• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Rekindling Soul update (Map changes, Shadow Fiend remodel, 6.82 rebalancing)

Considered a pretty big deal by the community. Thread about no Diretide is here.

http://blog.dota2.com/2014/09/the-rekindling-soul-update/
http://www.dota2.com/rekindlingsoul/

blog_rekindling_soul.jpg

The long awaited metamorphosis of Shadow Fiend arrives at last. In addition to a completely new look for his form and effects, the update also contains the Demon Eater Arcana. This Arcana provides a fiery reimagining of Shadow Fiend, complete with new effects, sounds, animations, icons, and an altered voice. We also thought it’d be fun to allow you to show off your skill at triple-razing enemies to the ground, so with the Arcana equipped you’ll be see a fiery celebration of your skill. Finally, if you buy the Demon Eater set before October 31st, it will come with an ‘Exalted’ quality.

Yet Shadow Fiend isn’t the only one receiving special treatment – this update also contains the much-anticipated 6.82 balance update, which introduces an arsenal of additions and tweaks affecting every part of the game. Major systems have been overhauled, and heroes have been retooled and reworked. Bloodseeker and Phantom Lancer both now sport new abilities, you’ll find a new rune in the river, a new item in the shop – the list goes on and on. And for the first time in years, the Dota 2 map itself has changed, with significant layout changes to Roshan’s lair, base fountains, and more.

Arcana:

and

Treasure of the Forged Fury

Unleash your inner fury with new sets for Mirana, Naga Siren, Magnus, and more. And if you're really lucky, you might find the adorable Lil Nova courier hiding inside!

Coming with this update

Courier Morph

Do you have an awesome courier but always play carry? Are you tired of owning a courier that nobody ever sees? Everyone's couriers can be seen now. Now, no matter who buys the courier, when the courier delivers items to you, it will temporarily morph into the courier you have equipped.

Fantasy Season Two

If your fantasies involve driving your enemies before you, racking up win streaks, and achieving total world domination, then this is the fantasy sport for you. Choose the pro players that you want to represent your team, and then sit back and earn points based on how those players perform in tournaments. New features include an exclusive teleport effect item that lets you show off past Fantasy Season successes, as well as a new web interface that allows you to access your Fantasy Team whenever you'd like. Come join the fun.

Fight Recap

You've just witnessed the best fight you've ever seen. A whirling storm of blood, fire, and magic that now leaves you blinking at the screen. Normally great battles leave only their fading images in your mind. But now you'll be able to peek beneath the hood for yourself, and dissect the stats that make those fights great. Use Fight Recap to study the statistics behind your favorite battles.

And now for the main dish:

6.82 Update said:
Map Change

It is a momentous day in the world of Dota, the likes of which have not been seen for ages, for now it is proven that even the land itself is not above being modified. Along with an assortment of other changes, it's moving day for Roshan. Though don't worry, he hasn't gone far. His pit now looks out upon the river from a different angle, and nearby paths have been rerouted around his legendary den. Though his location may have changed, you can count on him defending his territory with the same murderous energies. These changes, along with many more, can be found throughout the battlefield.

New Bounty Rune

The birth of a rune is no minor event. Forged of the most fundamental magic, this new update will unleash a rune never before seen in the world of Dota. Imbued with gold and experience, the Bounty Rune will serve to enhance your wealth and to speed the accumulation of abilities. Additionally, runes now spawn two at a time, with one at each end of the river. One of the runes will always be a Bounty Rune. Earn your bounty if you can!

Crimson Guard

To meet new threats, one must seek out new defenses. Originally forged during the chaos of New Bloom to defend against the dreaded Year Beast, the Crimson Guard is now ready to join the ancient war. Suit up in this armor, and you'll be ready to rally your forces and lead the charge against the enemy.

Reworked: Bloodseeker

As if an eyeless seeker of blood isn't frightening enough, perhaps Bloodseeker's changes will push him over the top. Along with a host of other changes, Bloodbath has been replaced by the new ability Blood Rite. You can now baptize an area in the Blood of the Twins, to show that they are always watching.

Reworked:phantom Lancer

Phantom Lancer, too, has been reworked. Along with changes to his Juxtapose ability, he has earned a pair of new abilities: Doppelganger, which will help him dodge immediate danger and confuse enemies with illusions, and Phantom Rush, which allows Phantom Lancer and his illusions to swarm his foes.

6.82 changelog at the second link

Oh and...

One more thing: we on the Dota 2 team have a number of updates in the works right now that we’re really excited about, some for the rest of this year, and a big update for early next year. But we’re pretty sure we won’t be able to make enough progress on the larger update if we put it down to work on Diretide – so we’ve decided that we’re not going to ship a Diretide event this year. We know that last year we weren’t clear enough in our communication about this, so this year we wanted to be up front about it early. Next year will bring monumental changes to Dota 2, and we’re confident that when you’ve seen what we’ve been working on, you’ll agree it was worth it.

SaberVulcan

Seriously. Would have put it in the title, but hit the limit.

edit: or maybe he's being facetous :p

Shadow Fiend -> SF, No Diretide

^_^

Overall, looks like it will be a fun patch. I like the map changes, the hero changes feel kinda lackluster from a glance, but we'll see how it pans out.

eznark

Banned
Read the damn OP/blog post man, it's explained right there.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give DIRETIDE ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I played some on the test server last night, the new map is nuts and two runes is awesome. That extra gold rune plus cheaper TP scrolls will be nice for tri-lane supports. Plus having two runes every two minutes should really change the way mid's play. Time for 5 position to just camp the rune spot.

Big, big changes. Super excited for this patch. The Phoenix trolling is unimaginable. Dota 2 continues to be one of the best games ever made :D

Reading this changelog blew my mind. Definitely the most significant update since I started playing during the closed-beta.

Elitro

Looking forward for the comeback mechanics, hopefully the game will be more action packed (you are rewarded for never giving up) and less one sided.

Also i'm very curious for the big patch they said its coming next year, i love custom games and that patch will probably bring that to the main client!

I like that they made Pugna and Sven more support friendly. They were kinda usable as supports but generally a ton better as cores, they'll still be better as cores I think but they now have more support tools(though for Sven it requires an Agh). Pugna playing TF2 Medic on the carry sounds pretty funny.

NP nerf is sad, but minimal. Really trying to figure out if Enigma's changes should be considered nerf, buff, or increase in skill requirement.

Big, big changes. Super excited for this patch. The Phoenix trolling is unimaginable. Dota 2 continues to be one of the best games ever made :D

Earth Spirit trolling looks like it's gonna be awesome as well. Already seen vids of him shooting people out of the map. on a more practical note with Pheonix, your teammates can channel while in the meteor.

Randdalf

NP nerf is sad, but minimal. Really trying to figure out if Enigma's changes should be considered nerf, buff, or increase in skill requirement.

Enigma's other main nerf is the jungle creeps getting stronger, will make it harder for him to keep all his eidolons alive I think.

elyetis

Balance change itself seems huge, eager to see what it will lead to.

Remodel seems done mostly with the arcana in mind, really don't like the principle, but could be worst I guess.

Let's see what we are gonna get this year, and what are the 'monumental' changes for next year, but it seems just another comfirmation that the game dev support is yet again getting smaller.

BobLoblaw

Banned
About damn time there was a map change. Roshan should've been moved years ago. Now we just need one to two brand new, fully balanced maps. *waits 6 years*

Forkball

Probably the biggest changes ever to Dota 2. I'd expect a lot of people would be angry, but the claws are in too deep.

psgivediretide

I was playing on the test client yesterday, the effect of blood seekers new ability looks so sick.

It basicly scrawls the ground in a spell circle of blood in a massive area before damaging the enemies, like something out of full metal alchemist or something. Looks badass

Armaros

Enigma biggest nerf imo is the Mek mana cost nerf.

Enigma barely has enough mana for mek + all of his spells right now. New Mek cost means he needs Arcanes along with soul ring.

These changes are pretty rad and significant, which only makes me wonder what they could possibly be working on that's even bigger.

Armaros

And with the new rune, all junglers got a massive buff.

Do you know if the new rune can be bottled to refill charges?

Yes, that is the whole point of the new rune.

Bottle crowing is hard nerfed. And more vulnerable to bottle courier pickoffs if you burn Courier boost to bottle crow instead of defensively.

TheCrow

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give DIRETIDE ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I played some on the test server last night, the new map is nuts and two runes is awesome. That extra gold rune plus cheaper TP scrolls will be nice for tri-lane supports. Plus having two runes every two minutes should really change the way mid's play. Time for 5 position to just camp the rune spot.

disapprove.gif
Oh god not this again. Guess I'll stick to wasteland/fifa a bit longer.

Top Bottom