• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFWL marketplace purchases ending Aug 22, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

They've stated on Twitter that it's out of their hands because Microsoft owns the rights to the game.

And this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77830569&postcount=59

To be honest it sounds less "out of their hands" than "we can't afford this right now". I highly doubt Microsoft is going to pay anyone to patch their games. They'll just pull the plug on GFWL and move on and any developer that still wants to sell their old games will have to patch out GFWL.

vg260

The most important one has to be Dark Souls. No other GFWL game has the kind of depth and replayability that Dark Souls provides.

Capcom's back catalog, Dead Rising 2, Resident Evil 5, Lost Planet: ECCE, I wouldn't describe these titles as necessary plays. I don't see people clamoring to replay these games in 10 years.

Highly subjective. They all need to be patched.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry for bump but is there an updated list of games that will cease working when GFWL shuts down ?

The only games that will cease to work are those that don't support offline profiles. To the best of my knowledge only Bulletstorm and Dark Souls fall into this category (the latter technically supports offline profiles but saving requires an online profile), however I doubt they're the only ones as there are non-Steam titles to consider also.

Eusis

The only games that will cease to work are those that don't support offline profiles. To the best of my knowledge only Bulletstorm and Dark Souls fall into this category (the latter technically supports offline profiles but saving requires an online profile), however I doubt they're the only ones.
I should probably burn through Bulletstorm, although this fact is why I got it on XBL: so I have a copy that at worst will at least keep working once XBL is done WITHOUT hacks, and given how big that is it probably won't go down for quite awhile pending completely anarchy unfolding within Microsoft once they finally find a new CEO.

So if you don't create offline profile before GfWL is closed then every game is dead that requires it?

And what happens to those profiles when you move to new pc after service is closed ?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I should probably burn through Bulletstorm, although this fact is why I got it on XBL: so I have a copy that at worst will at least keep working once XBL is done WITHOUT hacks, and given how big that is it probably won't go down for quite awhile pending completely anarchy unfolding within Microsoft once they finally find a new CEO.

Bulletstorm is a ton of fun. I even opted to go for all the "skill shots", but admittedly this can detach you from the experience of, well, just losing yourself in the anarchy. It's a pity there's unlikely to ever be a sequel.

So if you don't create offline profile before GfWL is closed then every game is dead that requires it?

And what happens to those profiles when you move to new pc after service is closed ?

Games that support offline profiles can be played without ever contacting the GFWL service. The issues with leaving them in this state, though, are that such profiles can neither earn achievements nor make use of DLC, and of course any multiplayer functionality is a no-go.

wazoo

Problems with GFWL is also about patches.

I fail to see a list of patches for games through GFWL, since like Uplay the patches are only available online.

For steam + GFWL, it is not always the case that Steam has the last version, so the patches will be probably not available anymore.

As for being able to launch games, most games I own are ok without GFWL registration (you miss the online of course).

I tried Blaze Blue and i think it is ok too, and Tron as well, and many others.

Dirt 3 has to be patched but the patch is big because of the game structure.

SparkTR

This. What the hell offered GFWL that Steamworks didnt? I cannot fathom why some developers chose this over Steamworks on Pc. Completely insane.

It was easier to port over their Xbox code to PC with GFWL, Steamworks required more work to be done by the developer. It was literally the case of lazy developers striking again.

Though Japanese developers used it due to Microsoft having much better Japanese support.

eot

Banned
Is Sega going to do anything about The Club? You cannot save or load your game without GFWL...

I haven't played that particular game, but most GFWL games seem to support offline profiles so they back-end being cut off doesn't affect the single player game.

Silex

If I understand correctly, the GFW store closed last August, but I still should be able to download games I purchased there.
However I can't seem to get the client to work - it won't connect. The FAQ (and even support) links on the downloading page are broken.
Does it work for anyone else? I purchased Age of Empires back in the day for like a dollar and I'd like to download it before it's too late (or perhaps it is already)..

EDIT: Never mind, got it working. Had to manually uninstall an older version, couldn't get it updated.

Shiggy

I haven't played that particular game, but most GFWL games seem to support offline profiles so they back-end being cut off doesn't affect the single player game.

I see, if I disable my online connection, I'm automatically logged into my GFWL account.

I didn't buy Bulletstorm during the last sale only because Epic has refused to give us official information about what will happen with the game.

At this point I really wonder if they will let the game die like this.

Hypron

It was easier to port over their Xbox code to PC with GFWL, Steamworks required more work to be done by the developer. It was literally the case of lazy developers striking again.

Though Japanese developers used it due to Microsoft having much better Japanese support.

Smh. Time is money, when you have to work on a budget you can't afford to put in more hours than planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom