• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Alfredo

Just finished Fast Five, and, holy crap, what a movie!

I also just learned that the series is called "Wild Speed" in Japan, and Fast Five is specifically "Wild Speed Mega Max."

I want this poster.

VzSvePm.jpg

Zocano

Competitive Halo 5 looks terrible.

Shooters have always had a weird time as a spectator sport. While the mechanics are clearer and readily understandable, the macro level and swings of gameplay are just visually harder to see or appreciate. It's not like a fighting game where you see the other player getting juggled or bounced around or in DotA where you just see a team getting blown up and wiped out or a tense chase. Shooters are trickier to appreciate in that manner.

I spent a lot of time watching competitive Halo 3 and while it was fun times, I can certainly see the barrier from a spectators' view.

Shooters have always had a weird time as a spectator sport. While the mechanics are clearer and readily understandable, the macro level and swings of gameplay are just visually harder to see or appreciate. It's not like a fighting game where you see the other player getting juggled or bounced around or in DotA where you just see a team getting blown up and wiped out or a tense chase. Shooters are trickier to appreciate in that manner.

I spent a lot of time watching competitive Halo 3 and while it was fun times, I can certainly see the barrier from a spectators' view.

Competitive Halo 3 was far easier to watch and appreciate than something like, say, Counter Strike.

The higher TTK lead to interesting spectator moments. Greanted, I'm more than likely biased because I don't play CS and Halo 3 is probably my favorite game of all time.

Zocano

The higher TTK lead to interesting spectator moments. Greanted, I'm more than likely biased because I don't play CS and Halo 3 is probably my favorite game of all time.

Shit, right, I was in the middle of the write up and had completely forgotten to mention that. Halo having a slower TTK totally helps it more on a spectator level versus Counter Strike or Quake/UT.

Shit, right, I was in the middle of the write up and had completely forgotten to mention that. Halo having a slower TTK totally helps it more on a spectator level versus Counter Strike or Quake/UT.

That's why I never get when people hate on slow TTKs. Halo gun battles were like a ballet at high levels. I always liked it.

Zocano

That's why I never get when people hate on slow TTKs. Halo gun battles were like a ballet at high levels. I always liked it.

So goooooooood. I loved watching Halo 3 competitive almost as much as I did playing it.

People seem to be completely fine with spectating CSGO now though.

I haven't kept up with the actual competitive scene but following just one streamer and their viewpoint works totally fine for shooters cause you're always just watching them play. When you switch to trying to follow a whole team? And then switching between 2 teams and their positioning and fast gameplay moments? I think that's just much harder to keep track for the spectator (as the camera man).

Tagyhag

People seem to be completely fine with spectating CSGO now though.

Fast paced action will always be more interesting for people to watch in general.

Especially when you have pros who use a mouse compared to those who use controllers, the reaction/speed/accuracy gap is huge.

pizzacat

Banned
Boring ass sfv got views on ESPN so like who knows what people like

I'm a weirdo tho because I can watch some cvs2 without getting bored at character, groove and ratio selection

StoveOven

Banned
Fighting games are really the only sort of esports that I can watch because the matches are short enough to stay interesting and my brain can process "dudes punching each other and life bars going down".

I've gotten to ending A in Nier Automata and the game is still pretty disappointing coming from the first Nier. Dull characters, a dull setting, terrible antagonists (those twins..ugh), and an open world that is largely meaningless. Hopefully that really was just the prologue because I keep waiting for Yoko Taro stuff to happen. Right now it feels like Nier with a worse cast of characters and better combat (but less weird genre mashing).

Jintor

I've gotten to ending A in Nier Automata and the game is still pretty disappointing coming from the first Nier. Dull characters, a dull setting, terrible antagonists (those twins..ugh), and an open world that is largely meaningless. Hopefully that really was just the prologue because I keep waiting for Yoko Taro stuff to happen. Right now it feels like Nier with a worse cast of characters and better combat (but less weird genre mashing).

i'll be honest legfish you have at least one more playthrough before it actually goes places. speed through b as fast as you can imho

i don't know shit about OG nier yet. Probably will watch a playthrough after.

i'll be honest legfish you have at least one more playthrough before it actually goes places. speed through b as fast as you can imho

Should I bother with sidequests? I've done 53% of them and so far most of them have had little narrative and were just ways to get crafting materials.

tuxfool

Banned

There are sidequests in B (A too) that make a lot of sense retrospectively.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Evil Kermit is played out. It's already come and gone.

Surprised White Boy still needs his appearance on The ellen show.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They're not even the shooters that are the most popular in the scene. That would go to csgo.

Korean ocerwatch is threatening to take iver too.

oti

Banned
how dare I compare two popular multiplayer console shooters

how could they possibly have anything in common in an esports environment

Try comparing them when they are equally popular. It's time to understand that Halo isn't what it used to be.

A free PC version of Multiplayer Halo is the only way Halo could maybe establish itself organically in the esport scene, without MS burning more money to get people to like it.

They're not even the shooters that are the most popular in the scene. That would go to csgo.

Korean ocerwatch is threatening to take iver too.

Yeah. As much as MS and Activision try, they can't compete with those games. Korea has PC/esports in their culture. There's no way to penetrate that scene with a console multiplayer game.

If MS is satisfied with Halo's esports status in 2017, which they aren't, they could just keep doing the same thing. I expect them to push even harder in this direction though. In the end they want to turn everything into a service. Halo could be a great opportunity for that.

Top Bottom