• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon : Wildlands Open Beta Impressions.

ty_hot

The Aí is absurd. I man laying on the ground, sniping. All my 3 teammates are around me. Suddenly, one enemy is behind me, in the middle of us 4, and kills me. The ghosts don't kill him, they all run at the same time to revive me. Once I am alive, they are back to doing nothing again, while the guy kills me again. Mission restarts.

The ghosts see enemies but they are not marked on your radar. It could at least show an area where they might be, not the exact location (for example when they say "near the truck").

Cover is weird but not bad. They deserve a prize for having the worst driving experience ever, even worst than Sleeping Dogs. In the mission that you have to steal the sports car you get angry that you have to drive that shit, instead of excited for getting a great fast car.

I'm sure the game will be a fucking repetitive open world from Ubi. Same missions all over the map.

Lots of collision bugs. Graphics are OK (or worse). Dialogar is terrible (both the script and the voices).

With all that said, the game is still fun because it's a good idea. If I won't get it on release, or when it's half price, but when it's 20 or 15, if a friend was to it too, I can take it.

7-8/10

nOoblet16

Yeah, the switching shoulders thing is just awkward.

It's fast when you're aiming, but it feels unresponsive and slow when you're not.

I wish it just controlled like MGSV. It feels clunky, especially when trying to get the camera to switch shoulders.

Does anyone know a better way to do that than messing with the cover system? I couldn't find anything in the options.
Yes...you press R1 to switch shoulders.
Game has a lot of problems but did you guys even try pressing all the buttons before claiming its clunky and all because of that shoulder swap?

Lanrutcon

Good stuff. It's the primary thing holding me back from day 1.

I don't rate the game as brilliant (from the closed beta) and I get the complaints, but I'm still gonna pick it up if the performance isn't abysmal. There aren't exactly a ton of open world third person shooters with heavy customisation.

nOoblet16

I didn't think it could be done, but the radio is even more offensive and horrible than Far Cry 4.

Ubi needs to fire whoever writes their fucking awful radio banter.
Dude Farcry 4 radio was actually fuckin hilarious because of the Hindi dialogues. I get that not everyone would understand it but I was laughing out the entire way through whenever there was a piece that included a bit if Hindi dialogue due to how it would mix with the rest of the dialogue.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Good stuff. It's the primary thing holding me back from day 1.

I don't rate the game as brilliant (from the closed beta) and I get the complaints, but I'm still gonna pick it up if the performance isn't abysmal. There aren't exactly a ton of open world third person shooters with heavy customisation.
For me it's due to coop. It's great with 1+ friend. Good laughs and yo me it seems they optimized the engine and the game looks a bit better and runs smoother for me.

If you had issues in the CB try OB out, feels like 5x better :p

samar11

Played one mission and it is okish so far, nothing special.

As for graphics and fps.
When I did a benchmark i got an average of 57fps. It was using 35% of my cpu and 98% of my GPU, I thought these sort of games rely more on the CPU? :/

My settings:
Resolution: 1440
The settings were mostly ultra with a couple of highs

RIG
i7-@5930k
Geforce GTX 1080
16gig ram

smoothj

Just got done with a 2 hour session with 2 other friends. I'm in years from laughing so much. Didn't get a lot done but had a blast fucking around. Way different experience than playing solo or matchmaking. This game is meant to be played with friends for sure. Good stuff.

HiiiLife

Sad I found it boring. Was really hoping it'd click but I was dying to close the app when I was in the party. Maybe co op is no longer for me. Gimme dat try hard pvp

Yes...you press R1 to switch shoulders.
Game has a lot of problems but did you guys even try pressing all the buttons before claiming its clunky and all because of that shoulder swap?

Did you even read my post?

I know how to switch shoulders dude. I'm saying that the speeds in switching between shoulders is different when you're aiming and not aiming. This inconsistency in the game just makes the action feel awkward. Especially when you're in cover and need to switch to a different viewpoint quickly.

FiraB

Banned
Completed second area, I love the weather system, lighting, sound and the world design but I'm still totally on the fence, really need to do some more coop with my mates to decide if it's worth it because single-player just doesn't cut it.

It does have a lot that needs to be patched though, the game freezing all the time because of auto-saving and the auto-saving auto-saving multiple times in a row drives me nuts.

Outside that the thing can pretty much be run on ultra on my RX480 with little to no problem since the game really doesn't require 60fps. I don't know why I was having so much trouble this morning but after that re-download of the whole client it fixes all my issues, even the network streaming issues which seemed really bizzare.

RedSwirl

Multiplayer is basically what I imagine GTA Online to be, just a group of guys running around blowing everything up and then deciding what place they wanna blow up next. Solo feels very MGSV in terms of overall structure. It's just a lot of little details the game lacks in comparison.

The controls aren't as good, yeah. Your character doesn't control as smoothly and doesn't have Snake's range of movement. Someone in this thread said this game with MGSV's controls would be a godsend, and that's probably true. Though, I play MGSV with a controller and am playing this with MKB (MGSV's MKB scheme is awkward), so I couldn't tell you the exact difference. The open world in Wildlands though is of a scale way beyond MGSV or any Far Cry game and that's what I like about it.

The feeling of planning your approach for each mission and having cool unexpected stuff happen is definitely there. It's definitely the same kind of sandbox mission game. This is even true for random outposts you attack.

Cool story: Got a story mission where I had to get to that burned down village. Nearby where I was was a helicopter in an UNIDAD base. Silently cleared the base and took the chopper (sync shot works really well). Approaching the village I saw it was on cliff at the end of a ridge, the ridge was heavily forested though so I had the whole team hop out and parachute down onto it (leaving the chopper to just crash) so we could approach the village from the back of the church on the cliff, to the rear of the enemy.

After I did that mission there was a base with a skill point and another chopper nearby. From the top of the ridge I could get a good look at it and spot all the enemies with my binoculars and thermal vision. I decided to leave the squad up on that ridge and circle around to the back of the base where the skill point was, sneaking through the trees. Coming up to the base (which had supplies and stuff in it) I was able set up a sync shot with the guards at the front door, and my AI buddies actually took them out all the way from the ridge about 420m away.

SomTervo

The feeling of planning your approach for each mission and having cool unexpected stuff happen is definitely there. It's definitely the same kind of sandbox mission game. This is even true for random outposts you attack.

Cool story: Got a story mission where I had to get to that burned down village. Nearby where I was was a helicopter in an UNIDAD base. Silently cleared the base and took the chopper (sync shot works really well). Approaching the village I saw it was on cliff at the end of a ridge, the ridge was heavily forested though so I had the whole team hop out and parachute down onto it (leaving the chopper to just crash) so we could approach the village from the back of the church on the cliff, to the rear of the enemy.

After I did that mission there was a base with a skill point and another chopper nearby. From the top of the ridge I could get a good look at it and spot all the enemies with my binoculars and thermal vision. I decided to leave the squad up on that ridge and circle around to the back of the base where the skill point was, sneaking through the trees. Coming up to the base (which had supplies and stuff in it) I was able set up a sync shot with the guards at the front door, and my AI buddies actually took them out all the way from the ridge about 420m away.

I really enjoy it too - and hate to break your immersion, but Sync Shot is a magic bullet. The enemies just die no matter where your teammates are. Your teammates might be through a forest, behind a building, on the other side of a mountain, and they will still headshot the enemy you've tagged perfectly.

That said - yeah I think stealth in this game is great.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really enjoy it too - and hate to break your immersion, but Sync Shot is a magic bullet. The enemies just die no matter where your teammates are. Your teammates might be through a forest, behind a building, on the other side of a mountain, and they will still headshot the enemy you've tagged perfectly.

That said - yeah I think stealth in this game is great.
I've actually seen them miss the sync shot, but I'm not sure what happened.

