• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I have a bottle of reaper hot sauce that just makes me want to die everytime i use it. It's so good.

Anyway, if they're dying often because they get into the action early i guess that's reasonably spicy.

Aw shit, I choked up again at this part of the ending in Yakuza 0. So fucking good UGH. I laughed way harder than I should have when Dan said "what did this guy do that made him bad again?"(talking about Sagawa). Man, he checked out of Yakuza 0 for way, way longer than I thought he did. However, I also have to be fair that Dan also enjoyed most of the game and some of the comments here made things sound way worse than it actually was.

Also, Vinny's son getting the white belt yellow stripe in Taekwondo was pretty cute and awesome to know!
Please for gods sake tell me they canceled the series after they beat the game.

s7sVhW2.gif

My latest hot take people who have a fondness for old tomb raider are crazier than people who have a fondness for sonic

Nope. I'm with you in that the tank controls are asinine(I got used to it thanks to Resident Evil) BUT much like RE, the entire structure of the game is built around the controls and not the other way around. As soon as you get a hang of it and know how to judge distances, it becomes something else because you'll notice how precise it actually is. Thinking about it, there's really nothing quite like it when it comes to how atmospheric and creepy those old games were. That main theme though.

However, I know not many can get into tank controls and that's a valid complaint. It really is something you either are ok with or you're absolutely not.

Q3GFCOl.gif

Oh man, this FF12 QL is the first time I've seen the game before. It makes me wish I had a PS2 to play it on back in the day--it all sounds so good.

I kinda want to see Atomic Blonde because it's directed by the guy who made John Wick and Charlize Theron is pretty badass (at times).

I'm just happy we can have a woman 007 like character without trying to force it onto James Bond itself which doesn't work.

I'm probably going to see the movie to support it for that alone. Also John Wick was pretty dang good.

TraBuch

Banned
Huh. I just read YouTube comments for the first time since the new hires and people really don't like Ben. Put Patrick and Ben in one video and those people might literally die.

Zocano

To be fair it's hard to remember the story of a game when you play it for 1 hour a week over 7 months.

It's hard for me to *completely* dislike their abilities and knowledge of the game when this is the case. I don't know if I'd be able to keep things completely straight either (I probably would).

But please let Vinny or Alex play Kiwami when they do that (or Abby, who knows, but it's too story heavy for her based on what she's said about her interests).

-data-

Will Smith kind of sucks in this Star Trek thing, the bickering with Ben instead of helping out is super annoying.

I really like Will, but I know what you mean. I'll put it down to those two not really knowing each other that well yet.

Curufinwe

Now that they finished Yakuza here is a video of how the game is actually supposed to be played by someone who isn't complete shit at the game

Last Boss spoilers if you didn't see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpoOGq4jtVQ&t=187s

Make note of the frequent dodging, countering, style switching, and complete lack of over committing. This is the hardest difficulty by the way not normal baby mode like Dan was playing and still sucking at.

Dan stuck with the Monster Mash style for the whole game.

Curufinwe

I'm 26 and played Tomb Raider 1 and 2 for the first time in the last 18 months.

Once you get used to the controls (and you do, they're very precise once you adjust to them feeling clunky at first), they are great.

Fantastic atmosphere (you always feel isolated), great level design, interesting and satisfying puzzles, and the game has a lot of faith in you and doesn't guide you by the hand. You can get lost and feel useless and then something twigs. The platforming is challenging too - love needing to reach out and grab ledges etc.

Combat does suck these days, though. As does the camera.

I wish I played both back in the day. I would say they're great now - 20 years ago they must have been mind blowing.

The first one was pretty mind blowing. And extremely hard on the PS1 where you had to find save crystals which disappeared when you used them.

You should try the 2007 remake if you haven't already.

I'm 26 and played Tomb Raider 1 and 2 for the first time in the last 18 months.

Once you get used to the controls (and you do, they're very precise once you adjust to them feeling clunky at first), they are great.

Fantastic atmosphere (you always feel isolated), great level design, interesting and satisfying puzzles, and the game has a lot of faith in you and doesn't guide you by the hand. You can get lost and feel useless and then something twigs. The platforming is challenging too - love needing to reach out and grab ledges etc.

Combat does suck these days, though. As does the camera.

I wish I played both back in the day. I would say they're great now - 20 years ago they must have been mind blowing.

I'd say the combat always sucked, but I have to imagine people complained about the lack of combat in TR1, because they went overboard in TR2. When I revisit it, I just use the cheat codes to get weapons that trivialize combat.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Like I played TR when I was a kid and I hated it then.

I didn't hate Resident Evil then because it had a lot going on outside of the controls. TR1 had a british lady with pointy boobs and no personality shooting animals in really bad combat with really bad 3d platforming and really boring music.

I didn't hate Resident Evil then because it had a lot going on outside of the controls. TR1 had a british lady with pointy boobs and no personality shooting animals in really bad combat with really bad 3d platforming and really boring music.

Correct. The soundtrack alone in RE dethrones whatever Tomb Raider tried to pass for music, in all honesty the game is mostly silent from what I remember. The only thing you hear is your surroundings and that's about it. Speaking strictly of the first 2-3 games of course. I myself enjoy RE more than TR, generally speaking, but they both are way different in what they're trying to achieve and do.

Definitely did.

Lol I anticipated this.

But yeah I wish they had taken people's advice and looked at the character bios in game before starting it up. Or just played twice a week.

Also I picked Sagawa as my avatar partially because he wasn't represented on GAF compared to Kiryu or Majima, but also because throughout the game I loved his shit eating grins and attitude. By the end I felt his arc with Majima was satisfying and surprisingly felt an attachment to the character. What did you guys end up thinking of him now that BitE part 1 is done?

Why does Dorf on Golf seem so familiar to me after being mentioned in UPF.

Was it mentioned in a Beast vid recently or something...

I think I'm losing my mind.

I swear someone showed Dan a Dorf on Golf video and he was losing his shit or something...AM I CRAZY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom