• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany sales update: PS4 3.25 million; Wii U 750K; XBO 710K

ethomaz

Banned
Xbox One is comfortably ahead Nintendo Wii U in Europe.

Nintendo Wii U has only shipped 3.53 million systems in (Other) regions. Xbox One is above 3.5 million sell-through with just UK, France and Germany.
I guess people are more thinking inline of EU without UK... only the countries XB1 and WiiU had similar numbers.

UK makes XB1 be way ahead.

D6l8fu1.gif

That's more than 4:1
playstation: 4
xbox: 1

although honestly it doesn't look that bad.

Eirulan

Understandable numbers.
I'm from germany and I wouldn't buy a Xbox One if it was 100 Euro with 2 free games and all my friends are the same.
If only Nintendo had similar Deals like Microsoft here... I'd love to buy a WiiU

jjonez18

Also the Ps4 released several months later in Japan and missed the first holiday period so the LTDs aren't covering the same time period. But still, it's a bad picture for Japan.

As of now, PS4 is flat when compared to PS3 in Japan. It's just killing it everywhere else. Someone posted it already but PS4 is at 3.2m after 2.5 years. PS3 had a LTD of alittle over 4m. That's a massive improvement.

Shin-chan

As of now, PS4 is flat when compared to PS3 in Japan. It's just killing it everywhere else.
I was not aware of that, thanks.

I do think it has an uphill struggle there. Software in general is just not really performing as well as it should, regardless of hardware, and there seems to be just not enough interest really. Which I find very sad.

Correction: not a lot of people gaming on consoles over there.

Most of them play on PC. As god intended.

This is untrue. While PC gaming is more popular in Germany than in other western European nations console gaming still takes the biggest amount of revenue at least when it comes to traditional software

This graph is from 2014:
martketrxujw.png

It also includes Steam. Doesn't include F2P or MMOs (that is why mobile revenue is so low). Considering the utter dominance of PS4 in console space It's the biggest platform in Germany at least for traditional games.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Oh yeah, Ryng. You can also put Wii U's YTD as 60k since it sold 690k at the end of 2015.

Huum, the article is usual to round the numbers, something even by a massive margin, like a 10k difference could be 50k to 70k for Wii U which is a big range.

But ok, i'll update the article with Wii U too.

NHale

I still don't understand why EA has exclusive features for FIFA on the X1.

Because $.

EA completely screwed MS on that one because it's not even an exclusive feature since only a small percentage of FUT owners will actually get access to legends. That's why most don't care about it despite some Microsoft parrots in the gaming media with no knowledge how FUT works, when it was announced declared it the biggest exclusive ever bought by any company and something that would definitely move the balance of power between PS4 and XB1 before launch.

Quite remarkable considering MS bought the exclusive rights to have Legends as a very rare item in FUT card drops. Imagine that, buying something to give your consumers but then it's no guarantee they will ever get that content.

jjonez18

Are we gonna get the #'s for the best selling/top grossing software in Germany for the mid year mark? Do they still release those? I imagine DS3, Uncharted, and even R&C have to hold a couple of those top spots.

Rolf NB

I still don't understand why EA has exclusive features for FIFA on the X1.
Corporation assuming market shares would come out the same as the single gen before it, in ignorance of all variables that have changed. Or had changed before that, leading to last gen's outcome in the first place.

Can't save everyone.

Lucumo

This is untrue. While PC gaming is more popular in Germany than in other western European nations console gaming still takes the biggest amount of revenue at least when it comes to traditional software

How does your statement make what he said untrue? You don't have to buy digital games to play on a PC.

How does your statement make what he said untrue? You don't have to buy digital games to play on a PC.

?
That chart of course includes also retail sales. It's revenue of both retail and digital combined. Even assuming that MMOs and F2P games double the revenue for PC and do nothing for consoles it would be 50-50 marketshare. So ''Correction: not a lot of people gaming on consoles over there.'' is absolutely bollocks.

Lucumo

?
That chart of course includes also retail sales. It's revenue of both retail and digital combined. Even assuming that MMOs and F2P games double the revenue for PC and do nothing for consoles it would be 50-50 marketshare. So ''Correction: not a lot of people gaming on consoles over there.'' is absolutely bollocks.

The chart says "[...] digital games (in million €)".
He said not a lot of people play console in Germany (compared to the US) which is true. Most people play on the PC which is also true.

The chart says "[...] digital games (in million €)".
He said not a lot of people play console in Germany (compared to the US) which is true. Most people play on the PC which is also true.

Someone said that not a lot of people game in Germany (as he thought these hw numbers are low) and he replied with that not a lot of people game on consoles. That is bs when console market is bigger than PC market in Germany. Also if that chart only includes digital sales (from the source I thought it was both retail+digital) that actually paints even more console heavy picture as while retail sales for PC games in Germany are definitely way higher than in most countries consoles are still the kings of retail even in Germany (when GFK still released the top 100 every week from Germany PS4 alone dominated that chart in terms of entries).

PS4 slayin in Germany. I wonder how it's doing in Canada. Compared to XB1, PS4s barely go on sale here and the price even went up after launch.

Lucumo

Someone said that not a lot of people game in Germany (as he thought these hw numbers are low) and he replied with that not a lot of people game on consoles. That is bs when console market is bigger than PC market in Germany. Also if that chart only includes digital sales (from the source I thought it was both retail+digital) that actually paints even more console heavy picture as while retail sales for PC games in Germany are definitely way higher than in most countries consoles are still the kings of retail even in Germany (when GFK still released the top 100 every week from Germany PS4 alone dominated that chart in terms of entries).
There is no correlation between people buying games and people playing games, as I already stated. You don't need to buy anything to play games on the PC which is why the PC market has far more players than the console market (saw a graphic last year and PC dominated).
Nah, that chart is just messed up. They probably had no idea what they were doing and named it wrong.

143099946544.png

Not sure what exactly goes in there (and VR is debatable) but this seems to be a decent one.

spekkeh

Banned
Is the market similar in Europe in general? I never thought the Xbox to be so close to the Wii U in terms of life sales.
Oitside of the UK, pretty much yeah. I think Nintendo could've quite comfortably "won" consolation second prize if they would have gone the same lengths as MS to sell it. But they decided against flogging the horse.

There is no correlation between people buying games and people playing games, as I already stated. You don't need to buy anything to play games on the PC which is why the PC market has far more players than the console market (saw a graphic last year and PC dominated).
Nah, that chart is just messed up. They probably had no idea what they were doing and named it wrong.

143099946544.png

Not sure what exactly goes in there (and VR is debatable) but this seems to be a decent one.

Well I still don't think anyone can claim that ''not a lot of people gaming on consoles in Germany'' though (when the market still makes more revnue than PC market even in that graph) but fair enough.

oti

Banned
Holy Japan, Batman !

WiiU over XBone is the main wtf here

Is it really?
Since everyone buys a PS4 over an Xbox anyway those who want another console would rather get something completely different like the Wii U instead of another PS4 but worse. At least from my experience.

Lucumo

Well I still don't think anyone can claim that ''not a lot of people gaming on consoles in Germany'' though (when the market still makes more revnue than PC market even in that graph) but fair enough.

In comparison with the US, sure, but it has a way higher population (as others pointed out to the original poster) but as a percentage...the numbers are high enough.

Portable consoles/handhelds are really dying though. The mobile market is killing them (as elsewhere) and it's also eating into desktop browser gaming which was pretty big 10 years ago.

ps3ud0

So is Germany the biggest console market in EU now or is it still the UK? I dont think we've had UK figures for the whole market for a while.

Also when it comes to the XO wouldnt Germany be only behind the UK in sales? I cant think of other EU countries that are big enough to do such numbers. France seems to favour Nintendo...

ps3ud0 8)

KDR_11k

I'm guessing one reason the XBox has a hard time is that when the 360 launched most of its major exclusives did not release in Germany (Condemned, Dead Rising, Gears of War, Crackdown were all indexed or simply not released), hurting its early appeal and preventing it from building much of a fanbase that could carry over to the One.

Yeap but I guess the girl got first and made the guy goes to the other unit while the girl removed her unit...

Also given how fast they ran at the aisle he might be bracing himself a bit just to stop from his run.

Top Bottom