SomTervo

mikeGFG

Banned
Must have posted in the wrong thread earlier. But does anyone else find the game way too easy on the Extreme difficulty?

Also, is there any kind of competitive mode or zone?

Played about an hour last night on PS4 on normal. To preface, I don't generally care for 'modern war' stuff and I usually find Tom Clancy media painfully po-faced.

• I played almost entirely online with a couple of other guys who were playing properly (no comms), and for the most part it was very fun. Just pissing around, getting different vehicles and racing across the map with other people was enjoyable and silly.
  • Controls don't feel quite as slick as I feel they should, and I can't quite place my finger on why. Feels perhaps a touch spongy and unresponsive.
  • The vehicles feel pretty bad, have no weight to them and have way too much understeer. Why is it that Ubisoft owns Reflections - the creators of Driver, for fuck's sake! - and yet the driving in their games is always awful?!
  • I really like the character creator. My female soldier looked badass.
  • The game world feels a bit empty and pointless. I would much prefer it if the map were smaller but felt a bit more populated and meaningful. I only did a couple of story missions and a bunch of attacking smaller bases/stealing stuff for the rebels, but travelling long distances across the map felt kind of tedious after the first couple of times. I know you can fast travel but that always seems like a bit of a cop-out in open world games. Make the map meaningful and fun to travel across, like GTAV. As someone else pointed out, there are an awful lot of helicopter peppered around, which feels like the devs acknowledging the over-large map.
  • I feel like co-op is integral to this game; play with friends on comms and it will be a blast, but play with randoms or AI and it'll feel dull and sometimes frustrating. I was playing with two guys and they started pissing around after we'd finished a mission, so I set a waypoint and went off by myself to tackle another mission. Felt kind of pointless doing stuff without like-minded folk.
  • The world is repetitive and missions also feel very repetitive. Feels like they needed to inject more variety in them - although I hope I'm wrong, as this is based on only a very small sample obviously.
  • Enemy AI isn't great. I had quite a few instances where I was spotted, then ran into the grass or bushes and went prone and moved away, and AI still knew where I was from about 30 metres away even when I'd crawled away from my original location.
  • Visuals aren't great, even though the scale is impressive. I died by a group of enemies last night and didn't get revived, and while I was waiting they came prowling around near me, and character models aren't particularly good, and neither was their animation.

I think this will definitely be worth picking up if you game with a group of buddies, but aside from that I didn't think it was particularly great. The mega-huge game world might be a nice marketing bullet point, but I would much rather have a smaller, denser game world.

jem0208

Am I alone in absolutely hating this game's sound design? The weapons in particular sound hilariously bad. It's like something I'd expect to hear in some shitty F2P game from a no-name dev working on a shoestring budget.
I was just thinking the sound design is amazing.

Guns are loud and meaty and the echo is really well done. Are you using silencers?

The Aí is absurd. I man laying on the ground, sniping. All my 3 teammates are around me. Suddenly, one enemy is behind me, in the middle of us 4, and kills me. The ghosts don't kill him, they all run at the same time to revive me. Once I am alive, they are back to doing nothing again, while the guy kills me again. Mission restarts.

The ghosts see enemies but they are not marked on your radar. It could at least show an area where they might be, not the exact location (for example when they say "near the truck").

Cover is weird but not bad. They deserve a prize for having the worst driving experience ever, even worst than Sleeping Dogs. In the mission that you have to steal the sports car you get angry that you have to drive that shit, instead of excited for getting a great fast car.

I'm sure the game will be a fucking repetitive open world from Ubi. Same missions all over the map.

Lots of collision bugs. Graphics are OK (or worse). Dialogar is terrible (both the script and the voices).

With all that said, the game is still fun because it's a good idea. If I won't get it on release, or when it's half price, but when it's 20 or 15, if a friend was to it too, I can take it.

7-8/10

I am so perplexed how you can give a game 7/8 out of 10 after everything you just said about it.

