• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: UE PC performance thread

Afro

My game suddenly isn't recognizing my gamepad. Simple fix for this? I tried unplugging/replugging.

edit: PC restart fixed it.

Akronis

There has to be some kind of XBO emulation process happening in the back ground that we don't know about.
It is the only explanation I can think of that would demand some much"Ummmph" from higher end graphics cards!
As others have said it is a nice looking game but certainly doesn't seem that demanding from what I've seen. Even VR games require less demanding specs than this!

It's an early DX12 title, it's just poorly programmed and was probably thrown out the door half-baked.

gossi

I get 1080p at 60fps on High preset with textures changed to Very High (ie the best options available). GTX 970 graphics card.

I note this as I have an AMD 6300 CPU (it's shit, it benchmarks like an i3). It's really surprising. By the way, I got a big performance boost by moving it to an SSD drive.

Edit: came back to update this - while what I posted was valid for multiplayer and the benchmarking tool, it dives off a cliff to ~30fps in single player.

How do I create a shortcut to this game?

Nm figured it out

Sound is really great in this game. It takes great advantage of my 7.1 surround sound

Crisium

So this article just came out, may be of interest to a person:

Nvidia GameWorks HBAO+ Behind Visual Corruption In Gears Of War Ultimate Edition

As it turns Nvidia’s HBAO+ ambient occlusion feature was the culprit behind the horrible artifacting / visual corruption issue that plagued some of AMD’s Radeon graphics cards. What’s more eyebrow-raising is the fact that there isn’t even any mention of HBAO+ inside Gears of War Ultimate Edition’s graphics settings menu. There’s only an option to turn “Ambient Occlusion” on or off, with no mention of what type of ambient occlusion it is.
---
In the case of Gears of War Ultimate Edition it was Nvidia’s proprietary HBAO+ GameWorks feature listed under a generic name. In fact we only learned that the ambient occlusion implementation in Gears of War : Ultimate Edition was in fact HBAO+ when Nvidia’s Andrew Burnes announced the availability of Game Ready drivers on the GeForce.com blog and named it as one of the game’s features.
---
I can only speculate about why the decision was even made by Microsoft to give HBAO+ a generic label. It’s quite unusual and very much the opposite of what you’d want to do as a developer to ensure transparency.
---
Simply turning off ambient occlusion in the settings will completely resolve the artifacting that we witnessed while testing the AMD Radeon R9 Nano and R9 380 graphics cards.

PhysX?

The entry means that hardware accelerated PhysX is enabled by default in the game and because any changes to the file are overwritten automatically upon game start-up means it can’t be disabled. For those of you unaware PhysX is Nvidia’s proprietary game physics engine and can only be accelerated by Nvidia’s own graphics cards. If a competing GPU is detected by the PhysX driver, the work will instead be automatically offloaded onto the CPU. This in turn means that the feature will run disproportionately slower on non Nvidia equipped systems.
---
Sadly because we are unable to turn off hardware acceleration in Gears of War Ultimate Edition we don’t know what it’s actually doing. And whether it could account for some of the performance disparity we’re seeing between Nvidia and AMD graphics cards. Right now we simply don’t know what affect it has because we can’t test it.

Suffice to say there seem to be some “shenanigans” going on here so we’ll keep a close watch and update everyone accordingly. In the meantime we’d advise PC gamers to wait until the mist clears on the issues surrounding this troubled PC release before pulling the trigger.

2006 Source code which was originally DX9 in DX12 with Nvidia Gameworks DX11 technology and proprietary vendor locked PhysX? Who knows. It may be nothing relevant to performance. Perhaps more will become clear later and it turns out to be a really great DX12 ambassador after all.

Edit: BaseEngine.ini having a PhysX line is normal for UE games. Dev improper GCN 1.1-1.2 testing may be the larger role on performance here.

Qassim

Can we expect Gsync to be fixed at all?

Also, rough form for AMD cards. That's not fair.

I would expect a G-Sync fix, given it works perfectly in game and the issues are only on cutscenes and loading screens, I'd assume at the very least there could be some work around either on NVIDIA's or Coalition's side to disable it during those scenes, that is if they can't fix the underlying issue.

scitek

2006 Source code which was originally DX9 in DX12 with Nvidia Gameworks DX11 technology and proprietary vendor locked PhysX? Who knows. It may be nothing relevant to performance. Perhaps more will become clear later and it turns out to be a really great DX12 ambassador after all.

