• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 06/30/15

B_Signal

I don't know if you pay attention, but they say that all the time. Almost every sentence about speculation is sprinkled with, "We could be completely wrong." or "I'm not sure." to the point where it gets kind of annoying. But I guess they have to do it or else people will jump on them for the slightest of things.

oh come on, they've pulled things out of the air plenty of times. We all do it, they have the misfortune to have thousands of people that might just know more than them listening to them.

The Beastcast has a segment for corrections, they claimed the other week that not only did Watchdogs not come out on the WiiU, no big 3rd party games had* (then corrected it the next week) [*apologies if I'm misremembering this slightly]

I always think the claim the GB team are all about entertainment is a bit disingenuous too. I'm sure they don't feel like they're opinions are supposed to be taken as lightly as that

Eitherway, this is more arguing than the topic really deserves

Talon

Dear Jeff...

Gamespot: Uncharted Series reaches 21 million units sold. (June 2015)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-series-reaches-21-million-units-sold/1100-6427813/

Eurogamer: God of War Series has sold 21 million copies. (May 2012)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies

What are you talking about duder?
?

They've talked about Uncharted as being at the same level as Gears, which is true considering the releases (4 games in each franchise so far).

God of Wars is over like 6 or 7 games, so it's diddly by comparison.

Halo's like 3x Gears or Uncharted.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
?

They've talked about Uncharted as being at the same level as Gears, which is true considering the releases (4 games in each franchise so far).

God of Wars is over like 6 or 7 games, so it's diddly by comparison.

Halo's like 3x Gears or Uncharted.

Halo sells well more than Uncharted but not double (unless you're looking at total series sales, but it's been around for a full generation more). If Jeff just said "Sony doesn't have a Halo" it would have been fine, because they don't have anything that reaches those heights. Or if he'd said "Sony doesn't have anything that sells like Nintendo's first party hits do" it would have been far more accurate because those dwarf everything else from a console maker.

Dear Jeff...

Gamespot: Uncharted Series reaches 21 million units sold. (June 2015)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-series-reaches-21-million-units-sold/1100-6427813/

Eurogamer: God of War Series has sold 21 million copies. (May 2012)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-05-god-of-war-series-has-sold-over-21-million-copies

What are you talking about duder?

Find the LTD sales of the Halo and Gears series and you may have a case.

Exactly. This is what he's talking about, duder.

Gamespot: Halo series sales hit 50 million (December 2012)

Crave: Gears of War Series Surpasses 22 Million Units Sold (January 2014)

EDIT: I'm way way way late to this party.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
They may have sold me on PS Vue. As someone that cut out cable years ago like Jason, I have been toying with the idea of trying alternate means of accessing certain networks, and I kind of like what I have heard in their discussion.

Also as someone relatively very early into Arkham Knight, I didn't feel the discussion spoiled much of anything. At least nothing direct. Felt they were pretty careful not to reveal and talk around anything major. I haven't listened to the PC port drama segment yet in case some bombs drop there though.

Talon

Halo sells well more than Uncharted but not double (unless you're looking at total series sales, but it's been around for a full generation more). If Jeff just said "Sony doesn't have a Halo" it would have been fine, because they don't have anything that reaches those heights. Or if he'd said "Sony doesn't have anything that sells like Nintendo's first party hits do" it would have been far more accurate because those dwarf everything else from a console maker.
Of course I was talking about series sales, just like the quoted poster.

The conversation around Uncharted is weird. When people say it doesn't sell like other key franchise games, they're not saying that it doesn't sell well. 6 million units each for 2 and 3 is great. It's pretty fucking amazing. That's more than entire developers might sell over a decade. Dragon Age: Inquisition sold like, what, 2.5-3 million max?

Jeff and everyone else are just comparing that to the comically huge blockbusters like CoD, Gran Turismo, Halo, and Nintendo first party. Uncharted doesn't capture the cultural zeitgeist to the degree that those games manage to. It's squarely in that Gears of War tier.

Don't know why that's offensive or gets people upset. VIDYA GAME SALEZ.

RE_Player

Despite the crew joking about the whole Destiny fiasco I guarantee Brad will not only get his hands on the Red Bull quest line but also pay $20 for those emotes.

Despite the crew joking about the whole Destiny fiasco I guarantee Brad will not only get his hands on the Red Bull quest line but also pay $20 for those emotes.

I *might* get the $60 complete collection that's missing some emote bullshit but includes all the actual content (this is something they got wrong this podcast, they said there was only an $80 complete version) but i'll wait and see how badly Bungie and Acti want to try and screw me over some more before I agree to anything.

Vire

Exactly. This is what he's talking about, duder.

Gamespot: Halo series sales hit 50 million (December 2012)

Crave: Gears of War Series Surpasses 22 Million Units Sold (January 2014)

EDIT: I'm way way way late to this party.

Halo has eight games in the series... my point was that it was roughly comparable to Gears of War.

Which is literally (or used to be) one of the biggest names in the industry. I'm not exactly sure what Jeff is expecting in terms of console exclusive game sales, but 21/22 million units is great.

The conversation around Uncharted is weird. When people say it doesn't sell like other key franchise games, they're not saying that it doesn't sell well. 6 million units each for 2 and 3 is great. It's pretty fucking amazing. That's more than entire developers might sell over a decade. Dragon Age: Inquisition sold like, what, 2.5-3 million max?

It's not an equal distribution of sales for the Uncharted games. UC3>UC2>UC1. I think most people think that UC3 has sold closer to 8-9 million copies, not 6 million. Which is in the league of the AAA Ubi heavy hitters but on a single platform.

