• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

soundtest

Banned
Since everyone in the thread has said that Dan is a horrible person i wanted to chime in and say that he is a good person who is loved by a great many and his being the site has been fantastic.

Now, can we please return to wondering what, precisely, brad does on a regular workday?

Man Jeff talking about sleep paralysis is terrifying

I have it somewhat regularly. Always morbidly interesting to see how it manifests, one time it was eyes on the walls with tapping and scratching on my window/door. I can feel screaming that isn't happening and when I finally wake up my whole body is in agony from tensing up, I assume.

The last time it happened I just worked really hard to not focus on anything in particular in the room and it kind of went mildly compared to how it usually is. What sucks the worst is having the mrs right next to me and she has no idea that anything is happening.

Dan is the content king...but I'm reasonably confident he couldn't break out of a prison.

Dan is one of the best things to happen to Giant Bomb.

hamchan

"Dan comes here in spite of 90% of the thread proclaiming him to be Giant Bomb's saviour after Ryan died and basically starting a new golden age of content with his many content ideas that basically dominated the site for years and then continuing to be excellent now that he's moved over to GBEast"

Did I do it right?

Aselith

Didn't this whole thread pop off at ben tweeting out that there will be more kingdom heartache, think that the tweet is implying there won't be any kingdom heartache, and then it turned out that there was kingdom heartache.

So no more Kingdom Heartache? It's for the best really

kiguel182

Dan was doing great and then everything came crumbling down. Amazing episode.

Also, why did Vinny died?

Edit: This was a great episode despite me knowing things would turn bad. Can't wait for his letter!

"Dan comes here in spite of 90% of the thread proclaiming him to be Giant Bomb's saviour after Ryan died and basically starting a new golden age of content with his many content ideas that basically dominated the site for years and then continuing to be excellent now that he's moved over to GBEast"

Did I do it right?

Circle gets the square.

Dan is the content king...but I'm reasonably confident he couldn't break out of a prison.

I'm confident that he would will his escape into existance much like many other things that he's managed to do. "Well guys, the cook that day was making his version of a Taco Bell cheesy roll-up, we got to talking, and he let me borrow his supply truck to escape."

I have it somewhat regularly. Always morbidly interesting to see how it manifests, one time it was eyes on the walls with tapping and scratching on my window/door. I can feel screaming that isn't happening and when I finally wake up my whole body is in agony from tensing up, I assume.

The last time it happened I just worked really hard to not focus on anything in particular in the room and it kind of went mildly compared to how it usually is. What sucks the worst is having the mrs right next to me and she has no idea that anything is happening.

Dan is one of the best things to happen to Giant Bomb.

I think I either have sleep paralysis or night terrors, but the last horrible one I had I thought I was in one of those trash compactor/cardboard bailers and was SCREAMING at the top of my lungs "Please turn it off! Please turn it off!"

BTA

Edit: This was a great episode despite me knowing things would turn bad. Can't wait for his letter!

My understanding (based on the thread, as I haven't played the game myself, so maybe this is slightly off) is that it's an unfixed bug. He could have lived if they'd extracted him but since they'd already failed the mission, killing the last enemy auto-ended it and he wasn't saved. Which is why it did the bizarre thing where it said only 1 person died and then it killed him too.

I think I either have sleep paralysis or night terrors, but the last horrible one I had I thought I was in one of those trash compactor/cardboard bailers and was SCREAMING at the top of my lungs "Please turn it off! Please turn it off!"

The distinction is that with sleep paralysis usually you realize you are awake and you're certainly in your room. That's the whole deal; part of your head shifts into waking mode but the connection to the rest of your body isn't established.

My understanding (based on the thread, as I haven't played the game myself, so maybe this is slightly off) is that it's an unfixed bug. He could have lived if they'd extracted him but since they'd already failed the mission, killing the last enemy auto-ended it and he wasn't saved. Which is why it did the bizarre thing where it said only 1 person died and then it killed him too.

because at the end of the mission Vinny wasn't dead, he was stabilized. It's because they left him back on the battlefield that he turned to KIA. XCOM, Baby.

Do they speed up the time they pull the trigger in crushing?
Only by a bit, but when you're already trying to avoid a dozen other guys that can also practically one-shot you, it's... less than fun, lol.

I really don't know what happened with Crushing in 4. I found it fun in previous Uncharteds and TLOU, but 4's was just tedious and punishing.

Zaph

I wouldn't bet against him. He would find a way to scam his way out or a giant loophole in the legal system would be uncovered and he would be the first to benefit.

But a wolf half the size of what he thought wolves were would kill him.

BTA

Mario Odyssey does not have a hub world.
Repeat.
Mario Odyssey does not have a hub world.

Is it bad that I'm a little sad about that? Seeing Sunshine again's reminded me how cool the little weird secrets in hub areas could be.

Though, well. I guess there are going to be a ton of things in each location in Odyssey that are like that anyway, so that's not really worth thinking about.

kiguel182

When you stabilize an ally they must be taken to extraction or else it's like you left their body on the battlefield, even if you clear out all the aliens. It's weird.

Well, that's a bummer if it's a bug. If you had to carry him to extraction the game didn't allow it since the mission ended before they got to the extraction.

The distinction is that with sleep paralysis usually you realize you are awake and you're certainly in your room. That's the whole deal; part of your head shifts into waking mode but the connection to the rest of your body isn't established.

I'm going to stick with night terrors for me then, haha. There's a bunch of times where I've seen shit in my room and freaked, but I don't always realize it's my room until I've scared myself awake.

oti

Banned
Is it bad that I'm a little sad about that? Seeing Sunshine again's reminded me how cool the little weird secrets in hub areas could be.

Though, well. I guess there are going to be a ton of things in each location in Odyssey that are like that anyway, so that's not really worth thinking about.

Isn't each level kind of a hub world anyway?

I'm going to stick with night terrors for me then, haha. There's a bunch of times where I've seen shit in my room and freaked, but I don't always realize it's my room until I've scared myself awake.

Yeah that's a night terror. You're 100% awake and logical for sleep paralysis. That's what makes it so horrifying.

BTA

Well, that's a bummer if it's a bug. If you had to carry him to extraction the game didn't allow it since the mission ended before they got to the extraction.

If there's a mod that literally only fixes that (or that + other unintended things) I feel like they should probably use it because this is definitely gonna happen again.

Isn't each level kind of a hub world anyway?

That's what I meant in the second bit, yeah. Odyssey looks really weird in that way and in thinking about this I think I'm way more excited for it than I've really let sink in.

But there's Rabbids to play first.

Chaser324

Banned

It's not really a bug. It's just the way these missions types were designed. Failing the objective is essentially the same as aborting the mission, and it forces you to do an immediate forced extraction which leaves behind any downed allies that you could've carried to the extraction point on a successful mission.

XCOM 2 cleared all of this up by just requiring that you still extract like normal if you fail the objective.

hamchan

Never had sleep paralysis but seeing ghosts, demons and home intruders while you're stuck in bed unable to move sounds like the best horror experience ever.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't get night terrors but I do get a small period where I'm cognitive in my dream world before I wake up and it's the beeeeeest.

patapuf

Usually, if you win a map, you don't have to carry soldiers back to extraction to keep their loot/stabilized body.

But Dan lost despite killing all aliens. So the game treated Vinny as if he was left behind and Dan aborted. It's an oversight/bug by the dev.

I don't get night terrors but I do get a small period where I'm cognitive in my dream world before I wake up and it's the beeeeeest.

Lots of people actively try for lucid dreaming - and fail. It sounds awesome.

When you stabilize an ally they must be taken to extraction or else it's like you left their body on the battlefield, even if you clear out all the aliens. It's weird.
It's not really a bug. It's just the way these missions types were designed. Failing the objective is essentially the same as aborting the mission, and it forces you to do an immediate forced extraction which leaves behind any downed allies that you could've carried to the extraction point on a successful mission.

XCOM 2 cleared all of this up by just requiring that you still extract like normal if you fail the objective.
My understanding is it's a straight-up bug--only in XCOM 2 can you pick up downed soldiers to take them to extraction. In XCOM 1, secured locations (no enemies) that do not have forced evac (aborted mission at the evac point) should allow surviving soldiers, even if bleeding out, to get back to base OK because XCOM has the time to retrieve them. The mission the duders were on should've been OK.

The bug is that the strategic map considered him alive (hence the "1 soldier dead"), but the battle map considered him left behind (and thus dead). I'm assuming it's some behind-the-scenes scripting issue with that mission, because it is part of a scripted questline. It's like it's flagged as a hostile-owned area (like an invader ship in orbit or a base) even though it's not.

XCOM 2 is a lot better and clearer about this because every place is hostile, pretty much. The timers and stuff essentially simulate ADVENT's response time to secure to location, closing off any air or ground routes out of it. Plus you can set your own evac points. It's hella tense.

demidar

I've had sleep paralysis before.

It fucking sucks. It's more than just being awake, it's being awake and conscious except there's a switch flipped in your head that makes you 1000% more paranoid so you go crazy with anticipating something happening to you in an instant, such as staring at a gap in the door/cabinet and expecting something to horribly murder you because being unable to move is illogical.

BTA

Earlier in the thread it seemed like people were saying the auto-end upon killing all the enemies after a failure was added in patches and so this behavior (where that auto-end leaves stabilized units behind) was therefore a bug.

If not, what a weird design decision, since that means to safely leave with a stabilized unit you have to intentionally leave an enemy alive till you've done so?

The worst thing for me isn't necessarily night terrors, it is more like morning terrors. Where after being exhausted for days I will sleep for a few hours, wake up, then drift back off. That drifting back off while being aware, not being able to move my body, being aware of what is going on, hallucinations creeping in and the feeling of the ego and personality get destroyed while being dragged into sleep is the worst thing, for me.

Saying that, I would gladly fight anyone who shits on Dan with a broken bottle and rusty motorcycle chain.

daveo42

Banned
Dan is probably the best thing to happen to Giant Bomb post-Ryan, but I think he has been trying to play up certain aspects of his "GB personality" to the point it can become off-putting. Yeah, the joke is he cares more about the life of his character in XCOM than that of his teammates, but continuing to play it up when the situation goes to shit is, I'm sure, what people attach to as "shitty" behavior.

Hindl

I've never had night terrors/sleep paralysis but I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea. I often wake up gasping for air and I need to get a sleep study soon

BTA

Dan is probably the best thing to happen to Giant Bomb post-Ryan, but I think he has been trying to play up certain aspects of his "GB personality" to the point it can become off-putting. Yeah, the joke is he cares more about the life of his character in XCOM than that of his teammates, but continuing to play it up when the situation goes to shit is, I'm sure, what people attach to as "shitty" behavior.

I willing to write that off as being anxious and trying to salvage a bad situation.

Though him starting with the bit didn't do him any favors.

I experienced sleep paralysis once and it was horrible. I "woke up", was lying in my bed but there was some masked person standing in my doorway staring at me. No matter how much I tried I couldn't move a muscle. Felt like it lasted forever. Finally I actually was able to move and obviously there was no one there, but man it was scary in the moment.

kbZj3MO.png

daveo42

Banned
I've been slowly making my way through Nier and things have definitely been going places post
timeskip.
I'm getting much more of the love people have for this now that the story has been progressing.

I willing to write that off as being anxious and trying to salvage a bad situation.

Though him starting with the bit didn't do him any favors.

The bit is fine when played for laughs, not when the game is on the line. He did transition, but it was too late to matter for Alex and the fail state for Vinny is just collateral damage. I think most of the hate is overblown around the XCOM episode and hope they continue making episodes. It's a fun feature and hopefully the deaths of Vinny and Alex make each person take the game a bit more seriously.

Top Bottom