• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

I think there's an argument to be made that RE7 falls apart at the end. I'm not sure I agree (I think of it as an homage initially to RE6/RE7 before ending in an homage to the final battle of Evil Dead 2), but I can certainly understand.
I think people mean the
ship
part which yes, I completely agree. Still the overall experience is great.

There's a lot of that going on, yeah.

The one example I have for myself was when my friend and I walked away from the wolf on wall street thinking rather different things. The scene at the end with the FBI agent in the subway car left us with two verrrry different opinions.

Wolf of Wall Street is one of the best examples of this type of thing out there. The damn style of the movie and protagonist is so seductive. It needs to be in order to make the film work. But it's dangerous in that, while the movie is trying to posit that Jordan is an awful human, it's really easy to walk away drawn into thinking: "I wanna be just like Jordan".

daveo42

Banned
I think people mean the
ship

I was fine with that portion of the game (mostly) if only for story reasons.
The mix of flashback and current time gameplay was interesting enough and it covered most of the meat of the actual story.
I think the later portion of that section is where it kind of falls apart and kind of stays that way up until the late game reveal and ending boss fight.

BearPawB

Banned
PUBG is still supposed to come out this year, right? In which case my concerns are moot.

What I still don't understand is if a game is eligible in early access because it is "for sale," shouldn't that then disqualify it if it comes out in a subsequent year? And therefore the vast majority of early access games will probably never be in consideration.

I like rules, is what I'm saying.

I would say release date is not a factor at all.
It is Giant Bombs game of the year. I feel the award should capture the game that they felt most excited about / had the most fun with throughout the year.

If 2018 is full of awful games, and jeff and the crew get really into Red Faction Guerrilla i would support red faction guerrilla as game of the year 2018

Team Chaos

The fact that RE7 fell back on the evil young girl cliche alone is awful, let alone the fact the gameplay stopped being interesting/tense/scary after the mansion section.

We've seen evil innocent looking girls a million times now, stop doing it!

I think people mean the
ship

I was more meaning from that part onward. And I totally get why people don't like it, it's the weakest part of game plays very contrary to everything else before it, but I thought it was an alright attempt to appease RE Action fans.

The fact that RE7 fell back on the evil young girl cliche alone is awful, let alone the fact the gameplay stopped being interesting/tense/scary after the mansion section.

We've seen evil innocent looking girls a million times now, stop doing it!

Cliche isn't inherently a bad thing though. It's the implementation. And RE7 is all about cliche. Some work better than others, but nearly everything in RE7 is ripped or inspired by something else.

I was more meaning from that part onward. And I totally get why people don't like it, it's the weakest part of game plays very contrary to everything else before it, but I thought it was an alright attempt to appease RE Action fans.

But why try to appease them when the entire game until then is the complete opposite?

Choose one or the other.

I would say release date is not a factor at all.
It is Giant Bombs game of the year. I feel the award should capture the game that they felt most excited about / had the most fun with throughout the year.

If 2018 is full of awful games, and jeff and the crew get really into Red Faction Guerrilla i would support red faction guerrilla as game of the year 2018

Team Chaos

You're a god damn DOTA sleeper agent

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What if they're replacing steal my sunshine with dealin' with destiny, a destiny 2 full playthrough with a gambling twist!

kiguel182

I don't see how you could think that unless you only watched the first season or two

I agree, it was a weird conversation. I don't remember her arguments but I mean, it's pretty obvious he is a piece of shit by the end. The show isn't subtle at all about that.

EDIT: But this is a show that had a part of the fanbase who thought his wife was terrible and he was in the right in that marriage so it's not that rare of a thing I guess.

I agree, it was a weird conversation. I don't remember her arguments but I mean, it's pretty obvious he is a piece of shit by the end. The show isn't subtle at all about that.

I know people who walked away with this mentality. Idolizing that he got "what's his" for better and for worse.

A friend explained to me that a great deal of what we get out of art is what we project onto it. I'm not entirely certain if it's a hard and fast rule, but there's plenty of times where it makes sense.

Antiwhippy

Resident evil should jump onto the new bandwagon where the horror isn't that evil things can look like innocent girls.

The real horror lies in the weight of our existence.

I know it's hardly an original scare, but let me tell you it's an experience to have something crawling toward you in a dark hallway in VR. Legit fight-or-flight trigger.

imBask

Banned
What happened to SMS on the schedule?

oops auto refresher didn't refresh

dQWkc7I.png
it's like poetry

dan@gianttaco.com

kiguel182

I know people who walked away with this mentality. Idolizing that he got "what's his" for better and for worse.

A friend explained to me that a great deal of what we get out of art is what we project onto it. I'm not entirely certain if it's a hard and fast rule, but there's plenty of times where it makes sense.

