• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Try comparing them when they are equally popular. It's time to understand that Halo isn't what it used to be.

A free PC version of Multiplayer Halo is the only way Halo could maybe establish itself organically in the esport scene, without MS burning more money to get people to like it.

The type of person to play PC shooters at an eSports level would play Halo for like five minutes before going back to something like CS:GO or Overwatch.

A free-to-play PC Halo would probably be a success, but I think Halo as it exists today has run its course on the eSports circuit. You're not getting that audience back without either bringing Halo as a whole back in vogue or substantially changing what it is for a PC audience.

oti

Banned
The type of person to play PC shooters at an eSports level would play Halo for like five minutes before going back to something like CS:GO or Overwatch.

A free-to-play PC Halo would probably be a success, but I think Halo as it exists today has run its course on the eSports circuit. You're not getting that audience back without either bringing Halo as a whole back in vogue or substantially changing what it is for a PC audience.

Halo has run its course in general. Halo 5 was either bad or people just don't care anymore. MS needs to take risks with that franchise in order to make it relevant in a bigger sense again. A F2P Halo could also exist next to another AAA spectacle if 343 is up to the task that is. It would help to get the name out there again.

You know what, reboot everything.

Halo has run its course in general. Halo 5 was either bad or people just don't care anymore. MS needs to take risks with that franchise in order to make it relevant in a bigger sense again. A F2P Halo could also exist next to another AAA spectacle if 343 is up to the task that is. It would help to get the name out there again.

I can see them turning Halo into an open world kind of thing, but I don't know if that'd be a terrible mistake or not.

You know what, reboot everything.

They're trying.

oti

Banned
I can see them turning Halo into an open world kind of thing, but I don't know if that'd be a terrible mistake or not.

They're trying.

EVERYTHING.

Forget Master Chief and Cortana or whatever. Those weird alien races and all those books. It's just noise at this point. Go back to the basics. Modernize it. I remember when Ryan Payton left 343 because they didn't want to change Halo too much. Maybe they should've.

But yes. I mean, it's easy to just shout REBOOT EVERYTHING AND MAKE IT BETTER on a message board. Actually doing that is a completely different story and it could fail miserably.

No pressure, 343.

Gandie

Shooters have always had a weird time as a spectator sport. While the mechanics are clearer and readily understandable, the macro level and swings of gameplay are just visually harder to see or appreciate. It's not like a fighting game where you see the other player getting juggled or bounced around or in DotA where you just see a team getting blown up and wiped out or a tense chase. Shooters are trickier to appreciate in that manner.

I spent a lot of time watching competitive Halo 3 and while it was fun times, I can certainly see the barrier from a spectators' view.

That's why I was talking about Halo 5 specifically. Halo 3 was far easier on the eyes. Halo 5 looks like a failed mix of Halo and CoD with terrible weapon and hit noises and reduced TTK. Not the Halo I love.

Jintor

I'm not entirely sure but mostly the sidequest stuff to date has just been 'okay-to-great' writing while not really doing too much interesting gameplay wise. You do get some cool archives once in a while.

The main game, though... man from route C onwards that game is fucking bonkers intense.

I really hope one or two of them finish that game. If Austin was still with East that would be amaaaaaaaaaazing. I hope Patrick can get Austin really in on Automata, I think he would dig the shit out of the themes its exploring and the completely nutso stuff it does with the medium near the end of it.

Gotta go find a decent Nier LP and see what that jazz was all about

Film & 40s: John Woo films

There you go.

Hoo boy, Hard Boiled is the GOAT

tumblr_oc615vgT0h1tbcweeo1_400.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Decided to mainline nier because fuck it, that's the most interesting part.

I do not believe anyone who finished ending a and call it a day can actually be satisfied at this game. There's way too many things left unexplored.

Whew, that credit song though. I need to get this soundtrack.

Also as much as i really love the story themes and beats i must say 2b and 9s really needs more stable character arcs. But this is only for ending a. I'll see how the game goes from here!

edit: Ok the gag ending I got early on starting the 2nd playthrough is pretty fucking hilarious.

kai3345

Banned
Decided to mainline nier because fuck it, that's the most interesting part.

I do not believe anyone who finished ending a and call it a day can actually be satisfied at this game. There's way too many things left unexplored.

Whew, that credit song though. I need to get this soundtrack.

Also as much as i really love the story themes and beats i must say 2b and 9s really needs more stable character arcs. But this is only for ending a. I'll see how the game goes from here!

edit: Ok the gag ending I got early on starting the 2nd playthrough is pretty fucking hilarious.

Did you feel like you were underleveled or anything by just mainlining the story? I'd love to skip these boring sidequests if I can

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Did you feel like you were underleveled or anything by just mainlining the story? I'd love to skip these boring sidequests if I can

No, i just bought a crap load of recovery items lmao.

Even then though i don't find it particularly hard or anything, but the battles are still pretty fun.

I... Honestly can't feel the effects of leveling that much? It's mostly been chip management. Unlocking more chip space is the key, and that's based on his much money you have, not leveling.

kai3345

Banned
No, i just bought a crap load of recovery items lmao.

Even then though i don't find it particularly hard or anything, but the battles are still pretty fun.

I... Honestly can't feel the effects of leveling that much? It's mostly been chip management. Unlocking more chip space is the key, and that's based on his much money you have, not leveling.

Do you have to go somewhere to buy more chip space?

I just beat the castle and only very recently even realized how to equip chips lol

Zaph

Do you have to go somewhere to buy more chip space?

You might not have the Resistance base npc yet, so check out the bunker - behind one of the big doors (not the command HQ and not the hanger) is an NPC who'll sell you space.

Not sure why their own organisation would sell them the ability to be a better solider, but hey, video games.

Teddified

Beastcast needs Jeff G to school them on cheat engine. cuz...god...there better be corrections about it next week.

Vinny must be haunted from Euro Truck Simulator and the million download buttons.

Same, I think all leveling up does is give you a small boost to your max HP. Upgrading weaponry feels like the only way to make yourself more powerful, even weapons I have found out in the world are at roughly the same base damage as the starting weapons.

Nerokis

So I was thinking earlier that it feels like I've put a good amount of time into Zelda, and it's kinda ridiculous that I still have 5 unexplored maps. I mean, what, 30, 40, 50 hours later, and I still have so much left to do?

I decided to check the Wii U logs, and...apparently I've put 81 hours into the game. What the fuck?

At least a couple hours of that is idle time (also, does the Wii U count time spent suspended after hitting the Home button?), but either way, I can't remember the last time a game felt this fresh and open after spending 80ish hours with it. Completely threw off my sense of time.

Top Bottom