• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone currently playing through Deus Ex: HR, that 70 hour figure blows my mind. I mean, I know this is Vinny we're talking about, but that is some Vinny-ass Vinnying. I just reached the point where I'm going to switch over to The Missing Link, and I've explored literally every way in and out of every area I could find, hacked everything, done what I think is every available sidequest and I'm only at 20 hours. I don't think I'd even hit half of Vinny's time when I'm all done including the DLC. And that's why I love him.

Also, can you imagine having Vinny as a Dad? You could walk up to any kid and tell him your Dad could beat up his Dad and you'd be right every time.

theRizzle

When I was in my early 20's I thought I wanted to have kids immediately.

I'm going to be 29 this year and I just broke up with my girlfriend of 6 years precisely because I don't want kids right now, and she does. Jeff was right in saying that if you can't agree on that thing, you might as well just go your separate ways. We should have ended our relationship years ago, but I think we both kept wishing the other person would change their mind.

I like kids, and entertain the idea of having one in the future, but I know that I am not ready to have a kid at this point in my life. There is too much I want to do first, and when you have a kid you basically have to put all your own shit on hold.

DaBuddaDa

There is too much I want to do first, and when you have a kid you basically have to put all your own shit on hold.

I don't think it's quite that severe...you certainly can continue to "do you own shit" with kids. Bill Gates has kids. Every president of the US ever has had kids (I think?) Thousands of developers making video games under crunch for 70 hours a week have kids.

theRizzle

I don't think it's quite that severe...you certainly can continue to "do you own shit" with kids.

If "doing your own shit" is going to work then coming home and playing video games every day for the rest of your life, sure.

If your plans are to go back to University to finish the degree you bailed on, then travel for a year or so, or dump every single penny you have trying to get your own business off the ground, or leave all your possessions behind and move to Peru to become an Ayahuasca Shaman, I would imagine that is pretty difficult to do with an infant.

The reality is for the vast majority of people, you have to put your life on hold for 10+ years if you have a kid. Children require so much time, energy, money and attention that it is so difficult to succeed at anything else other than raising a decent human being for the first decade or so.

sweet. I still have a few days on my membership.

Also lulz @ vinny videos production values.

I hope if he is coming back its only for a day or 2 a week.

Let him do the bombcast and let him keep in the loop for e3 stuff but for god sake he has more important things to do. Like being super tired and cleaning up poop.

ghostmind

I have no idea what Vinny's plans are, but when my ex-wife and I had our son, I was back to work within a couple weeks fulltime, and she was back within about 3 months fulltime. My son stayed with a nanny/childcare service while we worked. Unless you can work it financially for one parent to stay home, that is the reality of the situation.

The important thing is to get the baby on a schedule. Once that is more or less working, things like sleep, etc get better (until (if) colic happens).

One lesson you learn quickly as a parent is that you, as a human being, are a remarkably adaptable creature.

Congrats to Vinny on fatherhood - in my experience, there is nothing that I have done as important, and as rewarding, as being a dad.

Thinking about buying premium for a month just to try it out/watch all the premium vids in a gluttonous fog...question: if I buy a month, there isn't some auto renewal bullshit that will happen, is there? Will just run out on May 16th?

Thinking about buying premium for a month just to try it out/watch all the premium vids in a gluttonous fog...question: if I buy a month, there isn't some auto renewal bullshit that will happen, is there? Will just run out on May 16th?

It auto-renews, but you can just cancel the auto-renewal with a mouse click in the menu.

You have to turn off the auto-renewal but it's easy.

yes it is automatically set to auto renew and they wont email you to tell you you are about to be renewed for another month once a month is over so if I was you I would joining and then quickly cancel just so you don't forget. (I learned this the hard way when I first joined)

However if you do cancel you membership you will get a bunch of emails begging you to re sub.

Kind of annoying and I just ended up sending all GB/whiskey media emails to my spam folder now.

They have enough content for me to resub for 1 month every 4/5 months. Thanks to the unique way GB releases content its nice to have a backlog of premium content whenever they go through one of there dry spells.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
9FHdk.png

Hmmmmmmm. State of the Game on GiantBomb more likely or gamespot.

I've always thought the old Whiskey Media office/bar would be perfect for a Homestory type of Starcraft tournament, but their new office space is too constrained for something like that.

DTKT

Brad will be fighting Koreans. He will be representing the glorious Americas and he is sponsored by Olive Gardens.

"Legends of Grimrock [...] is like Dave Snider became a video game"

This Vinny video is really awesome and it seems like he put a good bit of editing work into it as well.

Man, that was an incredible video. Poor Vinny. The guy just sounds beyond exhausted.

I can't believe he's managed to play as many games as he has. I figured he would just take every opportunity to sleep. His attitude toward Fez being tiring was hilarious, though, hahaha. Seems like he's holding up well, all things considered.

Looking forward to your return, Vinny, but take as much time off as you need to!

edit: Also, ditch final cut! Premiere is great. : )

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Man, that was an incredible video. Poor Vinny. The guy just sounds beyond exhausted.

I can't believe he's managed to play as many games as he has. I figured he would just take every opportunity to sleep. His attitude toward Fez being tiring was hilarious, though, hahaha. Seems like he's holding up well, all things considered.

Looking forward to your return, Vinny, but take as much time off as you need to!

edit: Also, ditch final cut! Premiere is great. : )

Didn't Vinny attempt to get an Avid license at one point? Maybe CBS can spare the dough for a seat now. ;)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I've always thought the old Whiskey Media office/bar would be perfect for a Homestory type of Starcraft tournament, but their new office space is too constrained for something like that.

Being in NorCal. I would so love something like that lol. Need more tournaments up here so I can go!

Surprised Vinny got bored of stealth in HR, but those fucking minigames were rape to the mind after a while.

Hacking/lock picking minigames need to die.
I got sick of stealth halfway through the first decent mission.

And kudos to Vinny putting up that video in the state he's in. Top work.

Also, I'm too selfish to want kids. I like having spare time to me or my Missus. I haven't the amazing patience of parents, for which I applaud them

Havok

If you're a Giant Bomb member you get a free Gamespot membership coupon
More specifically, a yearly (Giant Bomb) member.

Which would be a bummer if I even slightly cared about Gamespot.

Does this mean my active monthly GB membership will get a yearly total access account for 2012?
As far as I can tell, monthly members don't get anything (to avoid people scamming the system for cheap Gamespot subs). This is all going off of tweets from Dave.

~Kinggi~

Banned
More specifically, a yearly member.

Which would be a bummer if I even slightly cared about Gamespot.

Does this mean my active monthly GB membership will get a yearly total access account for 2012?

As far as I can tell, monthly members don't get anything (to avoid people scamming the system for cheap Gamespot subs). This is all going off of tweets from Dave.

Thats kinda bullshit. All they say is "premium members!" get free access. Im a premium member cause i get access to all their premium videos. Makes no sense.

Fuck gamespot anyway. I swear you know whats going to be mad bullshit is when they start having the GiantBomb guys in all the fricken Total Access features on gamespot. I can see it now.

Oh and fuck gamespot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom