• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glory of Heracles: Proof of the Soul (DS) official Japanese thread

Aeana

duckroll said:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/aki_h/archives/51270657.html#comments

It's really weird that Aki Hata posted on her blog that she's doing BGM for the game but she isn't credited at all!

http://www.twintail-studio.com/newsinfo_main.html

But Hirota's site updated as well. He's said he composed the game along with Yuuichi Kanno, and that Hirota composed 25 of the tracks in the game. That would make this his first significant RPG soundtrack since Shadow Hearts From the New World. YAY! He doesn't mention Aki Hata either... weird. :(

Yay, Hirota!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
So far, not impressed.
Battle is a bit slow, the magic system with the touch screen is neat but there's not much to it yet. When I only had two characters and ran into 5 enemies I kinda got whooped and actually turned the game off and reloaded to not have to bother dealing with it.

Right now I rank it above A.S.H. and below Mystic Quest.

Symytry

I hope Nintendo brings this over. I haven't had a good romp through a traditional RPG on the DS in a long time!!! Seems everything that comes out these days is a strategy game.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Symytry said:
I hope Nintendo brings this over. I haven't had a good romp through a traditional RPG on the DS in a long time!!! Seems everything that comes out these days is a strategy game.
I doubt when it's said and done I'll call this game a "good" romp.

duckroll

Sinobi says it sold 12k on the first day. About 30% of the shipment, which would place the first shipment at about 40k. Not that good, but not horrific either. I doubt Nintendo has any expectations of this anyway.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, 40k? :lol

Nintendo really had next to no expectations for this at all, I wonder if this is even on NoA's radar then.

duckroll

Hero of Canton said:
How did ASH do by comparison? I seem to recall more being expected of that, but it was quite a big bomba - is that right?

40k (30%) for ASH, day 1. ~60k for the week. Price collapse.

37k (50%) for Soma Bringer, day 1. ~58k for the week.

Enterbrain/Famitsu numbers.

Symytry

RevenantKioku said:
I doubt when it's said and done I'll call this game a "good" romp.

so its full out balls to the wall piss-bad? Ah well, with DQ4 releasing in english in September, I'll have a good non-SRPG to play ;)

Aeana

I finally got my copy. I played for about an hour, so here are some first impressions. I've been avoiding impressions by others until I got my copy, so I apologize for any redundancy.

● The music is decent, but it's not very Hirota-ish so far. I can hear his influence in a few songs, but it's still nothing like Shadow Hearts.
● They totally lied -- you can't use the face buttons for everything. They force you to use the stylus for all of the tutorial stuff, and for the magic strengthening.
● I think I get the slow battle complaints, but I'm starting to think that good use of skills will make them much more tolerable. There's a weakness exploitation system, and Lokhos even starts with an ability that gives him (lolz) an extra attack if you bring an enemy down to critical health without killing it. If there's more stuff like that, I really think it'll be tolerable. It's already not really annoying me that much. A lot of the slowness comes from a considerable pause between the end of a turn and when you regain control.
● It feels really nostalgic for me, a lot like Glory of Heracles 3.
● I wish you could rotate the camera in dungeons, and not just towns.
● The game is ugly... and pretty at the same time. The sprites are really highly detailed, but they look like crap when the camera is zoomed out. Unfortunately, the camera is zoomed out most of the time so far... but when it does zoom in, they look fantastic. The framerate is really smooth so far.

So that's what I think after a little over an hour of play. We'll see what I think after some more playtime.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Well it's reassuring battles aren't as slow as I thought they were. I'm looking forward to see what you think of the item crafting/improvement systems.

Aeana

I'm a bit further in now, and it's really starting to feel pretty good to me. The battles are very strategic. You can't just press attack over and over to win -- you have to approach each situation properly, or you won't live very long. The game has tons of spells, abilities and skills for you to use, and many are very situational. Using them in the right situations is very rewarding, I think, and it's just really nice to see things go well after some decent planning.

Aeana

The battles are starting to go more quickly now that I have access to so many passive abilities that give me extra attacks. It's really satisfying to see them go off at just the right moment!

