• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany Top 20 - March 2017: Zelda BotW beats Horizon, Ghost Recon and Mass Effect

Lol easy now, we've only seen talk about how Zelda fans gets pissed when there is talk about how great Horizon ZD is yet, we need to get to the other side of the argument too where Horizon fans gets pissed when there is talk about how great Zelda is too ;)
Pro tip, just stay out of it and enjoy both games. Top 2 games this generation imo.

Best advice here. Folks need to realize that more than one game can be great at one time. The zelda versus horizon stuff was ridiculous. People on gaf act like they get a bonus if they hype up their preferred game at times.

Elandyll

Banned
If you guys are really going to argue over the semantics about the word compete then think about this.

Zelda came first, it was the system seller of a new console even though it had a version on the Wii U.

It was pretty much the underdog because the PS4 had a much larger install base by millions.

The fact that Zelda came first meant that Horizon wasn't that competitive.

Are you really going to look back 20 years from now and say, "Remember when Horizon came second at launch in Germany? What a great achievement."

That's why it's so hilarious. That's being called a great achievement when Zelda was the underdog and came first.
I see you keep on not caring...

Fascinating.

Edit: just remembered that MEA also released. Yeesh. Can't imagine EA is too happy about that again.
There was a time a title like a ME releasing in March would be a sure bet for #1, or #2 at worst.

Caronte

Your analogy still doesn't work. You can be in second place and still not be competitive with first place in the sense that we usually mean it (and how the poster who originally used it in this thread obviously meant it). A baseball team who gets second place in the division was not competitive with the first place team if they ended the season 12 games back.

Except in this case he knew nothing but the list in front of him and said being second was not an achievement because the other one won (and going by your same logic not even being number 1 is an achievement as most weeks in Media Create threads will show you).

"This random artist we've known very recently about came second after Adele's new album in the top selling charts in the month both albums came out? That's not an achievement."

Yes it is. Because we are not living in a vacuum where those were the only 2 big games released this month.

The original poster used compete because both have been very successful releases as demonstrated by several sources, and being second in a chart is just another proof of that.

Edit: I mean just look at his last post, he's not saying what you think he is.

Zedark

Cant wait for the NPD thread... This is only the begining. Need to buy some popcorn.

Are we getting hardware numbers for the platforms tomorrow already? Or is that delayed by a week as well? If that's tomorrow, then I too need to go to the store real quick lol

Seriously, though, I wonder how well the Switch is selling hardware-wise. These numbers are really encouraging in that regard, hope someone will spill the beans at some point.

Zedark

Surprised 1-2 Switch is selling so well.

True, it's one of the two reasons (the other being Zelda) I think Switch is selling really well in Germany. High hardware sales could explain why 1-2-Switch is catching on so much in absolute numbers at least.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yeah, we can use amazon.de for a rough ballpark, and HZD outsold Zelda Switch on there, so it stands to reason that the two are reasonably close together. Great results for both, as they both outsold ME:A and GR:W.

Seeing as MK8D is still generally charting first in the hourly sales chart on amazon.com at the full RRP, I think you simply underestimated it.

Edit: Here's a link for the German hourly chart: https://www.amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/videogames

The same thing can be seen in practically all other amazon charts (except Japan, Italy and UK) and everywhere it is close to the top, so it definitely seems to be a beast.

Persona 5 on rank #74? You make me fucking sick, Germany.

Zedark

Persona 5 on rank #74? You make me fucking sick, Germany.

That's because it is sold out. Look at the yearly chart, which is where the real crime is located: https://www.amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/2017/videogames#3

Persona and Nier at #46 and #47 respectively is really bad, although it would put it over the PS4 version of LEGO Worlds, which charted 8th in this month's chart, so maybe it's not quite that bad after all. Also, since it's sold out, maybe we should blame ATLUS/retailers rather than the Germans?
#NintendoFans
There was one person working towards this narrative. Let's not generalise, now.

HardRojo

This thread went exactly as I expected it to go lol. So silly from both parties who apparently don't really care. Yeah, right. NPD thread is going to be insufferable this month it seems.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
That's because it is sold out. Look at the yearly chart, which is where the real crime is located: https://www.amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/2017/videogames#3

Persona and Nier at #46 and #47 respectively is really bad, although it would put it over the PS4 version of LEGO Worlds, which charted 8th in this month's chart, so maybe it's not quite that bad after all. Also, since it's sold out, maybe we should blame ATLUS/retailers rather than the Germans?

absolutelydisgusting.jpg

TS-08

Except in this case he knew nothing but the list in front of him and said being second was not an achievement because the other one won (and going by your same logic not even being number 1 is an achievement as most weeks in Media Create threads will show you).

"This random artist we've known very recently about came second after Adele's new album in the top selling charts in the month both albums came out? That's not an achievement."

Yes it is. Because we are not living in a vacuum where those were the only 2 big games released this month.

The original poster used compete because both have been very successful releases as demonstrated by several sources, and being second in a chart is just another proof of that.

Edit: I mean just look at his last post, he's not saying what you think he is.

None of that matters. You responded to a poor argument on one end with a poor argument on the other end, and I merely pointed that out. I'm aware that they likely are close in sales and said as much in my initial reply. But your analogy was still flawed. There's not much reason to struggle against this so much.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This thread went exactly as I expected it to go lol. So silly from both parties who apparently don't really care. Yeah, right. NPD thread is going to be insufferable this month it seems.

NPD has been largely dead since the format change so it will atleast be popular this month... gotta look at the bright side.

Zedark

NPD has been largely dead since the format change so it will atleast be popular this month... gotta look at the bright side.

They announced we would be getting a top 20 rather than a top 10, though, so maybe that reinvigorates these threads somewhat? I for one definitely find them to be more attractive with a top 20.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They announced we would be getting a top 20 rather than a top 10, though, so maybe that reinvigorates these threads somewhat? I for one definitely find them to be more attractive with a top 20.

This month in particular and most in follow up will be popular for the simply fact of the switch launch. Probably will be until find rough sales baseline for it other the season months.

Regardless of the nonsense that comes with it console launches are the most entertaining periods of sales threads

What is going on in this thread? I thought the Horizon vs Zelda battles were over and we had moved on.

Console war never ends.
I'm happy these 2 games succeed. They both fit my gaming tastes far better than the usual military shooters. Great to see that kind of game being so popular. I like to see BotW, Horizon, Nier, witcher 3 doing so well, maybe one day the domination of shooters will fade.

If you guys are really going to argue over the semantics about the word compete then think about this.

Zelda came first, it was the system seller of a new console even though it had a version on the Wii U.

It was pretty much the underdog because the PS4 had a much larger install base by millions.

The fact that Zelda came first meant that Horizon wasn't that competitive.

Are you really going to look back 20 years from now and say, "Remember when Horizon came second at launch in Germany? What a great achievement."

That's why it's so hilarious. That's being called a great achievement when Zelda was the underdog and came first.

I don't remember any game being first any month in any country. I certainly won't remeber either Zelda or Horizon.

Caronte

None of that matters. You responded to a poor argument on one end with a poor argument on the other end, and I merely pointed that out. I'm aware that they likely are close in sales and said as much in my initial reply. But your analogy was still flawed. There's not much reason to struggle against this so much.

Not interested in arguing about semantics, honestly.

14.) Landwirtschafts-Simulator 17

2b9f44e4d6a8b594c2239iutm.jpeg

Eh, it's pretty decent. Seems to borrow a lot from that other game, though, Horizon Zero Dawn.
I'M JOKING, I'M JOKING!!! DON'T START A FLAME WAR PLEASE!!!
I heard they both were far cry clones and ones only successful because it launched with a new platform and the other only sold because of pretty graphics

O and ghost recon doesn't deserve the sales it gets as well

Just things I've heard Xp

Mael

You guys fighting about the placements reminds me of a lesser POPGAF without the gifs or shade

Yeah, what's up with that!
At least show some gif or something, it's just lame back&forth otherwise.
Also try to be witty
#teampopcorn

Zedark

I heard they both were far cry clones and ones only successful because it launched with a new platform and the other only sold because of pretty graphics

O and ghost recon doesn't deserve the sales it gets as well

Just things I've heard Xp

That other game that launched this month seems to animate a lot of people in the wrong way, too, so bad month for games all around.
jk

Just saw Mario Kart 8 placement on Amazon for Germany. Looks like it's gonna well.

Decided to check here (US) and it's already in 10th for best selling video games for 2017. And I'm talking yearly chart not hourly.

DMONKUMA

I don't think anyone should be surprised when Mario Kart sells well. It's the next big game after Zelda on the Switch plus it's frickin Mario Kart. Of course it's gonna sell.

TS-08

Mario kart 8 going to clean up rerelease be damn. Any switch game releasing near better clear out the way or the suffer the blue shell

It has been interesting to see how the discussion around MK8D has changed since its reveal. Initially, there were several discussions about whether the game would sell all that much because it's a rerelease, with people arguing things like "Well if people wanted Mario Kart 8 so bad, wouldn't they have just bought a Wii U?" I feel like these arguments have mostly faded away since the system has released as people have come to understand that the Switch is far more compelling to the market than the Wii U ever was, and that MK8D will appeal to a ton of people who would have never given the Wii U a second glance (assuming they even knew what it was). I sense that most people have now accepted that the game is going to sell a ton and move a lot of Switches.

Top Bottom