• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon : Wildlands Open Beta Impressions.

Played a few hours. Guns are ok. Don't like the aiming conventions. Feels too loose. Don't like the controls for switching shoulder views. Unlocks are completely silly especially knowing that when it goes live the supplies will likely give less per outpost otherwise maxing skills will happen too quickly. Having to unlock more than one coordinated shot is plain dumb and having the go signal (on controller) require a button press (making the player have to take their thumb off the right stick, thus sacrificing aim at a crucial moment) is unintuitive.

Vehicles are hit and miss. Ground vehicles are ok. Flying vehicles are atrocious.

Played on the second to hardest mode. Engagements are super easy. Not sure how hardest will change it other than having the AI be insanely accurate.

Overall it's sort of middling for me. Could be fun in MP (in fact survival sub-genre games like King of the Hill would be perfect for this) but single player experience seems like it will quickly become tedious with difficulty being too easy (especially once skills are leveled) and the counter just being waves and waves of enemies.

Might picn it up on sale way down the line if they add some fun PvP MP modes/mini-games. Even the Co-op seems like it'll get boring quickly and devilve into a GTA/Just Cause-esque session of running around like a wrecking crew using OP vehicles/guns.

Maybesew

Started the first mission, got to the target, it wouldn't let me get out of the car, ran him over, mission failed, deleted beta.

ironcreed

Banned
The more missions I do, the more I dig it. It may not light the world on fire like Horizon, but it's still just a fun game. I will enjoy it.

speiky

Let my brother borrow my console so I am not able to play atm. However, a buddy of mine says the graphics look worse in the open beta. Sounds unlikely to me. Anyone else feel that way?

ironcreed

Banned
Started the first mission, got to the target, it wouldn't let me get out of the car, ran him over, mission failed, deleted beta.

LOL, not even going to give it a proper go and complete one mission? The more I do, the more I love it. I am getting a feel for the gameplay and a better look at some of the skills that I will be able to unlock, etc. At least give it a fair shake and chance to win you over.

Enclose

LOL, not even going to give it a proper go and complete one mission? The more I do, the more I love it. I am getting a feel for the gameplay and a better look at some of the skills that I will be able to unlock, etc. At least give it a fair shake and chance to win you over.

they have to fix the vehicle controls then its fun to play.

This is a blast in co op, and the world is gorgeous.

Not a Ghost Recon game, really, but unexpectedly fun and then immersive and then totally silly. A weird mix but it works for me!

Chumley

Banned
Even Solo I already like this more than Far Cry 4, more challenging and more tactical with more ways to get shit done. Absolutely dreadful voice acting and facial animations though.

ironcreed

Banned
Even Solo I already like this more than Far Cry 4, more challenging and more tactical with more ways to get shit done. Absolutely dreadful voice acting and facial animations though.

Yeah, the voice acting is terrible. But the game is still a good time. I also wish The Division was more like this, instead of being confined to a city filled with bullet sponges.

jowell24

Playing on PC helps with controller and input latency. Still, I only use controller for flying and driving and stick to M+KB for the rest.

I understand the helicopter flying system now and actually find it pretty decent. Being used to the Arma controls made it seemed weird at first but I can effectively manoeuvre and land helicopters now.

Honestly, the most important thing overall is that I'm having fun playing the game solo or coop. I ramped the difficulty up to max and play the game like splinter cell which is maximising enjoyment for me. % of stealth kills is ~75%.

Straight up fire fights I find kind of boring. Even when I stole an APC in the new section of the map, I used it once and then dumped it.

Overall the game is what you make of it. I would suggest people aim for stealth more often and ramp up the difficulty and see if that makes you enjoy it more (or less).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I didn't think it could be done, but the radio is even more offensive and horrible than Far Cry 4.

Ubi needs to fire whoever writes their fucking awful radio banter.

Samikaze

I didn't think it could be done, but the radio is even more offensive and horrible than Far Cry 4.

Ubi needs to fire whoever writes their fucking awful radio banter.

It feels so out of place too.

Everything's super serious,then you turn on the radio and listen to cringe worthy stereotypes.

That is user issue, or you on console and version bugged? Just put in ~4h on PC and didn't have that issue. Aim mode was always what I had set it to for specific gun. Tapping Alt swaps between 3rd and 1st person view.

Overall this build is clear improvement from closed beta in every way. Everything has been improved in one or another. Really considering getting this for some coop with friends.

I'm playing the PC version, still having the same issue from the closed beta.

The game remembers the last aim that you toggled. So if you aimed in first person view the last time you used a gun, it will remember that view and not the one you actually prefer.

Everything's super serious,then you turn on the radio and listen to cringe worthy stereotypes.

Tonally the game is weird, which kinda works as real world meets real soldiers, but it doesn't really pull it off.

Doesn't spoil my stealth pew pew fun. Or enjoying flying through a flock of flamingos.

Chumley

Banned

Ugh, the radio is really bad, yeah. There was one bit making fun of feminism, made me feel like the devs think their audience is a bunch of gamergaters or some shit.

kamspy

The only way for me to get good frame rate without tearing is Borderless mode, which leaves me with road textures from Hard Drivin'.

The drivin itself, in multiplayer, is anything but tactical and stealthy because even when you're playing with decent group, one little slip makes it look like an Early Access Greenlight survival game. That's all fine and good, but the game has a more serious tone than the driving physics allow for. Things get slappy quick.

After trying more, on foot it feels like a mixture of Just Cause and Socom without the genre grace of either. It's just uncertain, floaty and limited.

I play more Ubisoft games on PC than Blizzard and Valve combined, so I'm not here looking for a fight. I was very excited to try it.

The graphics are awful

CeW9n2X.jpg

jOEZDNG.jpg

a5yqold.jpg

6CPp2vX.jpg

bORTHaX.jpg

(screenshots from GAF member HolyFridge)

The graphics are awful

Wat?

legbone

Having to unlock more than one coordinated shot is plain dumb and having the go signal (on controller) require a button press (making the player have to take their thumb off the right stick, thus sacrificing aim at a crucial moment) is unintuitive.
Shooting another enemy will also have them fire with you. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

Gaz_RB

There's so much about this game that I dislike and a ton of wasted potential but I'm still picking it up day one. This game is going to have a fucking ridiculous amount of coop content.

Dunkley

Very positive impressions here, played for around 4 hours with my friends and it's been a blast.

Flight controls have been awful but otherwise the bread and butter of the game is fine, felt like a jankier version of MGSV to me given at one point where I keep pressing the wrong buttons to crouch/tried to fulton stuff.

I didn't really care about this before but now I am cautiously optimistic. I don't have high hopes that the full game will blow my mind but it definitely is a ton of fun in MP, not Day 1 material, but the game is definitely on my radar now.

Mgsv is infinitely better in every aspect . Not sure we played the same games

The open world in MGSV is worse than just bad, it's pointless. Let's not kid ourselves here.

I mean I can't say if this game does open world any better, but there definitely isn't a high standard to beat on that regard when compared against MGSV.

Gameplay is another story tho, MGSV did nail that like nothing else.

I tried this and it didn't work when I did it. I still had to press x (ps4) to get them to fire.
I've never had to specifically hit X in any of my sync shots, in either beta.

I press X to select the target(s) I want the AI to hit, line up a shot of my own on another target, and when I fire at my target the AI drops the other ones at the same time.

PS4 here too. It works.

Peroroncino

There's so much about this game that I dislike and a ton of wasted potential but I'm still picking it up day one. This game is going to have a fucking ridiculous amount of coop content.

I just finished a long marathon with my friends, just about 5 minutes ago I landed the chopper on some hill, and we picked clean more or less 15 guys with snipers without them even suspecting a thing, '3, 2, 1, go!' and we shoot, IT. WAS. AMAZING.

btw. I still can't agree with anybody saying it looks like shit, I mean if you wanna zoom on some textures then maybe, I guess, but this isn't the type of game where you look at one texture and bitch about it being PS3 era, it a sum of its parts that makes it look great - lighting, dynamic weather, time of day, draw distance, lush terrain, AA etc. all make something truly beautiful in my opinion.

PS4 AMATEUR (all in-game):

Am I alone in absolutely hating this game's sound design? The weapons in particular sound hilariously bad. It's like something I'd expect to hear in some shitty F2P game from a no-name dev working on a shoestring budget.

FiraB

Banned
Am I alone in absolutely hating this game's sound design? The weapons in particular sound hilariously bad. It's like something I'd expect to hear in some shitty F2P game from a no-name dev working on a shoestring budget.
Nope, i like it personally. The sound accurately reflecting off objects and the soundscape are excellent.

What are you using to listen to this?

Pleasantly surprised, I thought the game was going to be a stinker but it's pretty dang fun. I'd like some qol changes though, like if someone else in your squad gets a collectable or supplies it should give it to everyone, I was playing with my friend who was mostly trying to be long range overwatch for me while I went in sneaky-like, and after every engagement we were both getting tired of him having to run down and collect all the shit around the base. I imagine the alternative to that is just having a stealthy choo-choo train of operators going through camp so they can all get the stuff at the same time, which would just be dumb. I'll probably wait to get it to see how the game plays out content-wise cause it seems like it could easily end up with the post campaign content just being a collect-a-thon for all the weapons and shit.

Also got 3 blue screens of death in 3 hours, so that's fun, first time a game has crashed my current PC that hard (with the threepeat, no less), that's another thing that'll keep me from getting it release day.

The game is not for me, to say at least.
It looks and feels super generic, in some cases even cheap. Maybe it's just the beta? I played it on the PRO, 1080p.

Gameplay feels just "ok" nothing special. Vehicle handling is also not good.

Edit: I didn't played long enough to experience some weather effects, or the day / night cycle. Seeing some screenshots here, where the game can look quite good.

I've never had to specifically hit X in any of my sync shots, in either beta.

I press X to select the target(s) I want the AI to hit, line up a shot of my own on another target, and when I fire at my target the AI drops the other ones at the same time.

PS4 here too. It works.

Hmm. Don't know why it didn't trigger on my attempt. I'll give it a try again next time I play if I find time this weekend.

ironcreed

Banned
I just finished a long marathon with my friends, just about 5 minutes ago I landed the chopper on some hill, and we picked clean more or less 15 guys with snipers without them even suspecting a thing, '3, 2, 1, go!' and we shoot, IT. WAS. AMAZING.

btw. I still can't agree with anybody saying it looks like shit, I mean if you wanna zoom on some textures then maybe, I guess, but this isn't the type of game where you look at one texture and bitch about it being PS3 era, it a sum of its parts that makes it look great - lighting, dynamic weather, time of day, draw distance, lush terrain, AA etc. all make something truly beautiful in my opinion.

PS4 AMATEUR (all in-game):

Yeah, it can look pretty darn nice. Such as at night when the lightning strikes and the draw distance in certain places. The voice acting is not all bad either. There are times when the banter between the squad is actually pretty good. Fun game and there is not much out there like it.

Killzig

This open world is a fucking chore. Thank god there are helicopters every 10 feet. Looks better on PS4 for me than it did on PC. I had all kinds of issues with it on PC though.

Skimmed the thread and didn't see an answer, but if I kept the closed beta on PS4, is it a simple update or do I have to re-download it? Cause a friend told me he had to re-download the whole thing even though he still had the closed beta installed.

FiraB

Banned
Edit: I didn't played long enough to experience some weather effects, or the day / night cycle. Seeing some screenshots here, where the game can look quite good.

Night and weather is were it looks really good, the lighting system reminds me of JC3 but throw in a rainstorm and lightning an it becomes amazing it watch.

Afrikan

Played on PS4 Pro..4Kinda/HDR

Things I like:

Graphics

Things I don't like:

No Jump button

I had fun with it... but I was mostly exploring. Taking cars..then Helicopter... then I found a Plane, which was easy to control.

With the plane you can't go beyond the sky above the clouds, like say in Just Cause. At least in that regular plane.

Game felt like a multiplayer Just Cause... but without the quick transportation.

I liked making my own short cuts with the cars and trucks.

Diablos

Not crazy about single player at all. The controls are awful, the cover system sucks, the vehicle control REALLY sucks, the story sucks. Graphics range from being meh to very good. Uh, yeah.

And for some reason Multiplayer won't work. Not sure if I should care.

Oh and the radio banter probably wouldn't even impress a 14 year old.

alt27

What a dull game.

Terrible vehicle controls, boring story set up, cheesy dialouge,boring missions

Ubisoft really going down hill

dcelw540

Played for an hour it was not good at all. It felt like another division in the sense same type of missions and huge empty feeling world. Also didn't feel like at all of a ghost recon game. It's terrible and the driving is awful, the animations at times is janky as hell. I wanted to like it but nope.

Top Bottom