• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell |OT| I was born in the sea of information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Remake? There was a remake?

There was a remaster. Cleaned up the visuals and inserted CG in spots. I still prefer the original version since the new CG was jarring when they released the blu-ray, and even moreso now that it hasn't aged well.

ActWan

If i'll get tickets for tomorrow then I'll go. Else, it's Friday probably.
Pretty hyped, the setting seems awesome and I love Scarlett.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
lmfao

Like, I'm not here to deny anyone of their cyberpunk cyborg revenge plot films starring ScarJo but you didn't need to drag GITS' name through the mud to make it.

It's really a shame, you know, because there's all these great adaptations popping up like Arrival, American Gods, The Martian, Game of Thrones (lul) and then there's this...

There was a remaster. Cleaned up the visuals and inserted CG in spots. I still prefer the original version since the new CG was jarring when they released the blu-ray, and even moreso now that it hasn't aged well.

Oh yeah, that. I don't think I ever bothered with that version.

duckroll

edit: Read the rest of the tweets and cutting out Togusa is the least of this film's problems. I'm still gonna watch it but these spoilers confirm what I expected.

Only Chin Han matters to me. He was always going to be the only reason I had to watch this. :(

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Oh yeah, that. I don't think I ever bothered with that version.

You missed out on nothing. I caught myself accidentally watching it on Hulu once because it was called Ghost in the Shell 2.0 and I thought it was another name for Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.

I'll probably end up seeing this in theaters no matter what. Worse case scenario this is another Aeon Flux and I fall asleep.

duckroll

Seems a bit naive to expect much of him at all but yeah this sucks all the same.

Why? Togusa is practically a main character in the majority of Ghost in the Shell stories. He is the lead in Innocence, not the Major. He carries like a third of the episodes in SAC too. It's a huge role.

Shy

*Sigh* Yep.
Like, I'm not here to deny anyone of their cyberpunk cyborg revenge plot films starring ScarJo but you didn't need to drag GITS' name through the mud to make it.

It's really a shame, you know, because there's all these great adaptations popping up like Arrival, American Gods, The Martian, Game of Thrones (lul) and then there's this...
This is pretty much how i feel.
Why? Togusa is practically a main character in the majority of Ghost in the Shell stories. He is the lead in Innocence, not the Major. He carries like a third of the episodes in SAC too. It's a huge role.
He's also one of the mains in Solid State Society.

Unfortunately in this film he is only in a few scenes.

Moonkid

Based on how they've marketed the film it seemed like a safe bet that Section 9 barring Mira and Batou would get shafted with the exception of Aramaki because Kitano's playing him. Not to mention they don't really seem to care for the source material.

Shy

Based on how they've marketed the film it seemed like a safe bet that Section 9 barring Mira and Batou would get shafted with the exception of Aramaki because Kitano's playing him. Not to mention they don't really seem to care for the source material.
That's what happened.

Plus he's the Chief-in-waiting, according to (I think it was?) Arise - which I loved and don't get the hate for.

No idea what to make of this project, but ... Will see

Well this was shit-tactic.

What I found very odd was that Scarlet kept walking like Elaine's coworker in Seinfeld that would never swing her arms lol.

Come on guys give me at least something to be excited about......

I'm usually not as picky as most gaffers when it comes to films so I hope I still enjoy it overall.

shira

never swing her arms lol.
pick your poison
lmhlNCY.gif

Sorry.

Didn't mean to come ruin it for you.
It's cool you can totally have your opinions, but how are visuals and setting? Is the action good and fun to watch? These are the main things I'm looking forward to. I definitely never expected it to come close to the original film or series in terms of story or characters.

Agreed.

Not to invalidate their opinion, but I think certain complaints read as overtly nitpicky.

Agreed.

Some people just want to HATE this movie. I'm going in with an open mind and realize that they pulled from different source material instead of it being a remake.

Nerds are so hard to please.

duckroll

Agreed.

Some people just want to HATE this movie. I'm going in with an open mind and realize that they pulled from different source material instead of it being a remake.

Yes it must be the nerds, it can't possibly be that it's just a shit film. ~OPEN MINDED~

Yes it must be the nerds, it can't possibly be that it's just a shit film. ~OPEN MINDED~

Are you kidding?

From day one it's like people have been expecting this film to fail.

I'm a huge fan of the original, was one of the first anime I ever watched as a kid, along with Cowboy Bebop. I realize it was going to struggle as a Hollywood film, but fanboys have such a high standard when it comes to wanting everything to be on point from the source material. That was never going to happen and is reaching.

But whatever, I'll go in and watch it Thursday and just expect some amazing set pieces and enjoy a Clint Mansell soundtrack.

hirokazu

Well yeah, I watched this earlier and gosh, it didn't seem like anyone in the movie cared about what they were doing in the movie. And it was really hard to care for any of the characters, the stakes, or whatever the heck is going on either.

If you say so. I went in not knowing what to expect, but I genuinely want to enjoy the movies I go to see. Visually, it was quite good, though a lot of the look was borrowed from the 1995 film and Innocence, as we know. But sorry, the movie just isn't very good.

Scarjo was pretty, pretty bad as the Major. You could say, stiff. Like a robot.

duckroll

Are you kidding?

From day one it's like people have been expecting this film to fail.

I'm a huge fan of the original, was one of the first anime I ever watched as a kid, along with Cowboy Bebop. I realize it was going to struggle as a Hollywood film, but fanboys have such a high standard when it comes to wanting everything to be on point from the source material. That was never going to happen and is reaching.

But whatever, I'll go in and watch it Thursday and just expect some amazing set pieces and enjoy a Clint Mansell soundtrack.

That sounds very open minded. Totally unbiased. Yes it must be these "fanboys" who are out to get the film, there is absolutely zero probability that this post is from a fanboy desperately trying to defend a film they haven't seen and downplay all negativity as a hate campaign. #SaveDCFilms

That sounds very open minded. Totally unbiased. Yes it must be these "fanboys" who are out to get the film, there is absolutely zero probability that this post is from a fanboy desperately trying to defend a film they haven't seen and downplay all negativity as a hate campaign. #SaveDCFilms

I'm out. Enjoy the film.

duckroll

I'm out. Enjoy the film.

Out of what? Cheap reductive retorts? Are you sure you don't want to start a Twitter campaign? Maybe a petition against critics who are unfairly panning it? I mean geez, at least contribute with actual opinions on the film after you see it if you care so much. Calling people who dislike the film fanboys is just sad.

hirokazu

Well this was shit-tactic.

What I found very odd was that Scarlet kept walking like Elaine's coworker in Seinfeld that would never swing her arms lol.
I wonder what kind of research she did on the role to think she should walk like that. Or if it was the director's decision... Just... why...

Chumley

Banned
Out of what? Cheap reductive retorts? Are you sure you don't want to start a Twitter campaign? Maybe a petition against critics who are unfairly panning it? I mean geez, at least contribute with actual opinions on the film after you see it if you care so much. Calling people who dislike the film fanboys is just sad.

Considering people who have liked what they've seen leading up to release are being called idiots and racists on this very forum, I can't blame him for his reaction.

He also has a point referring to fanboys in the pejorative here, remakes and reboots of beloved properties are always the films that attract the most negative and vitriolic conversations before a movie has even come out. When one side has a fan who doesn't even want the film to happen and refuses to think about an adaptation from a different perspective, and the other side has someone who is intrigued by the trailers and promotion for said adaptation and hasn't seen the source material, there is no conversation that can happen. None. Similar things happen in the ASoIaF threads. I often dislike Game of Thrones for almost every deviation it's made from the books, but can I appreciate that it's doing its own thing and streamlining the material for a broad appeal purpose? Yes. I get why it happened this way, and I enjoy the show as something that basically has almost nothing in common with what I know in the books.

hirokazu

So is the shelling sequence they showed months ago in the movie or not? Just with different music?
Is this an open spoilers thread?

The shelling sequence
is there, but it's abridged, not the whole sequence they showed at the Tokyo event, and set to different music that hints at the original music from time to time.

Yes, Motoko, Batou and Togusa are the three 'mains' of GITS.

But we all know that this story is about the Major and her past, the rest is extraneous.

jett

D-Member
Is this an open spoilers thread?

The shelling sequence is there, but it's abridged, and with different music.

giphy.gif

It was pretty much perfect the way they had it originally. It's starting to feel like execs started meddling.

Forkball

So far all the answers to, "Should I see this movie?" are "I DUNNO.... I GUESS"

I haven't been to the IMAX since Rogue One, I wanna see something cool.

hirokazu

What!? So its starting to look like Paramount edited this movie down to the bare essentials. That fucking blows.
I don't know, maybe the full sequence was never intended to be used in the film?

Will wait for the Chin Han Cut on BD.
Did he have a larger role in the movie originally but had most of his scenes cut? Well I'm pretty sure Saito
never showed up until he was instructed to shoot down a chopper in the final act. It's possible he was just there in some Section 9 scenes though I don't recall. Certainly never mentioned by name until that point.

Trokil

Banned

This movie has to fail, not even because of the quality of the movie. Just like for the same people Ghostbusters had to succeed and that was a real Train wreck.

Ran rp

Every 30 minutes or so, somebody turns to the camera – as if they’ve just momentarily remembered they’re remaking Ghost in the Shell – and says something like: “Memories, fantasies: what’s the difference?” or “Your ghost – your soul – is still you.”

"You know, Major, we really are Ghosts in a Shell."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom