• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glory of Heracles: Proof of the Soul (DS) official Japanese thread

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I too just beat the thing duckroll beat. I don't mean his dick.
I wouldn't say I'm warming up to it, but I wouldn't say this is FF12 bad. I'm getting the same feeling I got when I started Blue Dragon up, which I ended up moderately enjoying, and the feeling I have during Lost Odyssey now. It could change with time but at the moment I'd say the intro of the game is less than good.
Oh, and how can you MISS and do 64 damage, killing Lohkos?

Aeana

Looks like duckroll's catching up quickly!
I just met Eris, and she joined my party. Everybody's an amnesiac immortal in this game. :O

Aeana said:
Looks like duckroll's catching up quickly!
I just met Eris, and she joined my party. Everybody's an amnesiac immortal in this game. :O

If she happens to find a golden apple, GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE.

duckroll

I finished the dungeon that was in the mine. The boss was really neat. I really like turn based RPGs where the boss fights are different from normal battles. It actually takes tactics and some planning for the fights which is really nice. The game is really loaded with skills, items, abilities and various systems that make the game much more fun if you know how to use them properly. Lots of options, and if you know how to gain the advantage battles never drag on.

Although the game's production values are kinda low and it's not quite up the better looking DS games, the game balance seems pretty solid and there's quite a bit of variety in the enemies and stuff. I'm digging it.

Aeana

This boss's "magic repeat" skill is annoying! It makes him cast whatever magic I do. :( Even buffs!

EDIT: But I just realized what I can do to use this to my advantage!
EDIT2: Yay, I win. Go reverse ether.

Sagitario

Dragona Akehi said:
If she happens to find a golden apple, GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE.

saintseiyamovie1-4an4wm1ra.jpeg

Dragona: She'll be OK so long as she can remember everything this will teach her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iXgYEf0DhA

/longish and audio may desync

On topic: This game really does sound nifty...I really should give the fan translated ones a bigger shot. I tried the first one they get pretty well wrangled but gave up after I discovered, in a bad location, that enemies could DESTROY your shield within battle. Kinda shocked me away from the game versus my DQ days. :lol

duckroll

Heracles has joined my party! I'm glad that last dungeon had no boss, I was kinda low on MP by the end... There's something about the affinities I can't seem to figure out too. Heracles' attacks seem to be really good against undead enemies, but I'm not sure if it's him or his weapon types. He's the only one that could do any decent physical damage against certain undead enemies, and I hate having to use spells when I don't have to!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I just beat the Kraken.

I think I may have missed the tutorial on how to use these stones...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Does this game love to pull the "Sorry, you can't stay at the inn right now" thing or what? Croist.

duckroll

I've met Brad Pitt... I mean Achilles! The plot's getting much more interesting. One thing I really dig is that spells are rather expensive, so it's not a good idea to spam them all the time, but they're very powerful when used right. If you plan your turns well, regaining MP is never a problem either, thanks to the Overkill system. :D

duckroll

Wow, the game was kinda mean! 2 hours of gameplay and bosses with no chance to save at all! At least that's over now. I'm headed to Troy now. I wonder if anyone else on GAF is still playing the game.... :/

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
Wow, the game was kinda mean! 2 hours of gameplay and bosses with no chance to save at all! At least that's over now. I'm headed to Troy now. I wonder if anyone else on GAF is still playing the game.... :/

Expect to see only slimes and Dragon Lords posting from here on in...

RevenantKioku

I dunno, I've seriously shut off the game a few times to avoid having to deal with a fight because it's so slow. 3 on 10 with this battle system is maddening.

duckroll

Sounds like the game sold 25k over the week. That's barely half the 40k initial shipment. Total failure on Nintendo's part. I don't blame people for not being interested, I bet most people don't even know the game exists. Oh well. :/

JaMarco

RevenantKioku said:
I dunno, I've seriously shut off the game a few times to avoid having to deal with a fight because it's so slow. 3 on 10 with this battle system is maddening.
Is it really THAT slow?..

sprsk

I encountered my first night time mega attack, it was pretty fun.
This game doesn't seem to have many dungeons, so the story moves along pretty quickly considering how slow the battles are.

duckroll

Case said:
Is it really THAT slow?..

No, rk is just a terrible player. Heracles is pretty much LO without the loading and slow panning in battles. Not any slower than that. If you use the right skills and target enemies properly, most fights end in 1-2 turns.

RevenantKioku

duckroll said:
No, rk is just a terrible player. Heracles is pretty much LO without the loading and slow panning in battles. Not any slower than that. If you use the right skills and target enemies properly, most fights end in 1-2 turns.
The fuck you talking about? It has nothing to do with how many turns it takes but the fact that one turn itself just drags forever. One or two turns is still too goddamned long and boring in this game.
Anyway, I'm retarded. Help me out. Flora showed me some shit, and now I have no idea what the fuck to do. She's just saying that her father won't be back until the boat is fixed and the wife is just telling me to go walk around town.

Lol, turn the camera while moving in town. This game has so many weird quirks to it.

Aeana

I think duckroll is totally caught up with me now. The boss I just fought was crazy... he kept restoring all of his MP and a lot of his HP every turn. It took me almost 20 turns to beat it, which in this game equates to a long time!

I was getting interested in the story, but it's going in a direction that I don't like. It's expected from Nojima, though.

duckroll

I'm not sure which boss Aeana was talking about, maybe I haven't fought it yet? I'm just outside Troy now - about 15 hours clocked. It's pretty annoying that the game has tons of 1-2 hour segments where you can't save at all in-between and they throw battle after battle at you. I feel like I fully understand the game's systems now so I find the battles really fun, but it can be tiring fighting 7-8 battles in a row with no pauses at all.

The story's getting interesting in really silly ways. I actually like the script a lot, because as silly as it all is I'm convinced Nojima approached writing this scenario from a more comedic standpoint than usual serious drama. In that sense it's similar to his writing style in Kingdom Hearts - for better or for worse. :)

RevenantKioku

I know my Japanese is far from perfect, but this game seems to have a lot of weird triggers to keep the game moving. I'm in Sparta and Lohkos talked about going to this shop, I go in and nothing special happens. Thanks?

duckroll

RevenantKioku said:
I know my Japanese is far from perfect, but this game seems to have a lot of weird triggers to keep the game moving. I'm in Sparta and Lohkos talked about going to this shop, I go in and nothing special happens. Thanks?

Which shop did you go to?

duckroll

RevenantKioku said:
The magic shop.

Oh, that's not a story trigger. She just said "Ooh look! We can go underground there and find another Prometeus Statue!"

The story trigger in Sparta after talking to the jailer guard is in the item shop.

RevenantKioku

Yeah, it didn't seem important, but after the "Go into the weapon shop and then leave it to continue the story" segment from before...

Tenbatsu

Aeana said:
The sprites are really highly detailed, but they look like crap when the camera is zoomed out
I dont think they are sprites, rather, cell shaded 3D characters. Tried my friend's copy, its quite enjoyable thou.

RevenantKioku

Shaheed79 said:
This game looks fantastic.
I really wouldn't get excited over it.
I hate it a bit less than I did at first but it's going to piss a fair share of people off and graphic whores are going to cry. The interface has some really weird design choices and with some of the small quirks I've been finding I'm almost worried there are some bugs in here they missed.

duckroll

Tenbatsu said:
I dont think they are sprites, rather, cell shaded 3D characters. Tried my friend's copy, its quite enjoyable thou.

No, they're definitely sprites. They're celshaded prerendered sprites like DKC. :p

duckroll

For those still interested in the game and/or are playing it, the online Nintendo magazine put up a long interview with the development staff. This is so much more in-depth and interesting than the Creator's Voice interview with Nojima since the director, character designer, composer, etc are all involved. They talk about everything from the creation of the game, the designs, why it was originally called Eternal Chronicle, the game systems, New Game +, etc. Great read!

Enjoy: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nom/0806/hercules/index.html

sprsk

Wow, the card game thing makes a lot of sense. It does feel like a really abstracted card battle game.

The whole combat section was really interesting.

Aeana

I think I've just about given up on the game.

I don't think it's a bad game, but it's a boring and tedious game. The systems are mostly pretty cool, and the battles are very strategic... but they're so common that they ended up becoming really tedious for me. The story is also actually painful to sit through at this point, and I can't bring myself to trudge through it much more. Also, even though I said I don't think it's a bad game, I do think it's a bad sequel to the Glory of Heracles series. It has very little in common with the older games, and it probably would have been better off keeping its old title.

Those things, compared with my general lack of interest in gaming lately, have caused me to just set the game aside, at least for now.

After this series of really lackluster original RPGs for DS, I think my excitement level for World Destruction has also dropped considerably. Something inside my head just tells me not to get my hopes up for it. I wish developers of new properties would put forth a little bit more effort, or at least stop trying to cram so many unrefined ideas into the game in place of fewer, more polished ideas. :(

Captain N

I remember with Final Fantasy IV there was an awesome translation guide..is there anything like that for this game?

mugwhump

Aeana said:
img_008b-thumb.jpg

Agon (Αγών) - A mysterious man who stands in the heroes' way. His true self is hidden beneath his black helmet.
I just know this dude's gonna end up being some dude's father.

ivysaur12

Banned
luciddefender said:
It's been usable for months now, so I wouldn't say it's useless.

It's not like Mother 3 which may never be localized. There's still a very good chance that Soma could come to the states. It's a waste of talent that could go to translating other games that will probably never come over here.

By the way, why was it originally called Eternal Chronicle?

Top Bottom