• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell |OT| I was born in the sea of information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

I recieved my Art of Ghost in the Shell book from Amazon yesterday. The book is gorgeous and it is going to help tide me over until the Blu-Ray releases. If there's one downside, it's that it doesn't feature many discarded visual concepts. It does a great job of showing how the film's visuals themselves were crafted, but I always want to see more of the concept stage stuff. I like to see the wide range of ideas that were considered before the final ideas were chosen.

rD4TGSq.jpg

Luckily a lot of that stuff has crept onto the internet from the artists themselves.

http://kotaku.com/the-incredible-art-of-the-ghost-in-the-shell-movie-1794015446

J_Viper

I actually enjoyed this.

The visuals are incredible. Definitely one of my favorite blockbusters from an aesthetic point of view.

The action was solid as well, though the final encounter was underwhelming. It was also made worse by the shots of the villain's dumb ass face as he was
piloting the spider tank
. Like, why did we need to see that? He was just a lame character all around.

I feel like it could've been edited a bit tighter too. Even at an hour-forty, there's still a good ten or so minutes that could've been cut without much harm to the already basic plot.

I'd certainly watch a sequel, though that seems unlikely.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just saw this. Really liked it visually speaking. Like really, really liked it.

The rest felt... ok. Kinda felt like they wanted to set this up as the beginning of a franchise, which is always sad in hindsight.

Poona

Ok, just saw this and I have next to no knowledge of Ghost in the Shell prior to this film, and now after seeing it I don't understand the controversy.

I thought beforehand the controversy was because Major was depicted as asian in the original story, and so it wasn't good that Scarlett played her as she isn't asian.

Thing is Major isn't even human. Before I saw film I thought the story was they were supposed to be some great asian fighter or something, but instead they're just like a robot so it doesn't really matter what they look like.

Anyway apart from all that I didn't think that much of the film. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't like it either. Maybe I need to rewatch it though as I hardly could follow what was going on a lot of the time.

I thought beforehand the controversy was because Major was depicted as asian in the original story, and so it wasn't good that Scarlett played her as she isn't asian.

Thing is Major isn't even human. Before I saw film I thought the story was they were supposed to be some great asian fighter or something, but instead they're just like a robot so it doesn't really matter what they look like.

You seem to have missed that
her brain was literally that of a young Japanese woman. So a Japanese woman was killed, then her brain was inserted into a white woman. The film could have done something interesting with this and talked about race. Instead it just makes that a "normal" story beat, which is exactly what whitewashing is.

KNT-Zero

Does anyone know whether if the original score is set to be released at some point? I loved the music...and I'm getting tired of Steve Aoki's remix :/

Kid Ying

Movie is good. Visually speaking its astounding. Storywise is okay. Sometimes Boring, but worth the ticket. Wont see It again though.

gafneo

Banned
After seeing this, I want every anime remade into live action. How is this making dirt at the box office while a movie called Boss Baby is making bank? People are walking air balloons of flatulent gasses.

Trokil

Banned
After seeing this, I want every anime remade into live action. How is this making dirt at the box office while a movie called Boss Baby is making bank? People are walking air balloons of flatulent gasses.

They also elected one, so this is just staying the course.

Mokujin

Movie gets too much undeserved hate, while it could have been better it still does quite a bit of things right. I would have liked a second movie with Tachikomas and Sectiion 9 in full force now that the 'origins' stuff is already dealt with, but seems that won't be happening.

Neat visuals, movie definitely looks good. The pacing of the movie is laughably bad. Second and third acts purposelessly drag on forever. Paper-thin plotting that sets up themes and does nothing with them. Ending is super unsatisfying.

Mediocre/10.

Buntabox

Does anyone know whether if the original score is set to be released at some point? I loved the music...and I'm getting tired of Steve Aoki's remix :/

Wondering the same thing. It's the one thing I liked about the movie, honestly. The Johnny Jewel tracks are pretty decent (despite having nothing to do with the flick.), but I want to hear Mansell's stuff isolated.

I recieved my Art of Ghost in the Shell book from Amazon yesterday. The book is gorgeous and it is going to help tide me over until the Blu-Ray releases. If there's one downside, it's that it doesn't feature many discarded visual concepts. It does a great job of showing how the film's visuals themselves were crafted, but I always want to see more of the concept stage stuff. I like to see the wide range of ideas that were considered before the final ideas were chosen.

rD4TGSq.jpg

Luckily a lot of that stuff has crept onto the internet from the artists themselves.

http://kotaku.com/the-incredible-art-of-the-ghost-in-the-shell-movie-1794015446

At this point I'm more interested in this book than the movie.

