• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

I'm still enjoying watching them play regardless of their difficulties.

Yeah same and it's probably the worst game ever to play in a social setting so god speed to them for continuing to have fun.

I've watched other playthroughs of Shenmue, including ones where the participants are actively drinking and the effects become apparent, and I feel like GB's has been the least eventful one I've seen yet.

I'm the kinda guy who felt twinges of schadenfreude at the torments of the Shenmue fanbase over the decade, and has severe skepticism about Shenmue III, but I dunno, like I said in the other thread it feels like they're trying to brute force their way through the game and the result is obvious.

I hope Vinny relaxes slightly and they don't become so obsessed with the latest note in their notebook.

The game was designed to just take things slow (for better or worse) and see where it goes.

Either that or Vinny descends further into madness.

I never used the mark ability. I actually disabled it in favor of remote hacking.

I think the only ability I really used was peak around a corner so that a guard saw me for a second then use a corner takedown to instantly incapacitate/hide them when they came over to inspect it. The AI was so bad in this game.

justjim89

I think the only ability I really used was peak around a corner so that a guard saw me for a second then use a corner takedown to instantly incapacitate/hide them when they came over to inspect it. The AI was so bad in this game.

I mean, a stealth game really has to toe a line in terms of realistic AI. A stealth game with perfectly realistic AI would be downright impossible.

jmood88

The questions Dan asked about rent-to-own and payday lending places and the comments he made are exactly why I can't stand his ass.

jaina

Is the Video Buddy app on iOS having issues for anyone else? It keeps telling me I can't download the Endurance Run episode because I need to be logged in. I disconnected and reconnected my account (I'm a member through 2017), but that didn't fix the problem
are you trying HD? that quality had some publishing issues on Shenmue EP. 6, maybe that's the reason?

I mean, a stealth game really has to toe a line in terms of realistic AI. A stealth game with perfectly realistic AI would be downright impossible.

I think a stealth game where you can just lead a room of guards one by one to their disposal with zero effort and zero reaction from the remaining patrols is terrible. I know it's always been a thing in 3D games, however after the release of titles like Invible Inc. which goes out of its way to make stealth stressful but achievable I don't think that kind of design should be tolerated.

I feel like guards should have gone into search mode as soon as they noticed a missing member of their team and shouldn't leave that mode until they find one, then they should never leave alert mode once they figured out somebody was there. It wouldn't have made the game impossible (even the Arkham games did something along these lines) and would have made stealth a whole lot less boring.

jmood88

You really hate Dan asking questions about things, don't you

Yes, I hate him asking stupid questions. He's a grown-ass man with the life experience of a child and somehow doesn't understand how dumb and severely out-of-touch he sounds when he's discussing anything beyond wrestling and video games.

Doop

Yes, I hate him asking stupid questions. He's a grown-ass man with the life experience of a child and somehow doesn't understand how dumb and severely out-of-touch he sounds when he's discussing anything beyond wrestling and video games.

Hey man at least he has the courage to ask. He's not afraid of sounding dumb and he gets to learn in the process.

At least he asks questions so he can learn about stuff. Getting mad about it is pretty ridiculous.

FStop7

Banned
I have to take back what I previously posted about installments on smartphones being a bad idea. In my defense, I really didn't understand that the carriers are offering trade in values and incentives that are magic fairy dust good.

Real Hero

it's great because he often makes them all seem quite daft on certain subjects

jmood88

Being willing to admit when you don't know something is such a better personality trait than getting angry at people willing to ask questions.

At least he asks questions so he can learn about stuff. Getting mad about it is pretty ridiculous.
Oh lord, I don't care about him asking questions, I'm annoyed by the simple things he has no interest in looking up himself but always has an ignorant comment about. Saying, "well that's just dumb" about people who have to use payday lending or have gone to a rent-to-own place isn't merely asking a harmless question to increase his knowledge and he does that all the damn time.

justjim89

Oh lord, I don't care about him asking questions, I'm annoyed by the simple things he has no interest in looking up himself but always has an ignorant comment about. Saying, "well that's just dumb" about people who have to use payday lending or have gone to a rent-to-own place isn't merely asking a harmless question to increase his knowledge and he does that all the damn time.

"I don't get it! Why take food money from the state when you could just get a job and buy your own food? It seems dumb."

then he gets the answer to that and looks like a bigger fool (until he gets it or gives up)

no need for anger i say *shrug*

You don't have to call me Lord.

Av7hgAs.png

jmood88

then he gets the answer to that and looks like a bigger fool (until he gets it or gives up)

no need for anger i say *shrug*
There's no anger, I'm irritated and a little sad that we'll be going from a thoughtful person like Austin to Dan the Ignoramous. I was able to avoid him for a year by just skipping all the west coast content but it'll be harder to do that now.

Zaph

There's no anger, I'm irritated and a little sad that we'll be going from a thoughtful person like Austin to Dan the Ignoramous. I was able to avoid him for a year by just skipping all the west coast content but it'll be harder to do that now.

Look on the bright side, now you get to watch GBWest's content again without getting a bee in your bonnet.

I always find it hilarious for a guy who loves America so much to not get how his country's economy operates on the basics of borrowing, lending , handouts, etc and why people will use those avenues as presented.

well by early next year at least you wont have to worry....unless you like GBEAST content. :p

(he's permanently moving to NYC).

Also an ignoramous can always learn eventually. :D

Mr. F

Banned
I was similarly gunning for Austin's replacement to keep up the level of discussion that the Beastcast had reached during his time there, but maybe the west coast hire will fill that niche. I hope they're aware a lot of people dug the voice Austin brought to the site.

That aside, I think it'll be beneficial in the long run. Vinny matches Dan's enthusiasm for making content, and I get the sense that energy will lead to a lot more new/one off premium features.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The thing I don't get about Dan is how he can be so curious and ask questions all the time and still don't know about super common things. Did he learn to do it when he was 25 or something? Did he live in a bunker? A lab?

Top Bottom