Everything's more fun in co-op and this game is no exception. There are a bunch of stuff I wish it did better, but it's hilarious with 1-3 friends, the scale is immense, and you can sometimes find yourself in some big rolling action sequences comprised of lots of small decisions that snowball into a real mess. The second area they opened for this beta looks great as well. The fields and canyon deep bases make approaches a little more risky, especially with the patrolling Unidad helos and SAM sites.

Peroroncino

This. Give me traditional Ghost Recon with large arenas to develop different avenues of approach over clearing one outpost and then another outpost and then another with world traversal being an utter chore.

Also, this. How the hell is there no stealth kill mechanic?

They gave you exactly that, sure there are outposts, but there also are, cities, military bases, villages, even undergrounds... You have a total freedom in apporach, sniping, cqc, sync-shotting, guns blazing with vehicles, without, complete stealth etc.

Also, there is stealth kill mechanic, aside from sync-shots, you can apporach a dude and press R3 to eliminate him quietly or hold Square to grab the dude, I bet it's relative on Xbox, not sure what you need to press on PC.

Apdiddy

It's not really a Ghost Recon game. It sorta feels like Just Cause 2/3 but with co-op missions and SOCOM gameplay. I like the stealth but even with the first two missions I did, the enemies are absurdly aware of everything.

The joke about the two Marines and the Army guy had me howling though.

I'll definitely get it but considering I haven't finished The Division yet (different type of game but I can only do one open-world Ubisoft game at a time), it'll be around Black Friday/when it's less than $40.

fast_taker

what this game really needs is better pc optimization.
I have an i7 7700K, 16GB of ram and msi gaming x 1070.
I set all graphic options to highest levels and 1080p resolution and the framerate was between 45-50fps.

Gears of war 4 which is much more impressive visually is constantly above 80fps with ultra/insane graphic settings.

Hystzen

Game clicked more when raiding FOB Armadillo sneaking around marking while using team to take out snipers. When the ai and game works how it should it marvellous but geez it rough needs a delay to patch up and tweak up

SomTervo

Must have posted in the wrong thread earlier. But does anyone else find the game way too easy on the Extreme difficulty?

Also, is there any kind of competitive mode or zone?

Yeah, it's not hard, but at least Extreme demands you use stealth for a while or you'll get cut up.

They're patching competitive in at a later date.

These are my two cents.

- First of all it seems that the majority of people not satisfied with the game are console users. I'm playing on pc, 2560*1080 21:9, all ultra minus draw distance and distance shadows to high. 3770K @ 4.6ghz, 16GB and GTX 980Ti. Averaging 50fps, sometimes i hit 60+ but i never go below 45fps, which is fine for me.

- Game is fun, but not alone. In group, as other adviced, at least with another friend. We are a group of 4, we spent alot of time planning and coordinating how to take on an enemy outpost or a particular zone, trying to split roles and objectives. IT IS fun in this way. As other games such The Division, playing it along could be rather boring. I like the chatter of the teammates, but they keep being just lifeless. Beside the jokes, which are horrible, they are just mannequins sometimes. When you unlock the 4 sync shoots things get better, but still, alone in such a huge world is bad. And you feel alone. Alot.

- AI it's not always so stupid, at least the enemies. They take cover, call for backup, do some manouvers, things like that. Sometimes engaging an open fight it's not the smartest thing to do, also their bullets could easily kill you with one shot. You have to take countermeasures or play it tactically.

- Frankly the game is stunning. Not always, but sometimes it draws some beatifuly landscapes. In the new region, at dawn under a storm, in the middle of nowhere, it was breath taking. At max settings it really impress me most of the times.
I do agree tho that some ambients are just bland, like there some sort of discrepancy between assets or general arts. But generally speaking, it's great.

- Never had a problem with input lag, issues, or whatever. Playing with Mouse and Keyboard. Gunplay is great, feeling is great, customization of both character and weaponry great as well. So far i've seen people complaining about input lag or latency, but i think it's something related to gamepads. On PC, for my experience, is perfect. Quick response.