The BaseEngine etc. ini files are present in every Unreal Engine 3 game, and are never the files that actually determine what options are enabled while playing. The ones that do with this game are in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.DeltaPC_1.6.0.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Wargame\Config and all start with "War"

EDIT: And upon inspecting the WarEngine.ini

nothingf7s5a.jpg

Kezen

Banned
The game has no support for GPU accelerrated Physx as far as I know. I doubt Gameworks has anything to do with AMD's poor showing in this game. Apparently it's something on the driver side they need to investigate.

Crisium

Yeah, I just noticed that myself. PhysX probably isn't present here. Devs are undoubtedly the biggest culprits for performance here, though Nvidia DX11 HBAO+ in a DX12 game makes me wonder how representative of DX12 technology this game really is.

scitek

Yeah, I just noticed that myself. PhysX probably isn't present here. Devs are undoubtedly the biggest culprits for performance here, though Nvidia DX11 HBAO+ in a DX12 game makes me wonder how representative of DX12 technology this game really is.

It is strange it isn't labeled in-game as HBAO+ and only shows a generic Ambient Occlusion on or off.

The game has no support for GPU accelerrated Physx as far as I know. I doubt Gameworks has anything to do with AMD's poor showing in this game. Apparently it's something on the driver side they need to investigate.

I was under the impression drivers didn't effect much with DX12.

Unstable

What's the general consensus? I have sli 780s & a 4770k but I guess sli doesn't work? I play PC games mostly in my living room on my HTPC. TV, comfy couch, etc. So locked 60 is a must for me. Is Locked 60 achievable with decent settings? Or should I wait it out?

I'd appreciate anyone with a similar setup chiming in.

Crisium

What's the general consensus? I have sli 780s & a 4770k but I guess sli doesn't work? I play PC games mostly in my living room on my HTPC. TV, comfy couch, etc. So locked 60 is a must for me. Is Locked 60 achievable with decent settings? Or should I wait it out?

I'd appreciate anyone with a similar setup chiming in.

SLI 780s here:
http://gamegpu.com/images/stories/T...Edition/test/Gears_of_War__Ultimate__1920.jpg

http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-test-gpu.html

At least as of that test, there was no scaling.

Kezen

Banned
I was under the impression drivers didn't effect much with DX12.

The influence of the driver is reduced because it has now more information upfront but quality drivers are still a must with DX12.

It is strange it isn't labeled in-game as HBAO+ and only shows a generic Ambient Occlusion on or off.
AO does not look particularly good in this game, I did not recognize HBAO+'s quality signature.

chozen

I can't even download the game. It usually hits around 70% and says error try again. It's been three days now called ms support twice. One dude couldn't help me and just quit.

I called again and they gave me an hour run around and hung up the phone with out resolving anything.

My W10 is fully updated, the store is fully updated, I have the latest W10 build 64bit and I pass all the minimal requirements.

Can anyone just lay me down all the possibilities on how to fix this. Super frustrating I spend money on crap I can't even download.

gossi

I can't even download the game. It usually hits around 70% and says error try again. It's been three days now called ms support twice. One dude couldn't help me and just quit.

I called again and they gave me an hour run around and hung up the phone with out resolving anything.

My W10 is fully updated, the store is fully updated, I have the latest W10 build 64bit and I pass all the minimal requirements.

Can anyone just lay me down all the possibilities on how to fix this. Super frustrating I spend money on crap I can't even download.

The store peeps can probably refund you. I had a similar problem, I had to cancel the download and start again.

Qassim

Just done some testing with PhysX.

I switched PhysX to the CPU in the NVC and enabled the PhysX visual indicator. I saw no difference in performance (nor the PhysX visual indicator showing) when set to the CPU or the GPU, leading me to believe there is no hardware accelerated PhysX enabled in this game.

Remember, PhysX has existed in many games before (and not just PCs, but on consoles, non NVIDIA included) outside of its hardware accelerated implementations and has had support in many engines like UE for a long time. I'd be surprised if it was the cause for the significant disparity in performance and if it is, it would likely just be a bug - non hardware accelerated PhysX has operated on many games on AMD hardware just fine in the past.

holygeesus

Banned

Have you got at least 100GB of space free on the drive you are downloading to? Seriously, the whole install process is a mess, as you have to go in and delete temporary files yourself afterwards. Maybe try doing a disk cleanup and see if you have a shit-ton of temp files from your previous download attempts?

