• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany Top 20 - March 2017: Zelda BotW beats Horizon, Ghost Recon and Mass Effect

Salvadora

I don't think anyone should be surprised when Mario Kart sells well. It's the new big game after Zelda on the Switch plus it's Mario Kart. Of course it's gonna sell.
It's a rather curious case because we have never had a Mario Kart (enhanced) port before, so there isn't really any precedent for how it will sell.

It will do very well, of course, but I do wonder if it has a ceiling based on previous ownership.

TS-08

Just saw Mario Kart 8 placement on Amazon for Germany. Looks like it's gonna well.

Decided to check here (US) and it's already in 10th for best selling video games for 2017. And I'm talking yearly chart not hourly.

I just checked the US chart for 2017 and I saw it at 7.

It has been interesting to see how the discussion around MK8D has changed since its reveal. Initially, there were several discussions about whether the game would sell all that much because it's a rerelease, with people arguing things like "Well if people wanted Mario Kart 8 so bad, wouldn't they have just bought a Wii U?" I feel like these arguments have mostly faded away since the system has released as people have come to understand that the Switch is far more compelling to the market than the Wii U ever was, and that MK8D will appeal to a ton of people who would have never given the Wii U a second glance (assuming they even knew what it was). I sense that most people have now accepted that the game is going to sell a ton and move a lot of Switches.

Yeah, people tend to forget two things when it comes to that game. Barely anyone owned a Wii U, and Mario Kart is probably Nintendo's top selling franchise. Maybe second next to Pokemon.

It makes all those claims of "nothing to play after Zelda until Mario in December" so silly.

DMONKUMA

It's a rather curious case because we have never had a Mario Kart (enhanced) port before, so there isn't really any precedent for how it will sell.

It will do very well, of course, but I do wonder if it has a ceiling based on previous ownership.

I imagine a good amount of previous owners will buy.

It has been interesting to see how the discussion around MK8D has changed since its reveal. Initially, there were several discussions about whether the game would sell all that much because it's a rerelease, with people arguing things like "Well if people wanted Mario Kart 8 so bad, wouldn't they have just bought a Wii U?" I feel like these arguments have mostly faded away since the system has released as people have come to understand that the Switch is far more compelling to the market than the Wii U ever was, and that MK8D will appeal to a ton of people who would have never given the Wii U a second glance (assuming they even knew what it was). I sense that most people have now accepted that the game is going to sell a ton and move a lot of Switches.
That's interesting weren't in a lot of switch threads prior to launch. It's Mario kart on a new system enchanted port or not I can't see why anybody would think it wouldn't do well

Zedark

That's interesting weren't in a lot of switch threads prior to launch. It's Mario kart on a new system enchanted port or not I can't see why anybody would think it wouldn't do well

It was kinda the same time period when plenty of people thought the Switch would be a fail like the Wii U, so that kinda tells you what mindset was prevalent at the time.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
GTA V is just smirking at the Horizon vs Zelda stuff, because GTA V will still be hanging out on the list long after they're both gone.

TS-08

I think it came down to a lot of people just not thinking the Switch would be all that different in terms of popularity than the Wii U. Now that that narrative is changing, so is the discussion on Mario Kart.

Edit - yes, what Zedark said.

Mario Kart 8D will sell over 7 million if all goes how it should go.

You need to think bigger. If the Switch is even a modest success, I think 7 million is the floor. Seems the pre-release interest for Deluxe is significantly stronger than it was for the game back in 2014.

Mario Kart 8D will sell over 7 million if all goes how it should go.

I think it has far higher potential than that. It had a ~38% attach rate on Wii and a ~61% attach rate on Wii U. I'd assume this will be somewhere between that, maybe closer to 40%, and if Nintendo's rumored production numbers of 18.5M units by April 2018 wind up being accurate, it would get past 7 million by next year alone.

Not that I think they'll sell 18.5 million consoles by then, but given this sales potential just in year 1 I would think it's more likely to be >10 million units. Of course this depends on whether or not a MK9 ever happens on Switch (which I personally doubt).

Wait how did this turn into a Mario Kart sales prediction thread?

jrDev

I am technically a lapsed Nintendo home console gamer again so I never had Mario Kart 8, wife and I looking forward to that game so much. Might end up even buying more joycons now for more players...

On topic, yay for Zelda! Happy for Horizon too!

ggx2ac

You need to think bigger. If the Switch is even a modest success, I think 7 million is the floor. Seems the pre-release interest for Deluxe is significantly stronger than it was for the game back in 2014.

And we're not going to get a free digital game with Mario Kart 8 like back on the Wii U. That was great.

I'm sure it would sell well and it will be a good game, but I don't see it as a system seller like MK, Zelda or Splatoon.
Yeah, going off of what we've seen so far, it's hard to imagine it being a smash hit but crazier things have happened. I mean, many thought Splatoon would flop big time but it ended up doing really well

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, going off of what we've seen so far, it's hard to imagine it being a smash hit but crazier things have happened. I mean, many thought Splatoon would flop big time but it ended up doing really well

I can see it selling a few million easily. It's the main new IP to be launched with the system, it's has a similar style as Splatoon as being marketed with it. It's being sold near launch thus competition is thinner. Outside of Mario kart Zelda and splatoon it's the most popular and visible title in terms of views and it's not that far behind the next highest game. It will be marketed a fuck ton.

Zedark

I can see it selling a few million easily. It's the main new IP to be launched with the system, it's has a similar style as Splatoon as being marketed with it. It's being sold near launch thus competition is thinner. Outside of Mario kart Zelda and splatoon it's the most popular and visible title in terms of views and it's not that far behind the next highest game. It will be marketed a fuck ton.

Not true.
Parental Controls Switch is overlooked way too much smh.

MisterR

What hardware problems? Mine works perfectly.

I'm guessing he means the screen scratching, the joy cons signal problem, the possible warping in the dock. While yours has been fine, I'm sure you aren't oblivious to the issues that some people have dealt with.

I'm guessing he means the screen scratching, the joy cons signal problem, the possible warping in the dock. While yours has been fine, I'm sure you aren't oblivious to the issues that some people have dealt with.

While those are real issues (actually as far as I know the screen scratching is only caused by warped docks) they are all quite rare. The joycon issue by itself seems to be a common issue in the hardware, but it doesn't seem to be noticeable to many people even if they have the faulty hardware.

1. (neu) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. (neu) Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. (neu) Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  4. (neu) Mass Effect: Andromeda
  5. (3.) GTA V
  6. (4.) Fifa 17
  7. (neu) 1-2-Switch
  8. (neu) Lego Worlds
  9. (1.) For Honor
  10. (13.) Mafia 3
  11. (5.) Battlefield 1
  12. (neu) Nier: Automata
  13. (9.) Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  14. (2.) Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  15. (17.) Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  16. (11.) Minecraft
  17. (neu) Super Bomberman R
  18. (neu) Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 & 2.5 Remix
  19. (16.) Pokémon: Sonne
  20. (14.) Landwirtschafts-Simulator 17
via http://www.bild.de/spiele/spiele-ch...e-fuer-pc-playstation-xbox-44941444.bild.html

Beating Mass Effect in germany isnt that bad. But its Zelda. Will check it out on WiiU tonight. cant wait.

Zedark

Parental controls is not a freaking title haha. It's less than a million behind Splatoon 2 on the US channel.

Yeah, but you do need to be careful with youtube views. For example, I could argue in the same way that it won't be much more than a niche title because Xenoblade 2 (as a niche title) has more than 2/3 of ARMS' views, so ARMS can only be at most 1.5 times as successful as XB2.

Still, I think it'll be successful in its own right, with Splatoon numbers being the ultimate dream for the game.
yeah but I'm not talking about direct sales comparison I'm talking about visibility. For the situation the switch is in visibility for a title matters a lot.
Okay, fair enough. In terms of visibility it definitely is a good thing, though again similar caveats of youtube views not equaling full exposure can be made: Splatoon 2, for example, is much more visible than ARMS despite "only" a million more views on youtube. Anyway, it's argument we shouldn't push too far I think, and should just note that the signs are decently positive at the very least.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, but you do need to be careful with youtube views. For example, I could argue in the same way that it won't be much more than a niche title because Xenoblade 2 (as a niche title) has more than 2/3 of ARMS' views, so ARMS can only be at most 1.5 times as successful as XB2.

Still, I think it'll be successful in its own right, with Splatoon numbers being the ultimate dream for the game.

yeah but I'm not talking about direct sales comparison I'm talking about visibility. For the situation the switch is in visibility for a title matters a lot.

Can we have a 1,2 Switch vs Nier: Autómata fanboy war now? I am bored of HZD vs BOTW.

Let me begin:

Yaaas, Queen 1,2 switch skull-dragging Nie(r)

GTA V is just smirking at the Horizon vs Zelda stuff, because GTA V will still be hanging out on the list long after they're both gone.
No kidding. I'm genuinely curious about what GTA6 even looks like after the absolutely insane success GTA5 was and still is, even when comparing it to previous iterations.

KDR_11k

I just assume that all the Germans bought it on Steam :p

Yeah, because I couldn't find a single PC copy of it anywhere. Even Zelda is back in stock by now, albeit in small numbers.

Of course Switch sections are 90% unsold copies of 1-2-Switch...

Surprised by the low rank of Automata. Usually Germany loves niche Japanese games (see Zelda, even if that ain't niche), so I thought it would be in the top 10 easily.

MisterR

While those are real issues (actually as far as I know the screen scratching is only caused by warped docks) they are all quite rare. The joycon issue by itself seems to be a common issue in the hardware, but it doesn't seem to be noticeable to many people even if they have the faulty hardware.

I'm aware it doesn't seem widespread, I was just pointing it out to Sammy who seems baffled that there are any issues since his is fine.

Well I sure hope so because the marketing strategy for Fire Emblem Awakening and Splatoon worked rather well so I hope they don't slack off with Arms

Top Bottom