I'm more into the production and the design around the universe than the final movie.

SpyGuy239

Ok, just saw this and I have next to no knowledge of Ghost in the Shell prior to this film, and now after seeing it I don't understand the controversy.

Anyway apart from all that I didn't think that much of the film. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't like it either. Maybe I need to rewatch it though as I hardly could follow what was going on a lot of the time.

I honestly couldn't ca\re less. And I'm Asian. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

They should have gone full Hollywood with a lot more action instead of half assing it and replicating shot from the anime and mashing up different stories. It was a weak attempt at an adaptation that threw out most of what the original is about and relied on visuals.

Cheeks/10

a.wd

Was it good? Yeah,

Was it great? No

Did it have that same sense of existential dread and displacement that the original had? No

Did it do a good job of translating some of the originals messaging to a wider american audience who may not have been familiar with the original?

I think so.

Will I see it again? On Blue ray, in 4k with a couple of stiff drinks just enjoying the visuals.

Falchion

Saw it last night and I enjoyed it. I think a lot of people wanted to hate it going in because of the casting but I don't think it was bad at all.

Sorry if it's already been covered, but two questions:

• If I own all four Arise movies, along with the New Ghost in the Shell movie that concludes the Arise sub-series, would Alternative Architecture offer anything new, or is it the same content just stretched out into a TV series?
  • What's a good place to start with GiTS manga, and what are the recommended arcs or volumes to read? Just do volume 1 and follow normal order?

just watched it the day before after keeping myself in the dark since it's release. now, I'm not gona talk about the whole whitewashing deal since I'm not sure where I stand on it to tell the truth, but as cool as the visual of the movie is, I can't bring myself to like it. I was a manga, then anime GITS fan since the start and has been one for about 25 years now. this movie, even thou recreating some great scenes from the anime movie, just lack the substance. the original, both the manga and the anime movies and series, deals with a big list of issues with cybernetic enchantments, digital identities and the whole "am I real if all my memory is digital and can be recreated at will" thing. this movie turned the main point to one being "some big corporation stole my pass, turned me into a weapon, and now I'm going to seek the truth and revenge" BS. they can easily just reuse the original anime movie's story without even changing into this and still have great result. again, at least the visuals are cool.

ShutEye

Saw it last night and thought it was enjoyable. Was never going to be as good as the original anime, but a solid action sci fi from my perspective.

Occasional terrible dialogue though. Jeez that scene between cutter and oulet was atrocious (the first one)

Still recommend a viewing if you enjoy the series or cyberpunk in general

Sojgat

Sorry if it's already been covered, but two questions:

• If I own all four Arise movies, along with the New Ghost in the Shell movie that concludes the Arise sub-series, would Alternative Architecture offer anything new, or is it the same content just stretched out into a TV series?
  • What's a good place to start with the manga, and what are the recommended arcs or volumes to read?

You need to watch the last two episodes of Alternative Architecture. The Pyrophoric Cult storyline was made for the TV version and leads into the movie. The previous 8 episodes are just the OVAs reordered with content cut to fit the running time.

Not sure about the Arise Manga. Haven't read it.

You need to watch the last two episodes of Alternative Architecture. The Pyrophoric Cult storyline was made for the TV version and leads into the movie. The previous 8 episodes are just the OVAs reordered with content cut to fit the running time.

Not sure about the Arise Manga. Haven't read it.

Thanks. I'll track those episodes down. As for they manga, I wasn't referring to Arise, but the enitre series as a whole. Just begin at volume one and go from there?

karasu

The major is not a robot. She is a cyborg. She is a human in a mechanical shell.

Yeah, there are only three volumes of the Shirow manga. Definitely start with the first.

Thanks, will do.

The movie's "technology = bad/unnatural/attack on identity" stance, along with the Major being some super special , prized creation are both pretty massive betrayals to the source material. Completely derails the message and the topics that GiTS is supposed to convey and explore.

Sure was pretty though.

Z3M0G

As my first post on GAF in a few months (felt I needed a break), I would like to first post my thoughts on the GitS ramake. Sorry if this runs long, but I don't want to start on the wrong foot by creating a new thread... I'm going to try to keep this as focused as possible, but my thoughts are all over the place on this topic...

