• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GM of Nintendo Germany: We'll see Mario Kart 8 & Smash Bros. in Spring 2014

.la1n

We know very little about the current state of Smash. It's possible it could make a spring release but I fully expect Nintendo to position that title closer to fall / winter 2014. Smart to have DK and MK8 releasing within a reasonable amount of time of each other. Droughts aren't doing anyone any favors.

Hasney

So you got Mario Kart, Smash, inFAMOUS, and Titanfall within the same time period. I feel for those with all 3 next gen consoles.

Yup. Probably won't have an XB1, but my PC should handle Titanfall. I'm already weeping for my wallet in spring.

I have always bet on a June release for Smash 4. Development time is just right and using E3 presentation as a slingshot is the most clever thing you can do to promote the game.

There's just no point of presenting the game again at E3 for a fall release, people just get bored waiting and lose interest for a never releasing game. I hope Nintendo finally learnt this because it's a mistake they often made, look at Zelda SS how it bombed.

For the same reason I think we'll see also Bayonetta 2 in the first half or august at the latest.

jmizzal

Apparently German news agency did an interview with Bernd Fakesch, the General Manager of Nintendo Germany yesterday seen here (via Player Essence).

Translated, he says:

This corroborates with the earlier rumor here on GAF from a few months ago about Mario Kart 8, though the news about Smash is new. I'm surprised about Smash Bros. though, sounds pretty soon. Maybe we'll get a release date announcement in a January Nintendo Direct?

Mario Kart isnt a rumor, Nintendo said it was coming in the Spring

I can see Smash Bros coming in the Spring too, on Wii Mario Kart and Smash Bros came in back back months in the Spring

And retailers have been posting up Spring release dates for Smash Bros

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If Nintendo wants the Wii u to have any kind of comeback, a spring release for both, would be a good idea.

That would mean Donkey Kong, Mario Kart 8, and Smash for Wii U this spring be a strong release schedule.

Dk in Feb, Kart in Mar and Smash in Apr would kill me ;p

(chances? 12% imho)

Misterhbk

Seems dumb to release them both when around the time that both Titanfall and Second Son are set to release. Why not do it when both next gen consoles are in a drought?

daakusedo

There was a nintendo direct in november if I remember well, so a january one could clear that up, this smash release date doesn't seem unlikely. The daily pics have already revealed a lot of stages, that's a thing too.

Smash for winter 2014 confirmed!

lol they'll delay it until the summer, then until december, then finally it'll release in March 2015.

Seems dumb to release them both when around the time that both Titanfall and Second Son are set to release. Why not do it when both next gen consoles are in a drought?

I thought Nintendo didn't care what anyone else was doing.

I could see them getting the game out earlier and then adding in content later with free DLC.

Was it Sakurai who was against this?

I was honestly surprised when they said 2014. They only really started after Kid Icarus was done.

Thats when Sakurai started his work on it. You don't know how long Namco was already involved. Maybe they started without Sakurai and he was just giving some tips for the early work.

Zalman

Been in production for around 2 years by spring, I'd say that is a pretty good dev cycle
They're developing two versions simultaneously this time. I know Sakurai said they might not necessarily come out on the same day, but I think it's fair to assume it's going to take longer this time because of it.

Some Nobody

As far as I know, nothing big is happening in April, May, or June for either of the other next-gen consoles.

Donkey Kong in February, MK8 in April, and Smash Bros. in either May or June would be a great way to fill the gap for gamers.

Sorry to say that but MK and Smash are bigger then those two titles. No one wants to battle against Mario Kart.

jmizzal

Do we know of anything confirmed for Fall 2014? I gotta think if this rumor is true and Smash Bros. is moved up to Spring 2014, Nintendo's gotta have something up their sleeves for the important holiday season. Zelda U?

People keep saying whats for Fall, but remember Mario 3D world wasnt even announced until Jan this year, and we didnt even see it until E3, and Zelda WW HD wasnt announced until Jan. They could have Zelda or something unannounced for Fall.

Some Nobody

Sorry to say that but MK and Smash are bigger then those two titles. No one wants to battle against Mario Kart.

No one wanted to battle against Mario Kart on the Wii. But if it did even a fifth of the numbers it did on that console the Wii U would be well on its way to being saved.

Son Of D

If Mario Kart sells a lot of Wii U consoles, then Nintendo will want to keep the momentum going. Smash will help that momentum. Nintendo can use Bayonetta 2 and maybe some other unannounced games to keep a (slightly at least) steady stream of games over the summer with possible Animal Crossing U, Zelda U and/or X at the end of the year for big holiday games.

January/December Direct should announce some new 2014 games for early-mid 2014, with Directs and E3 announcing the late 2014 titles.

Tenki

How is Smash in Spring soon? It was announced and revealed long time ago. Nintendo announced A Link Between Worlds in May and released it in November, and almost the same for 3D World.

Smash was announced at E3 2011.

Do we know of anything confirmed for Fall 2014? I gotta think if this rumor is true and Smash Bros. is moved up to Spring 2014, Nintendo's gotta have something up their sleeves for the important holiday season. Zelda U?

Nintendo hasn't confirmed anything as yet. We got Super Mario 3D World and right now, we're waiting on the January Direct.....

If Mario Kart sells a lot of Wii U consoles, then Nintendo will want to keep the momentum going. Smash will help that momentum. Nintendo can use Bayonetta 2 and maybe some other unannounced games to keep a (slightly at least) steady stream of games over the summer with possible Animal Crossing U, Zelda U and/or X at the end of the year for big holiday games.

January/December Direct should announce some new 2014 games for early-mid 2014, with Directs and E3 announcing the late 2014 titles.

That's blowing their loads. Wii U has more than 2014 to release games for....

You know what other game was terribly rushed? Melee.

Oh I'm not saying it will be, it'll have been in development for at least two years if it comes out in Spring. But if we add next-gen development and the fact it's coming out on two systems... I just hope they don't push it out the door too soon to try and save the flatlining Wii U.

No one wanted to battle against Mario Kart on the Wii. But if it did even a fifth of the numbers it did on that console the Wii U would be well on its way to being saved.

MK was big on the 3DS too and I doubt that Nintendo wont do the biggest marketint for that title on the Wii U...but only time will tell if it can help the console.

Maybe Nintendo saw the November NPD numbers and thought, "Fuck it, fire everything in 2014" and just put all their cards on the table. Kart, Smash, DKC, Zelda, Miyamoto game, fuck it. System is a dud, finish all your projects, move on to the next wacky thing in late 2015.

Jawmuncher

If smash hits in the spring it's farther along than we must think it is.
Regardless if it's that soon they better start busting out some good character reveals soon to get the hype up to maximum.

Ansatz

Sales aside, I'm really looking forward to 2014. Bring on Nintendo Direct next month, unveil Zelda, then show the blowout hype trailers for DKC, MK8 and Smash.

My wallet is ready

Zalman

Also don't forget that Sakurai had some issues with his arm a few months back. Could delay the game a little.

Ryce

How is Smash in Spring soon? It was announced and revealed long time ago. Nintendo announced A Link Between Worlds in May and released it in November, and almost the same for 3D World.

It was announced about a year before development began.

udivision

It didnt' start work until after KI:U was finished. A Link Between Worlds was technically started in 2010, IIRC.

Was Sakurai serious about possibly adding Reggie? If so, there is no way this is a spring game as the game would be heading towards the final stages with no way in hell to add another character and extensively test it.

NickMitch

I think it´s not to far fetched to see both MK8 and SmBros before the end of the fiscal year for Nintendo....It ends in the end of March right?

BlackJace

Maybe Nintendo saw the November NPD numbers and thought, "Fuck it, fire everything in 2014" and just put all their cards on the table. Kart, Smash, DKC, Zelda, Miyamoto game, fuck it. System is a dud, finish all your projects, move on to the next wacky thing in late 2015.

JC stay with me man. It's going to be okay on Thursday.

Maybe

Josh7289

If this were coming from Nintendo Co., Ltd., that'd be one thing, but foreign subsidiaries are sometimes out of the loop. On the other hand, maybe May really is possible. They need to release something in the first half of next year.

Top Bottom