• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon : Wildlands Open Beta Impressions.

KORNdoggy

honestly, after playing sniper elite 4, i don't really feel like i need to buy this. the game is open world, but the world, much like in MGSV doesn't really serve any purpose. the objectives are almost all centralized to small locations so there is only so much outer area a person needs in regards to freedom of approach, after all, you're not going to snipe people from a mountain 1000 miles away. the same was true for MGSV, the open world was redundant because the objectives were fixed. so the rest of the gigantic world goes unused and only serves as a means to piss you off/bore you to death as you drive/ride/fly your way from point A to point B.

now combine that to the repetitive mission structure, poor shooting. poor cover system. the almost broken vehicle handling and lacklustre visuals. and i'm honestly not sure what i'm supposed to be getting excited about?

EDIT: also, does anyone find the fact you can silence every weapon a little OP? you can just sit on a hill and take out every enemy with zero consequences. AI doesn't seem to notice their mates dying unless they're stood right next to them, and you're shooting without making a single sound. it feels like playing with invisibility mode on...like cheating.

Tovarisc

Waypoint is in area where you can find this bad boy.
grw_2017_02_24_15_26_pnjq9.png

grw_2017_02_24_15_27_pnjsp.png

Edit:
honestly, after playing sniper elite 4, i don't really feel like i need to buy this. the game is open world, but the world, much like in MGSV doesn't really serve any purpose. the objectives are almost all centralized to small locations so there is only so much outer area a person needs in regards to freedom of approach, after all, you're not going to snipe people from a mountain 1000 miles away. the same was true for MGSV, the open world was redundant because the objectives were fixed. so the rest of the gigantic world goes unused and only serves as a means to piss you off/bore you to death as you drive/ride/fly your way from point A to point B.

now combine that to the repetitive mission structure, poor shooting. poor cover system. the almost broken vehicle handling and lacklustre visuals. and i'm honestly not sure what i'm supposed to be getting excited about?

Doesn't this all apply to every single open or semi open world game out there, fully or partly? Even much praised GTA franchise is guilty of this design, biiig time.

KORNdoggy

Waypoint is in area where you can find this bad boy.

Edit:

Doesn't this all apply to every single open or semi open world game out there, fully or partly? Even much praised GTA franchise is guilty of this design, biiig time.

yes, to varying extents. far cry and just cause being some of the bigger offenders. but GTA's world isn't anywhere near as large as this, nor is it nearly as empty. i don't mind travelling in games if there is adequate amounts of things fighting for my attention on the journey. but ghost recon is just...well, nothing. stopping off to pick up an oil barrel isn't exactly filling the world with interesting things to do. and if there isn't much in the way of activities beyond that of the main objectives. i have to raise the question. why is it open world in the first place?

i mean, i assume you can see the difference in open worlds between something like GTAV and say, la noire or mafia 2?

Tovarisc

i mean, i assume you can see the difference in open worlds between something like GTAV and say, la noire or mafia 2?

In my opinion GTAV's open world is very bland and dead outside of running from mission to mission, just like in LA Noire or Mafia 2, even Mafia 3 is somewhat victim of this. There really isn't anything interesting to see nor do outside of missions, if you aren't hunting screenshot moments. Same can be said about WL, but for me major hook here is how solid gameplay is in those missions. Responsive character and gun control, gadgets, a lot approaches to most of missions etc.

Mafia 2 and 3 were saved by their setting for me, 3 also has excellent gunplay. Feedback is brutal. GTAV? Ehhh... I have tried 3 times now and there is zero hooks to play it.

KORNdoggy

Responsive character and gun control

except it doesn't have this unless you're standards of shooter are incredibly low.

and just because you can't see there are activities to take part in outside of the main missions of GTA, doesn't mean there aren't any. compare that to mafia 2 and la noire where there actually, factually, aren't any. THAT is the difference. and that's where ghost recon seem to fall, and without it makes for an incredibly pointless open world. it exist's simply to separate one base from another, not because it benefits the game, world or design at all. and when that happens i just lose interest. it could have literally been a series of semi-open missions separated by load screens and it wouldn't have been any different except we'd have saved hours of tedious travelling back and fourth.

Did the first mission & it takes so, so long, long to extract back to the base even with the chopper & then I have to trek all the way out there to Investigate?

NOPE.

If I want to drive cars around, I have FH3, btw.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Played for a few hours and quite enjoyed the gunplay, nothing to write home about but fun non the less. The driving cars/etc. is serviceable and I found flying a plane better than flying a heli.

After a few hours the missions where already starting to feel repetitive, if you having fun carrying them out that's not necessary a bad thing. It doesn't have the variation that GTAV has but I wouldn't expect it too with the quality of the super serious writing in WL.

The NPC AI is non existent, it's like the they are in some sort of battery saving Matrix Mode or something. Also Bolivia has a lot of helicopters, which is lucky 'cos it's a boring ass slog getting anywhere, avoiding robot NPCs walking across the road.

It feels like it's open world so it can say it's open world. I'll not be buying at launch but may pick it up at a later date.

Tecnniqe

Banned
yes, to varying extents. far cry and just cause being some of the bigger offenders. but GTA's world isn't anywhere near as large as this, nor is it nearly as empty. i don't mind travelling in games if there is adequate amounts of things fighting for my attention on the journey. but ghost recon is just...well, nothing. stopping off to pick up an oil barrel isn't exactly filling the world with interesting things to do. and if there isn't much in the way of activities beyond that of the main objectives. i have to raise the question. why is it open world in the first place?

except it doesn't have this unless you're standards of shooter are incredibly low.

and just because you can't see there are activities to take part in outside of the main missions of GTA, doesn't mean there aren't any. compare that to mafia 2 and la noire where there actually, factually, aren't any. THAT is the difference. and that's where ghost recon seem to fall, and without it makes for an incredibly pointless open world. it exist's simply to separate one base from another, not because it benefits the game, world or design at all. and when that happens i just lose interest. it could have literally been a series of semi-open missions separated by load screens and it wouldn't have been any different except we'd have saved hours of tedious travelling back and fourth.

Nah dude, its weird how everyone compare the open world games to GTAV when out of all those games WD2 is the superior in every way when it comes to a alive feeling world.

GTAV content is soso and its one of my most beloved. The story is great but there is no replayability in that game, it all plays out the exact same scripted way, and online is flawed too with its scripted enemies and police chase etc etc where the online part hugely suffers from poor design all based around more and more expensive items and less and less ways to increase your income unless you find a empty lobby to grind all day, all the more reason for players to buy shark cards.

My base for any third person shooter/cover is Gears of War. They've perfected the formula. While this is not 100% the same as cover is optional you're joking yourself if you call this unresponsive. It is very much responsive gunplay.

Tovarisc

Or your standards for 3rd person shooters are so insanely unrealistic that no game in existence can meet them, now or in future. In WL you can double tap kill multiple enemies in few seconds when you position well, readied aka shouldered weapon fires instantly upon LMB click, dynamic cover system while being tad iffy makes moving around fluid as you don't get stickied etc. They even fixed 3rd person aiming red dot, not properly indicates if your barrel line to target is blocked or not.

Also semi fire is way to go if you want that accuracy, like one would expect.

I wonder if people complaining about weapon handling / gunplay don't shoulder their rifle and then complain that there is big delay because before firing the rifle character has to rise the rifle? WL is mix on authenticity and arcade which is little weird.

So kinda... explain why WL's gunplay and character controls are garbage? This is light years ahead of R* stuff like GTAV that is pure arcade, but even then not that fun to control with KB/M, imo.

Going to bowling with your long lost cousin in GTA is kinda side activity sure, but holy shit if it isn't pointless and boring. It doesn't really mean nor matter in the game. Maybe in case of GTAV I didn't find any of those meaningful side activities while main story didn't hook. If gameplay was better I would have stuck with it.

I like the world. It's there to be admired, to exist and to give a backdrop to the nonsense. It's cool creeping through jungle and bushes, or looking at the view, tbh.

Played for a few hours and quite enjoyed the gunplay, nothing to write home about but fun non the less. The driving cars/etc. is serviceable and I found flying a plane better than flying a heli.