Sorry for any un-tagged spoilers. Please take warning.

First, I've been a fan of the original since I got my hands on it on VHS some time around 2000, I believe. I've watched it around 30 times, I'm thinking. I watched at least the first full season of SAC, maybe even the 2nd season. But I always preferred the original Movie. I was a huge Anime fan during my early 20's, and still watch some time to time, but look out for quality films rather than jumping into new series'.

I actually don't even think I knew about the Hollywood remake until the few weeks leading up to release... somehow I missed all the scandal. I'm glad, because I don't have strong feelings about that regardless. But I have been playing catchup, watching youtube videos, reading threads, etc... actually I've been quite obsessed with this movie for the past month or so.

I've always enjoyed the original Anime film, but I honestly barely understood it. The major themes went over my head for years, but most of all the step-by-step plot of the film was very difficult to follow. Section 6, the guy trying to defect, etc etc... I just watched it again a few days ago, and can't imagine getting my girlfriend, or my parents, close friends, etc to actually sit down and watch something like that. They'd probably down right HATE it, and be angry at me for making them watch something like that. I'm also love the GitS2: Innocence film, but until recently only had a subtitled version so that was challenging to absorb as well. I just got a dub version of it which I watched this weekend, and that is a film that is much easier to watch and take in, IMO.

Now we are at the remake. I spent weeks leading up to release watching and rewatching the 5 minute / 10 minute scenes that they released of the film. Saw an early release of the shelling sequence as well. I was super excited. I started to read negative impressions, so kept my expectations in check when I watched it. First impression was disappointment that the original music was NOT used during the shelling sequence, and that kinda threw me off for a while. I was too focused on the scenes they reproduced from the original. Some were amazing, going by memory of the original. The tank battle was a bit disappointing. Overall I was happy with simplified plot. It was a good Origin Story, which I feel is what Hollywood needed it to be. Something relatable with a general audience. My girlfriend really enjoyed it, and it came up in conversation for 2 days after watching it.

After watching it I went even DEEPER into searching Youtube for videos, reading impressions and reviews, watching for listings of the Blu-Ray (3D finally appeared on Amazon.com, but I want it on Amazon.ca!)... I couldn't get it out of my head. For the strangest of reasons... I found myself in a "defense mode", trying to find other people who also enjoyed it for what it was.

I went to see it a 2nd time and told myself to pay more attention to the musical score, which many people praised and somehow got past me the first time, and take in the visuals again. I enjoyed the movie even more the 2nd time. I found some scenes that bothered me the 1st time flowed more natural during the 2nd viewing. (Except that first scene with Cutter which will always suck lol).

Now... for some of my own views of the movie which allow the casting and certain story elements to "work", where it does not for so many people...

- Did they ever say this was Japan? Much like how China took over the world in Bladerunner, this feels like a mixed-culture future where "who is what race" has little to no importance. It is a mix of everyone everywhere. Some people were upset that Major wasn't "Japanese" since the film was still set in Japan, but is it for sure? What if it isn't?

- The mom doesn't act very Japanese, where she gives a hug and such. "No Japanese mother would do that", or so I've read. Easy to say this is for the benefit of American audiences, but what if there is more to it than that? What generation is she? What if cultural practices have changed in this multi-cultural mixing-pot that this story exists in?

Anyways... I really can't wait to get my hands on the (3D!!) Blu-Ray, so I can watch this to my leisure. :)

EVO

Saw this a few days ago. As someone that barely remembers the anime, I thought it was pretty good, especially the title sequence and geisha scene. Too bad it didn't keep up that pace for the rest of the film.

For those holding out for 3D Blu-Ray, it is finally listed on Target as well for a reasonable price:

http://goto.target.com/c/118662/819...-shell-3d-blu-ray-dvd-digital-hd/-/A-52482008

Fingers still crossed for Canada...

BestBuy.com has that kick-ass steelbook for the 4K:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ghost-i...y-only--best-buy-2017/5803306.p?skuId=5803306

Hope Best Buy Canada gets that 4k Steelbook. Edit: They have the Steelbook listed on .ca

I do wonder how much longer we will see 3D blu rays being released. If the market is only people who previously owned a 3D tv or have bought a 3D projector I imagine it's pretty small.

Elandyll

Banned
Don't really know what problem the larger audience has with the movie, as it's a pretty decent hollywood actioneer, and with terriffic visuals. The trailers and marketing campaign were awful though, so that's probably that.

I actually don't think the supposed "white washing" is an issue, but the movie is itself far from perfect, and I have my own issues with it.

1- The whole "I am Major" thing is trite and contrieved, they should have just went for a "Major Killian", or "Mira". It would both sound better and allow to relate better to the character
when it's all revealed to be a lie. I did appreciate keeping her actual name though in the fan service twist.

2- Even though my wife said it made sense to her and was probably easier to digest in a 2h Hollywood movie for a larger audience, my big issue with the film is its swap of the central core idea for both the Puppet master (Kuze in the film) and Mira, as the original film was
juxtaposing the evolution of Motoko, whose body had become less human, questionning if eventually she would even lose her ghost and what makes her human, vs The Puppet Master who is an AI who ended up with a sense of consciousness and even possibly a ghost, getting closer to being human. It's all been replaced by a straight corporate conspiracy by a company and its ceo to make loads of money with a test "living weapon."

3- I dislike that they completely changed the Major's core driving force, as originally she is portrayed as a strong non emotion driven badass,
who made the -choice- of getting nearly entirely cybered at the possible cost of her humanity/ ghost, in order to be more efficient. Here, Johanson portrays a victim of corporate greed who ends up driven by her memories and emotions.
I really resent the victimization of Kusanagi, far more than the alleged "white washing" which makes no sense here in context (artificial body in a cosmopolite international city, where it's not a stretch to think Johanson would be a popular model pick as far as appearance goes).

Zoe

3-
far more than the alleged "white washing" which makes no sense here in context (artificial body in a cosmopolite international city, where it's not a stretch to think Johanson would be a popular model pick as far as appearance goes).

But
people don't body hop in the movie universe.

Jake.

finally saw it. i first saw the GITS anime when i was about 13 (i'm almost 30 now), and have seen a few random SAC episodes.

it was far from perfect, but way better than i expected. almost laughed at the tachikoma being called 'spider tank'.

Tom_Cody

finally saw it. i first saw the GITS anime when i was about 13 (i'm almost 30 now), and have seen a few random SAC episodes.

it was far from perfect, but way better than i expected. almost laughed at the tachikoma being called 'spider tank'.
That actually was a spider-tank and not a tachikoma. That sequence was a pretty direct depiction of the Major vs Spider-tank fight at the end of the first film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKdGc9bomRI

eyIGtBD.jpg

3D Blu-Ray is listed on Walmart.com as a "Walmart Exclusive"... not sure what that's all about... since it is listed at Target as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ghost-in-the-Shell-3D-Blu-ray-Blu-ray-Walmart-Exclusive/55765777

Still no love yet for Canada...

Update: Price was slashed on amazon.com down to $30 usd

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYW93C2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Ugh, I wish there was a bundle that included the 4K UHD and the 3D Blu-ray. I don't normally buy 3D Blu-rays, but the 3D in this movie was actually done really well.

Z3M0G

Ugh, I wish there was a bundle that included the 4K UHD and the 3D Blu-ray. I don't normally buy 3D Blu-rays, but the 3D in this movie was actually done really well.

Yah that would be my dream as well... I would like this to be my first 4K purchase, even if I won't own a 4K TV for many years to come...

So I guess it makes sense to just get 3D for now, I'm sure the 4K will be $10 or less by the time I get a 4K set.

Yah that would be my dream as well... I would like this to be my first 4K purchase, even if I won't own a 4K TV for many years to come...

So I guess it makes sense to just get 3D for now, I'm sure the 4K will be $10 or less by the time I get a 4K set.

I don't have a 4K TV yet either, but I want to start building up my collection for when I do get one. I've been trying to convince my girl that we need a new TV, but she's the responsible one :p

So yeah, I'll probably do the same thing as you and just get the 3D Bluray for now.

Z3M0G

CANADA 3D FUCKING FINALLY

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ghost-...3d-blu-ray-digital-hd-bilingual/6000196965404

---------------

VFX before/after breakdown reel. (SPOILERS) And more ammo for the fact that we need the fucking soundtrack released, hot damn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_psmEfw3bg

Super excited for home release! I hope the disk has some decent special features, but I'm betting it will all be stuff that is already on Youtube...

Edit: not sure how I feel about this lol

A1klRhV5FML._SX385_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYW93C2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom