• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ducky_McGee said:
Female cyclist gaf. Please recommend me a saddle. I've taken to riding my bike around to stay fit and I find I have issues with the saddle that came with the bike. I'm riding 7 miles or so every day/other day.

Guybike gaf here. Just go to a decent bike shop and you will see several different kinds of bike seats available. The brand that i picked up for my bike actually has the guy/girl symbol on their products to differentiate more clearly. Guy bike seats will generally have a larger slit down the middle to alleviate pressure on the perenium. Since you dont have to worry about that, you'll find girls seats will be a bit wider (or narrower depending on your type of cycle/preference) but they will all be comfy

Just get a comfy one and youre set really.

Onion_Relish said:
Guybike gaf here. Just go to a decent bike shop and you will see several different kinds of bike seats available. The brand that i picked up for my bike actually has the guy/girl symbol on their products to differentiate more clearly. Guy bike seats will generally have a larger slit down the middle to alleviate pressure on the perenium. Since you dont have to worry about that, you'll find girls seats will be a bit wider (or narrower depending on your type of cycle/preference) but they will all be comfy

Just get a comfy one and youre set really.

The normal saddle seems comfy until you're riding it for an hour or so.

Prax

Rikkun said:
So Girl-GAF is true. Nice.

Sooo, what is this "friend-zone" thing you always do? Is this a silly and old excuse (as I think) or do you girls really stop thinking about people's gender when they get friendly?

Hope I'm not derailing the topic here, I also wanted to know how to recognize a girl in his period but I guess getting punches and evil stares is enough.

I think it's a.. strategy to be nice and take pity on a guy who you obviously don't want to date. But the guy still wants to stick around for whatever reason, so you tolerate them. Do guys not friendzone girls they aren't attracted to? Come on.
And a guy and a girl can be platonic friends. I don't understand people when they say they can't.

It is hard to recognize when a girl is on their period unless they say explicit things about it. Some girls are just moodier than others. Why do you even care? (trying to figure out when sex is no-go?). Don't get fooled by the myth that all girls turn into crazy people when menstruating.

Kisaya

Prax said:
I do that too! I find sketching in margins while taking notes is a fun challenge. And for some reason, it helps me remember what I'm learning better. xD Maybe because I try to integrate what I'm supposed to be learning with the sketches. I want to go back to taking art classes because I like getting some kind of credit for things, but I suppose that takes money...

Anyone in my family that has gotten into art seems to say art school kills their soul. My little sister is going in graphic design, as well as my younger cousin. I think the fact that they are forced to do art as an assignment thing instead of for their own pleasure kills the intrinsic value it holds to them. Same with my older cousin who went into illustration and her friend that did the same with her. Apparently they didn't do art for years after they graduated because of how schooling drained the joy out of it for them. I fear that happening too if I ever wanted to go get some kind of formal art education... Though I suppose I don't need it. I just like the extra credentials. >_>

Well my college is a fashion/art/business school (FIT), so I figure while I'm there I should take advantage of what they have while I'm still in school.
And I think you get more freedom if you study Illustration. My friend is currently majoring it and has a pretty diverse curriculum. My friends that are in Fine Arts though are dreading every class hahaha, they all pretty much want to switch to Illustration or Graphic Design.

shanshan310 said:
girls can be bros too.

BHyxH.png

Adorablest thing I will see today.

Clegg

I've been friendzoned by girls before and it does suck a bit but on the brightside some of them are really good friends now.

My GF seems to approve. She says it makes me more sensitive to "girl problems".

I just nod when she says this. I actually have no idea what she is talking about.

Rikkun

Prax said:
I think it's a.. strategy to be nice and take pity on a guy who you obviously don't want to date. But the guy still wants to stick around for whatever reason, so you tolerate them. Do guys not friendzone girls they aren't attracted to? Come on.
And a guy and a girl can be platonic friends. I don't understand people when they say they can't.

It is hard to recognize when a girl is on their period unless they say explicit things about it. Some girls are just moodier than others. Why do you even care? (trying to figure out when sex is no-go?). Don't get fooled by the myth that all girls turn into crazy people when menstruating.

I don't know, IIRC I have a single female friend. And yeah, I don't count her as a female because I don't like her and we went to primary school together (this didn't save me from dating a _____ for 4 months). She also has a BF, and I never count engaged girls into the game (lol).
Also, I never stay friend with a girl who rejected me. Things just get too weird for me you can be friends only if both are perfectly fine with it IMO.

About period.. well with gfs I usually keep the count and I'm not that lame to stay home when she's unaviable. It's mostly to know when it would be better to ask a girl out. I don't want to burn my chances just because she's onlye dreaming of ripping her own belly apart and slamming her ovaries against the wall.

Kisaya

Rikkun said:

Sooo, what is this "friend-zone" thing you always do? Is this a silly and old excuse (as I think) or do you girls really stop thinking about people's gender when they get friendly?

Hope I'm not derailing the topic here, I also wanted to know how to recognize a girl in his period but I guess getting punches and evil stares is enough.

Sometimes there are guys out there who think we're being nice cause we're into them, but it's really just us being friendly. I'll admit there are girls who really do act flirty when talking to their guy friends but most of the time they don't even realize they can be leading on someone. One day I was with a guy friend of mine and I started just playing around with the palm of his hand. A week later he asked one of my friends if I liked him and used that day as an example. Maybe he's just really naiive but that's what I get most of time.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
cooljeanius said:
Go back a little farther, there should be a post where everyone puts their GAF names to their real names.
(I'm Eric "E-Money" Gallager on there btw)

I forgot cooljeanius was your GAF name. It might be better to start a new thread to lists usernames, as the original one was done months ago. Facebook-GAF is fairly active.

kisaya said:
Sometimes there are guys out there who think we're being nice cause we're into them, but it's really just us being friendly.

I'm glad that by 19ish I stopped having this problem.

Rikkun

kisaya said:
Sometimes there are guys out there who think we're being nice cause we're into them, but it's really just us being friendly. I'll admit there are girls who really do act flirty when talking to their guy friends but most of the time they don't even realize they can be leading on someone. One day I was with a guy friend of mine and I started just playing around with the palm of his hand. A week later he asked one of my friends if I liked him and used that day as an example. Maybe he's just really naiive but that's what I get most of time.

Playing around with his palm? hmm, I can see why he started doubting.
Also, I like being flirty too, I just enjoy it. Sometimes I do it even before realising I like the girl. But if she falls for my stupid play, I usually won't deny anything.

Satch

Banned
Clegg said:
I've been friendzoned by girls before and it does suck a bit but on the brightside some of them are really good friends now.

My GF seems to approve. She says it makes me more sensitive to "girl problems".

I just nod when she says this. I actually have no idea what she is talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5hGycjahU

kisaya said:
Guys don't pass off physical contact as much as girls do. Had to learn that myself in high school. Physical contact is an intimacy thing to a lot of guys.

Clegg

Satchwar said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5hGycjahU
I'm probably the complete opposite of Jonny Bravo IRL :(

But I wouldnt call myself sensitive. I think guys and girls have a different understanding of the word "sensitive".

kisaya said:

Women rarely show their interests, so a lot of guys rely on these tiny/subtle signs to gauge interest and decide if they should make a move. Maybe it is naivete, but sometimes it's all they really have to act on.

I think the previous poster was asking about something different though. Guys commonly say a women will lose romantic interest in someone who doesn't make a move fast enough. I can totally understand the friendzone with guys they weren't interested in to begin with, but this is quite a bit different and I wonder if there's any truth to it.

ikkemenx

Rikkun said:

I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but I often find that there is this misconception guys have where things are going great until they mess up somehow and land in the friend-zone. In my experience (and what I've seen happen with my peers) is that the friend-zone was always the destination for said guy and it just doesn't become apparent until a certain moment. It seems guys imagine everything up until then to be a sign of things going well and when reality hits it's like "oh, something must have happened because I'm in the friend-zone now". Much easier to believe that you had a chance then blew it than to not have had a chance at all. You've probably heard this before but overall "date-ability" is something many girls (and guys) decide upon first meeting a person. With plenty of exceptions, of course.

Prax

Tkawsome said:
I think the previous poster was asking about something different though. Guys commonly say a women will lose romantic interest in someone who doesn't make a move fast enough. I can totally understand the friendzone with guys they weren't interested in to begin with, but this is quite a bit different and I wonder if there's any truth to it.

I GUESS it's possible that some girls could get bored of a guy that doesn't show interest right away. But.. most girls I know like to actually be friends with a guy before dating them, which would kill this whole "be fast or be friendzoned" theory. In fact, I think it's totally messed up or awkward to go out with someone you don't know that well but just asks you out of the blue. I think it totally depends on the girl. Then again, I am generally irritated or confused by the whole dating scene and all that that nonsense, so take my views with a grain of salt. :D

Kisaya

My best friend had a close guy friend confess to her. She really thinks he's a great guy and someone who would treat her right, but she just isn't attracted to him. She's one of those girls who can be perceived as flirty around guys she hangs around with (ex. excessive hugging, sitting on their laps, long conversations at night, etc etc), so he pretty much jumped at a chance he thought he had. At the time she was looking into a relationship with a friend of his so it really killed her turning him down. The good thing though is that they're still really close so it didn't damage their friendship, who knows what will happen later.

Sometimes I try to be careful with my guy friends so I don't have something like that happen to me. At the same time though it sucks to stop doing something you're really accustomed to doing with everyone.

kisaya said:
The good thing though is that they're still really close so it didn't damage their friendship, who knows what will happen later.
Yeah, I can't imagine it will last. I haven't seen that sort of thing work out well... ever. Maybe this is the exception though.

But yeah, girls just look at physicality in a totally different way from guys, in my experience. And that's the key thing that leads a guy on.

Kisaya

Tkawsome said:
Women rarely show their interests, so a lot of guys rely on these tiny/subtle signs to gauge interest and decide if they should make a move. Maybe it is naivete, but sometimes it's all they really have to act on.

From what I've observed with my friends, girls will lose interest if they find out a guy likes them as well and doesn't act on it. Specifically, if they both know they like each other and the guy doesn't act on it, then the girl doesn't bother going further.
However I say if I found out the guy I like is interested in me too, then I'll just jump on it =_= Who really cares in the end.

ikkemenx

kisaya said:
From what I've observed with my friends, girls will lose interest if they find out a guy likes them as well and doesn't act on it. Specifically, if they both know they like each other and the guy doesn't act on it, then the girl doesn't bother going further.
However I say if I found out the guy I like is interested in me too, then I'll just jump on it =_= Who really cares in the end.

Same, haha. It's more of a losing "patience" than interest, though, especially if you're kind of getting those vibes from a few guys and have no idea what to do. When I was younger I would wait and wait for things to happen under more "romantic" circumstances. I don't really care about that anymore.

Prax

Ketchup Boy said:
Is it okay for me to want to only date girls that look like my ex?

Only if the look your ex has is really just a preference, and not because you're trying to relive some kind of relationship you had with your ex. Also, do not compare your new girl to your ex. That can only lead to tears and bruised egos.

Kisaya

ikkemenx said:
Same, haha. It's more of a losing "patience" than interest, though, especially if you're kind of getting those vibes from a few guys and have no idea what to do. When I was younger I would wait and wait for things to happen under more "romantic" circumstances. I don't really care about that anymore.

That's what one of my guy friends did for a girl he liked. He waited and waited because he was looking for the "perfect moment." In the end the girl who previously was in love with him started noticing little things she didn't like about him and just lost interest. The whole thing was kinda annoying though since they were both so inexperienced and then she just dropped him so quick over dumb little things, so I'm kinda glad it didn't work out for him.

Leeness

Nymeria88 said:
I know I wear the wrong size, but If I go get fitted I am worried that many stores wont carry my size. I already have trouble finding them now. And they NEVER make cute bras in a size bigger than a C. :(

I'm totally late, but...

I don't know where you live, but if you have it in the area:

http://www.change.com/en-ca/

This is my new favourite place EVER.

I'm a 32I and this place has decently affordable bras (usually I'd own one bra that cost me fucking $120 for two years and then go again) around $35-50, AND they have cute ones, in all sizes.

Also, hello Girl-GAF, I hope this stays open. :)

ikkemenx

BladeWorker said:
Would make me wonder what your hangup with your ex is.

Not healthy. I'm the opposite. If I notice someone attractive happens to resemble my ex in any way, I'm completely turned off.

Tkawsome said:

It's hard for me to tell the difference between flirting and just being nice, so I just pass it all off as a girl just being nice to me and refuse to act on it.

Rikkun

Yeah, the problem is waiting too long. Damn, I'll strike tomorrow
LLShC.gif

Would be easier if girls had some clear code, or tried to do something instead of waiting for the friend-zone. Happened to me only once (average looking for my country, so :\) and it felt so damn good and right.

Didn't want to turn this thread into a GirlGAF gives advices on dates, sorry :(

PS: Let me in, facebook group!

ikkemenx

Rikkun said:
Yeah, the problem is waiting too long. Damn, I'll strike tomorrow
LLShC.gif

Would be easier if girls had some clear code, or tried to do something instead of waiting for the friend-zone. Happened to me only once (average looking for my country, so :\) and it felt so damn good and right.

Didn't want to turn this thread into a GirlGAF gives advices on dates, sorry :(

PS: Let me in, facebook group!

Yeah, unfortunately we've been conditioned culturally into waiting for the guy to make the move, no matter how badly we want it. I've been trying to break this trend lately (it's hard, kinda scary, so I sympathize with you fellas) and it actually works pretty well.

computers putin' said:
It's hard for me to tell the difference between flirting and just being nice, so I just pass it all off as a girl just being nice to me and refuse to act on it.

Useful clues:

a) if she's paying more attention to you than her friends, and the word "awww" never is uttered;

b) if the physical contact she makes with you isn't incidental, but is instead lingering;

c) if she is going out of her way to spend more time with you.

All indicate more than just "friendly".

If she does these things and then insists she's not into you, she's a tease (and one of the many reasons I often dislike my own gender.)

ikkemenx

BladeWorker said:
Useful clues:

a) if she's paying more attention to you than her friends, and the word "awww" never is uttered;

b) if the physical contact she makes with you isn't incidental, but is instead lingering;

If she does these things and then insists she's not into you, she's a tease (and one of the many reasons I often dislike my own gender.)

Such a good one. Can't emphasize this enough.

Kisaya

BladeWorker said:
Useful clues:

Yup this.

Rikkun

ikkemenx said:
Yeah, unfortunately we've been conditioned culturally into waiting for the guy to make the move, no matter how badly we want it. I've been trying to break this trend lately (it's hard, kinda scary, so I sympathize with you fellas) and it actually works pretty well.

Right? It's soooo scary. I hate all the pressure. Today I fell asleep at 9AM, went bed to 6AM, just thinking I have to strike quickly.
Worst thing is when friends push you and while you try to not look like a dumbass with the girl, they stare you. You know they're watching and listening. Usually I just faint and wakeup in a pokémon center.

But yeah, girls do something!

Rikkun said:
Right? It's soooo scary. I hate all the pressure. Today I fell asleep at 9AM, went bed to 6AM, just thinking I have to strike quickly.
Worst thing is when friends push you and while you try to not look like a dumbass with the girl, they stare you. You know they're watching and listening. Usually I just faint and wakeup in a pokémon center.

But yeah, girls do something!

Get some wingchicks. Surprised more guys don't. We can help you get a girlfriend too.

kisaya said:

Sometimes for us it is hard to tell, though. The strongest "signals" can just be friendly/flirty behavior because maybe she feels comfortable around you. The strongest signal I thought I got (and I still think it was one given later conversations...but that's another story) was not physical touching or something that may seem more obvious. It was the way we both looked at each other, what she said (simple invitation), but more how she said it (tone changed a good bit), and how her entire expression (type of smile, eyes, etc) changed. I still have that memory burned quite clearly into my mind. I suppose it doesn't hurt that there were all sorts of other little signals leading up to that from days past and actually on the same day. Ultimately, though, as guys we just have to take the plunge and ask the girl out (most of the time, anyway) to really find out.

ikkemenx

Devolution said:
Get some wingchicks. Surprised more guys don't. We can help you get a girlfriend too.

This is a good point. Girls really do consider what other girls think about a certain guy. Even if it's unfounded, I feel like the attention (hearing enough girls having something to say about a guy) can get you to perceive someone differently. Kind of like how someone becomes more appealing/interesting when you see them with a girl already (well this is for multiple reasons but still).

SRG01

Prax said:
I GUESS it's possible that some girls could get bored of a guy that doesn't show interest right away. But.. most girls I know like to actually be friends with a guy before dating them, which would kill this whole "be fast or be friendzoned" theory. In fact, I think it's totally messed up or awkward to go out with someone you don't know that well but just asks you out of the blue. I think it totally depends on the girl. Then again, I am generally irritated or confused by the whole dating scene and all that that nonsense, so take my views with a grain of salt. :D

Most of my friends are women, and indeed they do prefer men who they can be friends with first. Many of the girls I've dated in the past were my friends too!

BladeWorker said:
Useful clues:

I agree with this 100%. My ex-friend, who was engaged, did this to me all the time and drove me nuts.

Devolution said:

I've tried wingwomen a few times... more often than not, I'm mistaken as the bf or I end up being the wingman for the girl (ie. fending off unwanted men).

thesoapster said:
Sometimes for us it is hard to tell, though. The strongest "signals" can just be friendly/flirty behavior because maybe she feels comfortable around you. The strongest signal I thought I got (and I still think it was one given later conversations...but that's another story) was not physical touching or something that may seem more obvious. It was the way we both looked at each other, what she said (simple invitation), but more how she said it (tone changed a good bit), and how her entire expression (type of smile, eyes, etc) changed. I still have that memory burned quite clearly into my mind. I suppose it doesn't hurt that there were all sorts of other little signals leading up to that from days past and actually on the same day. Ultimately, though, as guys we just have to take the plunge and ask the girl out (most of the time, anyway) to really find out.

The strongest signal for me is the willingness for her to hold your hand, or even ask for your hand.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
BladeWorker said:
Useful clues:

I am like the other guy and I tend to assume that a girl being flirty is just being friendly (mostly because I tend to bring that out in both sexes for some weird fucking reason) - but some of the stuff you said has me thinkin'. There is a particular girl, I've seen here or there at this gathering or that, and she's most of the time just had an interesting/friendly thing going on with me where she will be crude as fuck and say horribly mean stuff, but it was all in good fun and I would try (poorly) to reciprocate. Anyhoo, I went dancing a few nights back and she was there, and I don't know what was up but something was weird, she physically touched me for the first time ever, and it wasn't like brushing up against, she grabbed one of my dreads and started playing with it, mentioning how much longer it was than hers (she also has dreads). Then at random points at the night she would grab me and whisper in my ear something like "I am so fucking shocked at you right now, I didn't know you could dance, I am really really impressed". Which threw me the fuck off because she never compliments me.

Anyway, that was basically it, I honestly had a lot going on that night so I didn't give it too much attention, but now I have a mild lingering thought in the back of my head. It doesn't matter too much, as I have plenty on my romantic plate, it just would be interesting if she was interested. Because she is really hot. Like really.

Kisaya

thesoapster said:

You just have to compare it to how she treats other guys. Unless you're her best friend, if you see a girl act that way towards you and no one else, then she definitely likes you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom