• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFWL marketplace purchases ending Aug 22, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So is something just as bad or even worse taking its place?

Give Microsoft a few years and its syphilitic brain will again think, "Hey, we own the PC world -- let's own the PC Gaming world by shotgunning money at people!"

I re-installed Bulletstorm yesterday, having not touched a GFWL game in ages, so my profile was not yet downloaded.

Bulletstorm starts up, demands I login using an online account and not a local one. Ok so I download my profile, when its done, it reports an update is needed for the game, and to restart the game when I can. Ok fair enough .... click to go to the main menu so I can quit the game, but wait, it says I need to login, so I login again, and again it says an update is required and to restart the game. Yup, cant play unless I kill it in task manager.

Fun times. Anyway, good riddance to a shoddy marketplace. Although I do wonder where Gears of War will go, its literally the only place to buy the PC version (they stopped making boxed copies years ago, at least in the UK).

ezodagrom

Good riddance.
It was fun when my live account was mistakenly locked due to spam that didn't happen and to have to wait for several weeks for them to unlock it, so during those weeks I couldn't play my GFWL games.

Oh, and of course thinking that I backed up my game saves before I formatted my PC several years ago, only to find out that GFWL is overly complicated when it comes to saves and there were more things that I needed to back-up, so goodbye saves...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I don't want to ever play the first game anymore? What kind f logic is this?

The kind of logic where the same damn game being able to be played on another service.

The only thing you lose is DS1's stats and "story." DS2 is looking to be set in nearly the same areas as the first one with a few exceptions. I wouldn't lose sleep over DS1 if it went away and DS2 is basically the same game + more.

Grief.exe

:lol Why? Dark Souls 2 is using Steamworks Oh noes, my first one doesn't work anymore? *yawn and play DS2 on Steam?*

Playing old games is one of the main reasons I love PC gaming so much. Infinite backwards compatibility.

Who is to say I won't want to go back and play Dark Souls next year? Or even in 10 years?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So viva pinata 1 and 2 will come out on steam?

Viva Pinata 2 doesn't have a PC port at all, so it is very unlikely.

Viva Pinata 1 is not on Steam and we have no evidence that they are planning to add it. If Microsoft chooses to release it on Steam, it will be available until the GFWL authentication servers go down. At which point it will cease to work without Microsoft patching out GFWL.

Purchasable on Steam, but requires GFWL for activation, so will die if GFWL dies and are not patched
Ms. Splosion Man

Looking at my games collection, I see there's an achievement page for this, but no actual list of achievements. So perhaps it will be patched eventually?

Also, I see Arkham Asylum now has Steam achievements. Don't know when that went up, but it's nice to have and point out.

The kind of logic where the same damn game being able to be played on another service.

The only thing you lose is DS1's stats and "story." DS2 is looking to be set in nearly the same areas as the first one with a few exceptions. I wouldn't lose sleep over DS1 if it went away and DS2 is basically the same game + more.

So, DS1 and DS2 are the same games but with slightly different settings and on different services? You're not serious, are you?

Gestault

WvJkhxA.png

A note on Blazblue Win 8: it's a massively cut-down version. I think there's only Arcade mode available. No multiplayer, no Story mode, no training mode etc.

Grief.exe

It is a point to notice that Microsoft has gotten very sneaky about their registry apps since the Halo leak, so who knows what they are working on.

Valve has really locked down the registry as well, there are hundreds of unknown apps being worked on constantly and there is no way to find out what they are anymore.

Looking at my games collection, I see there's an achievement page for this, but no actual list of achievements. So perhaps it will be patched eventually?

Also, I see Arkham Asylum now has Steam achievements. Don't know when that went up, but it's nice to have and point out.

Check out this thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619976

Details the changes and GFWL removal from Batman:AA/AC and Bioshock 2.

Gbraga

In other words, Capcom didn't have a choice with USF IV and Haunts got credit for nothing? Gather the angry mob

Bittercup

Purchasable on Steam, but requires GFWL for activation, so will die if GFWL dies and are not patched
Fallout 3 - Sequel doesn't use GFWL
Fallout 3 is (at least the retail version) DRM-free. There's no online activation and GfWL is only used in case you want to collect achievements. If you don't care you can just close the GfWL window and play without it and not even an offline profile is needed. And if you don't like the GfWL bar in the main menu you can disable it with a simple mod completely.

First shit post of the topic.

Anyway this news pretty much confirms that GFWL is defunct. I hope Microsoft keeps up the servers as long as possible though, most of these developers are not going to transition their games to Steam.

The only DLC I ever wanted from the GFWL store was Minerva's Den, but I never bothered because of the funny money scheme that I had to entail myself in to do it.

Grief.exe

I'm positive there have been Steam logos for games that didn't use Steamworks. It just meant they were available on the platform.

I'm not saying it's NOT happening. Just not celebrating yet.

In the past, the GFWL logo had to be present on all trailers and websites if the game was utilizing the system.

Go and watch various annoucnement trailers for the Batman games, Bioshock 2, SFIV, etc. They all had the GFWL logo at the bottom.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I just hope I can still play Fallout 3, Dark Souls and the other GFWL games I've got.

I guess my Gears of War disc will become a coaster (if it's not already.)

Cynar

In what ways is GFWL superior to Origin and Uplay if your primary concern is playing PC games? Show your work.

Unless of course you're taking GFWL as it exists right now -- a ghost town on the outskirts of Chernobyl, primed and ready to have a shitty horror movie made about it.

I'm mostly just stating my preference of gfwl over those services when I despise all three.

morningbus

I'm positive there have been Steam logos for games that didn't use Steamworks. It just meant they were available on the platform.

I'm not saying it's NOT happening. Just not celebrating yet.
Can you provide an instance where a developer has foregone a generic PC logo and instead used the Steam logo?

I'm mostly just stating my preference of gfwl over those services when I despise all three.
But what do you prefer, exactly?

Curufinwe

I actually liked getting Achievements on some of my PC games, but the process of purchasing and downloading Minerva's Den for the PC version of Bioshock 2 was a total nightmare so I'm glad the marketplace is being done away with.

The only DLC I ever wanted from the GFWL store was Minerva's Den, but I never bothered because of the funny money scheme that I had to entail myself in to do it.

You dodged a bullet.

I got Minerva's Den to download by uninstalling and then reinstalling the GFW client, even though the client froze and crashed sometime after the download completed. Then it wouldn't install, so I applied the KB938579-x86-ENU.exe hotfix for Windows XP and the install started, but then seemed to stop with the progress bar at 5%.

Even though the Installation progress bar never got higher than 5% before the GFW client froze and eventually crashed, the DLC somehow managed to get installed and I have played thru half of Minerva's Den already.

I don't think I'll ever spend MS points on the PC again, though. Three hours of fucking around just to play some DLC.

epmode

Fucking Microsoft. I knew they'd shut down the auth servers. I hope Namco works on patching Dark Souls even though I feel like they won't.

This is why I always whine about extra DRM layers even though I typically always have access to the internet. The problem is almost always on the other end.

morningbus

Fucking Microsoft. I knew they'd shut down the auth servers. I hope Namco works on patching Dark Souls even though I feel like they won't.

This is why I always whine about extra DRM layers even though I typically always have access to the internet. The problem is almost always on the other end.

The authentication servers aren't being shut down (yet). This is just about the marketplace.

Grief.exe

Will I be able to purchase Games for Windows Live games in other marketplaces now that Games for Windows Live titles are no longer available on Xbox.com?

Games for Windows Live titles published by Microsoft are no longer available for purchase from any marketplace. For other titles, please check directly with the title’s publishers.

So does this imply that titles like Fable III and Age of Empires Online will be completely removed from places like Steam?

No and there is even a fan-made patch that will remove GFWL entirely.

From what I understand, that just disables GFWL. You still need the Xlive.dll installation to run the game.

Cynar

Can you provide an instance where a developer has foregone a generic PC logo and instead used the Steam logo?

But what do you prefer, exactly?

Steam or no drm really. I thought it was obvious on gaf. :p I would LOVE if they stripped gfwl out of dark souls.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have Viva Piñata, AoE3 and Minerva's Den in my GFWL download list. As long as they let me redownload those indefinitely, I don't care what they do.

Bluth54

Of course we've pretty much known this has been coming for a while now, but it's nice to wake up and see Microsoft officially announce it.

morningbus

Steam or no drm really. I thought it was obvious on gaf. :p I would LOVE if they stripped gfwl out of dark souls.

I was asking why you prefer GFWL over Origin or Uplay. There all bad, but Origin and Uplay have never had the widespread problems of GFWL.

kuYuri

I re-installed Bulletstorm yesterday, having not touched a GFWL game in ages, so my profile was not yet downloaded.

Bulletstorm starts up, demands I login using an online account and not a local one. Ok so I download my profile, when its done, it reports an update is needed for the game, and to restart the game when I can. Ok fair enough .... click to go to the main menu so I can quit the game, but wait, it says I need to login, so I login again, and again it says an update is required and to restart the game. Yup, cant play unless I kill it in task manager.

Fun times. Anyway, good riddance to a shoddy marketplace. Although I do wonder where Gears of War will go, its literally the only place to buy the PC version (they stopped making boxed copies years ago, at least in the UK).

Bulletstorm itself has problems, I had trouble getting past the release date protection that it has, which I think has to do with some annoying DRM on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom