• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: UE PC performance thread

scitek

But it's enough for what they deem a good (recommended) experience? I dunno what the problem is. Recommended != High or Highest settings.

There isn't a standard to argue against or anything, so whatever, I'll shut up. A 970 is good enough for medium texture settings now in a game with muddy textures at its highest settings. I guess I should be happy.

RTSS you mean. Their UWP crap prevents this from happening I'm afraid. And I'm not so sure that this stutter would be even fixed with RTSS limiter.

Correct. My mistake.

dr_rus

So no, it doesn't look like a game that needs at least 4GB VRAM (1080p). 4K, sure. Most games would need more than 2GB in that resolution.

The difference between a 1080p framebuffer and a 4K framebuffer is about 150MBs. If a game is running fine in 1080p on 2GB chances are that it will fit into 2GBs in 4K as well.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just realized that I actually wasn't running the highest settings all this time, I just put it on "high" overall and thought I was good :(
I'm still wondering about the textures that took a while to load in though...
Downloading msi afterburner as I type this. I'll see how running textures at highest, high, and medium affects vram usage on my 3GB gtx 780 ti and report back with my findings.

SliChillax

Downloading msi afterburner as I type this. I'll see how running textures at highest, high, and medium affects vram usage on my 3GB gtx 780 ti and report back with my findings.

I thought afterburner didn't work on games from the W10 store?

Afro

Barely better looking than the original PC version, they said. Barely better looking -> Barely better -> Barely.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ok guys, I have my results:

highest = 2976mb (vram maxed out)
high = 2925mb (vram maxed out)
medium = 2732mb

I think the textures failing to load in or taking a long time to load in was due to lack of vram. Strangely when vram is maxed out then the game doesn't stutter for me... I just see missing / slow loading textures sometimes as I'm going forward to new areas. With the textures on medium then they all appeared to load normally, but when I had them on high or highest then a van would have the "UE3 texture still loading" texture, and if I stood next to it and zoom in so that that's all that was on the screen then it would slowly load the correct texture. Then if I zoomed back out, spun around, and fire some bullets and then looked back, the "missing" texture would be back on the van.

edit:
Sometimes even on medium some textures take a while to load... maybe it's just UE3 being UE3

Carlius

Banned
Pretty much everyone on PC is above average haha. Community is so different from consoles.

ya haha they take it very seirously...its insane.

edit: ya i think i am playing against either a team or people that have a lot of experience..point blank headshots, fast as shit, lol its amazing.

nOoblet16

edit: ya i think i am playing against either a team or people that have a lot of experience..point blank headshots, fast as shit, lol its amazing.

It's because of centre screen aiming in this game, it makes blind fire really really easy with a mouse.

Though I will stand by what I've said for the past decade i.e. the fast movement of Gears, which is majority of the game rather than actually aiming, is something that seems like it is more suited to an analogue stick than a keyboard. And this holds true even more for the later games that are even more movement based than Gears 1, although they never made it to PC.

are you playing with a controller? because they wont be. if you are its no surprise youre getting crushed

Ice9

We seent you all with your fancy 980ti's running this game...now tell me how it will fair with a 770 and an i5? Thanks!

competitive mode kicking my ass...these guys are good

Learn popshotting with the gnasher and you'll find yourself surviving more battles and downing more players.

Basically, when you shoot, quickly aim and fire. That's all there is to it. Otherwise, remain unaimed so you can maintain mobility in gunfights.

nOoblet16

are you playing with a controller? because they wont be. if you are its no surprise youre getting crushed

Perhaps but you can actually do very well with a controller in Gears, depending on what your playstyle is...you could potentially even find yourself to be at an advantage over KB/m players.

SliChillax

Ok guys, I have my results:

highest = 2976mb (vram maxed out)
high = 2925mb (vram maxed out)
medium = 2732mb

I think the textures failing to load in or taking a long time to load in was due to lack of vram. Strangely when vram is maxed out then the game doesn't stutter for me... I just see missing / slow loading textures sometimes as I'm going forward to new areas. With the textures on medium then they all appeared to load normally, but when I had them on high or highest then a van would have the "UE3 texture still loading" texture, and if I stood next to it and zoom in so that that's all that was on the screen then it would slowly load the correct texture. Then if I zoomed back out, spun around, and fire some bullets and then looked back, the "missing" texture would be back on the van.

edit:
Sometimes even on medium some textures take a while to load... maybe it's just UE3 being UE3

So what might be causing the game to stutter 90% of the time with a 6gb 980ti? Texture streaming? Game is installed on an ssd. I really don't get it.

Perhaps but you can actually do very well with a controller in Gears, depending on what your playstyle is...you could potentially even find yourself to be at an advantage over KB/m players.

Roadie Run gnasher spam seems like a sound GOW 1 controller strat.

tuna_love

Banned
Yes, game is unplayable with it.
I feel like one of the few people this fuck up actually works for. I can't play multi tho. have you got anything on your global settings that might be doing something? try putting power management mode on maximum performance if you havent already.
What does frame rate lock do? It isn't quite clear.
just makes everything go to shit as far as I can figure :/

knerl

Then your expectations from DX12 were unrealistic. DX11.3 allow a dev to access the same features that DX12 has, the difference is that with DX12 you can achieve a better performance for a couple of reasons.