- Driving and Flying has been improved alot since last betas. Before cars and planes/copters felt without physics or heavyness of some sort. Things got better; i can enjoy different types of rides, they feel very different now. Sports cars are quick, suvs are slow but have great climbing ability and so on. Helis are fun to fly around, i like the easy system since simulation shouldn't even be an option in these games. It's more easy to fly those here that on GTA as an example.

- Generally speaking the sound is nothing spectacular. The radiochatter is fun and original, but also boring as hell. But giving the context, i think it's appropriate; probably i would hate the real radio stations if those are like the ones depicted in the game.There's no variety however, so thats bad, i never turned off an ingame radio in open world games, but i found myself doing this regularly here.
However, the ambient sounds are amazing. Rain, thunderstorms, storms, vegetation and fauna are great. Very immersive.

- Peds are plain stupid, with a retarded AI. No interaction whatsover, they get constantly run over by NPC cars, and when they are in a small town they just do nothing. They don't interact at all with you, or with themselves. Things that normally happens in GTAV or Watch Dogs 2 aren't really a thing here: they are lifeless placeholders. Very bad, it breaks the immersion alot.

- Yeah rebels activities are repetitve and boring. I know. If you do this alone, it will bore you to death. At least with some friends added in, things get more funnier and actually you can enjoy them.

So bottom line: if you have friends to play this with, go for it. It's hell of a fun, and even if the repeated rebels "quests" are boring as hell, the mechanic and the gameplay makes it funny and enjoyable with other team mates. Specially because you can choose how to approach every situation they way you like.

After three betas, since i had discounts to use, i got the collector editions preordered. My three friends as well. This is going to be fun!

Tecnniqe

Banned
These are my two cents.

- First of all it seems that the majority of people not satisfied with the game are console users. I'm playing on pc, 2560*1080 21:9, all ultra minus draw distance and distance shadows to high. 3770K @ 4.6ghz, 16GB and GTX 980Ti. Averaging 50fps, sometimes i hit 60+ but i never go below 45fps, which is fine for me.

- Game is fun, but not alone. In group, as other adviced, at least with another friend. We are a group of 4, we spent alot of time planning and coordinating how to take on an enemy outpost or a particular zone, trying to split roles and objectives. IT IS fun in this way. As other games such The Division, playing it along could be rather boring. I like the chatter of the teammates, but they keep being just lifeless. Beside the jokes, which are horrible, they are just mannequins sometimes. When you unlock the 4 sync shoots things get better, but still, alone in such a huge world is bad. And you feel alone. Alot.

- AI it's not always so stupid, at least the enemies. They take cover, call for backup, do some manouvers, things like that. Sometimes engaging an open fight it's not the smartest thing to do, also their bullets could easily kill you with one shot. You have to take countermeasures or play it tactically.

- Frankly the game is stunning. Not always, but sometimes it draws some beatifuly landscapes. In the new region, at dawn under a storm, in the middle of nowhere, it was breath taking. At max settings it really impress me most of the times.
I do agree tho that some ambients are just bland, like there some sort of discrepancy between assets or general arts. But generally speaking, it's great.

- Never had a problem with input lag, issues, or whatever. Playing with Mouse and Keyboard. Gunplay is great, feeling is great, customization of both character and weaponry great as well. So far i've seen people complaining about input lag or latency, but i think it's something related to gamepads. On PC, for my experience, is perfect. Quick response.

- Driving and Flying has been improved alot since last betas. Before cars and planes/copters felt without physics or heavyness of some sort. Things got better; i can enjoy different types of rides, they feel very different now. Sports cars are quick, suvs are slow but have great climbing ability and so on. Helis are fun to fly around, i like the easy system since simulation shouldn't even be an option in these games. It's more easy to fly those here that on GTA as an example.

- Generally speaking the sound is nothing spectacular. The radiochatter is fun and original, but also boring as hell. But giving the context, i think it's appropriate; probably i would hate the real radio stations if those are like the ones depicted in the game.There's no variety however, so thats bad, i never turned off an ingame radio in open world games, but i found myself doing this regularly here.
However, the ambient sounds are amazing. Rain, thunderstorms, storms, vegetation and fauna are great. Very immersive.

- Peds are plain stupid, with a retarded AI. No interaction whatsover, they get constantly run over by NPC cars, and when they are in a small town they just do nothing. They don't interact at all with you, or with themselves. Things that normally happens in GTAV or Watch Dogs 2 aren't really a thing here: they are lifeless placeholders. Very bad, it breaks the immersion alot.

- Yeah rebels activities are repetitve and boring. I know. If you do this alone, it will bore you to death. At least with some friends added in, things get more funnier and actually you can enjoy them.

So bottom line: if you have friends to play this with, go for it. It's hell of a fun, and even if the repeated rebels "quests" are boring as hell, the mechanic and the gameplay makes it funny and enjoyable with other team mates. Specially because you can choose how to approach every situation they way you like.

After three betas, since i had discounts to use, i got the collector editions preordered. My three friends as well. This is going to be fun!
I got the deluxe but I can agree on this.
Was 3 of us playing and then Tova joined us. Me being the notorious driver I am decided to let others drive the sports vehicle from one of the missions, suddenly I didn't look so bad as a driver since Tova was shaking his head and my 2 other friends kept destroying the car because it went too fast and flipped it etc etc :D

Many a laughs.

killroy87

I feel like this will be The Crew of Ubi action yes, in that it's ambitious but hanky as all hell, and you kinda need to take a lot of bad with the good. But there's definitely enjoyment to be had here.

Tovarisc

I'm playing the PC version, still having the same issue from the closed beta.

The game remembers the last aim that you toggled. So if you aimed in first person view the last time you used a gun, it will remember that view and not the one you actually prefer.

I know. It's setting. I really don't understand why this is an issue? Well sure it's odd to have preference in Options when you actually set preference in-game, weapon by weapon.

The graphics certainly arent awful but those screenshots are hella cherry picked

Moment to moment gameplay shots from closed beta, open beta has been touched up and improved since.
All those shots are from "Hey, this spot looks nice. Lets screenshot it" and I didn't go out of my way to look for spots, angles etc. Game is far from bad looking.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I know. It's setting. I really don't understand why this is an issue? Well sure it's odd to have preference in Options when you actually set preference in-game, weapon by weapon.

Moment to moment gameplay shots from closed beta, open beta has been touched up and improved since.
All those shots are from "Hey, this spot looks nice. Lets screenshot it" and I didn't go out of my way to look for spots, angles etc. Game is far from bad looking.
Tova plis, those are so upscaled and downscaled left and right from 20k to avoid it looking like a PS2 game lel 😉

the game nails the atmosphere and it looks gorgeous at times so I agree

SomTervo

I'm playing the PC version, still having the same issue from the closed beta.

The game remembers the last aim that you toggled. So if you aimed in first person view the last time you used a gun, it will remember that view and not the one you actually prefer.

It takes approximately 15 seconds to go into the menu and change this setting so it remembers your preference across all guns.

ryousuke

Once you complete the 5-6 original-area missions it unlocks a whole new region for you. Don't think anyone here has posted impressions yet.

You don't have to complete the Itacua missions, you can go straight to new region and start missions there if you want.

Just got done with a 2 hour session with 2 other friends. I'm in years from laughing so much. Didn't get a lot done but had a blast fucking around. Way different experience than playing solo or matchmaking. This game is meant to be played with friends for sure. Good stuff.
Same here. Game is better with friends. Me and 2 of my buddies just ended doing some crazy stuff getting the map stuff to open up. At one point he was in a trunk and we snuck in to an area and he popped the trunk open and started shooting. But i have the same issues with going to the second area where the missions still feel the same as the first.

I think Ill be waiting on a sale and it's PVP launch. So strange that they made Rainbow Six a competitive centric game and this just a Far Cry clone. Both being the exact opposite of one another

Top Bottom