• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 06/30/15

Protome

But he doesn't love [GAME I LOVE] as much as I do. That jaded asshole!

What did Brad spoil? I have finished the game but not the podcast.

The Joker stuff that starts...what, an hour into the game? I feel like the only ones who consider it spoilers are people who don't understand that it's 90% of the game.

Seriously, there were more spoilers for the Arkham Knight's identity
in the fucking preorder DLC.
^Obviously don't click if you haven't played AK yet etc etc. That one's a real spoiler.

Also, while I often disagree with his opinions I'm glad Jeff doesn't always agree with the rest of the hosts. Arkham Knight is nowhere near as good as most of them are gushing about it being, the fact that Jeff is there going "Yeah but the Batmobile stuff is complete fucking garbage" is great. Because he's right.
Also Shenmue is just a poor man's Yakuza.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The Joker stuff that starts...what, an hour into the game? I feel like the only ones who consider it spoilers are people who don't understand that it's 90% of the game.

Seriously, there were more spoilers for the Arkham Knight's identity
in the fucking preorder DLC.
^Obviously don't click if you haven't played AK yet etc etc. That one's a real spoiler.

What
Joker stuff? That he appears? No real way to not show that stuff because it happens all the time.
I don't know anything about Batman but even I was able to guess who the Arkham Knight is despite the game being INCREDIBLY SUBTLE about it.
There is a point where the game was really screaming "THIS IS THE ARKHAM KNIGHT! DID YOU GET THAT?" while still trying to be "Oh, who might this Arkham Knight guy be? Maybe it's Alfred? Or maybe it's Batman?" which was pretty silly.

Protome

What
Joker stuff? That he appears? No real way to not show that stuff because it happens all the time.
I don't know anything about Batman but even I was able to guess who the Arkham Knight is despite the game being INCREDIBLY SUBTLE about it.

Yes, that's literally all he says about it. That it's there.
I actually didn't guess until the Film Studio section. But that was more because I didn't know if those events had happened in the Arkham versions of the world.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Let's not misrepresent Jeff. He loves big budget QTE games like CoD Advanced Warfare, Far Cry 4 and Shadow of Mordor.

He just doesn't like the recent 3 games that everyone likes, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3 and Batman.

He likes bloodborne.

pizzacat

Banned
What
There is a point where the game was really screaming "THIS IS THE ARKHAM KNIGHT! DID YOU GET THAT?" while still trying to be "Oh, who might this Arkham Knight guy be? Maybe it's Alfred? Or maybe it's Batman?" which was pretty silly.
If you've ever read an arc or watched an animated movie about batman you would know the moment he's introduced

calling him old man the first time they met was too much lmao

hamchan

Arkham Knight turns out to be the guy everyone thought he would be, I agree with Jason on that. It's not a surprise really.

How exactly is he jaded? Because he doesn't jump on the first hype train he sees like people on forums like to do?

It's funny how people ignore anything positive he has to say about games like if you are realistic, you have to be cynical. I can guarantee you that Jeff's opinions are going to hold up in the long run because he isn't easily blinded by hype and word of mouth. If anything, this field needs more people like him. He is wise and realistic while others naively jump from one hype train to the next, buying into all of the marketing.

When he is completely ecstatic about a game, you can be damn sure that it's going to be a good game. He was raving about Just Cause 3 at E3 and I trust his opinion on it because he's honest and can see through BS when it's there.

I agree that he doesn't get wrapped up in the over the top hype cycles that get whipped up with each major game announcement, which I appreciate. However, I wouldn't go as far as declaring his opinion on games to be anything more than just that, one man's opinion. Just like everyone here, there are games that he likes and games that he doesn't. I think too much is made about whether Jeff likes a game or not. Sometimes I agree with him, most of the time I don't but I don't see a reason to get bothered by what he has to say about a game, outside of factually inaccurate statements.

How heavy do the GB guys go into Batman spoilers?

Couple minutes into the Arkham convo and they already seem to be revealing stuff I kinda don't wanna know.

hamchan

How heavy do the GB guys go into Batman spoilers?

Couple minutes into the Arkham convo and they already seem to be revealing stuff I kinda don't wanna know.

Not that heavy. It's just Brad revealing an extremely minor easter egg, albeit a cool one.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yes, that's literally all he says about it. That it's there.
I actually didn't guess until the Film Studio section. But that was more because I didn't know if those events had happened in the Arkham versions of the world.

I didn't guess until then too but that's cause I don't know anything about Batman outside of the Arkham games and the movies, however I already guessed that it had to be
some well known ally of his and after they introduced this character is was immediately obvious. Not the games fault really cause they had to show who this guy is but it kinda spoiled the surprise. It would have been cool if they set this whole thing up in Arkham City so it wouldn't be THAT obvious.

faridmon

A lot of the stuff in future Arkham games (
Azreal, Arkham City, Batman dying, and Hush
) were foreshadowed in similar ways in their predecessor. I wouldn't be shocked if they were laying the groundwork for something with that.

Question for a potentially huge spoiler

Wait Batman is dead?

