• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I appreciate them getting fatigued on fucking Roguelikes as well. It's the physics/puzzle platformer of the last few years.
Gaming could lose them for a while now, there's so many other cool shit indies can do.

jaina

I just finished Persona 5 and that last boss rush + epilogue pushed it over Yakuza 0 for me. Sorry Yakuza supporters.

When I started reading your sentence I expected it to end the other way around. But ok, I also got some enjoyment out of that ending even when I preferred to skip the minor fights.

imBask

Banned

2699110-0434652790-cDpze.jpg

I love Dan being amused by comic book antagonist names like Reverse Flash and scoffing at the convention while also being one that holds a great deal of respect towards Metal Gear Solid, and, y'know, a character like Liquid Snake.

Tubobutts

I love Dan being amused by comic book antagonist names like Reverse Flash and scoffing at the convention while also being one that holds a great deal of respect towards Metal Gear Solid, and, y'know, a character like Liquid Snake.
Metal Gear is gritty and real and for cool guys Comic Books are for dork idiots.

ArjanN

I appreciate them getting fatigued on fucking Roguelikes as well. It's the physics/puzzle platformer of the last few years.
Gaming could lose them for a while now, there's so many other cool shit indies can do.

It's just something that very well suited to indie games, and you can implement it in a myriad different ways.

Besides that indie games still do tons of different cool shit. There's literally thousands of them a year.

Meneses

Solid Snake, Liquid Snake, Solidus, Revolver Ocelot, Decoy Octopus are all normal cool guy names in the greatest story ever told.

Meneses

Speaking of old games, I went to a shop yesterday and saw a version of Constructor for the PS4 which cost like 50 bucks but still looked exactly like the version I played, what, 20 years ago?

Weird thing to revive.

The thing about roguelikes is that they kinda peaked before they took off. No indie roguelike has been as good as Spelunky and FTL.

Yeah. Spelunky is the platonic ideal of a roguelike platformer (sans RPG elements) and will likely never be topped imo. It's disgustingly well-designed. FTL I'm less keen on but it's great. The whole boarding aspect never really clicked with me.

Metal Gear is gritty and real and for cool guys Comic Books are for dork idiots.

But
216001-18719-115784-1-metal-gear-solid-so.jpg

Also, holy shit, a PSP version:
latest

Yeah. Spelunky is the platonic ideal of a roguelike platformer (sans RPG elements) and will likely never be topped imo. It's disgustingly well-designed. FTL I'm less keen on but it's great. The whole boarding aspect never really clicked with me.

I'm at over 4000 deaths on the Vita version. I still play the daily.

Meguro

Banned
They somehow managed to ruin Borderlands as a thing with Borderlands 2.
Fuck that game.
How do you mess up a sequel that badly?

Borderlands 3 seems like the bigger misstep, by virtue of it not existing yet. Feels like they should've struck while the iron was hot some years ago...
The thing about roguelikes is that they kinda peaked before they took off. No indie roguelike has been as good as Spelunky and FTL.

There's still room for them to surprise. One Way Heroics, Unexplored and (stretching the definition a bit) Rimworld are roguelike gems, for example.

Like, as good as some roguelikes are, I don't doubt that there will be one in the future that wows everyone and sets a new standard.

kiguel182

The last guardian is the game that made me buy both a PS3 and PS4 Pro.

Though for the PS4 Pro I made damn sure this time that it was going to release before buying it. :p

Were you following TLG at all? I was fucking done by the time that re-reveal happened. It was either show me the receipts or it ain't happening.

I was. We knew the game had been ported to the PS4 and it was in development. We also knew the issue was it couldn't run on the PS3. It was bound to be revealed. It was the least surprising from the three and the more "yeah, makes sense"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom