to unplug DURING install, then replug and everything will work (currently working with 2 monitors).

Not true, things went batshit crazy when I plugged my TV a few days after updating. But the beta drivers are fine (for now).

Crisium

These stories were coming from AMD users mostly. Hopefully they'll be fine now with the new driver. Which also shows that it's not "shit port" but "shit AMD's DX12 drivers" really.

It's a dev issue, which means its a shit port because they released it knowingly. Though I know you kneejerk any chance to lament AMD drivers. The devs (who also signed EULAs with Nvidia) did not inform AMD the game was even launching, so god forbid they take a couple days to optimize.

G sync works on win 10 apps already?

This is now fixed?

It has worked since Nvidia enabled G-sync to work with windowed software. Under your G-sync page in NVidia control panel, make sure you have the selection allowing windowed apps selected and apply it.

Gears of War had an issue with cutscenes, but gameplay was always working as far as I heard. Rise of the Tomb Raider absolutely works with Gsync when using it as a Win 10 app.

The only harm that comes from being unable to turn off vsync on these apps is reportedly a little more input lag than you'd get with it off. If you never had issues with input lag when using vsync before you had a gsync monitor, this is a none issue. Gsync still works and does what it is supposed to do.

If you have any doubts, set your refresh rate to 60 hz, and test a game that can't hold a locked 60 fps with it on and off. You will see the difference.

dr_rus

It's a dev issue, which means its a shit port because they released it knowingly. Though I know you kneejerk any chance to lament AMD drivers. The devs (who also signed EULAs with Nvidia) did not inform AMD the game was even launching, so god forbid they take a couple days to optimize.

What's a dev issue? The 20 fps loss of Fury which were gained back with the update to the AMD driver today? Such things don't happen often on NV's side because NV's driver is better in general but you may continue to close your eyes on such cases as they obviously ruin your world of innocent furry AMD who is the only source of the info again on them not being informed of the game launching off course.

And I'm not sure what some UELAs have to do with this. But I'm certain that you'll explain soon.

Akronis

What's a dev issue? The 20 fps loss of Fury which were gained back with the update to the AMD driver today? Such things don't happen often on NV's side because NV's driver is better in general but you may continue to close your eyes on such cases as they obviously ruin your world of innocent furry AMD who is the only source of the info again on them not being informed of the game launching off course.

And I'm not sure what some UELAs have to do with this. But I'm certain that you'll explain soon.

AMD probably had to work with The Coalition to add some jank driver hacks to make the game work properly. It's definitely a dev issue.

Pretty sure NVIDIA has had to work with developers and release performance fixes through drivers.

Crisium

What a post.

AMD already informed the press that the game was pushed to launch without their knowledge (and apparently the press didn't know either, as this was a stealth release). The devs failed.

On the other hand this is a Nvidia Gameworks title, it means the devs agreed to accept blackbox Nvidia code for HBAO+ and the agreement is that they cannot share the code.

Now don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean Nvidia necessarily forbade the devs from working with AMD on non-HBAO+ code, but it means the devs contractually worked with Nvidia so it's expected they have good performance out of the gate. They dropped the ball on the AMD side to make sure it launched right, and remember the devs not AMD had to patch the game to fix HBAO+ on GCN 1.2. This was a stealth release, unlike announced titles like The Division, that while Gameworks, obviously perform exceptional on AMD because the Devs clearly have worked within their contractual limits with AMD instead of here where they evidently did quick testing on GCN 1.0 and called it a day.

You don't have to twist every release into something that fits your predisposed notion of "shit AMD drivers" which is a term that could qualify for your catchphrase. This was an atypical messy release on AMD cards in an Nvidia contractual game, but ultimately it is due to the devs more than brand wars. I'm sure you posted about the "shit Nvidia drivers" in Far Cry Primal, especially since that game isn't sponsored, and did not go into Defense Force in that thread. Oh wait.

dr_rus

AMD probably had to work with The Coalition to add some jank driver hacks to make the game work properly. It's definitely a dev issue.

Pretty sure NVIDIA has had to work with developers and release performance fixes through drivers.
If it would be the dev issue then the drivers wouldn't had such big performance increase for their Fury cards today. I haven't heard of any performance fixes on the NV side.

Why is it so hard to see that AMD's DX12 driver is in a bad shape? It's not only Gears which is (or rather was) having issues but the AotS as well which is AMD's title from top to bottom and it's probably hard for them to say that they haven't seen it in a while.

What a post.
Oh, I'm all ears.

AMD already informed the press that the game was pushed to launch without their knowledge (and apparently the press didn't know either, as this was a stealth release). The devs failed.
So here's the thing: AMD can inform whoever they want on whatever they want. I don't trust a word out of a mouth of any company on the market and I don't see any reason to make an exclusion for AMD.

On the other hand this is a Nvidia Gameworks title, it means the devs agreed to accept blackbox Nvidia code for HBAO+ and the agreement is that they cannot share the code.
Yeah, it's not. The inclusion of HBAO+ doesn't make a game into "a Gameworks title". HBAO+ is not a "black box", it's a postprocessing shader provided by NV. A dev can see the code hence the agreement on non distribution (why would you even need one if there are no source access?). A dev can edit the code if the license allows it or request it to be edited by NV if there are issues. So basically all of this is wrong - and most of this info is just you transmitting what AMD said - or should I say lied? - earlier.

Now don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean Nvidia necessarily forbade the devs from working with AMD on non-HBAO+ code, but it means the devs contractually worked with Nvidia so it's expected they have good performance out of the gate. They dropped the ball on the AMD side to make sure it launched right, and remember the devs not AMD had to patch the game to fix HBAO+ on GCN 1.2. This was a stealth release, unlike announced titles like The Division, that while Gameworks, obviously perform exceptional on AMD because the Devs clearly have worked within their contractual limits with AMD instead of here where they evidently did quick testing on GCN 1.0 and called it a day.
HBAO+ have no issues running on AMD in DX11. In fact in lots of games it is running better on AMD than on NV. And I know from Ubi devs for example that NV is fixing problems of their software running on AMD cards even though they are mostly because of AMD's own driver issues than the code itself being faulty. But we're not even talking about this so I don't know what HBAO+ has to do with it - the issues with it were fixed in 1.6 release of the game in question, not by AMD's driver.

As for the stealth release - this doesn't mean that AMD's drivers should kill 33% of performance in it. There were a lot of talk on how NV is using game specific optimizations in their DX11 driver and how DX12 will take care of that. So guess what - here's the DX12 game and here's AMD's new driver optimized for the game to provide up to 60% of performance increase in it. There are only two ways to explain it:

1. AMD is doing app specific optimizations in their DX12 driver - precisely the thing which they were saying won't exist in DX12 and is what's bad in DX11.
2. AMD's DX12 driver is in a bad shape at the moment and they fix it on a case by case basis.

I personally think that it's the 2nd option as I don't think that the 1st one is something that AMD's driver team can even pull off at the moment. And you think that it's somehow the devs fault which makes no sense as it's not the devs who are handling the driver - the devs patch fixed HBAO+ issues but not the performance.

You don't have to twist every release into something that fits your predisposed notion of "shit AMD drivers" which is a term that could qualify for your catchphrase. This was an atypical messy release on AMD cards in an Nvidia contractual game, but ultimately it is due to the devs more than brand wars. I'm sure you posted about the "shit Nvidia drivers" in Far Cry Primal, especially since that game isn't sponsored, and did not go into Defense Force in that thread. Oh wait.
I'm not. If you can go and find where I twist "every release" into "shit AMD drivers" - be my guest, go ahead. But when the driver is obviously the problem - it's the driver. And you don't have to defend AMD in every thread just because you like the company so much.
This game is not "NV contractual" in any way. It's badly optimized for all h/w on the market. This doesn't mean however that this is the sole reason for AMD's issues in it.
FCPrimal is slow on NV's h/w but there are no obvious driver bugs on NV in it. It doesn't stutter and the NV's driver for FCP didn't provide a 60% performance boost in it for 980Ti. So there are no evidence of a bad NV's driver there. There is such evidence in case of GoWUE's performance on AMD.

Crisium

It's not worth trying to get you to unspin your mind, enjoy living in your head. It's now at the point where it's time to dismiss you completely. You're somehow convinced Gears of War is typical of a DX12 game, and underplay the stealth approach from a Gameworks title. It's DX12 alright, but from a 2006 source code with DX11 proprietary Nvidia lighting, stealth rushed to market to be the first DX12 before Hitman. And your denial of HBAO+ being Gameworks is absurd (1, and 2 KO punch, follow the tree that gets you there) and my interpretation of Gameworks isn't from AMD but from the Nvidia EULA where it is quite clear what the end user cannot do.

In the Far Cry Primal thread, because it was unfavorable to your brand, you actually took a relatively reasonable approach for the most part outside of the benchmark wars. The devs and Nvidia both have to do better in that unsponsored game, and the results are atypical. In Hitman it’s odd you refrain from using the term “shit Nvidia drivers” when it seems so applicable to your standards. Then here you simply post “shit AMD drivers” and shift the argument to their fault.

Your benchmark defense war in the Far Cry Primal thread is hilarious, btw, and really says all about your predispositions. Where is your benchmark war here, defending AMD? Why are you already assuaging the Hitman situation? Any release, no matter what, you downplay AMD performance (hey look another example) from today.

Your behavior when one side prevails and the other struggles is entirely dependent on which side you support. You’re branded a member of the green herd. You need to bite your tongue sometimes.

Damn this game uses a lot of VRAM when maxed out. I played for a couple of hours today and after playing I checked my VRAM usage with MSI AB and saw a maximum of 5905MB.

dr_rus

It's not worth trying to get you to unspin your mind, enjoy living in your head. It's now at the point where it's time to dismiss you completely.
Funny to hear that from a person unwilling to see that there are issues with AMD's DX12 driver and saying that it's a dev's fault when there are three DX12 games now showing issues on AMD h/w in DX12 and two of them are from AMD's own Gaming Evolved program. Yeah, I am living in my head here, obviously.

You're somehow convinced Gears of War is typical of a DX12 game, and underplay the stealth approach from a Gameworks title. It's DX12 alright, but from a 2006 source code with DX11 proprietary Nvidia lighting, stealth rushed to market to be the first DX12 before Hitman. And your denial of HBAO+ being Gameworks is absurd (1, and 2 KO punch, follow the tree that gets you there) and my interpretation of Gameworks isn't from AMD but from the Nvidia EULA where it is quite clear what the end user cannot do.
Stealth approach means nothing for a mature driver. Most of games these days are released without IHVs even knowing about them - 99% of indie titles are released this way, and they work just fine mostly without any intervention from any IHV. So this argument is working against you actually - if the stealth release is to blame for the issues on AMD then this is a sign of AMD's own driver problems.
I never denied that HBAO+ is a part of Gameworks. Did you even read? I said that the usage of HBAO+ doesn't make a game into "a Gameworks title". You can get sources access under the license and you can change them - you can't share them, that's a usual approach for a closed source middleware.
The "black box" claim is you transmitting AMD's lies, not sure what any EULA has to do with it.

In the Far Cry Primal thread, because it was unfavorable to your brand, you actually took a relatively reasonable approach for the most part outside of the benchmark wars. The devs and Nvidia both have to do better in that unsponsored game, and the results are atypical. In Hitman it’s odd you refrain from using the term “shit Nvidia drivers” when it seems so applicable to your standards. Then here you simply post “shit AMD drivers” and shift the argument to their fault.
So it's odd that I refrain from something you've made up about me? Well, what a pity.
Yes, I know that it's hard for a fan like you, but I do actually post what I think and not what some brand would like. With Gears it's pretty obvious that AMD's DX12 drivers are bad. It's pretty obvious with Hitman now as well from all the issues guys at PCGamesHw.de are having. It was somewhat obvious from the FCAT issues with AotS benchmark earlier. You are the one who don't see the reality here.

Your benchmark defense war in the Far Cry Primal thread is hilarious, btw, and really says all about your predispositions. Where is your benchmark war here, defending AMD? Why are you already assuaging the Hitman situation? Any release, no matter what, you downplay AMD performance (hey look another example) from today.
Example being me waiting for more benchmarks before agreeing that a new game favor AMD's h/w straight away? You're beyond help.

Your behavior when one side prevails and the other struggles is entirely dependent on which side you support. You’re branded a member of the green herd. You need to bite your tongue sometimes.
You're branded a member of a red herd as all you do is attack those who don't agree with AMD's side of things. Partially because of that and partially because you're not actually providing any supporting data for your argument I won't be doing anything you ask of me. Your point of view is skewed and even if you think that mine is too - this doesn't give you any right to say who should be biting his tongue when.

And what driver might that be? I'm on 362.00 and have no issues at all.

the driver that has issues in every other dx12 game.
-hitman - bad performance and crashing
-ashes of singularity - bad performance

IIRC ark survival also completely put its dx12 release on hold because of issues with nvidia.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

IIRC ark survival also completely put its dx12 release on hold because of issues with nvidia.

I haven't heard many issues there.

dr_rus

nvidias dx12 driver is in as bad or worse shape when compared to amds.

It's possible but it's in a better shape than AMD's from what we know so far.

Bad performance is not necessarily a sign of driver problems, especially when the game code is from AMD's Gaming Evolved program.

We don't know why Ark devs put DX12 on hold. As they are running on UE4 they may just be waiting on a solid UE4 D3D12 renderer:

HpKb.png

abracadaver

wtfisthisshit.jpg

AMD DX12 drivers worse than nvidias?

Why has ashses bigger gains in DX12 on AMD cards than on nvidias? Just like hitman btw.

What is even supposed to be the problem with hitman? The crashes PCGH were reporting yesterday? Thats because they didn't have the new drivers yet.

Why ARK doesn't have DX12 yet? Because of nvidia! Here is what a dev said on their forums:

If it helped enough people, and was stable, right now, and made Nvidia cards run in parity with AMD cards, we would do it yesterday.

Top Bottom