I can definitely see that in regards to characters I like/deslike and how I am or my experiences. Sometimes I even think "maybe I'm just projecting" when talking about art.

My friend is totally a meth dealer on the side.

Resident evil should jump onto the new bandwagon where the horror isn't that evil things can look like innocent girls.

The real horror lies in the weight of our existential meaning.

President's Daughter: "Hey Leon, want to spend a little "overtime" with me?"

Leon: "Our bodies rebuild ourselves with each new cell every moment of existence. How long before "me" is replaced by a whole new 'me'? What is me anyway? Every time I sleep I lose consciousness, relying on memory to rebuild what I believe I am. But what is memory? This frail collection of memories I need to remake every time I want to understand them again? But don't these memories fall apart more and more every time I try to remember? So every day am I not different than who I was the day before?"

President's Daughter: "Oh Leon! You're so dreamy!"

Tagyhag

I'm really late but Vinny read my Age of Empires email 😄!

I thought it might be too long but would have been happy if it helped them either way.

BTA

I liked the hour I played of RE7.

(My friends and I never got around to playing more, I'm too much of a wimp to play it by myself, and I no longer live with or directly above the dorm room of those friends so who knows when I'll continue it.)

Hindl

EDIT: But this is a show that had a part of the fanbase who thought his wife was terrible and he was in the right in that marriage so it's not that rare of a thing I guess.
I didn't like Skyler at the beginning of the show either, but again, you'd have to stop watching around Season 3 to still think she sucks

Antiwhippy

President's Daughter: "Hey Leon, want to spend a little "overtime with me?"

Leon: "Our bodies rebuild ourselves with each new cell every moment of existence. How long before "me" is replaced by a whole new 'me'? What is me anyway? Every time I sleep I lose consciousness, relying on memory to rebuild what I believe I am. But what is memory? This frail collection of memories I need to remake every time I want to understand them again? But don't these memories fall apart more and more every time I try to remember? So every day am I not different than who I was the day before?"

President's Daughter: "Oh Leon! You're so dreamy!"

See this is already terrifying to me.

Also literally is a side quest in nier automata.

kiguel182

As someone who played a lot of Age Of Empires 2 as a kid (alt ought I never finished the campaign lol) I'm really happy Vinny read that email.

I hope Alex tries it. That game is so good. I should probably buy the HD version and see if it holds up.

imBask

Banned

That's where the show shines really. It got a billion people rooting for a complete psychopath for a hot minute in the later seasons

That's where the show shines really. It got a billion people rooting for a complete psychopath for a hot minute in the later seasons

Exactly. Part of the power in demonstrating why Walt sucks is that Walt's lifestyle still needs to appear super enticing.

There's people who walk away from Fight Club thinking all the wrong things. Mad Men inspires a whole lot of the same. Breaking Bad too. Part of the charm of the story is how seducing the lifestyle appears superficially so when people watch on a superficial level, they get really into emulating the protagonist without recognizing the actual filth surrounding him

The beautiful thing about Mad Men is that the guy who thinks Don Draper is real cool and wants to be him is right there IN THE SHOW: Pete Campbell. That's what Don Draper's behavior looks like when you aren't as handsome and charming as him. Arguably Pete actually improves the most as a human being over the course of the show by slowly coming to see what a sham Draper is, although he does some reprehensible shit.

Anyway, Giant Bomb, am I right fellas

The beautiful thing about Mad Men is that the guy who thinks Don Draper is real cool and wants to be him is right there IN THE SHOW: Pete Campbell. That's what Don Draper's behavior looks like when you aren't as handsome and charming as him. Arguably Pete actually improves the most as a human being over the course of the show by slowly coming to see what a sham Draper is, although he does some reprehensible shit.

Pete Campbell is such a damn good character for this very reason.

Damn, Mad Men is a good show.

EDIT:
See this is already terrifying to me.

Also literally is a side quest in nier automata.

Thanks! I tried!

Back to GB, as much as I love Destiny 2 coverage, I really wish I had some SMS action today.

Pete Campbell is such a damn good character for this very reason.

Damn, Mad Men is a good show.

EDIT:

Thanks! I tried!

Back to GB, as much as I love Destiny 2 coverage, I really wish I had some SMS action today.

Funny thing reading these is I watched the episode last night where Don was like in a panic because the government is doing background checks on him for an aviation contract Pete brought in and Don fucking makes Pete get rid of the account because he can't handle his shit. Don's done some shitty things but man that has to rank in the top three.

ANyway Giant Bomb is a great site and look forward to more Steal My Sunshine today and Super Mario Sunshine is still a bad game and it has nothing to do with the controls or how good they are at it

Top Bottom