• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd argue the reason it was great is BECAUSE of the irregularity. Doing it every week got them into a rut where most of them ranged from mediocre to boring. I say they do it once or twice a month tops. Preferably closer to once a month.

And skipping Matt Rorie? How dare you, sir.

Xanathus

Heh, I didn't even notice that ComicVine did not show up until people pointed out after the show. Looks like we know which site's editorial staff is getting chopped next.

ComicVine is about the most popular comic site around so I doubt the staff are going anywhere. They probably work for peanuts too.

jediyoshi

Heh, I didn't even notice that ComicVine did not show up until people pointed out after the show. Looks like we know which site's editorial staff is getting chopped next.
Comic Vine commands about the same amount of views as Anime Vice, Tested, and Screened combined. Moreover, it was only until last year that Anime Vice wasn't dominating Tested and Screened in traffic.

Rlan

I really wish Tested had a wiki, just because i want to know what that would look like. COULD I get loat wikipedia style reading the history of Nokia phone styles? I bet I could.

Xanathus

Comic Vine commands about the same amount of views as Anime Vice, Tested, and Screened combined. Moreover, it was only until last year that Anime Vice wasn't dominating Tested and Screened in traffic.

Yeah I'm aware of that but I recall people saying that those views were mostly from wiki views and that their actual articles and video content weren't getting that many hits. Also, wasn't AnimeVice in basically the same situation as ComicVine currently in?

Thomper

Yeah I'm aware of that but I recall people saying that those views were mostly from wiki views and that their actual articles and video content weren't getting that many hits. Also, wasn't AnimeVice in basically the same situation as ComicVine currently in?

Don't know how much views their articles get, but they at least get far more comments on their articles than Screened and Tested. Their podcast seems pretty popular too.

And yes, Sarah still works there. I think the ComicVine-team is only two people, with Joey jumping in for some video content, so it's probably really not that expensive to maintain either. Pretty sure there's zero chance of ComicVine going the way of AnimeVice. ;)

0irz2.gif

I was praying for someone to make this.

JonCha

Bit late on the Happy Hour I know, but I enjoyed it mostly. The only boring bits were the Tested segments where I didn't really find Will Smith engaging, on either one. I was checking other stuff while that was happening.

They could do some crazy stuff on that show. I'd like to see a take on Soccer AM's 'Take one for the team' feature, where someone has to receive a (painful) penalty if they make a gaf in the office.

Chuck

Still without luck
Why do you think this?

I think ever since they moved into their new office, Ryan has changed the way he hosts and acts on the podcast, and it's only gotten worse with time. The jokes are often forced and less funny as a result, the news has taken an even further back seat to everything else, but as a whole I just think it's a mess.

Although, I don't want to put all of the blame on him. I think they all have gotten tired of doing the show every single week and it shows.

SmithnCo

Weird, I still love the bombcasts and all the weird tangents they go off on. If they've gotten tired of the show it seems odd that it is consistently three hours every week, and they all sound like they're having fun.

Making it subscriber would've been awful for download numbers though. Also bad for iTunes integration?

I think ever since they moved into their new office, Ryan has changed the way he hosts and acts on the podcast, and it's only gotten worse with time. The jokes are often forced and less funny as a result, the news has taken an even further back seat to everything else, but as a whole I just think it's a mess.

Although, I don't want to put all of the blame on him. I think they all have gotten tired of doing the show every single week and it shows.

I think the issue is with you, not them. To me the show is as good as it ever has been. I could listen to those guys talk about anything, and usually do as their tangents are huge these days. They spent like 40 minutes talking about earthquakes a few weeks ago and I didn't even realise they hadn't talked about games, I was still entertained. They clearly still have a ton of fun doing it, hence the almost 3 hour shows and fits of laughter throughout from all of them.

"Yeah man, I'll listen to some of the bombcast I missed before I head to bed."

This is what I told myself two hours ago.

Curse you, Giant Bomb. <3

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Who listens to the bombast for gaming news? Along with new game releases, its probably my least favorite segment.

You're not supposed to listen to get the news, you're supposed to listen to hear them talk about the news.

GavinGT

Banned

You seem to be in the midst of depression or something. "Boohoo, everything I used to like now sucks."

I think most will agree that the Bombcast has only gotten better with time. The tangents are awesome and the jokes flow naturally as a result. The lack of news is a blessing because who the fuck gets their news from a weekly podcast? It's like the worst delivery method possible, especially since we all already know everything that happens the moment it goes down. At the very best, they're giving us news that's a day late, since they tape the show on Monday. And there's certainly no indication that they're getting tired of doing it, as the show is only getting longer and longer. Not to mention the ~12 hours of podcasts they did for GOTY, which was 100% their idea. It's not as if even us paying customers expected them to do that much podcasting.

As I was saying, it seems like you're the one that's changed rather than them. And to blame Ryan.....wtf?

I don't listen to the Bombcast for news, I listen to it for their spin on the news. I already know the news, I just want to know what they think of it and where everything is going. And I also listen for Vinny and Brad's sexy voices.

I'm pretty sure that's their only reason for doing it. I don't see how anyone thinks it's meant only to supply the news. It's not like Ryan just rattles off a list of headlines.

As far as I recall, they generally supply their opinions on most of the important news anyway, and do a good job with it. So, what's the problem?

Gala

I wish I had bought one of these $35 subs last year. I just don't want a shirt or shop coupon, just pure Whiskey Media video extravaganza.

That last Happy Hour was so great.

Brinbe

Absolutely loved the latest Happy Hour, everyone definitely did a great job on it. And I just about died of laughter when Dave finished off showing off his Diorama and Ryan just flat-out responded that it had nothing to do with the required topic and dryly questioned how Patrick managed to do all that on his vacation. Just perfect.
KuGsj.gif

Anyway, with the positive reception this return has received, I hope they find time for more HH shenanigans at least every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom