• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFWL marketplace purchases ending Aug 22, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Excellent. Now Uplay.

irHsKlCrDjXdj.png

Sad news all around, never had a problem with GFWL in however many years I've used it, I think around 3 or 4, it was my favorite service. I liked the interface, being able to send messages, pressing the home button on the 360 controller and having the overlay pop-up, not having to have a big client running in the background, the best achievements. Sigh, if MS had just put some more effort into it but Xbox Xbox Xbox. I get why they didn't but it still sucks. Maybe they'll try again in a couple years.

Neathyr

I've always had a couple of questions about this whole GFWL thing, so I might as well ask them here.

Suppose I want to buy Dark Souls at retail. I want to play the game completely offline and I have no intentions to go online, since the DLC is on the disc (or so I think...). Do I still need to worry about GFWL? I mean, does the game still needs any online activation of some sort? Same goes for Lost Planet: Extreme Condition and Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY.

Thanks in advance...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Does this make the Halo 3 on Steam rumors seem more or less likely? I don't really know how this stuff works.

Grief.exe

Sad news all around, never had a problem with GFWL in however many years I've used it, I think around 3 or 4, it was my favorite service. I liked the interface, being able to send messages, pressing the home button on the 360 controller and having the overlay pop-up, not having to have a big client running in the background, the best achievements.

I never thought I would see the day. I'm sorry, but literally everything you said is objectively wrong.

I don't even know where to start since you piled on so many things there.

ibbmMgPdOFk1NI.gif

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Only thing GFWL had over everyone else is that it has the best achivement system on PC :(. Steam achivements are so hit and miss and origin achivements are only in a few games that I haven't tried yet.

Gonna miss GFWL achievement system .

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sad news all around, never had a problem with GFWL in however many years I've used it, I think around 3 or 4, it was my favorite service. I liked the interface, being able to send messages, pressing the home button on the 360 controller and having the overlay pop-up, not having to have a big client running in the background, the best achievements. Sigh, if MS had just put some more effort into it but Xbox Xbox Xbox. I get why they didn't but it still sucks. Maybe they'll try again in a couple years.

There is a client running in the background and it is most likley using a similar amount of RAM to Steam.

29 mb for GFWL in the background for Dark Souls. 44 mb for Steam right now.

Magwik

Banned
Does this make the Halo 3 on Steam rumors seem more or less likely? I don't really know how this stuff works.

I'd say more considering Halo 2 runs off of GFWL and they keep delaying when they will shut down the servers for Halo 2 (not GFWL).

iNvid02

steam and origin use about 50-60mb when in the background, i reckon gfwl is about the same. the only odd on out here is uplay which cant be minimised lol

i liked the functionality it had with the 360 controller and the messaging too but thats about it. aint gonna miss it

kuYuri

Yea this was all 360 players. It's a pretty bad PC port to be honest, I think it's actually an emulation of the 360 game because some of the game mechanics break above 30 FPS. It was also designed for cross-platform play with M+KB and Controllers in the same game. They made some pretty obnoxious tweaks to M+KB controls to make it fair, so if you are flicking your mouse around very quickly you will have decreased accuracy. For M+KB players, this is blasphemous, handicapping one of the inherent benefits of the Mouse.

If there was a re-release, it should be PC only on Steam with none of the nonsense that was done to M+KB controls to balance for controllers. It should also be designed to run at 60 FPS.

Tied to Windows Vista, back when PC gamers had to pay for online with GFWL, overpriced, and a bad PC port that intentionally handicapped PC players so MS could market cross platform play. There is a reason it's a prime example of the failed GFWL experiment.

Underneath all the sludge of shitty business decisions it's a great game though. But, I still consider it a great console shooter and a bad PC port.

Can you explain how 60fps breaks the mechanics?

The couple times I used the service and it worked I was pretty happy with it, being able to tap into the Xbox "ecosystem" and interact with my friends without leaving the game and going to the desktop.

Shame the everything surrounding that concept was such a mess, still can't access my Steam copy of Arkham Asylum due to some GFWL error.

EDIT - I guess I must have taken advantage of that pennies sale too, didn't realize I had a couple games on the actual service. Weird that it keeps the demos you played/downloaded in your purchases too.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I knew immediately what the problem was today because the same thing happened to me before.

In 2010.

That's right, a login problem related to the GFWL client and Xbox TOS hasn't been fixed in almost three years.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, GFWL.

Jesus.

By the way, this is a good time to relive some of the good old days:

Why does GFWL "suck" and how can it be improved?

The end of Stump's post in particular is pretty good. Remind you of a certain upcoming product launch?

Grief.exe

Can you explain how 60fps breaks the mechanics?

Animations are calculated based on 30 frames instead of just in seconds.

When the frames go over 30 fps, the animations begin to break. It looks like you are going super speed if you go to >120fps.

I don't know if this applies specifically to this game, but it is common in other games.

Deadbeat

Banned
So I got 5 dollars left on live points. What is there worth buying on the gfwl store for 5 dollars? I got a 10 dollar code from trading to buy Minervas Den and I want to spend the other 5.

Is the Lancia Stratos pack for Dirt 3 worth money? I mean I dont know what to buy.

kuYuri

Animations are calculated based on 30 frames instead of just in seconds.

When the frames go over 30 fps, the animations begin to break. It looks like you are going super speed if you go to >120fps.

I don't know if this applies specifically to this game, but it is common in other games.

Makes sense.

To be fair, I've played quite a bit of Shadowrun on PC at 60fps and the high framerate never became a big problem for me in any meaningful way that I can think of. Maybe someone who plays more like Booshka might have better insight into that.

Grief.exe

So I got 5 dollars left on live points. What is there worth buying on the gfwl store for 5 dollars? I got a 10 dollar code from trading to buy Minervas Den and I want to spend the other 5.

Is the Lancia Stratos pack for Dirt 3 worth money? I mean I dont know what to buy.

You might as well wait until the 21st and see if they have any special offers.

No, you should still be able to log in like normal.

What's happening here is that they are shutting down the marketplace, so you won't be able to purchase any more games through there.

Okay
I thought that with the removal of the marketplace, we would no longer be able to log into these games until their reliance on GFWL is patched out.

I never thought I would see the day. I'm sorry, but literally everything you said is objectively wrong.

I don't even know where to start since you piled on so many things there.

With all due respect Grief, when you have EVER said a positive word about GFWL? You bash it any chance you get. Nothing he said was stated as fact. "IT WAS MY FAVORITE SERVICE" is an opinion and he explained it, but yet again you go negative nancy because it happens to be about GFWL.

Just stop already man. This act is so old now you can set your watch to it. As a long time GFWL user, you need to finally accept the fact that there are people out there who use GFWL with little to no issues and actually enjoy it.

Reallink

I have a boxed copy of Arkham City, does this mean it's useless after August 22nd? Won't be able to reinstall it?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
With all due respect Grief, when you have EVER said a positive word about GFWL? You bash it any chance you get. Nothing he said was stated as fact. "IT WAS MY FAVORITE SERVICE" is an opinion and he explained it, but yet again you go negative nancy because it happens to be about GFWL.

Just stop already man. This act is so old now you can set your watch to it. As a long time GFWL user, you need to finally accept the fact that there are people out there who use GFWL with little to no issues and actually enjoy it.

What's funny is that you're quoting a conversation between Heavy and Grief and calling Grief the shill.

Do a google search for "neogaf heavy gfwl" and enjoy the corporate ball washing.

Booshka

Makes sense.

To be fair, I've played quite a bit of Shadowrun on PC at 60fps and the high framerate never became a big problem for me in any meaningful way that I can think of. Maybe someone who plays more like Booshka might have better insight into that.

Spin up a Minigun on 30 FPS, compare that to 60 or 120, the wind up time is much slower the higher the framerate. Also, jumping up sloped surfaces is affected on higher framerates as well, the jump is shorter and twitchy.

Recoil and weapon bloom mechanics are totally broken as well, so the gunplay balance is broken unless you are on 30 FPS. Shooting a rifle, pistol or SMG is much easier on 60 FPS because there is nearly no recoil or bloom. The bloom reset and weapon recoil is tied to the frames of animation, tune that framerate up and it's broken.

I spend most of my time playing on 360, but on PC with high framerate I triple my stat line, destroying the vast majority of players because of the broken gunplay mechanics.

Nabs

I'm trying to think of something nice to say about GFWL. I'll be back in a bit when I come up with something.
What's funny is that you're quoting a conversation between Heavy and Grief and calling Grief the shill.

Do a google search for "neogaf heavy gfwl" and enjoy the corporate ball washing.

ahah I was going to say the same thing.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
1/10
Will not read again.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Being sad about the demise of GFWL is like eulogizing the closing of an asbestos mine.

"But it kept me warm and I never got cancer!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom