• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glitch in Destiny reveals DLC details and content is partially on Disc

No, Bungie just made a mediocre game, accept it.

So now a near 80 metacritic game is mediocre. Game that got what, 1 actual bad score?

Where is that pic of the new age of game reviews where it is.

95-100 = masterpiece
90-95 = great
85-90 = ok
80-85 = .....
less then 80 = shit, only bought by fanboys and people who were suckered

DNAbro

^Exactly. People are losing their minds and they don't even know what Bungies plans are. It took less than five posts for someone to mention "Paywall". As if they knew this was going to be something that cost money. They don't know! Bioware released TONS of free DLC. So far Destiny has released a Raid and unlocked several other nuggets that were completely free. Why can't we at least wait till we get some official word before we start jumping out of windows?

the raid was only delayed one week from release so people could get to that level first. And the other extra stuff so far is not really substantial at all.

GlamFM

Banned
So now a near 80 metacritic game is mediocre. Game that got what, 1 actual bad score?

95-100 = masterpiece
90-95 = great
85-90 = ok
80-85 = .....

Let´s not start this again.

^Exactly. People are losing their minds and they don't even know what Bungies plans are. It took less than five posts for someone to mention "Paywall". As if they knew this was going to be something that cost money. They don't know! Bioware released TONS of free DLC. So far Destiny has released a Raid and unlocked several other nuggets that were completely free. Why can't we at least wait till we get some official word before we start jumping out of windows?

Do you think they'll comment? (Not being a dick, honestly curious as i was wondering the same.)

JCizzle

95-100 = masterpiece
90-95 = great
85-90 = ok
80-85 = .....

It is what it is, but yeah a game that scores in the high 70s is average on today's scale. There's a lot of good in the game, but also a lot of bad to offset it. Mediocre is a good word to describe the overall package IMO.

Bungie didnt release a raid, they unlocked it. it wasnt something they built after release it was on the disc.

The queens wrath has been a pathetic event. Bounties that you literally cant earn and 2-3 pieces of legendary gear you get over and over again. Nothing more.

Raids are by far the best part of game. Can't wait for more! But I feel disappointed that we only have one at launch.

I'm confident I will put in the hundreds of hours to justify my purchase and DLC. Especially once they balance pvp weapons.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I hate this sort of conspiracy theory bullshit that flares up everytime anything remotely like this gets out.

Similar discussions happened with the Dark Souls 2 dlc and it's fucking hysterical.

My thoughts are that there is left over data that shows areas we would have had had Destiny not been in development hell. I highly doubt the devs just cut complete shit out to sell later. Unless I see full complete strikes on disc that we can't access then I'll continue to think it was just cutting room victims that couldn't make the release date.

People thinking Bungie and Activision are purposefully out to fuck them over is laughable.

Also I should note I like dlc and we generally don't get bad dlc nowadays.

Yeah man, I agree with you completely. Some half-finished areas that you're able to glitch into are hardly horse-armor levels out outrage. Although, I hear the speeder armor DLC is supposed to be amazing.

spootime

95-100 = masterpiece
90-95 = great
85-90 = ok
80-85 = .....

Yeah this is actually pretty much how it works these days. Sticking your head in the sand wont change anything.

LtOrange

This is the first I am hearing about this DLC and I am really happy with the amount of content that it is supposed to come with it. I am used to dropping $15 for 4 multiplayer maps, so this sounds awesome.

RavenSan

there is a full miniboss to fight in one area. like cmon.

So they started working on the planned DLC before the game went gold. That still doesn't fill me with a pitchfork and torch rage. If it was planned DLC from the start, and they had people working on beforehand, so what? It just doesn't bother me, I guess, but to each his own.

nib95

Banned
It is what it is, but yeah a game that scores in the high 70s is average on today's scale. There's a lot of good in the game, but also a lot of bad to offset it. Mediocre is a good word to describe the overall package IMO.

Maybe if you have been asleep this entire generation. Games right now are not reviewing the way they did the generations prior.

Here are the highest rated games on both the PS4 and Xbox One.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps4

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/xboxone?sort=desc

Forza 5, NFS Rivals, Dead Rising 3, Wolfenstein, Plants vs Zombies, Trials Fusion, InFamous Second Son, Killer Instinct etc, all scored around the same (some worse) than Destiny on metacritic.

So they started working on the planned DLC before the game went gold. That still doesn't fill me with a pitchfork and torch rage. If it was planned DLC from the start, and they had people working on beforehand, so what? It just doesn't bother me, I guess, but to each his own.

Its not like 2-3 guys split off a month before the game came out and casually started shooting the shit about DLC.

DLC content is mapped out and planned, on the disc. Content is partially there. On top of that, content meant for DLC was shown well over a year ago. Full areas and missions, plus more interaction with characters and story. Well before release.

This also isnt in a game with huge story and a complete package. This is in a game people have been saying felt half finished from day one, a story that felt completely short and dearth of content.

And just throwing this out but I think I was wrong about the 4-5 story missions. Seems like there are only 3.

Good, the story is the worst part of the game so the less it features the better.

They need to keep adding raids, strikes and PvP stuff, if they add in a way to communicate with other players if they don't want us using match making that would also be great.

JCizzle

Maybe if you have been asleep this entire generation. Games right now are not reviewing the way they did the generations prior.

Forza 5, NFS Rivals, Dead Rising 3, Wolfenstein, Plants vs Zombies, Trials Fusion, InFamous Second Son, Killer Instinct etc, all scored around the same (some worse) than Destiny on metacritic.

But those that you listed all seem to be... average games to me. Nothing in that list jumps out as woefully underscored. There really hasn't been a ton of quality since this new generation launched on either console.

Floex

Well bungie should outline to us what free content they have in store over the next 6-12 months then. Drive club as a recent example has announced a free weather update and free cars/tracks etc.

Edit: and that's before the game is even out. If you want people to hold on to your product telling them we have 2 paid dlcs in the works for the game isn't exactly the best way is it?

Hear, hear. Really refreshing to see what is planned for Driveclub for atleast a year. Destiny, you're expected to throw down £35 for DLC you don't even know what content you going to even get!

nib95

Banned
But those that you listed all seem to be... average games to me. Nothing in that list jumps out as woefully underscored. There really hasn't been a ton of quality since this new generation launched on either console.

Opinions I guess. To me, most of those are good, a few even great games.

Ridley327

There are a lot of people who must not have seen all of the "locked" areas and exactly what is there... or they just refuse to believe. I can't see how anyone can see this as anything but on disc DLC.

Well, since the first expansion is focused on new content on the moon, wouldn't it be logical to assume that whatever is locked away on Earth would not be a part of that? I mean, one would think that if there was going to be a smoking gun here that there would be similar areas to glitch into on the moon, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all. With the second expansion said to introduce the Reef as an actual area, that doesn't seem to match up with those areas, either.

So what is the stuff that's on Earth right now? I see a few possibilities right now:

1) They're areas being prepped for a different expansion that's focused on Earth. How they plan on doing this would be a mystery, since they haven't mentioned any DLC plans beyond the two announced expansions.

2) They're areas that were, at one point, part of the normal flow of the game, but had to be blocked off since they weren't able to be finished in time, and Bungie doesn't have any plans of finishing them off. They would have done a piss-poor job of hiding those seams, so to speak, but that wouldn't be too surprising given what we know about the Grimoire stuff.

3) Similar to item 1, they are being prepped for a different content roll-out that will be tied to an in-game event where they're unlocked for everyone at the same time and there's no money involved in it. Unlikely as that sounds, it's pretty common for that to happen in the MMO sector, and the areas right now don't seem substantial enough to justify a new expansion.

At the end of the day, though, I don't see this as proof of the content for the expansions already being in the game. There are likely some foundations to be discovered, but nothing to the point where people who can hack the game would be able to play it in a manner remotely identical to how it will eventually turn out.

RavenSan

Its not like 2-3 guys split off a month before the game came out and casually started shooting the shit about DLC.

DLC content is mapped out and planned, on the disc. Content is partially there. On top of that, content meant for DLC was shown well over a year ago. Full areas and missions, plus more interaction with characters and story. Well before release.

This also isnt in a game with huge story and a complete package. This is in a game people have been saying felt half finished from day one, a story that felt completely short and dearth of content.

Well, I wasn't there on the dev meetings, so I don't know how that went down. You may be right. Maybe Bungie/Activision/Whomever is absolutely trying to pull the wool over our eyes and screw us, the end users. I'm willing to give Bungie the benefit of the doubt, however. They've always been a very community-friendly dev (again, in my opinion) and I'm not so quick to throw out years of loyalty for a perceived infraction. I'm gonna wait and see how this all plays out before I start getting all up in arms.

As for the story and complete package, I disagree. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I felt the game was fine. Granted, I don't have the time to blitz through it, and I didn't finish all the content in a week. I can play maybe 10-15 hours a week tops. My one character isn't level capped. I have no legendary / exotic gear yet. Haven't even started thinking about the raid. I also really enjoy the MP aspect of it. I have PLENTY left to do. I don't feel like I'm owed anything further for my investment. Again, I understand why people feel that way, I just don't myself.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Don't want to shock anyone, but the sequel is also already "planned", perhaps that should have been included as well?

Plans aren't what people are upset about. What has customers angry is that the game seems a bit content starved at launch, and yet Bungie spent man hours developing content before launch for stuff that is planned to be sold later on. Not only developing DLC before launch but also putting it on the disc as well. Content that could have been enabled for people at launch to help flesh the game out already, rather than held back and sold at a later date for more money.

It's okay to plan for DLC before launch, I don't think anyone is mad about that, but to actively work on said DLC before launch instead of working on the actual game that will ship for $60 instead, well couldn't those man hours have been better spent to make the better game initially?

Personally, I feel that DLC should be additional content that is developed AFTER the initial game, Make the best game you can first, and then afterwards make new stuff for it to both flesh it out and make more money. To me that policy helps to ensure a good product value for the customer. Standard practice for AAA games today seems to be make DLC before the game even ships, which is a policy that hurts the customer in order to maximize returns. I think the fact that Bungie has followed this second policy is what has people feeling a bit "betrayed".

I kind of agree with that sentiment.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Bungie didnt release a raid, they unlocked it. it wasnt something they built after release it was on the disc.

The queens wrath has been a pathetic event. Bounties that you literally cant earn and 2-3 pieces of legendary gear you get over and over again. Nothing more.
It's perfectly understandable that they only unlock certain stuff that is already on the disc over time. Starting to work on additional content when a game is finished is always a bad idea as it takes too long to finish it and by the time they have most people have already moved on. So I can see Bungie struggling quite a bit. They have to release additional content much faster than they can actually make it.

Now hiding other content behind a paywall is completely different thing, though I don't get the outrage. You knew what you were getting. What does it matter if additional content is already finished on the disc? You know what you were getting for your 60$. If you guys thought it wasn't worth it you should have waited for the GOTY edition or something.

DNAbro

Well, since the first expansion is focused on new content on the moon, wouldn't it be logical to assume that whatever is locked away on Earth would not be a part of that? I mean, one would think that if there was going to be a smoking gun here that there would be similar areas to glitch into on the moon, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all. With the second expansion said to introduce the Reef as an actual area, that doesn't seem to match up with those areas, either.

So what is the stuff that's on Earth right now? I see a few possibilities right now:

1) They're areas being prepped for a different expansion that's focused on Earth. How they plan on doing this would be a mystery, since they haven't mentioned any DLC plans beyond the two announced expansions.

2) They're areas that were, at one point, part of the normal flow of the game, but had to be blocked off since they weren't able to be finished in time, and Bungie doesn't have any plans of finishing them off. They would have done a piss-poor job of hiding those seams, so to speak, but that wouldn't be too surprising given what we know about the Grimoire stuff.

3) Similar to item 1, they are being prepped for a different content roll-out that will be tied to an in-game event where they're unlocked for everyone at the same time and there's no money involved in it. Unlikely as that sounds, it's pretty common for that to happen in the MMO sector, and the areas right now don't seem substantial enough to justify a new expansion.

At the end of the day, though, I don't see this as proof of the content for the expansions already being in the game. There are likely some foundations to be discovered, but nothing to the point where people who can hack the game would be able to play it in a manner remotely identical to how it will eventually turn out.

Did you not look at any of the videos? The leaked one clearly shows parts of the DLC take place on Earth. There are two earth story missions for the first DLC and 1 in the second. The strike is named after one of the locked areas we don't have access to yet.

It's perfectly understandable that they only unlock certain stuff that is already on the disc over time. Starting to work on additional content when a game is finished is always a bad idea as it takes too long to finish it and by the time they have most people have already moved on. So I can see Bungie struggling quite a bit. They have to release additional content much faster than they can actually make it.

Now hiding other content behind a paywall is completely different thing, though I don't get the outrage. You knew what you were getting. What does it matter if additional content is already finished on the disc? You know what you were getting for your 60$. If you guys thought it wasn't worth it you should have waited for the GOTY edition or something.

Uh no we didn't know exactly what we were getting for our 60$. I was hoping/assuming that these places that were locked off were going to open once the game actually released, not locked behind a second paywall.

Plans aren't what people are upset about. What has customers angry is that the game seems a bit content starved at launch, and yet Bungie spent man hours developing content before launch for stuff that is planned to be sold later on. Not only developing DLC before launch but also putting it on the disc as well. Content that could have been enabled for people at launch to help flesh the game out already, rather than held back and sold at a later date for more money.

It's okay to plan for DLC before launch, I don't think anyone is mad about that, but to actively work on said DLC before launch instead of working on the actual game that will ship for $60 instead, well couldn't those man hours have been better spent to make the better game initially?

Personally, I feel that DLC should be additional content that is developed AFTER the initial game, Make the best game you can first, and then afterwards make new stuff for it to both flesh it out and make more money. To me that policy helps to ensure a good product value for the customer. Standard practice for AAA games today seems to be make DLC before the game even ships, which is a policy that hurts the customer in order to maximize returns. I think the fact that Bungie has followed this second policy is what has people feeling a bit "betrayed".

This seems utterly arbitrary to me. Let's say that Bungie have had 50 people working on the DLC for the last year. If they just hadn't hired those 50 people, or if they were working on a different IP or whatever, how would that change the value of Destiny as a $60 game, given it'd be released in exactly the same state? Would you feel entitled to the fruits of their labours if those 50 people were working on a Marathon HD remake instead? Presumably not. But you do if they were working on DLC? Arbitrary pap.

Couldn't agree more.

You're right... we don't know anything for sure... just seems like it is. I thought the theory was that the shut off areas with the vault on Earth were part of the Dark Below's content? Who knows for sure... just seems shady with all the other "stuff" regarding Destiny.

Compared to basically every other shooter out there right now. Destiny is not content starved at all.

It just wasn't this grand mega opus that we were all expecting I guess. It is still pretty big though in all honesty. Tons of equipment to gather, large selection of missions, 6 Strikes for the PS4 version, etc.

It'll be a grand mega opus when its all said and done. But yeh, not yet.

Vitor711

Add one more person to the list of entitled gamers who don't understand how game development works.

No-one is producing new content in the last few months of dev time. All that is is optimisation and bug squashing.

That means that all those artists and level designers have no work to do. Would you rather they sit there idle? Of course not. That's when DLC work begins. It does not impact the actual base game by much at all.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Destiny is enough like an MMO that planning out expansions in advance, even starting to work on them, is not quite the same as developing a singular game and removing content for no reason other than to sell it later. With an MMO you *have* to know where it's going, you have to have a roadmap, and staff must be actively working on it so that the content is ready at the appointing milestones.

The problem with Destiny isn't that Bungie worked on content for future updates while developing the initial release. It's that the initial release is too light on content for the kind of game it's trying to be. And the way things look do make it appear as if much content intended to be part of the base package was purposefully removed, rather than that content being part of more conventional expansion plans that were being developed separately from the primary game.

