• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany Top 20 - March 2017: Zelda BotW beats Horizon, Ghost Recon and Mass Effect

Zedark

Are the dates recorded March 1st through March 31st?

Yes, since it tracks KH 1.5+2.5 this month (which released march 31st) and didn't track HZD last month (which launched March 1st). So, it tracks at least March 1st through March 31st.

TS-08

So if you go to the Olympics and win a silver medal you didn't actually compete?

Being in second place in a sales chart doesn't necessarily mean you're competitive with the number one release in the sense that that poster who made the comparison meant it. If #1 sold one million, and #2 sold 100k, then no, #2 is not "competitive." Now I'm sure the two titles are close as of right now, but I'm just pointing out the flaw in this analogy and in using this kind of chart, with no numbers, to make such a comparison.

Mario Kart was 3rd? How beastly will that game be?

Yeah I was like...what? I dont know why that game is so high on Amazon well before it even releases but I edited in the link in the last post. Maybe I'm just underestimating how well it's going to do, or maybe Amazon had a price error at some point? I don't know.

Zedark

Being in second place in a sales chart doesn't necessarily mean you're competitive with the number one release in the sense that that poster who made the comparison meant it. If #1 sold one million, and #2 sold 100k, then no, #2 is not "competitive." Now I'm sure the two titles are close as of right now, but I'm just pointing out the flaw in this analogy and in using this kind of chart, with no numbers, to make such a comparison.

Yeah, we can use amazon.de for a rough ballpark, and HZD outsold Zelda Switch on there, so it stands to reason that the two are reasonably close together. Great results for both, as they both outsold ME:A and GR:W.

Yeah I was like...what? I dont know why that game is so high on Amazon well before it even releases but I edited in the link in the last post. Maybe I'm just underestimating how well it's going to do, or maybe Amazon had a price error at some point? I don't know.
Seeing as MK8D is still generally charting first in the hourly sales chart on amazon.com at the full RRP, I think you simply underestimated it.

Edit: Here's a link for the German hourly chart: https://www.amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/videogames

The same thing can be seen in practically all other amazon charts (except Japan, Italy and UK) and everywhere it is close to the top, so it definitely seems to be a beast.

Dinda

What a weird turn this thread is making.... Don't you guys realize that both Horizon and Zelda achieved something great here? Germany loves Ubisoftgame and for them to both beat Wildlands is just fantastic. Don't forget that Germany also still got a healthy PC retail market, which should have helped Wildlands even more.
I'm sure both Nintendo and Sony are absolutely thrilled by those results.

Zedark

What a weird turn this thread is making.... Don't you guys realize that both Horizon and Zelda achieved something great here? Germany loves Ubisoftgame and for them to both beat Wildlands is just fantastic. Don't forget that Germany also still got a healthy PC retail market, which should have helped Wildlands even more.

There's your key to the ridiculousness. It's pretty sad.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is going to be a monster. The fact its out 2 months after launch is gonna propel it far more than MK8 vanilla. Also the platform its on doesnt suck ass.

Tubie

fire_community.gif

Great to see Zelda and Horizon (even Nier is higher than I expected) doing well!

redcrayon

That's funny.

Google search: define compete

Compete: Strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others.
You think any company, athlete or whatever looks around and doesn't think the people in second place are a competitor? It's the 'strive to gain or win' that defines the competitor, (and even more so if they are a close threat), not actually winning. A company that can put out something like Horizon in their first crack at a much-used genre and slide into second place behind Zelda is absolutely worth watching, and almost certainly what both Sony and Nintendo consider a valid competitor in capturing people's imagination with open-world adventuring.

Both are amazing games, I don't really see the need to piss on anyone's achievements here. Horizon has the advantage of an install base 20+ times higher and BotW the advantage of a staff with years of experience in the genre and an established fanbase. Neither make them an automatic, easy success, games have flopped with all of those advantages in the past, both games represent success following years of hard work.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hahahaha this is the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Zelda came first, horizon came second. I was pointing it out to the guy that was spinning it as though it was a great achievement that Horizon came second because he was comparing it to Zelda.

It's no big deal for me if horizon came first, that means it really did great especially against Zelda.

Search my post history if you like about me apparently being salty about horizon since I've never really talked about the game.

You say that but...

KHlover

Banned
Wouldn't have helped it in this chart though, PC gaming is almost exclusively digital. Digital:physical split should be somewhere around 90/10 or so.

The selection in your average MediaMarkt/Saturn is way better than anything the US has to offer, but steam still stomps.

Being first wouldn't be a great achievement if there weren't stuff competition. There was, though, and Horizon still beat Ghost Recon and Andromeda, so that definitely is a great achievement.

If you ain't first, you're last!

Sorry, just wanted to use the reference.

RootCause

I wish Zelda and Horizon fans could just calm down and be happy for each other and agree that Wildlands sucks
Lol I wish triggered zelda fans would stop losing their minds when something positive is said about horizon.

This is how we got here, one user congratulated GG achievement, and we were off to the races.

Unknown?

I don't see how it's spin when one has far, far more customers that are able to actually buy it.
One platform also has far, far more big games releasing at the same time with more on the way(Persona). Seriously both the games have been a big success. Why belittle one success?

I like how it's not "ok" to belittle Horizon when that never happened. That person brought up Horizon and Zelda, but it's ok to crap on the Switch and say Zelda only sold well because it's the only game. Then I guess someone can point out the big PS4 install base...

Btw TalentAlwaysWins was in BotW and Horizon topics while the games were launching. He or she was negative towards BotW and pretty positive in the Horizon topics.

Anyways no need to derail anymore. I'll leave it at that.

geordiemp

I assume this is Physical only, and some titles will have a 30 % to 95 % possible digital amount, and some less so.

So the overall winner is hard to tell, could even be a PC title like Ghost recon or MEA with steam and Digital Ps4, which would be funny considering the Zelda vs Horizon discussions

Caronte

Read his posts again. He said unless you come out on top you are not really in a competition, because someone else won.

He wasn't talking about numbers or sales, his only reasoning was that Horizon was second in the chart, therefore, it failed when compared to Zelda.

Unknown?

I like how it's not "ok" to belittle Horizon when that never happened. That person brought up Horizon and Zelda, but it's ok to crap on the Switch and say Zelda only sold well because it's the only game. Then I guess someone can point out the big PS4 install base...
Dude did you read his comment? He stated it being a jackass. You can say stuff the same thing several times and have different meanings every time. The guy who originally pointed out Horizon doing well never mentioned Zelda being a failure.

Yeah, I don't really care.

I'm just laughing so hard because everyone got so sensitive from me pointing out a fact.
Saying something in second place doesn't sound like an achievement is an opinion not a fact.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Remember when people said Zelda games don't sell anymore lol.

Especially impressive considering the tiny Switch install base. What is it in Germany like 20:1 in favour of PS4?

Yeah, I don't really care.

I'm just laughing so hard because everyone got so sensitive from me pointing out a fact.

Hehe, who do you think you're fooling exactly?

Sad result for ME:A. I hope this downturn results in them upping their game, instead of the entire Montreal arm of Bioware to either be relegated to support for the other studios, or axed entirely. Next month's results should be even more telling.

Remember when people said Zelda games don't sell anymore lol.

Especially impressive considering the tiny Switch install base. What is it in Germany like 20:1 in favour of PS4?

Well, as others have said, it's essentially the sole game people buy a Switch for. Wouldn't surprise me if the attach rate for that game is 90%+. On the other hand, Horizon sold 2.5 million copies on a 50 million userbase, so that's like a 5% attach rate.

TS-08

Read his posts again. He said unless you come out on top you are not really in a competition, because someone else won.

He wasn't talking about numbers or sales, his only reasoning was that Horizon was second in the chart, therefore, it failed when compared to Zelda.

Your analogy still doesn't work. You can be in second place and still not be competitive with first place in the sense that we usually mean it (and how the poster who originally used it in this thread obviously meant it). A baseball team who gets second place in the division was not competitive with the first place team if they ended the season 12 games back.

Dude did you read his comment? He stated it being a jackass. You can say stuff the same thing several times and have different meanings every time. The guy who originally pointed out Horizon doing well never mentioned Zelda.
He never mentioned Zelda? So what 20+ year franchise was he talking about? Lol

Fredrik

What is going on in this thread? I thought the Horizon vs Zelda battles were over and we had moved on.
Lol easy now, we've only seen talk about how Zelda fans gets pissed when there is talk about how great Horizon ZD is yet, we need to get to the other side of the argument too where Horizon fans gets pissed when there is talk about how great Zelda is too ;)
Pro tip, just stay out of it and enjoy both games. Top 2 games this generation imo.

Edited to say not belittling Zelda. My God you guys are so defensive. Lol
It's no big deal. I'm just saying I've seen his/her post history and how he/she acts in the BotW topics compared to the Horizon topics. And I can understand someone seeing his/her comment as a slight to BotW. That's all I'm saying. Lol

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, we can use amazon.de for a rough ballpark, and HZD outsold Zelda Switch on there, so it stands to reason that the two are reasonably close together. Great results for both, as they both outsold ME:A and GR:W.

Seeing as MK8D is still generally charting first in the hourly sales chart on amazon.com at the full RRP, I think you simply underestimated it.

Edit: Here's a link for the German hourly chart: https://www.amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/videogames

The same thing can be seen in practically all other amazon charts (except Japan, Italy and UK) and everywhere it is close to the top, so it definitely seems to be a beast.

Currently the best selling game on amazon.com hourly chart.

The king is coming

ggx2ac

If you guys are really going to argue over the semantics about the word compete then think about this.

Zelda came first, it was the system seller of a new console even though it had a version on the Wii U.

It was pretty much the underdog because the PS4 had a much larger install base by millions.

The fact that Zelda came first meant that Horizon wasn't that competitive.

Are you really going to look back 20 years from now and say, "Remember when Horizon came second at launch in Germany? What a great achievement."

That's why it's so hilarious. That's being called a great achievement when Zelda was the underdog and came first.

Top Bottom