• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 06/30/15

pizzacat

Banned
How exactly is he jaded? Because he doesn't jump on the first hype train he sees like people on forums like to do?

It's funny how people ignore anything positive he has to say about games like if you are realistic, you have to be cynical. I can guarantee you that Jeff's opinions are going to hold up in the long run because he isn't easily blinded by hype and word of mouth. If anything, this field needs more people like him. He is wise and realistic while others naively jump from one hype train to the next, buying into all of the marketing.

When he is completely ecstatic about a game, you can be damn sure that it's going to be a good game. He was raving about Just Cause 3 at E3 and I trust his opinion on it because he's honest and can see through BS when it's there.
He liked at least one game shown for each e3 conference

dugdug

Banned
Regarding the Uncharted/God of War sales stuff, its hardly surprising hearing Jeff say that. Sounds console-warriorish, maybe, but, most US press people were just more interested in the 360, so, they paid more attention to that platform, while remaining totally ignorant of basically everything relating to PS3. Sales being one of the top things they just completely ignored.

No_Style

In all seriousness.... why does gerstman stay in his field? Buddy and I were chatting about it today and the guy just seems so jaded and burnt on gaming

The same reason why he keeps cable and seeking out ways to watch wrestling even though he hates it. Deep love.

Also when was the last time Jeff took significant time off? Maybe he just needs time to recharge.

If I played Arkham Origins, I may have felt the same as Jeff but I didn't and I didn't spend nearly as much time as Arkham City. So this all good stuff to me.

I *need* Jeff's jade. I saw the phrase "Is Rocksteady Arkham Best Trilogy in Gaming?" earlier and knew only Jeff's sweet indifference could wash the taste out of my mouth

A lot of the stuff in future Arkham games (
Azreal, Arkham City, Batman dying, and Hush
) were foreshadowed in similar ways in their predecessor. I wouldn't be shocked if they were laying the groundwork for something with that.
So now we have to spoiler tag inconsequential things because they might be used in a hypothetical game in the future that probably doesn't even exist?

Well, it wasn't just easter eggs, they started talking about the identity of the Arkham Knight, which is obviously one of the game's surprises. While they may not explicitly state who it is, you have three people who've finished the game trying to talk subtly about it.

I skipped forward but cmon, it hasn't even been a WEEK since the game came out.

danm999

In all seriousness.... why does gerstman stay in his field? Buddy and I were chatting about it today and the guy just seems so jaded and burnt on gaming

Watch his reaction from say, this years E3 coverage, to Super Mario Maker, Just Cause 3, Deus Ex, Horizon Zero Dawn, Need for Speed dumb FMV, Battlefront or VR generally.

Jeff is correct in that the McNugget is superior to the burger king chicken nugget.

unfortunately, the best ever fast food chicken item was the wendy's chicken strip, which they no longer serve. rest in five piece, friend.

RE_Player

When do they talk about drive club...I have tried to listen to this but it hot so rambly from batman all the way to no mans sky conversation
Just a brief mention about it being released for Plus members. The usual comments about the game being shit in their opinion. Nothing really new or in depth.

erawsd

Wait side quest dialogue changes after you finish the Arkham Knight campaign? Awesome, cool to know, Bombcast.

Yeah, there is a bit of a trade off though. (end game spoilers)
You lose out on all the special Joker commentary about the side villains, some of which is pretty funny.

Drayco21

There have also been several references to Queen Industries and Green Arrow. That doesn't mean there will be a Green Arrow game. They are just DC easter eggs.

That's not going to stop me from hoping.

They shit the bed with their movie universe; here's hoping they make it right in video games.

Jason, I hope you and your wife get into the new place soon and safely. Sounds scary!
People have been shooting off fireworks near me in LA for the better part of two weeks now too...

edit: I believe in Robot Spider Brain Dan Ryckert.

THRILLH0

Banned
Spoiler culture is the worst. They revealed nothing of consequence. Yeesh.

Bullshit. Start a thread with the title (Arkham City/Knight spoilers)
The Joker who is confirmed dead shows up in AK hallucination sequences
and see how far you get.

Bullshit. Start a thread with the title (Arkham City/Knight spoilers)
The Joker who is confirmed dead shows up in AK hallucination sequences
and see how far you get.

Considering that exact point was 'spoiled' in the Quick Look, I think its' fair game. It's first act material.

Considering that exact point was 'spoiled' in the Quick Look, I think its' fair game. It's first act material.

It's something Rocksteady deliberately concealed for the game's entire production, even altering sections of the game for gameplay demos so as not to betray a hint of it. No leaks, no casting details, nothing until the game was released. Why does it matter how early in the game it's revealed? It could be the first thing you see on starting up the game and it'd still be a dick move to openly talk about it a week after the game's release. And it'd be an extreme dick move to spoil it right in the game's review like Brad did.

It's something Rocksteady deliberately concealed for the game's entire production, even altering sections of the game for gameplay demos so as not to betray a hint of it. No leaks, no casting details, nothing until the game was released. Why does it matter how early in the game it's revealed? It could be the first thing you see on starting up the game and it'd still be a dick move to openly talk about it a week after the game's release. And it'd be an extreme dick move to spoil it right in the game's review like Brad did.
If you want to lock yourself in a protective bubble about the game, don't listen to podcast discussions about it. People with extreme sensitivity to spoilers often expect everyone to cater to their particular problems when they should be self policing.

Jeff conveniently claims not to have Lang's phone number any more. Like that's plausible!
Follow the money!

Heimbeck

Banned

The IGN review mentioned it before the game even came out, some people must not consider it to be a big deal.

Dear Jeff...

Gamespot: Uncharted Series reaches 21 million units sold. (June 2015)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-series-reaches-21-million-units-sold/1100-6427813/

Eurogamer: God of War Series has sold 21 million copies. (May 2012)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies

What are you talking about duder?

Gears of War series has sold over 22 million (January 2014)

The idea that Gears is a big seller and Uncharted isn't is really tiresome and purely US centric. If you consider that the Uncharted series was slower out of the gate and one of it's entries was on an unsuccessful handheld (versus four console releases and a PC port) I think Uncharted stands as the bigger series now.

THRILLH0

Banned

Yeah but when you choose to watch a quick look you know the deal. You're watching them play the game unfiltered. I think some discretion is a reasonable expectation for the first podcast after a game comes out.

Wiseblood

Dear Jeff...

Gamespot: Uncharted Series reaches 21 million units sold. (June 2015)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-series-reaches-21-million-units-sold/1100-6427813/

Eurogamer: God of War Series has sold 21 million copies. (May 2012)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies

What are you talking about duder?

Halo series: 60 million

Uncharted actually is comparable to Gears which sold 22 million. That God of War total is less impressive when you realize it's the total sales of seven games.

Curufinwe

Halo started in 2001 and had two games on the Xbox, though. It compares to Gran Turismo which sold over 50m in the same timeframe.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Gears and Uncharted both started at about the same time on the same gen.

City was a better Batman game than Asylum. The lack of mobility and how much time you spend walking around in Asylum really stands out as a negative if you take off the nostalgia goggles.

Vlitra

Banned
Yeah I'm curious when the spoiler is said as well. I'm sure it's nothing crazy but I'd like to still play it safe and skip it.

Kusagari

You're going to get US centric opinions on sales from the GB guys and Gears has always been bigger than Uncharted here.

JodokusK

Thank you.

I like the duders, but Brad can be really annoying with spoilers. I reviewed Batman Arkham Knight already, but even I was sort of annoyed by how flagrantly Brad and other reviewers just mention the surprise moments.

People who try to defend this with the 'spoiler culture'-argument come off as... well... dicks.

"What does it matter that they told about [insert spoiler]?"
I don't know. How about we let the player/viewer/reader decide? By spoiling it, you take away the possibility of it even being a surprise moment. I'm a critic and even I didn't know about most of the Batman Arkham Knight stuff.

More importantly: why would you need to talk about these moments, if you're not actually analyzing the plot? Just talk around it! Instead of saying flat out "my problem is that X happens, and then Y" just go "my problem with the plot is that really implausible problems arise, and Batman comes up with even more implausible solutions that come out of nowhere."

It's that easy to not spoil. So fucking don't.

hamchan

Sometimes Jeff doesn't know what he's talking about. Sometimes all of them don't really know what's happening outside of their bubble tbh.

I don't know. How about we let the player/viewer/reader decide? By spoiling it, you take away the possibility of it even being a surprise moment. I'm a critic and even I didn't know about most of the Batman Arkham Knight stuff.
They do decide, by what they choose expose themselves to. If one wants a pure virgin Batman experience free of any information from the first hours of the game, go isolate yourself somewhere and don't listen to podcast discussions about the game. It's unreasonable to expect everyone to cater their conversations around what stuff from the beginning of the game you don't want to know about.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Jeff enjoys plenty of games all the time, people just like to selectively ignore those games because it doesn't satisfy whatever game they're personally blowing their dicks up over in that specific moment of time.

But he doesn't love [GAME I LOVE] as much as I do. That jaded asshole!

What did Brad spoil? I have finished the game but not the podcast.

Serra

I love jaded Jeff. He actually likes good games and not the latest QTE clickefest that gaf is circle-jerking over.

Also I couldn't care less about spoilers for a game like Batman. Who plays that for the story?

JodokusK

They do decide, by what they choose expose themselves to. If one wants a pure virgin Batman experience free of any information from the first hours of the game, go isolate yourself somewhere and don't listen to podcast discussions about the game. It's unreasonable to expect everyone to cater their conversations around what stuff from the beginning of the game you don't want to know about.

That's totally fair. Except that Brad in this case doesn't even mention it might be a spoiler, as did some reviewers. I think it's also unreasonable to expect readers/viewers/listeners to isolate themselves.

I mean, you're writing a review of a game, telling people if you think it's worth their time or not. You can assume that most of your audience has not played the game in question, seeing as your job is to inform them about it.

Again: just don't fucking spoil things in reviews, it's really not that hard.

hamchan

I love jaded Jeff. He actually likes good games and not the latest QTE clickefest that gaf is circle-jerking over.

Also I couldn't care less about spoilers for a game like Batman. Who plays that for the story?

Let's not misrepresent Jeff. He loves big budget QTE games like CoD Advanced Warfare, Far Cry 4 and Shadow of Mordor.

He just doesn't like the recent 3 games that everyone likes, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3 and Batman.

Serra

Which game is that?

For example the Uncharted 4 reveal. People were practically jizzing themselves during the conference here.

Let's not misrepresent Jeff. He loves big budget QTE games like CoD Advanced Warfare, Far Cry 4 and Shadow of Mordor.

He just doesn't like the recent 3 games that everyone likes, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3 and Batman.

This is true also.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How exactly is he jaded? Because he doesn't jump on the first hype train he sees like people on forums like to do?

It's funny how people ignore anything positive he has to say about games like if you are realistic, you have to be cynical. I can guarantee you that Jeff's opinions are going to hold up in the long run because he isn't easily blinded by hype and word of mouth. If anything, this field needs more people like him. He is wise and realistic while others naively jump from one hype train to the next, buying into all of the marketing.

When he is completely ecstatic about a game, you can be damn sure that it's going to be a good game. He was raving about Just Cause 3 at E3 and I trust his opinion on it because he's honest and can see through BS when it's there.

wise and realistic and willing to spout ignorance when he doesn't know the facts. Gotcha.

If he doesn't like Uncharted for instance - fine - no problem. But if he doesn't know the sales, don't just assume and say they don't hold up. Basically all the big guns from both sides are 'big sellers' in anyones book. Halo, Gears, Forza, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, God of War.

They all sell enough that comparing them on sales is kind of pointless.

MisterR

Sometimes Jeff doesn't know what he's talking about. Sometimes all of them don't really know what's happening outside of their bubble tbh.

This is true. They are often very poorly informed for people whose job it is to know stuff about games and the industry.

I don't mind the guys being honest with their opinions but I would appreciate if Brad would stop swallowing the mic when he's sick.

Top Bottom