After a few hours the missions where already starting to feel repetitive, if you having fun carrying them out that's not necessary a bad thing. It doesn't have the variation that GTAV has but I wouldn't expect it too with the quality of the super serious writing in WL.

The NPC AI is non existent, it's like the they are in some sort of battery saving Matrix Mode or something. Also Bolivia has a lot of helicopters, which is lucky 'cos it's a boring ass slog getting anywhere, avoiding robot NPCs walking across the road.

It feels like it's open world so it can say it's open world. I'll not be buying at launch but may pick it up at a later date.

This is pretty much my view too. It's alright, but a lot of the time I feel like I'm just going through the motions to collect the next collectable.
I think it could be a lot of fun with friends though.

The worst part is the terrible vehicle controls, especially since you need to drive to get anywhere.
I have no idea how they managed to make the helicopter controls so bad. It seems to randomly decide whether pushing forward/R2 will pitch forwards, fly straight up - or somehow decide to fly backwards.
Trying to use it in combat is just ridiculous, though it probably has to be awful controls since flying around a base in a helicopter would be god mode if you could aim the guns properly.

EDIT: Actually the writing is the worst bit. Cringingly edgy attempts to be a hardcore military thriller. It's like a young teenager's attempt at writing a Tom Clancy novel.

"So that's why you smell like ass" kinda knew this game would suck right then and there. It's not bad by any means, just dull and janky as hell.

Profanity

"So that's why you smell like ass" kinda knew this game would suck right then and there. It's not bad by any means, just dull and janky as hell.

That and the 'joke' one of your teammates tells you in the pickup was enough to instantly put me off the writing.

Combine that with the frankly embarrassing facial animations, and you have quite the thematic package.

I played a few hours last night. The more I played the more I enjoyed it but it doesnt feel like a full priced game IMO. My quick and dirty impressions

-The controls are a bit awkward, constantly changing your shooting shoulder every time you go into cover is annoying as fuck.

-The overworld is nice looking but feels a bit barren.

-I didnt have an issue with cars that others had, but they do take some getting used to

-Helo controls...terrible.

There is some tactical fun to be had here; sneaking into bases and such is the closest it gets to Ghost Recons of old but both the friendly and enemy AI is brainless. The overworld feels largely pointless and would much rather preferred that they do mini-sandbox levels ala Sniper Elite 4 instead of the vast world with not much of interest in it. With all that said though, Im still having fun with the beta and will probably pick the game up when its on discount but its hard to play the game and not think about all the untapped potential here that could have amounted to something great.

EDIT: also, seriously wondering if there is any point of not using a silenced weapon?

nOoblet16

Lmao had a glitch where I pressed throttle up to lift my helicopter up and the thing simply didn't stop going up and I ended up going out of bounds and died lol.

Also I have tried this on both PS Pro and Xbox One, it looks great on PS Pro, runs stable and has no tearing. I think the resolution was stated to be 1440P. On Xbox One, I am pretty sure it's 900P and has LOTS of tearing and I mean LOTS !! It also drops framerate slightly here and there that it's noticeable enough. I'm not sure how it runs on base PS4.

Spladam

nOoblet16

I played a few hours last night. The more I played the more I enjoyed it but it doesnt feel like a full priced game IMO. My quick and dirty impressions

-The controls are a bit awkward, constantly changing your shooting shoulder every time you go into cover is annoying as fuck.

-The overworld is nice looking but feels a bit barren.

-I didnt have an issue with cars that others had, but they do take some getting used to

-Helo controls...terrible.

There is some tactical fun to be had here; sneaking into bases and such is the closest it gets to Ghost Recons of old but both the friendly and enemy AI is brainless. The overworld feels largely pointless and would much rather preferred that they do mini-sandbox levels ala Sniper Elite 4 instead of the vast world with not much of interest in it. With all that said though, Im still having fun with the beta and will probably pick the game up when its on discount but its hard to play the game and not think about all the untapped potential here that could have amounted to something great.

EDIT: also, seriously wondering if there is any point of not using a silenced weapon?
What do you mean ? It works quite like other games that do automatic shoulders swap depending on your location in cover. And you can always switch it with R1/RB

SomTervo

Right, if you're not sure about the game, I can't recommend going to the second part of the map enough.

- it's harder for various reasons
- more enemies
- enemies react quicker and are ready to shoot immediately. Once alerted it takes a split second in the wrong position for you to get gunned down (on Extreme)
- there are more enemy types (enemies on machine guns, enemies on mortars, heavily armoured enemies)
- there is more surveillance (unmanned light rigs, alarm posts)
- helicopters begin patrolling if you set off the alarm (and fuck they are nasty on Extreme)

The playspaces also get more dense and more detailed. There's one base in particular that is near Ground Zeroes quality, but with even more freedom of approach. I also love that helicopters genuinely just patrol the skies at a whim.

That said, it still feels like it's balanced for co-op. Your AI teammates are basically useless when you're in the thick of a base unless you're going to use them as a distraction. What's worse, helicopters are basically impossible to take down unless you have a rocket launcher - and as far as I can tell you can't outfit your NPC teammates with a rocket launcher or tell them to target the chopper.

You need to play co-op for it to be really balanced.

PS the voice acting continues to be legit painful

What do you mean ? It works quite like other games that do automatic shoulders swap depending on your location in cover. And you can always switch it with R1/RB

Its not bad that it switches your shoulder in cover but it keeps that orientation when you leave cover, which I think is pretty annoying.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is there any chance this comes onto xbox play anywhere so I can play it with friends from my PC?

flkraven

Played a few hours of multiplayer last night with my brother. Here are my impressions:

First I will preface this by saying that this should be right in my wheel house of games I enjoy. I like messing about in Just Cause and GTA, I loved Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 and tried to be stealthy, love shooters (I play Rainbow Six Siege every day), love cooperative multiplayer games (I have 45 days played in Destiny), etc etc.

I'm playing this on Xbox One.

Pros:

-This game looks incredible. Probably the best-looking open world game on the platform right now. The draw distance is great for an Xbox One.
-It can be fun when rolling around with a friend and suddenly things go all shitty.

However...

Cons:

-After about an hour in, you pretty much know everything this game has to offer. It's just going to be more of that. I got a parachute, so that's cool, but it doesn't really change much.
-Helicopter controls are boring and clunky. Doesn't really feel like you are using a helicopter.
-The gunplay feels a little off. Maybe that would improve after 'leveling up' things like stability, etc. And maybe I need to play with my sensitivity a bit more. However, playing with an Elite Controller is just didn't feel 'great'. Not bad, but not great.
-The stealth can be extremely questionable. Sometimes you aren't seen when standing in a bush 3 feet from an enemy, but hiding behind a building 50 feet away procs the vision cone to start filling up. Unpredictable. Which leads me to the enemy ai:
-When someone 'sees' you, you can down them immediately yet for some reason everyone on base is now alerted. Not only that, but they know exactly where you are. There is no way to dynamically slip in and out of stealth. The absolute second you are out of stealth it just becomes a lock down, cover shooter until you clear the base.
-Vehicles in general feel bad. Like they over adjust, or something.
-The world is big and gorgeous, but it feels like it would benefit from better traversal options. I see something like this and I think of wing suits and stuff from Just Cause. Obviously it's different, but it definitely needs SOMETHING. This seems like it would become a fast travel fest within a few hours of playing.
-Big open world with friends means you sometimes want to just muck around and have fun, but it is almost impossible to do in this world. Accidentally kill a few civilians and you are at a 'game over' screen and have to wait for a reload. Who thought this was a good idea?

Can't think of much else off hand, but I only played a few hours. I can just tell that this game is the perfect 'rental' because it will become boring very quickly.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Let me echo the sentiment above.

Sniper Elite 4 does everything better than this game. If you like this kind of game play you need to pick it up.

nOoblet16

Its not bad that it switches your shoulder in cover but it keeps that orientation when you leave cover, which I think is pretty annoying.
It's the price of a soft cover system, imagine your orientation changed when in cover and then you move slightly away from it and suddenly your orientation goes back to normal and you have to change it again if you want to get that same angle...Causing annoyance.

Sometimes I'll change it manually with R1/RB but most of the time I'll change the orientation simply by facing to the right side in cover before popping out, it's a habit from playing a lot of other cover based shooters, specifically Gears eventhough it doesn't have anything like this but in that game leaving a cover with right side orientation means you don't have to go through the animation of changing orientation, saving you split seconds in a firefight.

Right, if you're not sure about the game, I can't recommend going to the second part of the map enough.

- more enemies
- enemies react quicker and are ready to shoot immediately. Once alerted it takes a split second in the wrong position for you to get gunned down (on Extreme)
- there are more enemy types (enemies on machine guns, enemies on mortars, heavily armoured enemies)
- helicopters begin patrolling if you set off the alarm (and fuck they are nasty on Extreme)

The playspaces also get more dense and more detailed. There's one base in particular that is near Ground Zeroes quality, but with even more freedom of approach. I also love that helicopters genuinely just patrol the skies at a whim.

That said, it still feels like it's balanced for co-op. Your AI teammates are basically useless when you're in the thick of a base unless you're going to use them as a distraction. What's worse, helicopters are basically impossible to take down unless you have a rocket launcher - and as far as I can tell you can't outfit your NPC teammates with a rocket launcher or tell them to target the chopper.

Yeah, those bases in the second area are a lot more involved. And raising the alert level seems a lot more dangerous too. Had a missile shot at me just as I entered the air space in a stolen helicopter.

That's a positive, but I hope it doesn't just become Just Cause 2 when the alerts go off and you're just dealing with tons of helicopters.

flkraven

When I played the game I actually felt genuinely bad for the hundreds of people that worked on it. It looks awesome and it is clear that a ton of work was put into it, but it just seems directionless and lacking any sort of identity. Playing this made me realize I should probably buy a different open-world game to mess around in with my friends.

- more enemies

Going into the 2nd district in co-op last night was a really fun experience. It does feels like a step up in intensity. The first thing we did after fast traveling there and marveling at the scenery (seriously, this scale of this map is complete insanity) was head towards a small town and get ambushed by Unidad soldiers and spotted by a patrolling Unidad helicopter while we were scavenging a small building. Instant urban warfare out of nowhere.

And man people are taking the writing too seriously. You're supposed to be talking over this stuff in co-op. Who even cares. You can't praise MGSV over and over in this thread then bullet point GR's writing like it's game destroying, brehs. Let's be serious.

Tovarisc

I think The Division plays better than this. xD

In some ways it does and in others WL is better. Gunplay does feel better in WL while character movement is maybe slightly more fluid in Division even with sticky cover, for e.g.

Players who feel that gunplay is slow or has input lag you are shouldering weapons with, on PC, RMB, right? If you don't do that there is clear delay between button and shot fired, do that it's instant.

ironcreed

Banned
I predict that this will be like The Crew. Everyone blows it off at first and then later many start to realize that it is actually a pretty great game after you get deeper into it.

beavermatic

Neo Member
The game is definitely going to disappoint classic PC/Xbox Ghost Recon and GRAW fans who were expecting a more squad-based ARMA style game, as it focuses more on a Splinter Cell Blacklist/Farcry 3(4)/Division-style gameplay... but that in itself isn't a bad thing, as its just taking it in a different direction this time and at least borrowed some of the best elements from those titles (with the exception of helicopter controls... lol, I mean, wtf, who designs controls like this?).

It's not much fun in solo mode, kind of "meh", but absolutely having a blast in co-op mode, very seamlessly intergrated and a lot of fun in that respect (seems like that was the intent, to be co-op from the start and the solo play just "there" because it has to be).

Now, I will say that as far as gameworld and atmosphere/locations... they absolutely nailed it. My wife is Bolivian (from Cochabamba), and I just got back from Bolivia a few months ago after our ceremony there. I was there for about a month, and her family took me all over the major cities, countryside, amazon villages (villa tunari), salar de uyuni, potosi, Oruruo, the andes mountain ranges, lowland plains and deserts, etc etc.... and it was simply breathtaking. It's pretty weird having been to those places now and then walking through them in the game, because their art and visual design team really pulled it off... it's definitely Bolivia. Even the buildings and local townsfolk are spot-on.

