• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 07/07/15

Chuck

Still without luck
6afe58b89210e417608a43a6c510df1a.png

Yeah "only 20 people." To be fair I don't know how many of those are active accounts, but if you check the servers on the weekends or on busy days, they're usually getting pretty well populated.
Pretty sure that is people that have ever played. Which is a low number.

There were less than 100 people playing last night.

Dazzler

one of the most enjoyable pods in a long time. Couple of genuine laugh out loud moments that got me some odd looks at the gym

Whenever they reference "message board chatter" I'm just picturing them with a sneaky GAF tab open at work like we all have.... HI GUYS!!

No_Style

There's a noticeable spike in energy in this week's episode. Those few days off must have done wonders for the entire crew. Jeff was especially on point today.

DirectXXX.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm glad Jeff is gonna give Witcher 3 another shot when the new patch comes out.

Yea, I don't expect much will change in the conversation next time around. Would be great if some actual meaningful 'progression' discussion presented itself as many of us also slowly trudge through this massive and endearing game as they once had(I too recently jumped back in after a month hiatus). Sadly, the vacuum was put away and I would be shocked if the next Witcher 3 check-in went any differently than the disengaged bummerfest this week.

KingKong

Yea, I don't expect much will change in the conversation next time around. Would be great if some actual meaningful 'progression' discussion presented itself as many of us also slowly trudge through this massive and endearing game as they once had(I too recently jumped back in after a month hiatus). Sadly, the vacuum was put away and I would be shocked if the next Witcher 3 check-in went any differently than the disengaged bummerfest this week.

there's always the Beastcast if you're looking for meaningful game discussion

eznark

Banned
There's a noticeable spike in energy in this week's episode. Those few days off must have done wonders for the entire crew. Jeff was especially on point today.

DirectXXX.

Maybe they listened to the latest Beastcast and realized they had become a clip-on tie of a show.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I named my vault 187 just like Jeff. Great minds think alike.

Volotaire

What's the diff between Giant Bombcast, Giant Beastcast, their respective premiums, and Gaming Minute, 8-4, etc?

Giantbomb now has two arms in their business. They have a West coast team in San Fransisco and an East Coast team in New York. Their main podcast, the Bombcast, is in the West Coast in their main office. The Beastcast is a new addition from a month ago in the East Coast.

There are also other premium podcasts such as Alt -F1 (about F1 racing), Danswers (a life podcast) , Powerbombcast (a wrestling podcast) and other one offs that are irregularly produced. There are more I have missed.

Gaming Minute is a 1 minute radio fill segment aired on radio stations that Jeff sometimes completes because someone at CBS thought it would be a good idea. It summarises random topics and trends in the video game industry in 1 minute.

They have a number of premium series dating from years ago. Examples include regular streaming shows where they play random games called Unprofessional Fridays (formerly TNT) and the Old games Show (where they play older games). Other examples are Metal Gear Scanlon, Demo Derby, Breaking Bad, unique one point videos, behind the scenes of creating videos, alternative viewpoints to their regular free streams and more.

8-4 happens to have their podcast hosted on GB. They are a group of individuals involved in localisation of Japanese games.

8-4, Ltd. is an independent video game localization company based in Shibuya, Tokyo. The company was founded in 2005 by Hiroko Minamoto and former EGM editor John Ricciardi. They were joined by Ricciardi's EGM colleague Mark MacDonald in 2008. Wikipedia

EDIT: Quicklooks are the main video content for games coverage on the site. They look at new releases 9or betas) for a period of time and talk over and comment. they used to do video reviews but felt this was unnecessary.

Other major content they also cover are their E3 after night shows, GOTY podcasts, Extra Life charity streams and the Big Live Show (with other friends of the site/collaborators/former Whisky Media companies).

Fjordson

What's the diff between Giant Bombcast, Giant Beastcast, their respective premiums, and Gaming Minute, 8-4, etc?
Bombcast is the main show, been around since the start of the site, with Jeff, Brad, Dan, Drew/Jason. Beastcast is from the New York office. With Vinny, Alex and the new guy Austin.

8-4 is totally separate, Giant Bomb just hosts it because they're friends. It's recorded in Japan at the 8-4 offices (8-4 is an independent localization company) and features former American game journos working in Japan.

Edit: beaten

erawsd

Yeah, beyond Jason and maybe Dan, I would be surprised if anyone even comes close to finishing Witcher. 100 hours is a hell of a time commitment, and I dont think I've seen them ever dedicate that kind of time to a single player game before. Skyrim is a weird exception in the sense that the main quest is maybe 6-7 hours long, so you pretty much finish Skyrim when you are ready to finish Skyrim.

Jeff with the harsh truth about Nintendo. I think he's right on the money about where they are going. People expecting some SNES 2 type renaissance to happen keep setting themselves up for disappointment.

And they rightfully shit on Red Ash, but now I am wishing we could have heard their thoughts on the latest developments on that KS. Apparently they are promising to do a console port, but you won't know which console it is until after the KS is over and they have taken your money.

I mean, I want a box to play my Nintendo content on. Everything else tends to get a PC release, so I'm not losing out at all. It's only a harsh truth to people who don't realize that is the point of Nintendo now, as Jeff said. Although with Horizon coming soon, I'll probably have to get a PS4.

I mean, I want a box to play my Nintendo content on. Everything else tends to get a PC release, so I'm not losing out at all. It's only a harsh truth to people who don't realize that is the point of Nintendo now, as Jeff said. Although with Horizon coming soon, I'll probably have to get a PS4.

I'm speaking more of the people that like clockwork talk about how Nintendo needs to match MS/Sony on power and try to fight them for third parties. I agree with Jeff in that I think when Nintendo speaks of third parties that's just lip service. They know they will never get any real meaningful third party support, and I think they also know their hardware only needs to be powerful enough to adequately run their own games, not EAs or Ubisoft's or Activision's.

The people who do that are as obnoxiously self-interested as those who won't give a ripshit about any Nintendo game "but would really like to see it on 360".

Anyways, with that Dena thing, I have no belief that Nintendo even needs Sony or MS, and probably not PC(?) anymore. They've thrown their hat in the mobile ring and it overfloweth with yennies.

Gotta get my DL going when I get home.

Ah man, they diss SS eh. That was a damn fun game.

Jason reps Toukiden!
SS always came off to me as one of the most try-hard grimdark art directions and plots I've ever seen in a game.

Jintor

when nintendo speaks 3rd parties these days i suspect it means mobile third parties.

i will probably be perfectly happy with my pc + nintendbox until the end of time + whatever console has an exclusive good enough to pull me to the side, but the chances of that being a non-nintendo party have to date historically been low

Bombcast seriously reaffirming themselves as the superior Giantcast this week. Felt like I really learned a lot of things by the end of it.

What was Jeff exactly referring to Shenmue backers being dumb? My mind sorta glazed over KS talking and I didn't catch that bit.

What was Jeff exactly referring to Shenmue backers being dumb? My mind sorta glazed over KS talking and I didn't catch that bit.

They had some whole thing where they wanted to bug the shit out of popular games people to try and get more money and attention on the project, if I'm thinking of what he's thinking of.

They had some whole thing where they wanted to bug the shit out of popular games people to try and get more money and attention on the project, if I'm thinking of what he's thinking of.

"had"

They're still actively pushing it. Also they're convinced it will sell like a blockbuster and will generate Shenmue 4, which is insane considering we don't even know how Shenmue 3 will shape up yet.

Not sure how I feel about the break music this time around..

I was very disappointed.

Actually I think it's probably this now that I think about it:

They were creating petitions to have the people running the KS fired, because they were doing a disservice to the honor of Suzuki-san.

See now I'm wondering what the KS guys have done to get some morons pissed off.

Lork

Pretty sure that is people that have ever played. Which is a low number.

There were less than 100 people playing last night.
Steamspy said:
Developer: Nadeo Publisher: Ubisoft
Genre: Racing, Sports
Release date: Jun 20, 2013 Price: $9.99
Userscore: 90%
Owners: 233,129 ± 10,936
Players in the last 2 weeks: 16,431 ± 2,904 (7.05%)
Players total: 199,055 ± 10,106 (85.38%)
Maniaplanet.com said:
13,659 players in the last 24h

Nope.

ArjanN

No, that's just literally every kickstarter and is generally not even a bad idea as long as you're not a dick about it. I'm sure that's actually part of why the GB guys are kinda down on KS though, haha. I imagine they get bombarded with this stuff from every kickstarter.

They were talking about this:

They were creating petitions to have the people running the KS fired, because they were doing a disservice to the honor of Suzuki-san.

But let's be fair though, that petition had like 20 signatures, out of 50,000 backers. Those were just some fringe loons.

See now I'm wondering what the KS guys have done to get some morons pissed off.

They had a live stream that had audio issues, and one guy looked pretty high. That was about it.

Myggen

No, that's just literally every kickstarter and is generally not even a bad idea as long as you're not a dick about it. I'm sure that's actually part of why the GB guys are kinda down on KS though, haha. I imagine they get bombarded with this stuff from every kickstarter.

They've pretty much said as much. Jeff has talked about how many emails they get from people running Kickstarters, and I'm sure they get 10 times as many emails from backers who want outlets to promote those Kickstarters.

It feels like Dan has been MIA since E3. Or GB as a whole, they haven't put out much content this past month outside of the regular weekly things.

hamchan

It feels like Dan has been MIA since E3. Or GB as a whole, they haven't put ouch much content this past month outside of the regular weekly things.

This week has had a lot of content. Dan was on the Old Games Show today. Jeff playing Trackmania tomorrow and Vinnyvania in 2 days time too.

Volotaire

It feels like Dan has been MIA since E3. Or GB West as a whole, they haven't put ouch much content this past month outside of the regular weekly things.

At GB West, they are moving floors in the building to one floor down. So a lot of their time is presumingly being taken up by transferring all their equipment and setting up a new studio layout. Moreover, some of the staff usually take the week after E3 as their week break/off. This weeks looks like a return to regularity. Breaking Bad, Old Games Show, UPF, quicklooks, Jeff plays Trackmania 2 and MGScanlon next week (their promo was this week too).

This week has had a lot of content. Dan was on the Old Games Show today. Jeff playing Trackmania tomorrow and Vinnyvania in 2 days time too.
At GB West, they are moving floors in the building to one floor down. So a lot of their time is presumingly being taken up by transferring all their equipment and setting up a new studio layout. Moreover, some of the staff usually take the week after E3 as their week break/off. This weeks looks like a return to regularity. Breaking Bad, Old Games Show, UPF, quicklooks, Jeff plays Trackmania 2 and MGScanlon next week (their promo was this week too).
I hadn't realized there was an Old Games show. And yeah, the upcoming schedule looks like they are bouncing back. Though some of my antipathy was because I'm burned out on the endless grind of GB Souls content and the current incarnation of Breaking Brad holds no appeal for me.

danm999

When Rare releases that huge box of games later this year they should put Jeff's quote about Viva Pinsta being "fun incest" on the cover.

LiK

It feels like Dan has been MIA since E3. Or GB as a whole, they haven't put out much content this past month outside of the regular weekly things.

Huh, plenty of QLs and premium videos lately. I haven't even caught up to the stuff from last week. Lack of content? I don't think so.

Huh, plenty of QLs and premium videos lately. I haven't even caught up to the stuff from last week. Lack of content? I don't think so.

They barely put out anything last week and haven't really done many QLs since E3. Though as I've said the upcoming schedule looks much better.

And the last UPF was amazing.

Top Bottom