So now we have to spoiler tag inconsequential things because they might be used in a hypothetical game in the future that probably doesn't even exist?

Don't forget that Kate kane also leaves you a voicemail (as well as Vicki vale)

So that's confirmation of both a bat woman game and a reporting game.They got a lot of projects that they committed to just because of some inconsequential in game voicemail

BTA

Well, I sure just clicked this without thinking since I thought it was just about stuff they said in the podcast. I mean, I'll probably forget most of it by the time I'll get to Knight (since I only got around to playing Origins now) and I probably would've seen it coming, but whoops.

I'm realizing that the spoiler I responded sorta harshly to here was mostly about City side missions that I completely forgot were actually in City till I was reading up on the plot to remind myself what happened, whoops. I'm sorry that I'm not very smart, BUNTING!

Dartastic

$180 USD / Month for TV.

I am baffled.
Me too.
This opening 30 minutes is super dull.
Mostly because the only thing more boring than wrestling talk is bitching about how boring wrestling is. Seriously, Jeff goes on and on about how he spends an insane amount of money for something he doesn't like and doesn't watch and yet somehow he can't stop talking about it. Like, what the fuck?
Well, it wasn't just easter eggs, they started talking about the identity of the Arkham Knight, which is obviously one of the game's surprises. While they may not explicitly state who it is, you have three people who've finished the game trying to talk subtly about it.

I skipped forward but cmon, it hasn't even been a WEEK since the game came out.
Ugh. Haven't gotten here yet.

Durden77

I'm Brad and I'm really excited about something and want to relive it vicariously through others so I'm gonna tell you right now.

I mean I can see why some people would say the spoilers aren't that big of a deal, but I know I was very glad I watched the "very minimal spoiler" (that was said after the spoilers were already on screen) quick look after getting nearly to the end of AK, let alone listen to this podcast. I was very surprised by
Joker, especially with Hamill
and how well Rocksteady kept that under wraps. I would've been really bummed if I got that spoiled for me, especially without any warning.

Anyway, it is what it is. Still an entertaining podcast this week. I really need to check out the Beastcast.

Etnos

Banned
Halo has eight games in the series... my point was that it was roughly comparable to Gears of War.

Which is literally (or used to be) one of the biggest names in the industry. I'm not exactly sure what Jeff is expecting in terms of console exclusive game sales, but 21/22 million units is great.

I like both, you can't be seriously comparing the mass appeal of Halo vs Uncharted, I mean just look at the amount of Halo merchandise.

Halo is one of the few vid games that had become a worldwide brand a la Minecraft.

Gears is huge also, as huge if not more than UC.

Etnos

Banned
Just finished listening this bombcast, Dunno about that Arkham PC talk...

Is it me or they becoming increasingly apologetic about some industry practices? I don't enjoy over the top always angry youtube commenter style, but in the other hand It feels like they always justifying studios-publishers

It is one thing to understand why things occur, it is other to justify it. There is no freaking justification for what WB and associated did with that PC version.

So not sure if it was me, but that talk felt like a please understand kind of talk.

TheSpoonyBard

Neo Member
I like both, you can't be seriously comparing the mass appeal of Halo vs Uncharted, I mean just look at the amount of Halo merchandise.

Halo is one of the few vid games that had become a worldwide brand a la Minecraft.

Gears is huge also, as huge if not more than UC.

Actually, Halo and Gears love drops sharply once you leave America/Europe. People here (in Singapore) are either PC and mobile focused or lean to Playstation at least. This certainly holds true for the rest of Asia as well. Worldwide appeal may be a bit strong.

Minecraft, however, is utterly everywhere. It helps greatly that it has an iOS port too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I got nothing apologetic from that talk other than an explanation to why it happens. Unless I've missed something I haven't noticed any parts where they justified it.

Then again did you miss the Xbone reveal where they were saying the DRM stuff might be alright?

erawsd

Just finished listening this bombast, Dunno about that Arkham PC talk...

Is it me or they becoming increasingly apologetic about some industry practices? I don't enjoy over the top always angry youtube commenter style, but in the other hand It feels like they always justifying studios-publishers

It is one thing to understand why things occur, it is other to justify it. There is no freaking justification for what WB and associated did with that PC version.

So not sure if it was me, but that talk felt like a please understand kind of talk.

Cant say I've noticed that. Seemed like they did plenty of shitting on both Batman PC and Destiny. What made you feel like they were justifying it?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

2759553-ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Gattsu25

Banned

That was my impression when they talked about the Ubisoft online only DRM fiasco from years past, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Which E3 Bombcast has this conversation? Wouldn't mind hearing what the corporate response was.

To be fair, the context(not shown in .gif) was mostly focused on the Xbone's announced 'early access' games setup(two of which went live during E3). Jeff reiterated concerns over issues that affect many 'early access' games on Steam and how Xbox plans to avoid that.

Though clearly it was sort of an all encompassing question related to the subject and MCC/AC Unity/etc... Phil actually handled it well and acknowledged MCC as a separate issue before focusing the answer on the topic Jeff asked in the gif. Just know that Jeff wasn't specifically trying to 'nail' these guys on busted 2014 releases as directly as it appears.

Kusagari

I mean they do largely always shit on this stuff still. They just can't seem to muster up any sort of vitriol for the practices. In a way it kind of feels like Jeff and Brad, the only two who actually talk at length on this stuff anyway, are so jaded that they've just sort of accepted a lot of the bullshit.

Top Bottom