• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You
ueDbIkf.jpg

The guy she tells you not to worry about
latest

This week's Bombcast was real good. The first real good one since Ben joined. Jeff's internet rant was great.

I have basically stopped watching all West content now, though - aside from one or two QLs. East is seriously doing some great stuff - the Xcom feature is fucking genius (and I love it has some production to it, as well).

Mr. F

Banned
Jeff's podcast with Paul Barnett was really great. I wish Jeff did interview-type podcasts more often.

I know eh, I wish they'd leverage his talents for that stuff more often. Brad too, it was a shame we only got one of those technical retrospective things with the Uncharted collection because that was cool as fuck

Shenmue 3 is going to suck major ass and anyone who believes otherwise is extremely good at lying to themselves and denying reality. And it was utterly predictable from the moment they announced a sequel to Shenmue, the most expensive game ever made at the time, would be kickstarted lmao.

Shenmue 3 is going to suck major ass and anyone who believes otherwise is extremely good at lying to themselves and denying reality. And it was utterly predictable from the moment they announced a sequel to Shenmue, the most expensive game ever made at the time, would be kickstarted lmao.

What made Shenmue great doesn't need a big budget these days.

The large open world is small by today's standards. The insane details is standard these days. The real time elements are standard these days.

What will make or break the game will be the story and atmosphere.

For the record, I love Shenmue but I am not convinced they will do it justice all these years later - but the budget won't be what fucks it if it goes wrong.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So other than the shemnue thing is there actually any noteworthy news this Gamescom?

I feel like i haven't heard anything significant coming out of it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Exquisite Corps is great. Dan's complete disregard for the lives of the non Dan crew, his early dismissal of smoke grenades, his late misuse of smoke grenades, it's all great.

What made Shenmue great doesn't need a big budget these days.

The large open world is small by today's standards. The insane details is standard these days. The real time elements are standard these days.

What will make or break the game will be the story and atmosphere.

For the record, I love Shenmue but I am not convinced they will do it justice all these years later - but the budget won't be what fucks it if it goes wrong.

A game focused on cinematic storytelling, deep combat, realistically rendered environments with lots of interaction, and "modern" graphics not expensive? I don't think you're right about that.

A game focused on cinematic storytelling, deep combat, realistically rendered environments with lots of interaction, and "modern" graphics not expensive? I don't think you're right about that.
It costs a fair bit more than Spelunky to make, but it doesn't need to be the most expensive game ever like it used to be. It can achieve all that with a modest budget.

Antiwhippy

I mean they already skimped on the graphics part, so they should have more budget for the other stuff.

Fuckin howling at this Shenmue III trailer

The UE4 tech demo aesthetic
The complete lack of facial movement on Ryo
The multiple title drops

Gawdddd

Antiwhippy

Authentic Dreamcast standard.

At this point wouldn't most shemnue fans just want to see the story concluded? The other parts doesn't seem as important for this particular project.

Looking at something like the Yakuza games other than the graphical fidelity the other parts aren't exactly super high budget stuff either.

At this point wouldn't most shemnue fans just want to see the story concluded? The other parts doesn't seem as important for this particular project.

Looking at something like the Yakuza games other than the graphical fidelity the other parts aren't exactly super high budget stuff either.
As a BIG Shenmue fan I an honestly furious that somehow the game is finally being made and it still won't be concluded in 3.

That probably is to do with budget, but we could find ourselves in the same cliffhanger situation.

Curufinwe

I like Aloy, but the rest of the characters in Horizon and the story interactions with them aren't great so far. Rost's delivery is so flat it's almost comical. I'm only about six hours in but I want to finish it before I start Uncharted LL.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like Aloy, but the rest of the characters in Horizon and the story interactions with them aren't great so far. Rost's delivery is so flat it's almost comical. I'm only about six hours in but I want to finish it before I start Uncharted LL.

Only Lance Reddick is any good

the voice acting in ths game is also wildly inconsistent

Fuckin howling at this Shenmue III trailer

The UE4 tech demo aesthetic
The complete lack of facial movement on Ryo
The multiple title drops

Gawdddd

It's all extremely bad, which is extremely good, to me. It doesn't even have an art style. It's glorious. The mental gymnastics people will have to keep doing to avoid the cognitive dissonance are worth the money the kickstarter raised

Top Bottom