The story, heh, well it's a game... Yes, Bolivia is one of the worlds largest producers of coca leaf, but not really a massive center of drug trade that it's made out to be, lol. Thought it was a very humorous and overly dramatic representation, but makes for a cool story.

Anyways, 7.5/10 I'd give it. Maybe 8/10 because the coop is definitely intriguing.

ironcreed

Banned
The game is definitely going to disappoint classic PC/Xbox Ghost Recon and GRAW fans who were expecting a more squad-based ARMA style game, as it focuses more on a Splinter Cell Blacklist/Farcry 3(4)/Division-style gameplay... but that in itself isn't a bad thing, as its just taking it in a different direction this time and at least borrowed some of the best elements from those titles (with the exception of helicopter controls... lol, I mean, wtf, who designs controls like this?).

It's not much fun in solo mode, kind of "meh", but absolutely having a blast in co-op mode, very seamlessly intergrated and a lot of fun in that respect (seems like that was the intent, to be co-op from the start and the solo play just "there" because it has to be).

I loved old GR and Rainbow Six back in the day and this suits me just fine. Having a great time playing solo, just like I did those old games as well. Only here I have a huge open world, more skills, more toys and some fantastic customization.

flkraven

I predict that this will be like The Crew. Everyone blows it off at first and then later many start to realize that it is actually a pretty great game after you get deeper into it.

I realized The Crew was decent after I got it for Games with Gold, so I hope the same thing happens here! lol

v1lla21

- more enemies

Yup. The second part of the map is fucking ridiculous. Use an lmg to suppress the chopper, it worked out for me. Buddy got a rocket launcher after and took it out. Yeah the game is janky and the writing is terrible but it's so much fun especially when you get to the second part of the map. We took out a complex, well half of it before I was spotted, by being stealthy and having someone snipe. The freedom to approach missions is Legit great.

Stitch

Gold Member
So I parked my car to clear out an outpost (again because the guys keep respawning) and only moved away from the car like 5 metres maybe and when the bad guys were dead my car was gone

topkek

it's like I'm back in PS2 GTA

Yup. The second part of the map is fucking ridiculous. Use an lmg to suppress the chopper, it worked out for me. Buddy got a rocket launcher after and took it out. Yeah the game is janky and the writing is terrible but it's so much fun especially when you get to the second part of the map. We took out a complex, well half of it before I was spotted, by being stealthy and having someone snipe. The freedom to approach missions is Legit great.

Me and a buddy assaulted a cartel compound on a hill. We snuck up, circled it, scouted with drone and binocs, and then as we made our assault, we accidentally alerted a passing Unidad patrol. All hell broke loose, three way fight over several minutes. It was a really nice mix of 'i take 1, you take 2, then I go right' kinda pseud-military nonsense, then 'aiiii there's an APC!!! rUNNN!!!' co-op idiocy.

Yeah it's not gonna set the world alight, but I don't mind the driving or other little quirks (helicopters need a yaw control, but otherwise they get me A to B to C and I don't struggle, so eh) when there's plenty of free-form fun and a decent challenge on Extreme.

Wouldn't surprise me. The Crew is a good game, if you can work with it and accept some of its foibles. This is similar. This just shouldn't be called Ghost Recon, really.

Tovarisc

Wouldn't surprise me. The Crew is a good game, if you can work with it and accept some of its foibles. This is similar. This just shouldn't be called Ghost Recon, really.

None of GR titles since Original GR should be called Ghost Recon. Even AW was such departure from what original was. Same happened to Rainbow Six games, they headed to different directions from what originals set.

Bluecondor

LOL! I had this exact same reaction. That line is cringe-worthy and just sets the tone for a dull experience where you can't help but notice all of the game's flaws.

IvorB

I like the world. It's there to be admired, to exist and to give a backdrop to the nonsense. It's cool creeping through jungle and bushes, or looking at the view, tbh.

I don't agree that an open world needs to be littered with things to do and points of interest. It can be great as a setting and for immersion. I guess it's a fine balance for me.