Hypothetical scenario:

Destiny launches with two zones on each planet for a total of 8 free roam zones, 10 story missions per zone, 16 strikes (2 per zone) 8 raids (one per zone, equivalent to endgame dungeons), 6 character classes with 3 subclasses each. Plus a larger variety of endgame gear and a higher level cap.

That's a lot of content, but feels more in line with a game trying to be an MMO shooter, in development for so long, with such a large budget. MMORPGs cost so damned much to make because of how much content they need right out of the gate. It's the price of doing business.

If the game had launched in a state like that, it would seem a lot more reasonable that Bungie was already in full development for future expansions, with content for them finished even - it's a subscription free MMO, future income has to come from expansions at regular intervals.

Why delay it even a week? What purpose does THAT serve?

Raids are usually held in other mmos for a week or 2 so people can actually enjoy the ride to max level and not feel the need to poopsock their way to the top day 1 and then compete against other poopsockers to see who beats said raid first. In most mmos a week is more than time for all the elite to hit max level and start working on gearing up, so that once the raid is unlocked, they all have an equal playing field to see who's epeen is bigger.

There's also the whole drip feeding of content to make the game feel like it lasts longer than it would if they just threw it all at you at once.

Add one more person to the list of entitled gamers who don't understand how game development works.

No-one is producing new content in the last few months of dev time. All that is is optimisation and bug squashing.

That means that all those artists and level designers have no work to do. Would you rather they sit there idle? Of course not. That's when DLC work begins. It does not impact the actual base game by much at all.

Bungie a company with like over 300 employees all bug testing and optimising in the last months? Yeah OK mate.

What's more ridiculous in that statement is that we were all surprised at how polished the alpha and beta were, months ago.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Uh no we didn't know exactly what we were getting for our 60$. I was hoping/assuming that these places that were locked off were going to open once the game actually released, not locked behind a second paywall.
Sorry, but that is kinda stupid. For your 60 bucks you get what they offer on day 1, not more, not less. Expecting constant additional new content in game that has no monthly fee is.... yeah, well, stupid is the only word I can think of.

Scrawnton

Compared to basically every other shooter out there right now. Destiny is not content starved at all.

It just wasn't this grand mega opus that we were all expecting I guess. It is still pretty big though in all honesty. Tons of equipment to gather, large selection of missions, 6 Strikes for the PS4 version, etc.

It'll be a grand mega opus when its all said and done. But yeh, not yet.

After its all said and done and you payed well over $100 for all the content. I don't doubt it'll be a big game, but it won't be a be $60 game.

Sorry, but that is kinda stupid. For your 60 bucks you get what they offer on day 1, not more, not less. Expecting constant additional new content in game that has no monthly fee is.... yeah, well, stupid is the only word I can think of.

Well Driveclub and Kill zone Shadow Fall are recent examples of this. Plus free to play games also add free content. I know they don't really count but still. Of course you can expect free content when other devs are offering it.

Laconic

Banned

Worse games get worse scores?

Unheard of.

DNAbro

You misunderstood me. We knew about these extra areas in the alpha and beta. I assumed, along with many others that they were locked off because it was the alpha/beta. When the full game came out they were still locked off and now we know they are DLC areas. That is what pisses me off.

Laconic

Banned
Guys, guys, guys. And girls of course.

Remember when DLC was hailed as the great gamechanger? You could buy a game and developers would keep expanding on that game as time progressed. Why is it then that now I feel like most games come out with a bunch of day one DLC and no DLC support down the line (exceptions apply of course)? And don't get me started on that season pass bullcrap.

I like the part where there's no day one dlc for Destiny.

DLC is the Destiny of the industry as a whole.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Well Driveclub and Kill zone Shadow Fall are recent examples of this. Plus free to play games also add free content. I know they don't really count but still. Of course you can expect free content when other devs are offering it.
Drive Club and Killzone are 1st party so they don't really count here IMO (putting aside that just adding a MP map to Killzone is néver the effort a strike is in Destiny for example). And the FTP games have other kinds of monetization that Destiny does not have (thank god).

Top Bottom