And again, I fail to see any "high requirements" in a game which is showing 80 fps on a 980Ti in 2560x1440 maxed out. This isn't high, this is pretty low to be honest. A game with high requirements won't be playable on one 980Ti maxed out in this resolution.

BF4 on Ultra at 1440p on a 980Ti runs at 80+fps. That game has a much bigger amount of action going on while at the same time also having a superior level scale with more effects.
My 970 runs BF4 on Ultra (w/o deferred AA) at 80+fps at 1080p. So when a game like GoW UE with less overhead thanks to DX12 comes along that does less in terms of scale, things happening on screen etc. you would expect it to run at least as good. Instead while having every reason to perform better it runs much worse.

Compared to other demanding games that runs and looks better in all departments that are also using a slower API there really isn't anything that justifies the performance in GoW UE.

AlStrong

Gears Ultimate uses a massively overhauled and more modern version of Unreal Engine 3. Gears was basically the FIRST iteration of UE3 while Ultimate is using techniques in the last release of the engine.

Lightmass probably adds a fair bit of memory overhead for the lighting too.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
My benchmark.

25137726159_ac94574eb2_h.jpg

Tain

Does this game on max settings use higher resolution textures than the Xbox One version, out of curiosity?

BF4 on Ultra at 1440p on a 980Ti runs at 80+fps. That game has a much bigger amount of action going on while at the same time also having a superior level scale with more effects.
My 970 runs BF4 on Ultra (w/o deferred AA) at 80+fps at 1080p. So when a game like GoW UE with less overhead thanks to DX12 comes along that does less in terms of scale, things happening on screen etc. you would expect it to run at least as good. Instead while having every reason to perform better it runs much worse.

Compared to other demanding games that runs and looks better in all departments that are also using a slower API there really isn't anything that justifies the performance in GoW UE.

BF4 makes smart use of detail textures to hide lower-resolution assets. This game, otoh, looks like it's kinda balls-out high res textures all over the place? I think people would typically consider this an art direction thing, but it's a pretty good example of how inseparable art and tech are in spite of how we like to talk about them.

Only going by screens of Gears UE though, so my guess could be way off.

The Goat

So the problems seem to be with campaign? MP runs smoothly? That's all I really care about anyway. Have the game on X1, but I'm tempted to snag it for MP on PC. I'd imagine all the people that I was playing on Tunngle, are now playing this.

I haven't been able to try the single player yet, but MP runs at a near-constant 100fps on my 980ti and 4770k.

I tried SP before, but the stutter was pissing me off.

I've since turned off g-sync in my nvidia control panel though, which fixed any issues I had with this game.

Haven't tried SP again since though, but MP runs a dream.

I'm in disbelief at how much fun I'm having with this game!

holygeesus

Banned
The game is only unlocked to the extent of your monitor's refresh rate.
Vsync is always on.

I see. So I'm hosed then if gaming on a TV? The stutter seems very random in this - sometimes it is when new areas are loading, sometimes when achievements pop and even sometimes when loading in new sound effects. Very odd.

Kezen

Banned
I see. So I'm hosed then if gaming on a TV? The stutter seems very random in this - sometimes it is when new areas are loading, sometimes when achievements pop and even sometimes when loading in new sound effects. Very odd.

Yes the stutter can be pretty random. I toned down textures down to high from ultra and it no longer stutters when loading new assets. It seems like 4gb is not enough for the maximum texture setting in this game.
The performance/visuals ratio of this game is nothing to write home about. Some would even go as far as to say it's poor and I'm not certain I could come up with a quality counter argument. It does not offer anything impressive anno 2016 yet can drop below 60fps (yes, I know 60fps never comes for free) on top end cards.

I'm sorry Microsoft and The Coalition but this is not the kind of showing which will instill confidence in DX12 even though the API itself is not to blame.

At least there is Ashes of Singularity which is monstruously impressive graphics wise. Now that is a high-end PC game.

Not everyone is a native english speaker.

Non-native English speakers typically don't use contractions, in my experience. They're extremely confusing to people educated in other languages. Hence, an error like "shouldn't of" is typically something only a native English speaker (who wasn't properly educated on contractions) would make.

Irrelevant, but I'm just saying.

There has to be some kind of XBO emulation process happening in the back ground that we don't know about.
It is the only explanation I can think of that would demand some much"Ummmph" from higher end graphics cards!
As others have said it is a nice looking game but certainly doesn't seem that demanding from what I've seen. Even VR games require less demanding specs than this!

knerl

Does this game on max settings use higher resolution textures than the Xbox One version, out of curiosity?

BF4 makes smart use of detail textures to hide lower-resolution assets. This game, otoh, looks like it's kinda balls-out high res textures all over the place? I think people would typically consider this an art direction thing, but it's a pretty good example of how inseparable art and tech are in spite of how we like to talk about them.

Only going by screens of Gears UE though, so my guess could be way off.

Like most games do you mean?

Top Bottom