• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Meneses

Not really excited about this Playdate.

Games like this are always boring to watch, regardless of the quality,
and Deus Ex is very boring.

Badoink

Banned
They were at PAX during the weekend and had a panel there (video is on the site), but in the last couple of days they had QLs for Mother Russia Bleeds, Picross 3D: Round 2, The Final Station, Attack on Titan, Alone With You and that Metroid Prime game. Those are all current releases.
They also started an Endurance Run of Shenmue and did a stream for the Sony press conference.

A new Beastcast came out today and the Bombcast, as ususal, on tuesday.

So yeah, not sure how you got that impression.

Maybe you're right... I just looked at the RSS channel and it seems like there's one piece of content every couple of day if you exclude the podcasts and Endurance Run, but I guess the RSS doesn't get the Premium stuff.

Also, what's the Playdate thing?

Hindl

Maybe you're right... I just looked at the RSS channel and it seems like there's one piece of content every couple of day if you exclude the podcasts and Endurance Run, but I guess the RSS doesn't get the Premium stuff.

Just a livestream where Vinny and Alex will play a game for a little over an hour

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure about the RSS feed, but their youtube channel had six uploads in a day. This might actually be a new record lol

BEAST usually plays a game before UPF starts. It used to be a game the community chose but they changed it to their choices instead.

Guys, is Giant Bomb... doing well?

I used to watch them a lot during early days, but then I found a job (and their videos are reaaaally long, lol) and kinda drifted away.

I'm back now thanks to the Shenmue run (which is great so far) but I looked around and all I see are some late quick locks and podcasts about things not related to games at all.

How many people do they employ now? Like 6-7? And this is all we get? This kinda seems like a dying website or at least a troubled one.

So, how are things?

The site's doing fine. They're about as big as you said, although they're looking to hire another editor for the West. If anything, there's just been a few people here and there (myself included) that think they haven't been getting their money's worth on the premium side lately.

I would have liked a compilation Playdate today personally...

Turning Test, Valley, Karazhan, Virginia (Demo)

...basically the stuff they missed cause of PAX.

It's actually impressive just how bad the voice acting in Shenmue is. Every time you think you've heard the goofiest voice the game has to offer, it one-ups itself.

You have terrible taste sir.

I would prefer it to be the original though, just cos that's a bit more interesting as I've only just finished Mankind Divided so it's fresh in my mind (and it's kinda an episode of Random PC Game then too!)

I strongly disagree, looking forward to it a lot :). Great game and I'm sure Vinny will make it entertaining as usual!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to watch Vinny mess around in Deus Ex. That game is great, and playing it is awesome should be perfect for general Vinny fuckery.

The Shenmue endurance is frustrating. Watching people who don't know how to play Shenmue, not bother to learn how to play Shenmue, and then go "this game sucks" makes me want to punch a wall. Wanted to give Giant Bomb a chance with this but their lack of basic game skills gets in the way of enjoyment like usual. Such an awful site.

I don't want to dogpile, but I'm genuinely curious as to how one "plays" Shenmue any differently than the GB guys are, which is basically wandering around asking people about vague leads until you luck into finding the right character to move the plot forward. Seems to be exactly how I remember playing that game, at least.

bigkrev

Is the Video Buddy app on iOS having issues for anyone else? It keeps telling me I can't download the Endurance Run episode because I need to be logged in. I disconnected and reconnected my account (I'm a member through 2017), but that didn't fix the problem

Yeah, watching the ER just shows me how much worse Shenmue is compared to when I remember playing. I actually enjoyed it (or I suppose thought I enjoyed it) quite a bit when I was a kid, but this is pretty rough.

Still enjoying the ER though, watching Vinny descend into madness is always entertaining.

Man, I should plug my way through one of the Deadly Premonition ERs again, I don't think I've watched the whole thing since they first aired it, which is about when I got into Giant Bomb in the first place. What a weird, flawed, cool game. I hope Swery gets to make a game again, last I heard he was taking a break after D4 flopped.

repeater

I don't want to dogpile, but I'm genuinely curious as to how one "plays" Shenmue any differently than the GB guys are, which is basically wandering around asking people about vague leads until you luck into finding the right character to move the plot forward. Seems to be exactly how I remember playing that game, at least.
Don't look into the thread for the ER in the gaming section. It kinda brings to mind Jeff's description of what Sega fans were like back in the day.

Is the Video Buddy app on iOS having issues for anyone else? It keeps telling me I can't download the Endurance Run episode because I need to be logged in. I disconnected and reconnected my account (I'm a member through 2017), but that didn't fix the problem
I'm using Video Buddy on Android and I've been having trouble playing videos all week. They stutter and load constantly and are virtually unplayable which never happens normally. Maybe some weirdness with the API going on?

Episode 6 is one of the funniest pieces of content GB has ever produced. Holy shit.
Yeah it's had stuttering playback for me for awhile. Luckily the ER is on YouTube.

The Shenmue endurance is frustrating. Watching people who don't know how to play Shenmue, not bother to learn how to play Shenmue, and then go "this game sucks" makes me want to punch a wall. Wanted to give Giant Bomb a chance with this but their lack of basic game skills gets in the way of enjoyment like usual. Such an awful site.
You get angry at how people play and enjoy video games. The site was pretty much never for you in the first place if you can't handle that. If you need a place to validate your opinions or cheerlead what you personally like then I'm sure there are many outlets that can provide that.

Shenmue has aged horribly. Video games aren't usually like films in that there is a timelessness to them. I can appreciate the innovation of the game considering when it was produced but there is no aspect of this game that actually holds up anymore. Things that were novel in 2000 aren't in 2016. The writing is poor. The voice acting is poor. You're essentially playing a wild goose chase for 20 hours. The gameplay that is there is pretty underwhelming.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What are you actually meant to do though?

Like, is there something they can do while waiting for event to trigger that they're missing? That aren't shitty minigames?

Space Harrier isn't a shitty minigame!

They could feed the cat and stuff and play mahjong. Explore their house, use the zoom button to interact with more stuff.

If you practice your fighting moves they level up too.

It's not loads but they are kind of annoying themselves by being so focused on the one story beat to advance. I get it, and it's not annoying me watching, but the game was way less frustrating for me when I played it.

I think my rhythm was find where I was going and what time and then just go around the 4 or 5 things you can do in each district, find fighting scrolls etc until the time was up.

Dineren

Banned
I think time is skippable in Shenmue 2 by the way.

I enjoyed 2 a lot more but I think I might be in the minority on that.

It is skippable and I'm pretty sure the consensus is that 2 is much better, though I still prefer 1. The time waiting never really bothered me since I carried my save over to 2 I spent that time making sure I could grab as much stuff as possible and training my skills as high as they could go (though I don't remember if the skills carried over).

I'm still enjoying watching them play regardless of their difficulties.

I don't remember shenmue being this bad.
I've watched other playthroughs of Shenmue, including ones where the participants are actively drinking and the effects become apparent, and I feel like GB's has been the least eventful one I've seen yet.

I'm the kinda guy who felt twinges of schadenfreude at the torments of the Shenmue fanbase over the decade, and has severe skepticism about Shenmue III, but I dunno, like I said in the other thread it feels like they're trying to brute force their way through the game and the result is obvious.

I haven't watched todays ER episode but definitely have enjoyed watching the others a lot. I never played Shenmue but it definitely hasn't aged well haha.

Watching the Mother Russia Bleeds Quick Look, due to his cold (or whatever his ailment is) Jeff at times almost starts sounding like Brad. It's weird!

Scizzy

Throughout Dan's tenure at GBeast, I've been anxiously waiting to see if he, being someone who is not prone to impressions, would ever do a goofy voice along with Vinny and Alex, people who do goofy voices about 30% of the time. Finally, during episode one of the ER, Dan did an impression of one of the terrible voice actors and made a joke about caffeine! I thought I would have to wait months for this seminal moment to occur.

Top Bottom