• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon : Wildlands Open Beta Impressions.

The open world in MGSV is worse than just bad, it's pointless. Let's not kid ourselves here.

I mean I can't say if this game does open world any better, but there definitely isn't a high standard to beat on that regard when compared against MGSV.

Gameplay is another story tho, MGSV did nail that like nothing else.

I'd much rather take MGSV's open world.

See, the thing about MGSV's open world is that you don't have to spend any time in it. You can always just fly to every location on the map using the chopper. And even if you do have to trek across the map for a bit, it's fast and fun with the options at your disposal.

Not only is Ghost Recon map full of unengaging side activities, it's an absolute pain and not fun at all to get across the map. Seriously, every vehicle controls like crap in this game.

Cubed

People that bash MGS V's open world don't know the purpose of its open world. People hear open world and think that means loads of "lively" city dwellers, collectibles, and places to explore. MGS V isn't about creating a realistic, breathing world for you to get lost in... which would obviously be a bad thing if it wasn't for the fact that MGS V's open world serves this very important function instead: it allows you to incorporate a strategic, open, and varied combat plan for every enemy encounter.

The open world is there for you to quick travel to an enemy hotspot and then use the surrounding open world to attack the enemy and escape after completing an objective. The open world is not there to let you "get lost in a living, breathing world."

Some may then argue that Kojima should have just made a bunch of big hubs, but then you still somewhat limit a player's approach to, and escape from, every encounter; and besides, if you make enough big hubs you may as well fuse them together into an open world (or two, in this case), as Kojima did.

0racle

I beat the first province, story wise and went to the new area. Missions are samey over and over. There is nothing particularly bad per say, but there is nothing good either. I like the vastness of the open world and landscape. But it's boring as fuck and does not need any exploration. I felt bored the entire time.

I posted in the other thread without seeing this one lol, I'll just paste it here.

Didn't expect such harsh stuff in this thread, jeez. Me and my friend just got done a 3 hour session in Co-op and we loved everything we played. On PC the game looks absolutely incredible. It actually doesn't run that bad either at the higher settings at 60fps, it drops but none that bothered me enough to drop settings down from where they were, I was at Very High and High for everything with one or two at ultra. No god rays. On a 980ti and i7 6700k.

The story and "characters" are obviously horribly bad, but me and my friend enjoyed Far Cry 3 and 4 a lot. This just seems like that but with more options and an even bigger open world (Open world is just ridiculous in size)

I understand the comparisons to MGS5, I think this plays better overall (Save for some of the stealth but it's still good.)

To me I think playing in Co-Op will probably be the absolute best way to play this unlike Far Cry.

Oneself

So yeah, I played about an hour. I would have stopped after 15 minutes but I gave the game a bit of a chance... And I'd like to get that hour back, and some money.
It looks good onnPro but good God it's so boring. It's Far Cry with The Division's viewpoint but devoid of personality, ambience and fun. It's every ubisoft open world game copied and pasted again (well, maybe except WD2). It's like Just Cause with nothing crazy, it takes itself super seriously. It has shitty unresponsive controls, some of the most basic AI of this gen and it obviously feels nothing like the Ghost Recons I enjoyed.
Some will enjoy it but I just can't.
Deleted from drive. :)

Adnor

Banned
Game's so much fun multiplayer.

We did a enemy camp in the second province and it was the most Metal Gear Solid Ground Zero thing I've seen.

Dipswitch

Played with my family earlier and thought it was quite fun in 4 player coop mode. Graphics are decent, with very impressive draw distances. Vehicles are squirrely but not terrible. Shooting gameplay seems solid. Story and dialog are meh, but thats nothing new for GR games.

Will probably grab for coop mode. Single player will take a backseat to that, which is the opposite of how I normally play these games.

This open world is a fucking chore. Thank god there are helicopters every 10 feet.

LMAO! It's true though... I've never seen so many helicopters in my life.

This "every game needs to have a mega-massive open world" trend seriously needs to stop. It doesn't benefit games like this AT ALL. I would much rather have a traditional Ghost Recon game with large stand-alone levels than this tacky bullshit. It just feels so forced.

Schlorgan

I wish it just controlled like MGSV. It feels clunky, especially when trying to get the camera to switch shoulders.

Does anyone know a better way to do that than messing with the cover system? I couldn't find anything in the options.

