• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFWL marketplace purchases ending Aug 22, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Marketplace shutting down will not have an affect on the GFWL service. That said, 2K could make retail Bio/Bio2 keys Steam-friendly, but publishers rarely bother going the extra mile in this regard -- most recently, though, Sega did with Company of Heroes, bless its Aussie-taxing heart.

That might not always be the case though as far as redownloading content. As for my case I was asking because I never got a chance to play Minerva's Den (or purhcase it). The ideal solution would be if they would allow us to register our cd keys with steam and purchase the DLC from there.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That might not always be the case though as far as redownloading content. As for my case I was asking because I never got a chance to play Minerva's Den (or purhcase it). The ideal solution would be if they would allow us to register our cd keys with steam and purchase the DLC from there.

That is why I said it's possible for 2K to make keys retroactively Steam-friendly. There's no way of knowing if this will happen, though, until 2K itself decides to address the matter -- there is a Bio2 + Minerva's Den Retail sub in the Steam registry, but for all we know this could just be referring to bespoke Steam keys 2K intends to distribute to third-party DD retailers (as it's done with Bio and Bio2).

ChryZ

I read the OP, but still got a few questions :S

Purchasable on Steam, but requires GFWL for activation, so will die if GFWL dies and are not patched
Bulletstorm
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
Red Faction: Guerrilla - Sequel doesn't use GFWL, publisher dead, new IP owner probably isn't going to patch
Let's say I had Bulletstorm installed at one point and played it. I assume it was activated on GFWL and will continue to work?

I haven't installed Dark Souls or Red Faction: Guerrilla yet, would it be enough to install them and login via GFWL to gain activation now? Would the activation continue to be valid even if the GFWL servers go down?

JaseC

I read the OP, but still got a few questions :S

Let's say I had Bulletstorm installed at one point and played it. I assume it was activated on GFWL and will continue to work?

I haven't installed Dark Souls or Red Faction: Guerrilla yet, would it be enough to install them and login via GFWL to gain activation now? Would the activation continue to be valid even if the GFWL servers go down?

Theoretically, GFWL's offline mode should work.

mrpeabody

First of all, the excuse "it's because of MS points becoming realmoney" is the weakest kind of bullshit. They could convert GFWL Marketplace to real money if they wanted to, just like they're doing for 360, and they would if there were profit in it. This is a business decision.

Second, the Marketplace is the only part of GFWL that can even theoretically generate revenue. Without that, and with devs abandoning it, what is the purpose of GFWL for Microsoft? I don't see one.

Finally, if Jason Holtman's experience is in working on Steam, and MS is killing their Steam clone, how is he going to "deliver the games and entertainment customers want, and to work with developers to make that happen"? Apparently not through any kind of services for gamers, or middleware for developers.

Maybe his entire plan to revitalize PC gaming is a giant moneyhat labeled "Windows ports".

FyreWulff

It seemed kind of clear that the money to update GFWL to be congruent with the latest 360 update and whatever One changes were coming down the pipe was larger than the money to just EOL GFWL.

ArjanN

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II + Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising -- these are some kind of cluster-fuck, someone who knows better than me should explain the DRM situation

Dawn of War 2 and it's expansion Chaos Rising use GFWL.

The second Dawn of War 2 expansion Retribution was stand alone and uses steamworks.

Card Boy

Banned
I wonder if MS will ever apologize for shoving GFWL down our throats and setting back PC gaming. When was it last updated outside a bug fix? 2 years ago?

Nocturno999

Can't run Dark Souls nor SF IV AE. Both games crash a few seconds after pressing play.
My Arkham City file is gone; 55 hours gone to the toilet, oh and the game won't save anymore.

Edit: There was a problem with the Sign In Manager but I was able to recover my AC save and all games play fine. I only lost SFIV AE saves though.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Good fucking riddance, you useless pos!!
Fat-FSU-Guy-Celebration.gif

Gangxxter

Purchasable on Steam, but requires GFWL for activation, so will die if GFWL dies and are not patched
Bulletstorm
FUEL - Also uses SecuRom, fuck these guys
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

Those are the only games I care about. Hopefully they patch those. Especially FUEL because GFWL always kills my save games, have lost countless hours of progress already -.-
Btw, the GTA games also use SecuRom for activation.

At least there is a Xliveless mod for GTA.

I know it will never happen but I really hope From patches Dark Souls, it will a damn shame to lose it so soon, I know its a matter a time before they close the service as well.

for me the important questions are:
if i've NEVER run/installed a gfwl game that i redeemed/bought on steam, i won't be issued a valid gfwl key for that game after 22 august?
if i've run/installed the game at least one but i have not the game installed, will i be able to redownload AND PLAY it after 22th august?
if i've run/installed the game at least one and i have it installed on my pc, will i be able to PLAY it after 22th august?

Yes, that is correct.
Almost certainly false. While Arkham Asylum vanilla only asks for a valid key, the GotY edition requires you to register the key to an account, requiring an internet connection. The latter is true also with Dark Souls. After the initial check in, you can play both games offline, but if GfWL then you can't do that initial check in.

Almost certainly false. While Arkham Asylum vanilla only asks for a valid key, the GotY edition requires you to register the key to an account, requiring an internet connection. The latter is true also with Dark Souls. After the initial check in, you can play both games offline, but if GfWL then you can't do that initial check in.
I own the GotY edition, it is Securom that makes you register online. After that, you do not need to activate through GFWL if you do not wish to. Yes, the game will ask you to sign in and if you do so through a LIVE profile, you will be stuck. However, if you stick to an offline profile, you can play freely. I don't want to come across as a know it all, or whatever, but I do own nearly every GFWL game, I'm not just talking out of my arse. As I said, I played Arkham Asylum on an offline profile without activating through GFWL, I didn't imagine it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is patching out GFWL, going Steamworks:

Actual developer quotation:
“ITSP will continue to be available on Steam. In fact, soon it will be GFWL-free. Thank God!”

Sounds like he's really upset he's losing such a great service.

dEvAnGeL

so, is it confirmed that batman AC is free of this crap already? i haven't replay that game just to avoid the hustle of using that service again

I kinda feel bad for the small devs (published by Microsoft Studios) who were forced by contract to use GFWL (Insanely Twisted as far as I know, Double Fine with Iron Brigade confirmed they were forced). Hopefully they are getting some help moving that stuff over. At the very least it seems like they are free to remove it now if that Insanely Twisted stuff applies to other devs.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I kinda feel bad for the small devs (published by Microsoft Studios) who were forced by contract to use GFWL (Insanely Twisted as far as I know, Double Fine with Iron Brigade confirmed they were forced). Hopefully they are getting some help moving that stuff over. At the very least it seems like they are free to remove it now if that Insanely Twisted stuff applies to other devs.

I believe the Steam version of Iron Brigade lacks GFWL.

Melted77

I believe the Steam version of Iron Brigade lacks GFWL.

Unfortunately it does. I just loaded the Steam version to verify it and I couldn't even get past the first screen without logging into GFWL. Then it asks for the CD key which has limited installs so I passed. I had to alt-tab just to kill the program. SMH.

Grief.exe

When Noogy was porting Dust he said that GFWL was never even mentioned or forced upon him.

Of course, the policy could have changed in the past year with Microsoft knowing the service was ending.

When Noogy was porting Dust he said that GFWL was never even mentioned or forced upon him.

Of course, the policy could have changed in the past year with Microsoft knowing the service was ending.

I am pretty sure their policies changed (aka they gave up)

Iron Brigade PC requires Games for Windows Live, but I hates it! It burns! Why do you require GfWL? Why?!?

Iron Brigade PC uses Games for Windows Live at the request of our publisher, Microsoft. IB PC uses Games for Windows Live for matchmaking, achievements, friends lists, and rich presence. It also guarantees that fans of IB on the 360 will have a very similar experience on IB PC.

I poked around on the Steam forum and basically every time GFWL is brought up DFNathan makes sure to say "our publisher" somewhere in there. Of course who knows if Double Fine would take the time/money to remove and replace it right now.

JaseC

I poked around on the Steam forum and basically every time GFWL is brought up DFNathan makes sure to say "our publisher" somewhere in there. Of course who knows if Double Fine would take the time/money to remove and replace it right now.[

[Kickstarter joke]

But I just got a nicer computer and haven't bought Viva Pinata yet! D:

I assume activation will still work for the time being, so I can buy a disc copy and do that?

styl3s

Here here, uPlay is downright terrible. Just installed Origin for the first time yesterday - and it isn't tooooo bad. Still Steam > Desura > all the rest.
Yeah i haven't had any real issues with Origin, don't have a problem with it.

uPlay on the other hand has given me nothing but a goddamn headache since i installed and it's why i don't want to buy anything ubisoft.

So, "switching to a currency based service" is the new euphemism for "starting to put our shit service out of its misery"?

I love these excuses, reminds me of when they took down the original XBL service because it held back the current XBL and prevented them from having larger friend lists... which never happened.

The day they kill the service and some games can't be activated or lose their MP altogether is going to suck. I guess we'll still be able to crack them and people will develop some home servers for the popular but unpatched games (such as DS probably).

Ka1ciuM

Neo Member
Arh yes this will be my bday prezzie....no more silly GFWL so just waiting to see if my existing game will be updated....still got 2000 points but ill used that on Flashback & Turtles next week on my 360!

Valente

Neo Member
It would be nice if Microsoft added games like Gears of War & Viva Pinata to Steam. Those games are awesome on PC & deserve to live on. Hope all these publishers patch GFWL out of the rest of the OP's list or Valve steps in and does something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom