• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany sales update: PS4 3.25 million; Wii U 750K; XBO 710K

oti

Banned
With all Xbox One games releasing on PC in a PC-crazy country this doesn't surprise me one bit.

I'm sorry what. The Xbox has been tanking since its release three years ago when the PC strategy wasn't even in the cards yet. This has nothing to do with PC. This is just Xbox One selling terribly since forever.

Welfare

For some perspective for how these consoles are doing:

Xbox 360 November 2008 [36 months]: 664k
PS3 November 2008 [21 months]: 696k
Wii November 2008 [24 months]: 1.388m

Xbox One July 2016 [33 months]: 706k
PS4 July 2016 [33 months]: 3.26m
Wii U July 2016 [44 months]: 750k

LTD for 7th gen in Germany wasn't updated much past 2008 so there isn't a more accurate comparison for PS and Nintendo, but it is clear that both the XB1 and PS4 are doing better than their predecessors and Wii U is lagging behind significantly.

ethomaz

Banned

LTD for 7th gen in Germany wasn't updated much past 2008 so there isn't a more accurate comparison for PS and Nintendo, but it is clear that both the XB1 and PS4 are doing better than their predecessors and Wii U is lagging behind significantly.
I did not expect to PS4 be so ahead Wii... even counting the add months for Wii it will be close to 2:1.

Cess007

Soo, the Xbox One ain't doing actually bad in comparison with the 360. It's just that the PS4 is doing stupidly good

Welfare

Soo, the Xbox One ain't doing actually bad in comparison with the 360. It's just that the PS4 is doing stupidly good

PS4 is doing insanely good. Xbox One is doing bad in the sense that it is so far behind the PS4 when the 360 was artificially doing good in Germany compared to the PS3 because the 360 had a 16 month head start.

At the end of their respective second year, the Xbox One was 56% ahead of the 360.

Xbox 360 December 2007 [25 Months]: 384k
Xbox One December 2015 [26 Months]: 601k

And at month 16/17

Xbox 360 March 2007 [16 Months]: 252.5k
Xbox One March 2007 [17 Months]: 378k [+50%]

So the Xbox One is actually increasing the gap between it and the 360.

Cess007

PS4 is doing insanely good. Xbox One is doing bad in the sense that it is so far behind the PS4 when the 360 was artificially doing good in Germany compared to the PS3 because the 360 had a 16 month head start.

At the end of their respective second year, the Xbox One was 56% ahead of the 360.

And at month 16/17

Do you have any PS2 numbers in comparison with the PS4? It would be interesting to see if the PS4 is doing as close as good as the PS2

CrazE

Banned
This is why people overstate the importance of Npd Because worldwide it's not close.

I never understood this line of thinking. NPD is a separate thing. Just USA... just like this is just about Germany. Bringing up the World in an NPD thread would be like bringing up NPD sales numbers in a Germany sales thread, or Japan sales thread.

All this talk of NPD when Xbox won by last month by only 10k is suspect.

Yes, we know NPD is not the world, but why are people in here feeling the need to downplay it's significance all of a sudden.

It's awfully transparent what people are getting at and it's just as embarrassing as the people who were high giving each other over the first Xbox win of the year.

And at month 16/17

X360 was successor to console that sold like dog shit in Germany. Xbox One is successor to console that sold actually pretty well in Germany (around 2.5 million). Even while MS was trying their best to sabotage Xbox One launch it was pretty much impossible for Xbox One sell less than X360 during first few years. This reminds me how people showed that 3DS is doing amazingly because it was ahead of DS launch aligned for year or two. Give it year or two and Xbox One will fall behind X360 launch aligned in germany and will not sell anywhere near the X360 LTD.

Oersted

The Wii U has been a done and dusted failure for years now. Nintendo would be more worried about not effing up the NX than checking where the dead Wii U compares to other systems.

If anything, it's worrisome for MS in Germany that it's taken this long to beat out one of the worst selling consoles of all times

Xbox One launched exactly during the highpoint of the NSA scandal with the always on Kinect.

Noone minded buying a Wii U. People warned about Xbox One.

Xbone release was toxic and it had to go up against a far more popular brand with weaker offerings. Wii U had its niche.

Fdkn

Let's stop wondering why every other market "likes Playstation", and rather start wondering why people in English speaking countries buy Microsoft consoles.

This is why I find all that talk about scorpio closing gaps fruitless. Europe and Asia are not going to start buying xboxes because 6 teraflops and some more US-centric marketing.

The US is the largest market for consumer spending, so..... yes it is quite important.

I believe the EU is technically the biggest market for consumer spending. Yes they are separate countries, but it is a single market. 19.205 trillion gdp for EU, 16.77 trillion for US.

Kaydan

Banned
This is why I find all that talk about scorpio closing gaps fruitless. Europe and Asia are not going to start buying xboxes because 6 teraflops and some more US-centric marketing.

They almost did it with the 360, with a year head start mind you.

Rellik

They almost did it with the 360, with a year head start mind you.

It was one and half years in Europe. And the PS3 still managed to catch up with the 360 thanks to places like Germany not caring about the Xbox and all buying PS3s.

PtM

Banned
Xbox One launched exactly during the highpoint of the NSA scandal with the always on Kinect.

Xbone release was toxic and it had to go up against a far more popular brand with weaker offerings. Wii U had its niche.
Good call.

Haunted

Yup.

Where the Wii was able to transcend the usual gaming bubble and reach into the mainstream in a positive way last generation, the XB1 managed the same this generation - but negatively.

I've had people who usually have little to no idea about console hardware suddenly speak up to me and mention Microsoft's "new surveillance box".

Couple that extremely negative first impression with the off-putting US-centric marketing before and during launch and it's easy to see why it didn't manage to reach the larger market (remember "40% marketshare"?) and basically bombed just as hard as the WiiU did.

RibMan

This is why people overstate the importance of Npd Because worldwide it's not close.

I agree with you, but I think the deeper issue is that a global context is often unwelcomed by the loudest responders in a sales discussion.

Without context then numbers are just numbers. For example, the reason why it's easy to criticize and or make fun of PR fluff pieces such as BC hours/bullets fired/sniffs of a finger/etc. is because the numbers are almost never contextualized -- they are literally meaningless. With that in mind, it makes sense to try to figure out what a sales victory -- whether it be weekly or monthly -- actually means for a product or a piece of software.

It's fine that the PS4 is leading the pack in Germany, but what do the numbers actually tell us? Do the numbers indicate a wider trend in Europe i.e. Europeans aren't that interested in supporting two consoles (concurrently)? If yes, then what can that tell us about the PS4 elsewhere -- can the numbers in Germany and EU be indicative of a global shift towards the PlayStation ecosystem? If yes, then how should Sony position Neo: should it be a higher-spec PS4 that lives alongside the current PS4 OR should it be the one and only PS4 going forward? Etc etc etc. This stuff might be boring to people because it requires spending more time thinking about countries that you only read about, but to a good number of us, it's really really interesting to know and discuss how this videogame 'thing' is actually doing in different parts of the world.

v1oz

The Wii U could be a viable platform in Germany and Japan.

Must be all those Shin'en fans which are making people buy Wii U.

KHlover

Banned
Wonder if the WiiU or the XB1 will have made more money by the time NX/Scorpio come around. XB1 started more expensive and pretty quickly fell off a cliff while WiiU got one drop for the Premium console and largely stayed the same ever since. Actually is more expensive than the XB1 right now. Quick search on amazon tells me I can get XB1 + 2 games for 250€, whereas WiiU + 1 game is 280€.

Lister

Banned
This is untrue. While PC gaming is more popular in Germany than in other western European nations console gaming still takes the biggest amount of revenue at least when it comes to traditional software

This graph is from 2014:
martketrxujw.png

It also includes Steam. Doesn't include F2P or MMOs (that is why mobile revenue is so low). Considering the utter dominance of PS4 in console space It's the biggest platform in Germany at least for traditional games.

There is no way that chart is accurate. Source?

Lister

Banned
There is no correlation between people buying games and people playing games, as I already stated. You don't need to buy anything to play games on the PC which is why the PC market has far more players than the console market (saw a graphic last year and PC dominated).
Nah, that chart is just messed up. They probably had no idea what they were doing and named it wrong.

143099946544.png

Not sure what exactly goes in there (and VR is debatable) but this seems to be a decent one.

This chart is weirdly structured. With consoels being lumped in with VR and smart Tv gaming,which apparently is not miniscule in Germany.

Some percentages: https://www.bitkom.org/Presse/Press...-Praesentation-PK-Gaming-11-08-2016-final.pdf

(Warnign PDF). Out of people who consider themselves gamers in Germany 78% play games on laptops and 67% on PC vs 59% on consoles.

Here's another info graphic from Newzoo: https://newzoo.com/insights/infographics/infographic-german-games-market/

The PC screen dominates. And I'm not sure if TV screen is just consoles or also incorporates things like PC gaming on the big screen.

Moonstone

This chart is weirdly structured. With consoels being lumped in with VR and smart Tv gaming,which apparently is not miniscule in Germany.

Some percentages: https://www.bitkom.org/Presse/Press...-Praesentation-PK-Gaming-11-08-2016-final.pdf

(Warnign PDF). Out of people who consider themselves gamers in Germany 78% play games on laptops and 67% on PC vs 59% on consoles.

Here's another info graphic from Newzoo: https://newzoo.com/insights/infographics/infographic-german-games-market/

The PC screen dominates. And I'm not sure if TV screen is just consoles or also incorporates things like PC gaming on the big screen.

I think it is known that in germany PC is relative strong - compared to other markets, where consoles clearly dominate.
You can see it from the size of the PC section in stores, Sim segment and a lot of smaller Steam titles do get a disc release here. Iphs

The initial question was: Why are there so few gamers? The answer is: Germany is probably not as hardcore as UK but people play a lot on PC and also on Handhelds.
It still might be true to some extent (never had an arcade culture here) - but you'd have to take a look on the whole picture and also include the "old" consoles.

NDS for instance was the most succesfull gaming hardware ever with 7,5 mio sold - easily beating the PS2 (5,9).

However the exact numbers are - there are not so many stationary console gamers because people play on other devices - probably more than in other countries where consoles dominate.

Lucumo

Yep, it's as I mentioned which is the reason why I disliked that part. Handheld/tablet one was interesting though, same with casual browser/mobile.

Thanks for the second link, that one includes the chart I mentioned (with PC dominating). Funny thing regarding the first link, they group the laptop as mobile...which isn't really the case. I'm always surprised (and taken aback) at how many people play MMOs on their laptops.

Oersted

Wonder if the WiiU or the XB1 will have made more money by the time NX/Scorpio come around. XB1 started more expensive and pretty quickly fell off a cliff while WiiU got one drop for the Premium console and largely stayed the same ever since. Actually is more expensive than the XB1 right now. Quick search on amazon tells me I can get XB1 + 2 games for 250€, whereas WiiU + 1 game is 280€.

I wonder how much the marketing costs are. The launch advertisement campaign for Xbox One was extremely agressive. Deaf, but extremely aggressive. You couldn't go anywhere without seeing Xbox ads. And they got the Bundesliga tie in. Can't be cheap.

madmackem

Yes, we know NPD is not the world, but why are people in here feeling the need to downplay it's significance all of a sudden.

It's awfully transparent what people are getting at and it's just as embarrassing as the people who were high giving each other over the first Xbox win of the year.
Because npd is not the world and the bigger picture is winning one month by 10k while it's getting smashed 100 times that or more worldwide shows how little it means in the big picture.

kyser73

Beating your opponent by devaluing your product, making less money and then only getting ~7% better sales is certainly significant for a lot of bad reasons.

wbEMX

<- German

There is no need for a xbox one, PS4 + WiiU has the best Value.
Xbox one exclusive = 99% Shooters and nobody cares about shooters on a consoles.

<- Also German :p

While I agree that PS4 + Wii U offers a very, very broad library of games and seems like the way-to-go I don't agree with the second statement. Yes, Xbox One has more shooters, but that's not the reason we don't buy the XBONE. We have a huge console shooter market, it just sits where most people play: On PS4. We do care about console shooters, but why bother getting both consoles when one of them is just fine?

Top Bottom