Seventy70

Goddammit do people take sales numbers seriously. Do they forget that this is a casual podcast and not some kind of thesis?

Nothing from the Arkham Knight section really felt like a spoiler. It's just a couple of easter eggs really.

Now, that spoiler Brad dropped about how the end of how Broken Age episode 1 plays out was some bullshit. People had been holding off on playing the game until episode 2 came out and Broken Age had just launched on Sony platforms so there was a huge chunk of new players to the game that he spoiled for no reason other than he just couldn't contain himself.

Goddammit do people take sales numbers seriously. Do they forget that this is a casual podcast and not some kind of thesis?

It's a weird insecurity thing. MAH GAME SOLD BETTA THAN YOU SAID IT DID, who cares? It's going to affect those games and those franchises 0 percent whether the GB crew thinks they sold gangbusters or are in a pile of dirt somewhere in the Nevada desert.

Fireblend

Banned
I thought the discussion was kinda boring tbh. Not many things going on that particularly interest me.

The question about augmentation was fun tho!

FluxWaveZ

It's a weird insecurity thing. MAH GAME SOLD BETTA THAN YOU SAID IT DID, who cares? It's going to affect those games and those franchises 0 percent whether the GB crew thinks they sold gangbusters or are in a pile of dirt somewhere in the Nevada desert.

It's just more interesting to me when discussions are based around details that aren't wrong, so the points made from them can be more meaningful.

tuxfool

Banned

True. It is however the basis of their opinion that the PS franchises have weaker pulling power. So then saying that the PS4 is not capitalizing on their franchises is somewhat false. It isn't an issue if it is their impression or at least personal preference for x franchise, but they did bring up the sales potential.

B_Signal

I'm not defending it but I don't think it's that. If someone makes a statement and they're wrong, particularly if they sound very sure and have a decent reach, people get annoyed

Giant Bomb would be a lot better off recognising and admitting that they just don't know the answer sometimes

MisterR

Nothing from the Arkham Knight section really felt like a spoiler. It's just a couple of easter eggs really.

Now, that spoiler Brad dropped about how the end of how Broken Age episode 1 plays out was some bullshit. People had been holding off on playing the game until episode 2 came out and Broken Age had just launched on Sony platforms so there was a huge chunk of new players to the game that he spoiled for no reason other than he just couldn't contain himself.

Kind of weird to spin people wanting them to get basic facts, that most of your average neogaf poster know, correct as insecurity. It's just lazy when they get paid to cover this stuff. It is a weird insecurity that any critism of GB has to be defended and spun to attack the people who have an issue with some aspect of the podcast. They are big boys. They can handle getting called out when they can't even manage to get basic facts correct.

Curufinwe

The weird insecurity comes from people who get upset when the Giant Bomb guys are criticized for being ignorant and giving opinions based on incorrect information.

blakep267

I'm not defending it but I don't think it's that. If someone makes a statement and they're wrong, particularly if they sound very sure and have a decent reach, people get annoyed

Giant Bomb would be a lot better off recognising and admitting that they just don't know the answer sometimes
He wasn't really wrong though. Gears is bigger than uncharted and God of war. Even if by 1 million sales it's still bigger.

Hindl

I *need* Jeff's jade. I saw the phrase "Is Rocksteady Arkham Best Trilogy in Gaming?" earlier and knew only Jeff's sweet indifference could wash the taste out of my mouth

Yeah especially after so many times getting caught up in a game pre-release (or even after beating it) where I think it's the best game ever, only upon later reflection to find it was alright, I find Jeff's skepticism refreshing

The weird insecurity comes from people who get upset when the Giant Bomb guys are criticized for being ignorant and giving opinions based on incorrect information.

eh, they get shit wrong. but the only people upset with them getting this wrong seem to be people who are invested in those franchises. I just don't have that level of investment in something that i would be bothered by them giving the wrong impression regarding sales. and that comes from someone who owns a PS4 and zero xbox machines.

It just seems like something that would only upset people invested in Sony and those franchises. As someone who likes and has played all of those games, meh. And i ripped brad in that same post, i don't have qualms with criticizing them. Just doesn't strike me as something worth getting upset over.

Gears was 4 games to Uncharted's 3 games.

i imagine that uncharted number includes the vita game, no?

MisterR

eh, they get shit wrong. but the only people upset with them getting this wrong seem to be people who are invested in those franchises. I just don't have that level of investment in something that i would be bothered by them giving the wrong impression regarding sales. and that comes from someone who owns a PS4 and zero xbox machines.

It just seems like something that would only upset people invested in Sony and those franchises. As someone who likes and has played all of those games, meh. And i ripped brad in that same post, i don't have qualms with criticizing them. Just doesn't strike me as something worth getting upset over.

i imagine that uncharted number includes the vita game, no?

If it did, what could it have honestly sold? Maybe a million at best. I'd say at this point it's pretty clear Uncharted is a bigger franchise than Gears.

I'm taking a wild guess that AK is
a former Robin
, isnt it? please only confirm if i'm right and don't tell me who it is if i'm wrong.

Also, if what i'm guessing at is correct then how different is this than POSSIBLE SPOILERS
the Red Hood storyline? Isn't it basically the same thing?

hamchan

I'm taking a wild guess that AK is
a former Robin
, isnt it? please only confirm if i'm right and don't tell me who it is if i'm wrong.

Also, if what i'm guessing at is correct then how different is this than POSSIBLE SPOILERS
the Red Hood storyline? Isn't it basically the same thing?

Yes to all.

Yes to all.

yeah, well i'm not surprised at all. It seems like the most obvious thing in the world. You'd think the world's greatest detective would've cracked that nut right away hah.

I guess i just need to see where the story eventually goes once they iron out the issues with the PC version. I imagine that it'll be a decent ride regardless.

FStop7

Banned
Hath someone besmirched the honour of my Internet dads? Allow me to bitterly retort with some sales figures and dismissivy hand-wave away spoiling major plot points for newly released games as being acceptable because reasons.

MisterR

There was the Vita one, which probably sold about as much as Judgement.

I highly doubt that, but all of this is beside the point. They were off basis with the whole theory that PS franchises don't have the pull of MS's. Even if you think Gears sold one million more than Uncharted, that is not a meaningful difference.

Vire

I love jaded Jeff. He actually likes good games and not the latest QTE clickefest that gaf is circle-jerking over.

Also I couldn't care less about spoilers for a game like Batman. Who plays that for the story?
In what universe is The Witcher, Batman and Bloodborne a QTE clickfest.

I don't get GAF sometimes...

tuxfool

Banned

Are people upset? Or are people just correcting them?

Are people upset? Or are people just correcting them?

I dunno, it makes no difference to me either way given that it comes off as nitpicky regardless of how the poster feels and/or what their intent is. They're entitled to feel as they do, just sayin' that it really isn't much of a thing to make a fuss over. Meh.

tuxfool

Banned
I dunno, it makes no difference to me either way given that it comes off as nitpicky regardless of how the poster feels and/or what their intent is. They're entitled to feel as they do, just sayin' that it really isn't much of a thing to make a fuss over. Meh.

Fine, lets not ever correct anything, or even discuss critically something somebody says. What is the point of this thread?

You're the only one that seems to be complaining about it.

Seventy70

I don't know if you pay attention, but they say that all the time. Almost every sentence about speculation is sprinkled with, "We could be completely wrong." or "I'm not sure." to the point where it gets kind of annoying. But I guess they have to do it or else people will jump on them for the slightest of things.
Kind of weird to spin people wanting them to get basic facts, that most of your average neogaf poster know, correct as insecurity. It's just lazy when they get paid to cover this stuff. It is a weird insecurity that any critism of GB has to be defended and spun to attack the people who have an issue with some aspect of the podcast. They are big boys. They can handle getting called out when they can't even manage to get basic facts correct.

They don't get paid to cover this stuff, they get paid to make personality based content which happens to be around games a lot of the time. The reason they get defended is because people take things way too serious like if they get one fact wrong, they are somehow lazy. Doesn't it seem odd that people would get so caught up in sales numbers out of everything? Like I said earlier, this isn't some kind of thesis, this is a casual conversation between friends. Maybe the reason the podcast has become so passive and they've become more scared to speak up is because people berate them over the slightest mistake. If you are talking for 3 hours a week, you will make some mistakes or say something dumb. That's just apart of the magic.

Fine, lets not ever correct anything, or even discuss critically something somebody says. What is the point of this thread?

You're the only one that seems to be complaining about it.

you seem to enjoy putting words in my mouth.

I never said any of that, i simply said this isn't a thing worth getting in a tizzy over. Like i said earlier, i have no qualms with them being criticized and have criticized them in this very thread. This issue with sales-age seems like something not really worth the energy to get upset over but go ahead and keep blowing your load.

tuxfool

Banned
you seem to enjoy putting words in my mouth.

I never said any of that, i simply said this isn't a thing worth getting in a tizzy over. Like i said earlier, i have no qualms with them being criticized and have criticized them in this very thread. This issue with sales-age seems like something not really worth the energy to get upset over but go ahead and keep blowing your load.

I'll just say, that while it might not matter to you, to me it seems you're ignoring an axiom of the internet that when people misstate facts or seemingly do, you're going to get corrections from commentators.

My particular issue with what you said is that you're implying that people are making a big deal out of it, when it just seems business as usual.

Either way, I'll stop now, it seems self-defeating to argue this further.

daveo42

Banned
The lack of game talk this episode was kind of disappointing. I've only been mildly interested in the Batman games and I kind of wish we had more of Jeff's dissenting view on the game like we get from the endless Destiny talk.

Oh boy though...that Destiny related news. Still such a shitshow that came out of all of that.

I thought the discussion was kinda boring tbh. Not many things going on that particularly interest me.

The question about augmentation was fun tho!

Best part of the podcast this week. Made me look like a cackling idiot in the cafeteria this morning.

wiener stuff

Top Bottom