• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

DJ_Lae

Game looks great - I'm not too far into the singleplayer so far. I forgot how much I loved this game.

Framerate is...not so hot, though. It had some huge dips during the part where you're in the circular fountain. Massive dips.

Also a bug right near the beginning where the door was never cut open. I could have sworn that happened to me at least once in the 360 version too.

Game looks great - I'm not too far into the singleplayer so far. I forgot how much I loved this game.

Framerate is...not so hot, though. It had some huge dips during the part where you're in the circular fountain. Massive dips.

Also a bug right near the beginning where the door was never cut open. I could have sworn that happened to me at least once in the 360 version too.

Yeah there were quite a few crazy bugs that never happened consistently. Even the erratic Dom AI wasn't always as bad as some reviewers experienced. I remember once he followed me like a champ. The other run through he was never there. The game isn't perfect, but honestly I'm okay with that. Overall it's such a great experience.

DJ_Lae

Yeah there were quite a few crazy bugs that never happened consistently. Even the erratic Dom AI wasn't always as bad as some reviewers experienced. I remember once he followed me like a champ. The other run through he was never there. The game isn't perfect, but honestly I'm okay with that. Overall it's such a great experience.

Dom was only bad for me originally when I was fighting Raam on the hardest difficulty. Fucker kept leaping over cover into fire and dying.

Only played campaign so far, I was expecting it to look better to be honest.
There's a fair bit of shimmering going on on my screen, IQ isn't what I had hoped for.

I'll still have a lot of fun playing through it again, finding hard core difficulty pretty challenging!

emrober5

Played a good hour and a half of the campaign. The cutscenes look great! I think the game could have looker better, and there are some bugs and wonky ai, but I am enjoying it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, I just can't play multiplayer. No matter what I do there's always a guy with a shotgun just hip firing everywhere. I can't really compete against that. :\

NateDrake

Really? That's the one achievement I would want a tracker on! Especially due to how glitchy it was on the original game.

Stats will show your total amount of kills for multiplayer. So it'll be easy enough to track without the achievement having to do so. (Unless you do a lot of social games).

Man, I just can't play multiplayer. No matter what I do there's always a guy with a shotgun just hip firing everywhere. I can't really compete against that. :

That's how I am feeling. I'm usually very solid in TPS games, but something about GOW has always caused me to struggle.

My review is up at Eurogamer Benelux. It's in Dutch, so here's the short version.

- It's fucking Gears, dudes.

The only minor problem I had was with some cutscenes: The Coalition enjoys their fast cuts way too much. Completely changes the dynamic in the RAAM scene, for instance. Nowhere near as threatening.

I also feel Normal difficulty is a bit too easy and Hardcore a bit too frustrating. Having beaten the original game on Insane, I can't see myself going through it on that difficulty again for fun.

You pretty much have to learn to hip fire your shotgun if you want to go anywhere in this game. Aiming is too slow and leaves you a sitting duck. Use the cover system to keep your character agile and dodging shots by entering and leaving cover quickly.

Rocketz

Squad A.I. is terrible. Constantly being downed on hardcore difficulty. Dom is the worst. I had Kim get stuck when you first meet the seader and had to restart the section because I couldn't get through the 2nd door. He didn't get stuck the 2nd time but teleported to the door.

You pretty much have to learn to hip fire your shotgun if you want to go anywhere in this game. Aiming is too slow and leaves you a sitting duck. Use the cover system to keep your character agile and dodging shots by entering and leaving cover quickly.

Your aiming also goes to shit when you try to do it out of a roll, unless I'm doing something wrong (reticle is out of position).

c0de

Played a good hour and a half of the campaign. The cutscenes look great! I think the game could have looker better, and there are some bugs and wonky ai, but I am enjoying it.

I have to say this is what made Gears Gears to me.
I mean you could make a checklist of “what makes a game perfect“ and it would miss a lot of points on that list but no matter what, the game is still fun as fu**, perhaps also because of the way it is.

Yeah, it's literally a carbon copy (remaster) of the game without active sniper downs pretty much.

I'll ask one step above, though I think I know the answer. Is stuff like crab walking or sky diving/back flipping still in the game? Weapon sliding? I'm sure those are all gone. Do the shots come from the center of the screen again? Can I stand in front of a dude and aim the camera up and kill em with my back facing them still?

All that stuff was gears to me. Glitches in friendly private matches with the homies of course.

The Goat

Guys, tell me wall bouncing and shot gunning is the go to like original gears. Does it feel the same?

It feels different, at least to me. Not sure if it's lag or what, but shots look dead on, but never register. Was getting pretty frustrated. Characters don't feel as weighty as before. Maybe it's the 60fps messing with my eyes. I'll definitely be playing a lot more in the coming days, so we'll see how it shakes out.

Played about 2 hours of the campaign, really enjoyable in co-op. After that I played a round of multiplayer and lost horribly, I've never been good at Gears online. Other than that, it's fun.

leeh

I'll ask one step above, though I think I know the answer. Is stuff like crab walking or sky diving/back flipping still in the game? Weapon sliding? I'm sure those are all gone. Do the shots come from the center of the screen again? Can I stand in front of a dude and aim the camera up and kill em with my back facing them still?

All that stuff was gears to me. Glitches in friendly private matches with the homies of course.
All that has been fixed. On the beta, it came from the center of screen, but didn't they change that for final? Sorry, I'm waiting patiently for the game so I can't really answer that. I know they changed a lot based on the beta feedback.

leng jai

30fps with big dips? Doesn't sound too flash.

The game is very good. My favorite things so far have to be using the Longshot and abusing the power of the gnasher.

I had a group playing TDM and we didn't lose a single round, even against one of the teams that happened to be in the pro showcase. I was finishing every game with 10+ headshots using the longshot because the hit detection is so buttery.

About the gnasher though, that gun needs a little tweaking. The hard aim is ridiculously unfair and not too many people realize that. In this game, it's better to take your time and get a decent hard aim shot or two before trying to clean up the kill. I've got so many downs and headshots due to the tight spread, and just to give the idea of the distance it's effective, I managed to get downs with one/two shots from one staircase on Mansion to the other staircase inside near longshot. On the other hand though, the gun doesn't feel right at all at close range. It quickly seems ineffective when used at a point blank distance in my opinion.

I just had a great time playing with 3 other randoms in Ranked Execution for the past 3 hours. The two that were already in a group invited me and the other guy to a party after playing well together for a while. We all ended adding each other in the end.

I made a bunch of good friends playing this game back in '06-07, so that one rare occurrence happening was a weirdly nostalgic experience for me.

There's also the important bit about this game being pretty much exactly what I wanted out of it. Kinda feels like a dream playing this game in such a great state again all these years later. I'm glad they significantly toned down the character team highlighting from the beta. The Gnasher spread also feels as close as possible to how I remember it in Gears 1, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

sangreal

jesus I forgot how hard this was on insane w/o co-op

at least the loading times are fast lol

active reload is still the shit

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Eh, the dips there are not huge, but it is a bit puzzling nonetheless.

That sequence runs very very poorly on 360, though, so it's still an improvement.

I also ran into a few progression glitches. Once at the gas station, after killing the first wave, nothing happened. I could just run around freely. Had to reload a checkpoint.

There must be a special region of the gaming brain dedicated purely to remastering our older memories of game graphics. Its uncanny.

It's happened with a lot of remakes. I remember looking at screenshots of Zelda: OOT 3D and thinking "that's how it looked on the N64" before seeing a comparison and finding that it certainly was not the case.

Turned on the game for a couple minutes, and noticed the preorder DLC characters weren't listed in the multiplayer lobby even though they're downloaded. Is there something I need to do to activate them?

OrangeOak

how you can go from one of the best headshots in games to what is in that game.
They have similar sound (sometimes there is even no sound) but in 70% of cases there is no blood or flying head pieces, the head just disappears.
I don't know if this is a glitch or something but sometimes I don't even know that it was a headshot.
It's a shame.
Also, 4 rounds execution is a joke IMO

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I can't kill people with the lancer :/
Good. It's a support weapon.

Guys, tell me wall bouncing and shot gunning is the go to like original gears. Does it feel the same?
Yes. It is. The shotgun is slightly altered in its feel. Headshots aren't quite as awesome.

But this is as good as it gets. Really though, for the franchise to have gone through so many changes over nearly a decade, they've left it as untouched as possible while still making it seem fresh. Major kudos should go out to the Coalition.

This question really gets to the core of everything that separates Gears 1 from the rest, though. Is skill and success defined more by gunplay (Gears 2-J), or by movement? Fortunately in this game, just like Gears 1, it's still all movement based. Like I said in a previous post, movement is still everything and as such, Gnasher remains king.

I agree with you that this was a part of the charm of Gears. And I'm as much of a purist as it'll get (I much preferred playlists over matchmaking which is a product of modernizing the game), I understand why they were removed. These are glitches that in good faith shouldn't have been in the first game and wouldn't make sense.

With that said, Weapon sliding is still in (at least on Canals) :D.

Whats up with the dump Ai at the first bezerker encounter? I dont remember it so complicated to get her at the doors. Last door took me 3 minutes lol

Montresor

I pre-ordered this yesterday at the online microsoft store. Silly me... it's probably not going to arrive for a week.

I did because you get $15 XBL credit for doing this. Oh well.

Top Bottom