• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFWL marketplace purchases ending Aug 22, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

:lol Why? Dark Souls 2 is using Steamworks Oh noes, my first one doesn't work anymore? *yawn and play DS2 on Steam?*
Dark Souls is not the kind of game made completely irrelevant by a sequel, as going back to Demon's Souls readily proved to me.

Not that I feel that way about many games, but this is lower in that regard than something like CoD MP at least.

I hope that when they'll drop GFWL for good it will not break the games that use it already. I don't see many games patching it out except maybe for big IPs. Also, does GFWL is related to netcode ? I've had a few bad experiences related to netcode with SSFIVAE online, I'm wondering if it's related to GFWL.

What's funny is that you're quoting a conversation between Heavy and Grief and calling Grief the shill.

Do a google search for "neogaf heavy gfwl" and enjoy the corporate ball washing.

I'm trying to think of something nice to say about GFWL. I'll be back in a bit when I come up with something.

ahah I was going to say the same thing.

What exactly does that have to do with this thread and the specific comments in it? Are you saying Heavy is not entitled to post a positive opinion ever?

I did try your suggestion. I got a bunch of forum threads but nothing specific from "Heavy". May I please have a specific example?

And "corporate ball washing"? Really? That's your take on my post? That door swings both ways you know. Not a GFWL exclusive concept at all.

I only made a point about two posts in this thread, and only this thread; and we went what, 4 posts before the thing I was trying to point out reared its ugly head.

Grief does go overboard at times. That Indiana Jones gif exists for a reason.

And people HAVE said nice things about it and have been for a while now. You just do not want to believe that. But here is the one you see the most - Gamercard integration. If you do game on the 360 and PC, this is a nice thing.

No more purchases with points? Does your existing balance get converted? I still have unspent points and a card I never even registered! Like 4000+ points.... I have to dump them all on any old crap just so they are not wasted come Aug 22nd? :(

EDIT - Wait... I am hopefully not understanding... it's only GFWL stuff that can't be bought with MS points any longer, but XLBA titles are still ok with points?

No more purchases with points? Does your existing balance get converted? I still have unspent points and a card I never even registered! Like 4000+ points.... I have to dump them all on any old crap just so they are not wasted come Aug 22nd? :(

EDIT - Wait... I am hopefully not understanding... it's only GFWL stuff that can't be bought with MS points any longer, but XLBA titles are still ok with points?

GfWL stuff will no longer be available for sale, and your point balances will be converted into [insert your local currency here] for 360/Xbone/Win8Store/WinPhoneStore/Xbox Music/Xbox Film purposes.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What exactly does that have to do with this thread and the specific comments in it? Are you saying Heavy is not entitled to post a positive opinion ever?

He is as entitled as Grief.

I did try your suggestion. I got a bunch of forum threads but nothing specific from "Heavy". May I please have a specific example?

How about this post where he makes a point to catalog every person who has had a good experience with GFWL?

Or you can check out this link for yourself and see him either apologizing for Microsoft or hoping X game will include GFWL.

And people HAVE said nice things about it and have been for a while now. You just do not want to believe that. But here is the one you see the most - Gamercard integration. If you do game on the 360 and PC, this is a nice thing.

The way Grief posts can annoy me too sometimes, but he's entitled to post here and many people value his contributions. Your attempts at bullying him to shut him down is what's wrong headed, especially over something as trivial as insulting the honor of GFWL.

Neathyr

Anyone?

I've always had a couple of questions about this whole GFWL thing, so I might as well ask them here.

Suppose I want to buy Dark Souls at retail. I want to play the game completely offline and I have no intentions to go online, since the DLC is on the disc (or so I think...). Do I still need to worry about GFWL? I mean, does the game still needs any online activation of some sort? Same goes for Lost Planet: Extreme Condition and Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY.

Thanks in advance...

L.O.R.D

9510884981_837a3404d3_o.gif

how do you make like this gif ?

He is as entitled as Grief.

How about this post where he makes a point to catalog every person who has had a good experience with GFWL?

Or you can check out this link for yourself and see him either apologizing for Microsoft or hoping X game will include GFWL.

The way Grief posts can annoy me too sometimes, but he's entitled to post here and many people value his contributions. Your attempts at bullying him to shut him down is what's wrong headed, especially over something as trivial as insulting the honor of GFWL.
I'm not going to get into a big argument over GFWL but I'll make one post since you cited me like this. I don't see what's wrong with those posts. The claim about "wishing games will include GFWL" I found one post, about Street Fighter IV. You say it like it was many posts. And even so, why does it matter if I was hoping for SF4 to have it? So what? Why does that make me a corporate ball washer.

The other one you mentioned about compiling all those quotes, well 1st of all that was funny lol, 2nd I think it was a good post because at that time (2 years ago) there was a lot of debate about GFWL and I kept reading post after post by several very loud people how everyone was having problems with it and that it was the most horrible thing ever. I tried to refute that and I provided pretty damn good evidence just from two threads. I think that was a good post that was backed up well instead of just a blanket statement. I'm happy I made it.

The service is dead now so none of this matters in the end. If me being happy about it was bothersome to anyone or if I came off like a shill I'm sorry for that, it wasn't intentional and I not paid. I'm indifferent about Microsoft, don't like don't hate. Well that's it.

kadotsu

Banned
I have some Dirt 3,Arkham City DLC and Minerva's Den in addition to some $1 games like VivaPinata and AoEIII purchased on GFWL. About $25 in total. I hope to get some codes if the DD platform changes (Minerva's Den).

kuYuri

Spin up a Minigun on 30 FPS, compare that to 60 or 120, the wind up time is much slower the higher the framerate. Also, jumping up sloped surfaces is affected on higher framerates as well, the jump is shorter and twitchy.

Recoil and weapon bloom mechanics are totally broken as well, so the gunplay balance is broken unless you are on 30 FPS. Shooting a rifle, pistol or SMG is much easier on 60 FPS because there is nearly no recoil or bloom. The bloom reset and weapon recoil is tied to the frames of animation, tune that framerate up and it's broken.

I spend most of my time playing on 360, but on PC with high framerate I triple my stat line, destroying the vast majority of players because of the broken gunplay mechanics.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

If I recall, turning on Vsync caps the framerate to 30, so I guess if you want to play the way the game was designed, I guess there's always that.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Any positive thing on GFWL is automatically invalidated by random profile corruption, erased save games, horrendous patch system and being region locked (which has prevented me and many others of even having the option to buy the games).

You never had those issues? Good for you, but mind that GFWL is like walking on (very) thin ice.

And "corporate ball washing"? Really? That's your take on my post? That door swings both ways you know. Not a GFWL exclusive concept at all.

I only made a point about two posts in this thread, and only this thread; and we went what, 4 posts before the thing I was trying to point out reared its ugly head.

When the positives seem to be things like, Xbox Live Achievements are better than Steam achievements and it lets me send messages to my Xbox friends and the negatives are things like my saves are constantly corrupted or I can't sign into my profile with no explanation why or my game simple won't launch or I'm stuck in an endless update loop so I can never play my game, you'll find a more passionate group celebrating the platform's death.

GFWL, then Origin, then square enix store.

Uplay is fine

GFWL and Uplay are the only ones that have been hurdles between me and my games. Uplay even more so than GFWL. Origin, while yes, I would much rather have Mass Effect 3 on Steam, isn't that bad. I've only had 2 issues with Origin, and their live support sorted me out within minutes. EA has an edge on everyone in the DD space with their support. You're lucky if you even get a confirmation response from Valve within a week.

Shadowrun servers are still up. There is a small, but dedicated community that play the game. Section 8 uses GFWL, regardless of where you purchase. Same for the four "clarify" games.

If the GFWL servers were completely shut down, you would be able to play most of these games offline. GFWL titles rarely actually require activation.
Yes, you have to activate all of them online via GfWL. Not 100% on Lost Planet, but definitely 100% yes on the other two.
It's Securom that would prevent you from playing in the case of Arkham Asylum. On the GFWL side, you do not need to activate. Lost Planet doesn't require activation. As for Dark Souls, I want to say it doesn't either, but I never tried playing it offline. With both Arkham Asylum and Lost Planet, I played them on an offline profile (without activating) before binding them to my online one, so I know first hand.

Booshka

Interesting, thanks for the info.

If I recall, turning on Vsync caps the framerate to 30, so I guess if you want to play the way the game was designed, I guess there's always that.

Ya that's when I started noticing all the issues. I wanted to play 60 FPS with Vsync, when I realized that wasn't possible I started messing around with unlocking the framerate. That's where all the gameplay ramifications came in.

It's fun as hell to play with like 120 FPS on PC, but I feel like I am cheating because there is no recoil and the game is unfair against console players. So, I would rather just play on Xbox where I can chat with most of the people playing, and any of my friends that happen to be on as well.

Neathyr

If the GFWL servers were completely shut down, you would be able to play most of these games offline. GFWL titles rarely actually require activation.

It's Securom that would prevent you from playing in the case of Arkham Asylum. On the GFWL side, you do not need to activate. Lost Planet doesn't require activation. As for Dark Souls, I want to say it doesn't either, but I never tried playing it offline. With both Arkham Asylum and Lost Planet, I played them on an offline profile (without activating) before binding them to my online one, so I know first hand.

