• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

jesu

it's possible to pay a digital code at amazon.com, change console region to HK, redeem code and play it now

About that, do you buy MS money in US dollars but when you redeem the code on the HK store it converts to HK money?
So I should be able to do that with UK cards too?

faer0n

About that, do you buy MS money in US dollars but when you redeem the code on the HK store it converts to HK money?
So I should be able to do that with UK cards too?

no, the cash cards are only for the region you bought them for (us$ stays us$) but you can buy the digital code for gears directly from amazon.com. and this code can be redeemed in any region you set your console to

First time owning a Gears of War game and first time putting significant time into one, I'm pretty excited!

As you should be! The game has a small learning curve, but once you know what you're doing you'll realize that there are very few games out that match the feeling of Gears.

So here's a dumb question from a network noob.

I am in the last room of the house, so I get terrible Internet. I have between a 16-20 ping, about a 30 download and a 6-7 upload. I know, it sucks.

I am nervous about getting Gears because I don't want the online to slug for me. Will the dedicated servers help?

tuna_love

Banned

I am in the last room of the house, so I get terrible Internet. I have between a 16-20 ping, about a 30 download and a 6-7 upload. I know, it sucks.

I am nervous about getting Gears because I don't want the online to slug for me. Will the dedicated servers help?
That doesn't look like bad internet to me

EBE

you bragging?

jesu

no, the cash cards are only for the region you bought them for (us$ stays us$) but you can buy the digital code for gears directly from amazon.com. and this code can be redeemed in any region you set your console to

Ah right thanks, I hadn't heard of that before.

why didnt they include Horde mode? Basically the best component of the series..
Wasn't in the series until Gears 2, and got changed around quite a bit in Gears 3.

I miss Gears 2 Horde. Gears 3 Horde, not so much, what with all the XP systems and upgrade grinds - you'd end up with players getting upset because somebody else deployed a turret or something instead of them, robbing them of precious XP towards their unlocks. Gears 2 was pure, raw, combat, and it was hilariously deadly.

Wasn't in the series until Gears 2, and got changed around quite a bit in Gears 3.

I miss Gears 2 Horde. Gears 3 Horde, not so much, what with all the XP systems and upgrade grinds - you'd end up with players getting upset because somebody else deployed a turret or something instead of them, robbing them of precious XP towards their unlocks. Gears 2 was pure, raw, combat, and it was hilariously deadly.

I agree. Horde was 3's only serious misfire.

so since the original games come with the preorder, I imagine they'll still have horde mode?

Everything should work as they do on the X360 version.

Thinking about it now, with Gears 3 getting backward compatibility, I guess it will be the first X1 stereo 3D game on the platform since it has that mode on X360.

nynt9

The original had that colour tone only because of the limitation of first gen UE3 when it came to lighting, apart from that I doubt they really want to make it like that because the flaws in lighting showed and were it not for engine limitation they would not have existed (for example look at courtyard, open area but barely any lighting).

This colour tone is more in line with Gears 2 and Gears 3 which had an upgraded engine and hence were not restricted by it as much as the first game. Also Gridlock looks more or less same in terms of colour tone because that was one map where it didn't feel out of place.

I mean, old school pixel art was that way due to the limitations of the systems of the time, but it arguably looks great regardless of being a product of limitation, so I can't agree with that point alone.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

lol wtf?

Jesus Christ dude! If you're being serious you sound like a spoiled little bitch. I'm sitting at 3 down and .7 up and still mop the floor with kids online. And you'll never hear me bitch about lag.

Speaking of slow internet I've been at 28% for the past 15 min and it's driving me up the friggen wall.
Hey, I guess I did sort of bitch about lag.

Edit: my bad didn't see where you said you were a network noob. I just get a little irked when I hear people complain about lag when I'm currently stuck with such slow internet.

nOoblet16

I mean, old school pixel art was that way due to the limitations of the systems of the time, but it arguably looks great regardless of being a product of limitation, so I can't agree with that point alone.

I had a feeling you were going to say that but this isn't the same as that. The prime reason being the inaccuracy of the lighting engine (light bulbs as bright as sun, limited colour range, locations not lit despite being out in open, characters being lit from one side while the light comes from another) there is no explanation for it to exist. They didn't "build around" this limitation because these shortcomings were apparent and did not help the art style in any way and as such I do not believe it can be the original vision, it was just limited because that was just it. The main characters were never lit properly in the original as they didn't have any system in place for that which got fixed in the sequel, I do not believe they built around this limitation by incorporating this unnaturally lit/unlit character into their art for instance (they wouldn't have shown this as one of the "improved" feature while showing Gears 2 graphical upgrades over Gears 1 using Gears 1 locations).

By the way if you use that argument then every game out there looks the way it does because the developers decided to build around the limitation and came up with what they did...every game...even the butt ugly ones. So you can see how that argument could possibly fall flat as it isn't the same as pixel art.

Sorry, didn't mean to start anything. My Internet is unreliable so I figured those numbers were bad. I said I was a noob, too. My fault, though. Didn't mean to sound ungrateful or anything.

Nah. Horde mode in 3 was fantastic. Frantically running from section to section as a piece was going down was very tense. Also great maps too.

t hicks

Banned
Everything's pre-loaded and ready to go!
I'm so stoked, Gears 1 was my favorite MP game ever... I'm gonna play the shit out of this!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Campaign having some frame problems during intense firefights such as the one in Act 2 when you regoup with Cole and Baird after getting the Junker.

Jesus Christ dude! If you're being serious you sound like a spoiled little bitch. I'm sitting at 3 down and .7 up and still mop the floor with kids online. And you'll never hear me bitch about lag.

Speaking of slow internet I've been at 28% for the past 15 min and it's driving me up the friggen wall.
Hey, I guess I did sort of bitch about lag.

Edit: my bad didn't see where you said you were a network noob. I just get a little irked when I hear people complain about lag when I'm currently stuck with such slow internet.

That's because you're the guy no-one can hit teleporting across the map with your red ping. FML

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Wow, talk about messed up priorities.

Huh? I've got the day off basically FOR Gears. So instead of having breakfast at home, I suggested we have it out. Then off to the shopping centre to grab the game and the little one can look in some toy stores.

Top Bottom