Hystzen

Honestly i would say after first mission go straight to second region way more interesting designed bases and more fun sneaking around

DryvBy

It feels like a mix of The Division and GTA Online's Heist mode. It feels like part of the code was ripped from The Division (aiming, shooting, collectible crap, etc). And it's not near as polished as GTA Online. I'm hoping it's just the build, but the entire world is a glitchy mess. Things popping in and out of the screen. Enemies parking on top of each other during a convoy extraction. I had citizens spawn in the middle of battles, resulting in them dying and me getting a "Hey, don't do that!" warning message. All of the vehicles feel generic and don't control correctly. The helicopter and plane controls like you're playing a bad arcade game.

Outside of that, I do like how smooth it was to get in a game and there wasn't disconnects in my session. And the gun options were very nice. But that's about all I can praise it for.

ukas

I think it's a weird decision that the game comes out so soon yet they've released 0 information on PVP. I'm hoping multiplayer turns out to be socom: wildlands (6v6, small maps, no vehicles, no respawn), but I doubt it will be. I don't think they would abandon the open world for small online multiplayer maps.

Has PVP been confirmed for sure? I can't find anything definitive on it.

The Dude

It'd hard to believe tho that this is all they can muster up, this feels like a game we've played hundreds of times over the years except it looks a little better. Nothing about this game feels special to me, it's mediocre as hell. If someone isn't interested in zelda, horizon, nioh, Nier and mass effect I can maybe see wanting this if this game is your bag but damn there's so many other games that I'm hoping will be of quality to keep me busy I just can't see playing this game, at least not right now. It's just dull, absolutely dull

Lothars

GTA Online is better surprisingly.

No way Jose
I think GTA Online is underrated, It's a fun multiplayer mode and I can see the similarties to this game but I do think GTA Online is better.

This game is fun but I am not convinced it will be fun for long term. I am enjoying what I played of the beta so far and I will keep playing it the rest of the weekend.

I have a cheaper copy that I will probably keep but I don't have much faith in it.

I feel like the AI hive mind code has been slightly tweaked. My friends and I attacked bases from multiple angles more than once last night and I was definitely able to move about without them all instantly aware of me even though a friend alerted them to him. Maybe because I was so far away? Not sure.

There are still some really dumb fucking details about AI and detection. No matter how far away you are from an enemy, if they are in an alerted state, they will instantly target you with laser accuracy just from you aiming down sights!!!! You don't even have to fire. Someone not even looking at you magically knows you are ADS at them and will turn and shoot on you. Ugh. I am having fun when I play with friends, but I wonder if stuff like this is going to kill the fun later in the game.

Edit: And of course the helicopter controls are still frustratingly bad.

I played it for an hour last night and it was boring as hell. It felt to me like this huge empty shell to me. It might be more fun with friends, but man was it a drag in single player mode...

Bread

Banned
This seems like a game you need to play with friends because I'm not on the same page with the people talking about single player.

I took out a couple of outposts with my buddies last night and it was amazing. It's got the Tom Clancy feel with nice graphics and good customization. The flickering on the Xbox One version is god awful though, it's a real shame if that's the final version.

I played it for an hour last night and it was boring as hell. It felt to me like this huge empty shell to me. It might be more fun with friends, but man was it a drag in single player mode...

It is pretty much 99.999% required to play this game co op with friends to have fun. I am sure some people will have fun soloing the entire game, but it is a completely different experience co op. Instead of a dull empty sandbox, it transforms into a massive playground with guns.

Tovarisc

I feel like the AI hive mind code has been slightly tweaked. My friends and I attacked bases from multiple angles more than once last night and I was definitely able to move about without them all instantly aware of me even though a friend alerted them to him. Maybe because I was so far away? Not sure.

AI was like that in closed beta too. One could draw enemy attention while rest flanked from sides and back. Also if you drop line of sight between you and AI gunning for you they lose track of you. People just are far way too quick to judge AI in this game, imo. Should definitely put game on hardest difficulty and do both zones before judging it too hard.

I do agree that it's silly how whole base can be alerted about your precise location if that single guard reports alert state to rest of his AI buddies. You do have small window of time to kill enemy who spotted you before whole base is alerted, so that is nice at least.

Top Bottom