Have you got at least 100GB of space free on the drive you are downloading to? Seriously, the whole install process is a mess, as you have to go in and delete temporary files yourself afterwards. Maybe try doing a disk cleanup and see if you have a shit-ton of temp files from your previous download attempts?

Strange, I didn't have to do a disk cleanup. I installed the game on an SSD which had, before installation, about 85gb of space left on it. After installation I now have 33,6gb space left.

holygeesus

Banned
Strange, I didn't have to do a disk cleanup. I installed the game on an SSD which had, before installation, about 85gb of space left on it. After installation I now have 33,6gb space left.

Yep it is odd. I installed it twice too and the same result each time. ~42GB of temporary files or 'optimal delivery' files or something.

The influence of the driver is reduced because it has now more information upfront but quality drivers are still a must with DX12.

Thanks. I'd say it's more likely that Microsoft's devs spent more time getting their game running best on the largest install base.

Kezen

Banned
Thanks. I'd say it's more likely that Microsoft's devs spent more time getting their game running best on the largest install base.

Maybe, but bearing in mind the game must have been well optimized for the GCN architecture it's surprising to see some new GCN cards struggling.

This game is really unimpressive in the tech department, really nothing manages to justify its hardware requirements.
Crysis 3 for example is several notches above, comparable in terms of scope and runs better.

I hope The Coalition will do better for the PC version of Gears 4. Unreal Engine 4 should help there.

chozen

I have done disk cleanups, I have a 1TB HDD w/ around 515GB Free space,

I also have all folders unhidden and went into the windowsapps folder and found the windows.delta (Gears of war UE Folder) and deleted it all to reset the download.

No luck, how is it in 2016 MS can't even get downloads down right?

I know I'm not the only one with the issue

_machine

Just done some testing with PhysX.

I switched PhysX to the CPU in the NVC and enabled the PhysX visual indicator. I saw no difference in performance (nor the PhysX visual indicator showing) when set to the CPU or the GPU, leading me to believe there is no hardware accelerated PhysX enabled in this game.

Remember, PhysX has existed in many games before (and not just PCs, but on consoles, non NVIDIA included) outside of its hardware accelerated implementations and has had support in many engines like UE for a long time. I'd be surprised if it was the cause for the significant disparity in performance and if it is, it would likely just be a bug - non hardware accelerated PhysX has operated on many games on AMD hardware just fine in the past.
Thank you.

As an ex-UE developer, PhysX has nothing to do with these issues. UE4 uses PhysX 3.3 for it's collision physics/rigid body solver just like UE3, Unity, Gamebryo, Madness Engine, Hero Engine (and many more) and other engines. It's run solely on the CPU and has no effect on rendering. It's an alternative to Havok and Bullet, as well as being stupidly marketed as particle physics SDK (which they are thankfully moving under the GameWorks Umbrella).

Read up on the matter
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Physics/index.html
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/ParticleSystems/index.html (UE4 currently only supports particle effects through Cascade, their own system and don't even really have proper support for the GPU-driven PhysX effects).

TL:DR; PhysX is not the issue and is not run on the GPU with Unreal 4.

beeswax

Apparently MultiGPU support is coming, as well as some other fixes.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-c...gpu-support-in-gears-of-war-ultimate-edition/

From that link:

The Coalition’s PezRadar said:
We do not have any news to share at this time for the PC version. I know some are worried but please don’t fret. We are wanting to make sure polish and performance are prioritized on the PC version so that you all have a great experience.”

Why have they included that? It's a quote from November last year. Also, it's my opinion that The Coalition didn't exactly follow through on that promised polish.

beeswax

Is this worth getting yet? Or should I wait for another patch or two? I got a 5820k and 980 ti.

I'd say no, I'm on a 5820k and 980 and performace, considering the quality of graphics on offer, is lackluster. I'm just now trying to figure out how I request a refund on the Win10 Store - anyone know?

edit: this page tells me to go to my Order History however GoW is nowhere to be seen, even in the 'Digital Content' tab. Nice.

Akoi

I'd say no, I'm on a 5820k and 980 and performace, considering the quality of graphics on offer, is lackluster. I'm just now trying to figure out how I request a refund on the Win10 Store - anyone know?

Thanks for the heads up! I hope it's worth it down the road, and not just something Microsoft abandons.

edit: this page tells me to go to my Order History however GoW is nowhere to be seen, even in the 'Digital Content' tab. Nice.

Assuming you don't have anything else on your Microsoft Account, and God help you if you used your Xbox Account, you could just do a chargeback and tell MS you never want to see them again when they ban the account.

Top Bottom