• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

didnt Microsoft say PC version would be out before the end of the year? They got 3 weeks left...

All of their DX12 games - Gears UE, Fable Legends and Gigantic, have gone quiet on their holiday 2015 releases (although Gigantic was officially delayed last week to 2016) so they probably just needed some extra time to get them polished right.

It'll come out soon enough I'm sure

Eos

any word on fixing the input lag in gears3 BC? I really would like to retire the 360 from my TV stand.

they released an update like a week and a half ago and it helped a little bit but there's still a tiny bit of input delay and you can easily be at an disadvantage when playing people who are on the 360. No idea if/when another update is coming.

Yeah they come in a separate message.
Thanks! Sure enough, I got the other two codes later in the evening.

I've seen talk about the Gears games having some latency in BC on the Xbox One. Does that transfer over to Solo or online Co-op? I'm having such a blast playing through Gears of War 1: UE that I wouldn't mind playing through all of the other games with my Gears buddy online.

The Brumak fight, they could've just kept that on PC lol. It's so bad that it almost ruined the campaign for me.
Why did you think it was bad? I thought it was a pretty unique injection.

Having said that, that fight was very frustrating on Solo Insane. Even more so than Raam.

And on that note, I finally beat the game on Solo Insane. It was just as grueling, and rewarding, as I remember.

Why did you think it was bad? I thought it was a pretty unique injection.

Having said that, that fight was very frustrating on Solo Insane. Even more so than Raam.

And on that note, I finally beat the game on Solo Insane. It was just as grueling, and rewarding, as I remember.

I found the Brumak fight pretty easy (surprisingly). During the warehouse sequence, just before you fight it, there's a boomshot which acts as a one hit kill on the rider.

Pop-shot'ed it from across the map and couldn't believe it when the cutscene played.

Raam was more frustrating for me.

Would love to carry on with 2 and 3 but the input lag irritates me.

So I cannot play this game. When I hit the hamburger button on the title screen it says "contacting Gears of War services" forever and I cannot get into the game. I tried deleting it and reinstalling it.

Anyone else? I literally cannot play this game at all.

Finally got my codes for gears 1 and 2 five minutes ago in my messages, looking forward to having to other two to show up.

Thanks for playing Gears of War: Ultimate Edition. Here are your tokens for Gears of War and Gears of War 2 (ESRB Rating: M with blood and gore, intense violence, strong language

2SeeKU

No messages yet for the codes. Is the promo available for all regions? I've been logged into Live whilst playing through the single player campaign, is there something else l'm meant to do?

Y0j1mb0

No messages yet for the codes. Is the promo available for all regions? I've been logged into Live whilst playing through the single player campaign, is there something else l'm meant to do?

Sit tight, you'll get them eventually. The timetable is pretty sporadic. I got mine after playing the Ultimate Edition on Black Friday, where others are still waiting. Doesn't seem like a first come, first serve rotation. Just all over the place.

deadman69

There is still no mention on when Gears Ultimate edition PC version will come out right?

i feel like they really should have not announced it at e3 and waited til next year so it would have been a bigger surprise. instead they are just annoying fans by not communicating at all about it.

RaZoR No1

Sit tight, you'll get them eventually. The timetable is pretty sporadic. I got mine after playing the Ultimate Edition on Black Friday, where others are still waiting. Doesn't seem like a first come, first serve rotation. Just all over the place.
I am still waiting for my codes too.
I hope I played it enough to get the codes, because I just played it for 5 min. .

Just got the xbox one bundle with UE in it yesterday, and I'm already disappointed. I don't know why I assumed it was like the Halo Master Chief Collection, where you could pick which of the old games you want to play, but I did and I wish I researched it more. It feels like I'm playing a stripped down version of 2 and 3 at a higher framerate and resolution. Maybe it's because I haven't played Gears since 3 and my tastes have changed, but movement feels shittier than I remember. Hit detection sucked for me, couple of times I flanked behind someone and used my shotgun on a stationary target and didn't get the instagib, which felt like a throwback to GoW2 lol, but I remember GoW3 feeling amazing in that regard, so I'm even more disappointed. I see only a few weapon pickups on each map, and I'm assuming things like the gorgon pistol are missing from the game? Lame...

This is just a reminder to me to never buy a game digitally unless it's dirt cheap, I can't even trade this in now. I'm gonna go pick up gears 3 and see it's just UE, or if I really have move past the series now.

Montresor

Just got the xbox one bundle with UE in it yesterday, and I'm already disappointed. I don't know why I assumed it was like the Halo Master Chief Collection, where you could pick which of the old games you want to play, but I did and I wish I researched it more. It feels like I'm playing a stripped down version of 2 and 3 at a higher framerate and resolution. Maybe it's because I haven't played Gears since 3 and my tastes have changed, but movement feels shittier than I remember. Hit detection sucked for me, couple of times I flanked behind someone and used my shotgun on a stationary target and didn't get the instagib, which felt like a throwback to GoW2 lol, but I remember GoW3 feeling amazing in that regard, so I'm even more disappointed. I see only a few weapon pickups on each map, and I'm assuming things like the gorgon pistol are missing from the game? Lame...

This is just a reminder to me to never buy a game digitally unless it's dirt cheap, I can't even trade this in now. I'm gonna go pick up gears 3 and see it's just UE, or if I really have move past the series now.

Just a heads up. Playing Gears UE while connected online will net you digital versions of all 360 Gears games. It's possible you don't have to buy Gears 3 soon. Some people are reporting it takes long to get their codes but they should come eventually.

Just a heads up. Playing Gears UE while connected online will net you digital versions of all 360 Gears games. It's possible you don't have to buy Gears 3 soon. Some people are reporting it takes long to get their codes but they should come eventually.

Ohhhhhhhh, thanks for the heads up, saved me some money lol!

m23

It feels different from Gears 3 because it's a Gears 1 remaster. Gears 1 was very different from 3 when it comes down to gameplay mechanics ie. The shotgun behaviour.

Draconian

Nothing like shotty snipers to show how stupid some of the design of this game is. Why bother getting near anybody to use a shotgun? You'll just get meleed twice by someone holding sniper and there's nothing you can do about it.

Nothing like shotty snipers to show how stupid some of the design of this game is. Why bother getting near anybody to use a shotgun? You'll just get meleed twice by someone holding sniper and there's nothing you can do about it.

Melee is essentially broken in this game, probably always will be.

I just hope they use the Gears 3 melee for Gears 4 otherwise online multiplayer is going to be rough.

Oh man the salt on this game is delicious. Noobs get wrecked and blame everything but themselves. I suck, the game sucks, I'm cheating ,lag etc etc

Gears is hard. Get over it and git gud

Oh man the salt on this game is delicious. Noobs get wrecked and blame everything but themselves. I suck, the game sucks, I'm cheating ,lag etc etc

Gears is hard. Get over it and git gud

Or just play Ranked and let noobs enjoy this the game too. Im grinding to a high level at the moment because of achievements. But its really annoying when a lot of matches are a mlg 420 tournament.
And yes im not a good gears player. And i dont really care. But at least let me enjoy the game too a bit. :)

Its cool when people have skill in that game, but play ranked and prove it there. Thats why we have this unranked and ranked stuff IMO

So I cannot play this game. When I hit the hamburger button on the title screen it says "contacting Gears of War services" forever and I cannot get into the game. I tried deleting it and reinstalling it.

Anyone else? I literally cannot play this game at all.
The servers are very slow .I had his problem too but just leave that screen on and you'll get in eventually

Or just play Ranked and let noobs enjoy this the game too. Im grinding to a high level at the moment because of achievements. But its really annoying when a lot of matches are a mlg 420 tournament.
And yes im not a good gears player. And i dont really care. But at least let me enjoy the game too a bit. :)

Its cool when people have skill in that game, but play ranked and prove it there. Thats why we have this unranked and ranked stuff IMO
Agree entirely. I play ranked , unfortunately doesn't stop us getting matched with new people. Low player count leads to a lot of new players getting destroyed. This game has a steep learning curve

However king of the hill is unranked now so I'm always in there. Blitz isn't the same

This relates more to the codes I got with the game (gears 3 specifically) but as soon as I launched the game (didn't even start a MP match), it made me level 15. I've never played the game on that account before. After only 5 matches I'm now level 35 or something. That doesn't feel right at all. I was also given achievements for shit I didn't even do.

Did they up the XP bonus for the old games or something? I don't want XBL to think I'm hacking since I unlocked the lvl 15 ach before the level 5 one.

This relates more to the codes I got with the game (gears 3 specifically) but as soon as I launched the game (didn't even start a MP match), it made me level 15. I've never played the game on that account before. After only 5 matches I'm now level 35 or something. That doesn't feel right at all. I was also given achievements for shit I didn't even do.

Did they up the XP bonus for the old games or something? I don't want XBL to think I'm hacking since I unlocked the lvl 15 ach before the level 5 one.

I doubt you'll get into any trouble. Perhaps message The Coalition if you're worried?

I've played coming up to 76 hours and am still enjoying myself (even after putting hundreds of hours in many moons ago). The simplicity of the original's multiplayer is its biggest strength - each match is a test of your tactical nouse and skill.

However, I miss the improved cover and movement from the sequels. I love the roadie-run in Gears of War 2 and 3, there's a satisfying thud with each step and it really feels like someone scrambling to get to cover.

In the original it feels a little more tank-like and doesn't animate as nicely. Despite suffering from input lag on XBO, the quality of their movement systems still shine through.

I'm desperate for some Gears of War 4 news at this point. I want to know more!

Eanan

Ive had it. Deleted the game from my hard drive. Just every second person refuses to get into a shotgun battle or any sort of fun gameplay, instead they trug towards you and start swinging for the fences. One of the swings connects; your done. It'll either be a 2 piece or a double melee.

I pray they have this fixed for gears 4.

pizzacat

Banned
Ive had it. Deleted the game from my hard drive. Just every second person refuses to get into a shotgun battle or any sort of fun gameplay, instead they trug towards you and start swinging for the fences. One of the swings connects; your done. It'll either be a 2 piece or a double melee.

They had it fixed in gears 3 and I think an update for gears 2 had the same affect.

Basically iirc in gears 3 your stun from a melee and the melee animation are the same amount of time so it's useless to melee unless you know the other guy is hurt enough to get downed from it.

Also sometimes their shot comes out before your melee so there virtually no point to doing that

I doubt they'll return to what it is.

Also just wall bounce a lot, you still get hurt from the melee during a slide to get to cover animation but you don't get stunned and if you know they like to melee, back up and wait for it to get a stun off their melee

Warxard

Banned

Gears 2 and onwards nerfs 2-piecing/double melee downs.

Top Bottom