Game is very very pretty, and has one of the best night times I've played around in. Dark but not too dark.

Don't know if they changed vehicle handling since the closed beta but the trucks and vans I drove this time had a little more weight to them, which is good. Helicopters still don't feel right though.

The time-to-kill was right on, my allied AI didn't blow my cover this time, the shooting itself was satisfying, and I even enjoyed the squad banter that'd happen as you hoofed it over hillsides (comparing wounds, underwear, the state of Bolivia, etc). Played solo on Extreme with a few HUD elements disabled - you can't really get rid of the notifications though, otherwise interrogations and intel won't work - since you have to choose which type of intel you want and the choice graphic never shows up. That doesn't seem right. But there's no way I'll play with that minimap enabled if I can at all avoid it. Also approached this like I would Skyrim - just chose a direction I wanted to explore and went that way before circling back to the rally point. Kindof patrolling for interesting things. Took on what I could, and saved other stuff for later.

I think I will pick this up, even though I consider it undercooked. Seems like a 6.5 - 7 that could have its moments.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ugh, the radio is really bad, yeah. There was one bit making fun of feminism, made me feel like the devs think their audience is a bunch of gamergaters or some shit.

Also that conversation your teammates have about how water boarding isn't really torture and how the US knows the correct way to torture people and these Bolivians are all animals.

As dumb as that sounds, it definitely doesn't seem to be written as a joke... it has a serious tone.

Wtf

StewboaT_

God damn what a difference it makes playing on pc at 60 fps without that horrid input lag on the ps4. It's like I'm playing a completely different game. The travesal is still such a boring slog though.

Hyun Sai

Wow, I wanted to see it for myself, but holy cow vehicule control is really utter shit, how can some devs produce this in 2017 ??? Judging by the time we spend travelling, this is a pretty big NOPE for me, especially when the rest is that bland design wise.

I wish it just controlled like MGSV. It feels clunky, especially when trying to get the camera to switch shoulders.

Does anyone know a better way to do that than messing with the cover system? I couldn't find anything in the options.

Yeah, the switching shoulders thing is just awkward.

It's fast when you're aiming, but it feels unresponsive and slow when you're not.

NightOnyx

Tried to play it coop, but my friend couldn't join thanks to NAT issues. We might try sometime later if he gets that figured out. We've been playing Sniper Elite 4 with no problem, but Ghost Recon didn't want us to play together I guess.

I tried it solo and I really was not a fan of a lot of it. Like others have said, the vehicle controls are terrible. Gun combat wasn't anything special, and the missions seemed pretty generic from what I tried, but I didn't play a whole bunch. The world is nice though. The graphics are very inconsistent. Sometimes it looks great, other times it look like crap. Just a really weird game, and even though I had planned on getting this, I might hold off for a while at least.

_woLf

This game sucks but it's pretty fun to mess around in with some friends.

The voice acting is probably some of the worst I've ever heard from a AAA game

You can hide in a cars trunk lmao. I'm getting some dips on PC with a mix of High and ultra settings on an i7 4770k and Sli 780ti's(i really need some more VRAM). afterburner says both cards are being used but im not sure. I'm gonna try the PS4 version. It's a lot more fun than i thought, might have to pick it up.

Damn this is so fun playing with friends!

i agree and think that is the big difference between the people who are enjoying it and those who don't care for it. I imagine I would get bored of it quicker playing it solo. You start to overlook some of the glaring faults of the game when you having a good time playing with others. My group had a lot of laughs about different things tonight and in other cases also had some satisfying moments where we planned and carried out successful attempts at difficult missions or totally cleared out camps with perfect stealthy precision. There really isnt any other co-op shooter experience out on current gen consoles that im aware of where you can get 4 people together that can drop in at anytime and play without needing to worry about being around the same progress or skill level to enjoy the same content (Destiny & The Division). The progression model is well thought out where you get credit for each mission or action taken in your game so you don't need to worry about whose "save/game" you are playing on.

One of the only changes I noticed from the closed to open beta that changed the game a lot for me is while playing exclusively on the highest difficulty is the removal of the red "mist" that identified all enemies in an area on the maps. Not knowing exactly how many enemies were there, especially at nighttime where its not easy to scan for all of them made for some surprising encounters. This made each camp/base attack like monotonous and assured we didnt just need to go thru the motions and scan the area only until the "mist" cleared to know for certain how many enemies we needed to account for. I think there can be further improvement with this as even when playing with friends you still get audio cues from your A.I. teammates who are not there about when they spot enemies, which is a crutch that needs to be turned off when the AI isn't on your team so you need to rely on your human teammates to call out enemy positions. After killing everyone in a given area you always seem to get a omniscient verbal confirmation from your character when an area is clear when in most cases that couldn't really be concluded so quickly, which I'd like to see removed on the highest difficulty as well.

Everyone complains about the handling of the vehicles and i agree that the handling model for the ground vehicles is not very well done, but this isnt a gamebreaker for me and seems like something a patch could help in the near future. I think the knock on the helicopter handling for most is undeserved as the game does allow you pretty precise control once you figure out the mechanics that they refuse to tell you about in the tutorials for how to fly forward straight and easy. I've been able fly without much issue and have been able to make some tight moves in little bird choppers after a little practice. The airplane handling is not very well thought out though with lack of yaw (side to side) control.

I only played a small bit in the second new area but found it very challenging with interesting camp setups and problems to work through that my group had some real difficulty with when we didnt plan well. Luckily the game's handling of reloading after all your squad members dies is very casual friendly so even when we failed a lot of times it was never frustrating to retry a camp assault since they spawn your team back in close by smartly chosen areas.

Overall im happy with the game as a long time fan of the series who initially wrote this off after it's first gameplay footage was revealed and will be picking it up day 1 to enjoy some laid back fun times with a few friends that I've been able to brainwash into liking it as well. My fav Ghost Recon memories have been co-op missions and elimination modes through the years and this helps scratch that itch a bit while taking the series in a different but better direction than Future Soldier did.

Sanpei

yeah this is boring....A classical open world game...Doing same things over and over again

The world is not interesting...While playing, i always wanted to travel fast to mission point...

Oh and look at the water shaders on PS4

C5XsnMAWYAQPLM5.jpg

C5Xsgx3WMAAKtrJ.jpg

ZeoVGM

Banned
Is anyone else experiencing game breaking bugs like I am?

The sound in my game died nearly completely. All I could hear was faint gun shots. Everything else was as if I was submerged underwater. And then it wouldn't let me bring up the pause menu or map.

After that, I died and when I respawned, couldn't move my character. I could only move the camera. I had to close the game and restart.

On PC, I played the first few missions with two friends and we ran into issue after issue. We kept running into glitches where whoever was hosting the game would sometimes experience the game freezing for upwards of 20 seconds, and everyone else would be able to move but nothing would happen. Sometimes someone would just get randomly kicked, they'd try to get back in, invited by both of the others in the game, and it would just not let them in until they restarted the game. The networking and connectivity issues on PC were enough to make me not care to get this on launch.

Gameplay is pretty much what you'd expect from an open world Ghost Recon. To me it felt like a mix of Watch Dogs and ArmA 3.

Tecnniqe

Banned
On PC, I played the first few missions with two friends and we ran into issue after issue. We kept running into glitches where whoever was hosting the game would sometimes experience the game freezing for upwards of 20 seconds, and everyone else would be able to move but nothing would happen. Sometimes someone would just get randomly kicked, they'd try to get back in, invited by both of the others in the game, and it would just not let them in until they restarted the game. The networking and connectivity issues on PC were enough to make me not care to get this on launch.

Gameplay is pretty much what you'd expect from an open world Ghost Recon. To me it felt like a mix of Watch Dogs and ArmA 3.
Weird issue because as someone with open NAT and playing with 3 others we've not run into any networking issues.
Seeing all the bad comments on this beta i just might delete it off hdd without ever launching it.
Vq5m_f-maxage-0.gif

The guns and rockets, on the helos, are one of the most useless things I've ever used in a video game, unless I'm missing something major. I had better luck running the enemies over with the copter.

I'm getting the same vibes from this as I did with The Division beta. I'm enjoying it but even the few missions I've played so far have all been just a lot of go here and clear out the guys, the end. I could see it getting old fast and the character movement and gunplay feels too clunky and awkward to really enjoy any kind of competitive multiplayer.

Probably a pass from me but I'll keep messing with the beta.

jond76

Banned
I've been really enjoying Ubisofts output lately, particularly The Division and For Honor. This does nothing for me though.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a knife in the game that you can use for silent stealth takedowns?

Gave it another try but I have to accept that this is a bad game. The original E3 trailer was hype but maybe open world Ghost Recon is just a bad idea.

Game does not look anywhere near that bad for me. Everything on high/max for me.

Runs well, looks good and plays good for me.
Erm.... that is really not representative how the game looks for me running it on high settings.

You must run that on the lowest settings possible......
Looks like you're running with onboard graphics and not your actual GPU(s). Even base PS4 looks way better than that.
I said that this is high settings in my post, are you trying to accuse me of lying? This game ate 3,5 gigabytes of my GPU memory, details level is on ultra, it can't hold stable 60 FPS and constantly dropping below 30 FPS, but it looks like ass, always. This is how Far Cry Primal with ultra settings looks on my PC:
And this is Wildlands on ultra:
I'm going to make small video when i'll return to home if there is still doubters that game without valid reason looks like ass on my PC.

donnaben

I think it's a weird decision that the game comes out so soon yet they've released 0 information on PVP. I'm hoping multiplayer turns out to be socom: wildlands (6v6, small maps, no vehicles, no respawn), but I doubt it will be. I don't think they would abandon the open world for small online multiplayer maps.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Okay, seriously. This game is a buggy piece of shit.

Playing with my brother and a friend. My brother dies, my friend tries to revive him. My brother says it's not bringing him back. My friend says he's now running around but on my screen, he's still kneeling and trying to heal my brother. And on my friend's screen, my brother is stuck inside the ground up to his waist.

Kin5290

LMAO! It's true though... I've never seen so many helicopters in my life.

This "every game needs to have a mega-massive open world" trend seriously needs to stop. It doesn't benefit games like this AT ALL. I would much rather have a traditional Ghost Recon game with large stand-alone levels than this tacky bullshit. It just feels so forced.
This. Give me traditional Ghost Recon with large arenas to develop different avenues of approach over clearing one outpost and then another outpost and then another with world traversal being an utter chore.
Is there a knife in the game that you can use for silent stealth takedowns?
Also, this. How the hell is there no stealth kill mechanic?

This game is basically the division in the jungle with vehicles.

The guns and rockets, on the helos, are one of the most useless things I've ever used in a video game, unless I'm missing something major. I had better luck running the enemies over with the copter.

There is something wrong with the helicopter controls that makes aiming impossible. The chopper kinda does what it should, but you have no control over how much it leans forward and sometimes it leans backwards while you are still pressing the stick forward.

I don't get it.

Riposte

Played one hour. Didn't capture me at all. I would even call it tedious. On the highest difficulty, I just fucked around and still didn't get killed. Seems unfair to judge it without jumping into the co-op though.

I hate myself so much for believing this could finally be the SOCOM replacement I've been dying for. SMH. Maybe the online PVP will be different? I'll wait for that and see what people say i guess.

Yea I played with 3 friends tonight. I'm gonna skip this. Got the same feeling with Divison when I couldn't even have fun in co-op.

Timu

I said that this is high settings in my post, are you trying to accuse me of lying? This game ate 3,5 gigabytes of my GPU memory, details level is on ultra, it can't hold stable 60 FPS and constantly dropping below 30 FPS, but it looks like ass, always. This is how Far Cry Primal with ultra settings looks on my PC:

And this is Wildlands on ultra:

I'm going to make small video when i'll return to home if there is still doubters that game without valid reason looks like ass on my PC.
That sharpening filter makes it look worse, I turn it off and it's better that way.

I see potential for fun in this game. Definitely going to try the game during the beta. If they can smooth out the performance a bit, i'm in.

Tried both on PC and PS4 Pro.

Just... No. I really can not be bothered with more UbiSoft open worlds right now. As much as I love tactical shooters, this just felt so dull. Like, their idea of tactical is just to focus on the Recon part of the name.

For me, the crap AI teammates and not having a co-op crew was the death sentence for this game.

And to think this was one of my most anticipated games of the year. My fault, really.
I'm still thinking about the first game in the series, forgetting that all but the admirable (if horrifically buggy) PC versions of GRAW were just vaguely tactical third person shooters.

Top Bottom