As I was saying earlier, just attacking won't always do the trick. Enemies all seem to have different weaknesses and resistances, even to certain kinds of weaponry. There doesn't seem to be a way to analyze enemies, at least not yet, so finding these sorts of things is trial and error, unfortunately... though some of it is pretty logical. If you see an enemy using water attacks, odds are it's weak to lightning, and so on.

I also finally happened across a blacksmith, and managed to upgrade one of my swords using the elemental stones I'd been finding. I polished a few rusted pieces of equipment I found, too, and one was an awesome sword for the hero. I hope I come across the alchemy shop soon!

Joule

Aeana said:
As I was saying earlier, just attacking won't always do the trick. Enemies all seem to have different weaknesses and resistances, even to certain kinds of weaponry. There doesn't seem to be a way to analyze enemies, at least not yet, so finding these sorts of things is trial and error, unfortunately... though some of it is pretty logical. If you see an enemy using water attacks, odds are it's weak to lightning, and so on.

So is exploiting weakness on the SMT level of importance? Is it just a increase in damage dealt or you do also let loose other fun effects on the enemy?

It's sounding pretty good thus far.

RevenantKioku

About what point does it get more interesting? I just got to the first town and I don't know if I care enough to do more than take a shit on this game. Even with the five characters the battles are just too damn slow. And now three of them are gone.

What's really pissing me off is that the "HINT:" shit is still going.
"Oh wow, a herb!"
"HINT: Touch an item to pick it up."
"You get herb!"
"HINT: Herbs can be used to recover your HP."

ADVICE: When your HP is low, stay at an inn to recover it.

Aeana

Captain N said:
Anyone know of any menu translations?

What do you need translated? I can try to help.

RevenantKioku said:
About what point does it get more interesting? I just got to the first town and I don't know if I care enough to do more than take a shit on this game. Even with the five characters the battles are just too damn slow. And now three of them are gone.

What's really pissing me off is that the "HINT:" shit is still going.
"Oh wow, a herb!"
"HINT: Touch an item to pick it up."
"You get herb!"
"HINT: Herbs can be used to recover your HP."

ADVICE: When your HP is low, stay at an inn to recover it.

I didn't know you were still so early in the game. I think it starts to get more interesting when Sicyon joins, which is soon after where you are. He comes with some pretty neat abilities, and you can buy some equipment in Knossos that gives some cool abilities as well.

Also, make sure to visit the shrine nearby!

RevenantKioku

Yeah, game intros have to be just right for me not to get pissed off and put the game down for a few days. This one is particularly bad.
I also keep quitting to the title screen after I save. That's an...odd feature for a game like this.
I also have a habit of tapping the confirm button when running around in RPGs. Don't do that in this one. :lol

Aeana

RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, game intros have to be just right for me not to get pissed off and put the game down for a few days. This one is particularly bad.
I also keep quitting to the title screen after I save. That's an...odd feature for a game like this.
I also have a habit of tapping the confirm button when running around in RPGs. Don't do that in this one. :lol

Press B after you save, instead of A. :O And yeah, I don't like how the game pauses when you tap A... pretty weird.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aeana said:
● They totally lied -- you can't use the face buttons for everything. They force you to use the stylus for all of the tutorial stuff, and for the magic strengthening.
That sucks. :\ Does it get in the way?

Other than that the game sounds nice so far, can't wait for more impressions.

Aeana

jj984jj said:
That sucks. :\ Does it get in the way?

Other than that the game sounds nice so far, can't wait for more impressions.

At this point, all of the tutorial stuff is over, so I only need the stylus to do magic strengthening in battle. I think it's kind of a hassle, since sometimes I completely forget that I set some people up to cast spells, and I have to scramble for the stylus before the time is up. I really wish you could do it with the dpad.

It's not really that big of a deal, though.

RevenantKioku

Aeana said:
Press B after you save, instead of A. :O
Yeah, I know that. Buuuuut I just tend to tap A to get through the dialogues and then, WHOOPS! BACK TO TITLE SCREEN!
I'm sure I'll do it a couple hundred more times while playing the game.
And yeah, I don't like how the game pauses when you tap A... pretty weird.
Yeah, it's just...sloppy almost.

Aeana said:
At this point, all of the tutorial stuff is over, so I only need the stylus to do magic strengthening in battle. I think it's kind of a hassle, since sometimes I completely forget that I set some people up to cast spells, and I have to scramble for the stylus before the time is up. I really wish you could do it with the dpad.

It's not really that big of a deal, though.
How drastic is the damage difference if you just let it do it itself?

duckroll

Captain N said:
I really just need the battle menu translated if you could do that..I'd be in heaven!

The two rows at the bottom from left to right go like this:

Attack | Magic | Skill | Item

Escape | Wait | Move | AI

After selecting an action, the Escape button turns into "Back" which allows you to back out of the action if you don't want to follow through with it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Hey, I'm likin this quite a bit so far. I love all the abilities and stuff. Surely the battles start off slower, but as time goes by you most likely get abilities and what not that increase rate of attack and all that stuff.

I love the todomeinerai attack, stuff like that make me really eager to see what else is possible in this battle system.

LOVE the music as well.

Aeana

RevenantKioku said:
How drastic is the damage difference if you just let it do it itself?

I'm going to assume that the percentage you get after doing the strengthening is the damage increase. It's usually 170% if I max it out, so that seems pretty drastic.

Aeana

I just got access to the alchemy system. It's not exactly what I expected, but it's cool nonetheless. Basically, you just pay money to unlock abilities on your equipment. I don't know if there's any downside to using this service for every applicable item (like perhaps different alchemy shops unlock different abilities?), but I went ahead and did it for everything I have, and I got some pretty neat abilities out of it.

I think the item systems in this game are decent enough, though I think the descriptions on the site make them sound a bit more grand than they actually are.

RevenantKioku

Well, it's touching that the game gets better, but I'm still struggling to maintain interest. The HINT: shit has kinda died down, but not entirely.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Also, to speed battles up, at least when I was in the forest, I just set the faeries to AI mode and it cut down on time a bit.

I too wonder about not using the touch pen games.

I don't mind the long battles because the game seems to be pretty balanced and at least not frustrating so far, but then again, I've only left the forest.

RevenantKioku

It's not the inputting that bothers me, it's the goddamned animations. I've been playing Megami Tensei and EO2 as of late and this is just mindnumblingly slow in comparison.
And it just pissed me off more by wanting me to put in a name. No, game. Fuck you. Name your own characters you lazy goddamned assholes.
I hate naming things. :(

RevenantKioku said:
And it just pissed me off more by wanting me to put in a name. No, game. Fuck you. Name your own characters you lazy goddamned assholes.

How do you play Dragon Quest?

Aeana

The story is finally starting to actually go somewhere interesting, which is pretty cool. It'd be cool if more games explored Greek mythology, I think. Honestly, the more I play, the more engaged I get. There are so many items to find, and so many to make/improve with the various item systems. I just want to keep finding new skills/abilities, and figuring out how to best use/trigger them in order to make battles breeze by.

I hope RK can eventually enjoy it, but from what I've been hearing from him, I guess that isn't likely. :(

Captain N

Aeana said:
The story is finally starting to actually go somewhere interesting, which is pretty cool. It'd be cool if more games explored Greek mythology, I think. Honestly, the more I play, the more engaged I get. There are so many items to find, and so many to make/improve with the various item systems. I just want to keep finding new skills/abilities, and figuring out how to best use/trigger them in order to make battles breeze by.

I hope RK can eventually enjoy it, but from what I've been hearing from him, I guess that isn't likely. :(

I couldn't agree more! I love greek mythology and wish more games would try and get into it a little more. Movies could do the same. God of War..it's a bit out there, but I enjoy the story and play to find out what happens next.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
RevenantKioku said:
It's not the inputting that bothers me, it's the goddamned animations. I've been playing Megami Tensei and EO2 as of late and this is just mindnumblingly slow in comparison.

:O How do you like EO if you hate naming?

You should just name things after GAFFERS! Start with me, of course.

duckroll

Yay, I got the game. The cover is so much shiny than I expected, even the back is shiny! :eek:

Game seems pretty fun so far, the script's pretty funny. Good music. Graphics are kinda iffy, but the animations are pretty smooth.

duckroll

Played some more. Beat the
Kraken
! Having lots of fun! Yay! The characters and story kinda reminds me of a Tales game so far... with less stupid and more Greek mythology. Weird. Music is pretty upbeat and comical, quite different from Hirota's Shadow Hearts music.

Top Bottom