So even in the event of MS shutting down the GFWL service for good, I can still play them exclusively for single-player purposes? If so, that's all I wanted to hear (read). I really don't care about online multiplayer and achievements, nor do I want to trigger GFWL's online mode, so losing them is a non-issue.
Hopefully it works with physical versions too (DS' boxed version is like a CE!).

Booshka

So even in the event of MS shutting down the GFWL service for good, I can still play them exclusively for single-player purposes? If so, that's all I wanted to hear (read). I really don't care about online multiplayer and achievements, nor do I want to trigger GFWL's online mode, so losing them is a non-issue.
Hopefully it works with physical versions too (DS' boxed version is like a CE!).

Ya I am pretty sure you can play Dark Souls without having to be online, you just have to have an offline account. If you have an online account that you played Dark Souls with, then try to play offline, Saving will be disabled and your session is basically worthless. The only way to get around that is to have an always offline account that you play.

I know that almost all of the Dark Souls speedrunners set up Offline GFWL accounts so they dont have to worry about any online interruptions.

So did I. It never gave me problems and I loved how it was introduced to GTA IV. More achievements for me, and seeing my friends play on Xbox was a nice feature.

I didn't love how it made my GTAIV saves no longer work.

Or my Arkham Asylum saves for that matter, but at least I had beat that game already.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This makes the Halo games in the Steam registry make even more sense now. I hope I am still able to play Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet and Dark Souls after this occurs, I have not gotten to that game quite yet. Also maybe now we can get Gears of War and Viva Pinata on the Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
LOL, brain-stew. I remember his, uh, optimism, to put it very, very mildly.

Was his claim that he was asked by MS to seek advice on how GFWL should be improved mod-verified? Literally nothing came of that thread.

This makes the Halo games in the Steam registry make even more sense now. I hope I am still able to play Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet and Dark Souls after this occurs, I have not gotten to that game quite yet. Also maybe now we can get Gears of War and Viva Pinata on the Steam.

Yeah, this has been my assumption, too. Well, that or perhaps MS will just move them to the Win8 store... :p

Edit: It's just the Marketplace that's shutting down, not GFWL as a service -- existing GFWL games will continue to function as-is for the foreseeable future.

Yes, that is correct.
Ya I am pretty sure you can play Dark Souls without having to be online, you just have to have an offline account. If you have an online account that you played Dark Souls with, then try to play offline, Saving will be disabled and your session is basically worthless. The only way to get around that is to have an always offline account that you play.

I know that almost all of the Dark Souls speedrunners set up Offline GFWL accounts so they dont have to worry about any online interruptions.
You can save using a LIVE enabled profile offline. I booted it up a moment ago to make sure, as I wasn't certain whether Dark Souls had something different going on compared to the other GFWL games (which generally all allow saving offline with a LIVE profile). It doesn't. Saving is only disabled if you are not signed into any profile. There will be a pop up warning saying as much when you boot into the game.

by the way

in case any of you are having problems logging into the GFWL client

it's because you have to go to xbox.com in your browser, log in, and accept the new TOS

that's right

the gfwl client breaks when a new Xbox TOS comes out, and neither tells you there has been a TOS change nor gives you a link

that's the level of quality PC support we're "sadly" losing here

This is seriously embarrassing for a huge software company like Microsoft. Disgraceful.

ayob

soooo how will i be able to get the batman arkham city dlc once the store closes? i do plan on playing the dlc before origins comes out. should i just buy it now? or will a good steam sale just be better to wait for a rebuy the game on there?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
soooo how will i be able to get the batman arkham city dlc once the store closes? i do plan on playing the dlc before origins comes out. should i just buy it now? or will a good steam sale just be better to wait for a rebuy the game on there?

Wait for the GOTY edition to go on sale on STEAM. It has all the DLC and it'll be like seven bucks. Either way it'll be cheaper than buying individual DLC through the GFWLM which never has sales.

morningbus

I'm not going to get into a big argument over GFWL but I'll make one post since you cited me like this. I don't see what's wrong with those posts. The claim about "wishing games will include GFWL" I found one post, about Street Fighter IV. You say it like it was many posts. And even so, why does it matter if I was hoping for SF4 to have it? So what? Why does that make me a corporate ball washer.

The other one you mentioned about compiling all those quotes, well 1st of all that was funny lol, 2nd I think it was a good post because at that time (2 years ago) there was a lot of debate about GFWL and I kept reading post after post by several very loud people how everyone was having problems with it and that it was the most horrible thing ever. I tried to refute that and I provided pretty damn good evidence just from two threads. I think that was a good post that was backed up well instead of just a blanket statement. I'm happy I made it.

The service is dead now so none of this matters in the end. If me being happy about it was bothersome to anyone or if I came off like a shill I'm sorry for that, it wasn't intentional and I not paid. I'm indifferent about Microsoft, don't like don't hate. Well that's it.

An aside before I get into the crux of the conversation: Games you wished were GFWL: Street Fighter 4, Borderlands 2, Alan Wake, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, to name the ones easily discovered through Google.

This is besides the point. I've only included it so I at least give the appearance that I'm not pulling stuff directly out of my rear end.

Let me be pretty clear here: I dislike your opinion of GFWL and I dislike your shtick, but I have never and would never attempt to stop you from posting in an appropriate, relevant thread. You have as much right to your opinion as I do mine, no matter how unfounded I think yours is and no matter how much the repetition of "it works for me" grates me.

What TheWeaponeer dragged you into was a discussion about whether Grief has a right to suggest that your opinion is bizzaro-world-levels of wrong. TheWeaponeer suggested that Grief's routine of aimlessly bashing GFWL was getting old and that he shouldn't post anymore.

What I found funny, though, is that you are basically the mirror image of Grief when it comes to your posts in GFWL threads. What I found funny was that TheWeaponeer didn't see that your post and Grief's post were basically two sides to the same coin.

What I didn't find funny was that TheWeaponeer thought he had the authority to tell someone to shut up. I wouldn't have tolerated it if he had done the same to you, either. We might not like what we perceive to be ill-informed opinions, but we don't get to decide who should be allowed to say what.

An aside before I get into the crux of the conversation: Games you wished were GFWL: Street Fighter 4, Borderlands 2, Alan Wake, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, to name the ones easily discovered through Google.

This is besides the point. I've only included it so I at least give the appearance that I'm not pulling stuff directly out of my rear end.

Let me be pretty clear here: I dislike your opinion of GFWL and I dislike your shtick, but I have never and would never attempt to stop you from posting in an appropriate, relevant thread. You have as much right to your opinion as I do mine, no matter how unfounded I think yours is and no matter how much the repetition of "it works for me" grates me.

What TheWeaponeer dragged you into was a discussion about whether Grief has a right to suggest that your opinion is bizzaro-world-levels of wrong. TheWeaponeer suggested that Grief's routine of aimlessly bashing GFWL was getting old and that he shouldn't post anymore.

What I found funny, though, is that you are basically the mirror image of Grief when it comes to your posts in GFWL threads. What I found funny was that TheWeaponeer didn't see that your post and Grief's post were basically two sides to the same coin.

What I didn't find funny was that TheWeaponeer thought he had the authority to tell someone to shut up. I wouldn't have tolerated it if he had done the same to you, either. We might not like what we perceive to be ill-informed opinions, but we don't get to decide who should be allowed to say what.
These are harmless posts, they're like baby pandas:
Would've preferred GFWL here, or two versions to give us a choice; one Steamworks, one GFWL. I almost never use the Steamworks features for games and the achievements suck for Steam. If they add the Steam trading feature for the loot maybe it'll be worth it.
Wooo! I can't wait to try this. I'll be there on day 1 for the GFWL version assuming MS makes one, otherwise Steam is fine too.
There's no "wishing" in any way and they even mention Steam is fine. Completely harmless, innocuous posts. FYI, I've made a handful of GFWL-related posts, maybe like 20 ever. The majority of his entire post history is Steam-related, thousands of posts. I've made like 20, 30, something like that, out of the 14,000 posts I have. It's not a mirror image at all. That's all I'll say on this for real this time. *zip*

morningbus

Like, I don't expect you to respond or anything... but I linked the posts in question. You said I made it sound like you do it all the time and you yourself just admitted that 20 percent of your GFWL posts are wishes for games to include GFWL.

I won't touch upon the other point, but I'll say that, especially over the last two years, there have been a lot more opportunities to be outwardly pro-Steam than pro-GFWL, so if anything, it just shows you're both creatures of opportunity.

What about those of us who purchased Bioshock 1 and 2 at retail? My CE's (US Retail boxed copies) use xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx format so they do not register on steam. Are they going to allow us to or are we just screwed?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What about those of us who purchased Bioshock 1 and 2 at retail? My CE's (US Retail boxed copies) use xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx format so they do not register on steam. Are they going to allow us to or are we just screwed?

The Marketplace shutting down will not have an affect on the GFWL service. That said, 2K could make retail Bio/Bio2 keys Steam-friendly, but publishers rarely bother going the extra mile in this regard -- most recently, though, Sega did with Company of Heroes, bless its Aussie-taxing heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom