• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater: Resurrection |OT| "You have three orders..."

Edgeward

Is there a reason why God Eater: Resurrection is only $20 and God Eater 2: Rage Burst is $60?

I know Rage Burst will include Resurrection, but it's still triple the price.

Is Rage Burst that much bigger/better?

GER is a port/remaster/remakish of an old PSP game that is the first game. GE: RB is the sequel and the latest edition

Hey so, how does online actually work? Choose continue online, and then we can create a lobby ala Monster Hunter, or differently?

Sorry, don't know. I am waiting til I get to the either the later chapters or end game stuff for that since the early ones are more than enough with the AI companions.

Teknoman

Finally got into the game and played the tutorial and first mission.

I gotta say, i'm liking how the weapons work. Go Shiina is awesome soundtrack wise, and well...i'm thinking i'll roll with this and Monster Hunter as companion games. They feel different enough.

That and the story is interesting.

Ephidel

anyone know how the "Enemy HP Vision" upgrade works? i have it equipped but don't see an enemy health bar in battle. must be missing something.
It doesn't give you a health bar. What it does instead is modify the enemy circles on the mini-map so the colour they are indicates how much health the enemy has left. If I recall correctly it gets darker as it gets closer to death, and flashes when the enemy is below ~25% health.

hyp

It doesn't give you a health bar. What it does instead is modify the enemy circles on the mini-map so the colour they are indicates how much health the enemy has left. If I recall correctly it gets darker as it gets closer to death, and flashes when the enemy is below ~25% health.

thanks! not as helpful as a bar but definitely better than not knowing which enemy is close to death especially when you're dealing with 3-4 at a time.

hyp

the game really opens up after you reach story mission 20. kinda overwhelmed at how many new things popped up, totally worth the $20.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I adore Monster Hunter, never really played any similar clones, but am really intrigued(especially with the promotion). May just blow $60 for both games as I am dying for a proper console MH game and this seems to kind of interesting.

As someone eminently familiar with MH, what should I be aware of before impulse buying? Major differences/similarities?

ramyeon

I adore Monster Hunter, never really played any similar clones, but am really intrigued(especially with the promotion). May just blow $60 for both games as I am dying for a proper console MH game and this seems to kind of interesting.

As someone eminently familiar with MH, what should I be aware of before impulse buying? Major differences/similarities?
It has much less weight than MH, feels more floaty and is generally faster paced. There's no armour in it, you can craft clothing but it doesn't affect stats and it is just normal clothing (Not made from parts of monsters you defeat).

These aren't really proper console hunting games either. GE2 is a port of a PSP and Vita game and Resurrection is a port of a Vita remake of a PSP game. So keep your expectations in line with that. The maps are small and pretty uninteresting and there is less monster and map variety than MH that's for sure.

Don't expect the same level of monster detail that you get in MH with regards to animations and personality either.

Brandon F

It has much less weight than MH, feels more floaty and is generally faster paced. There's no armour in it, you can craft clothing but it doesn't affect stats and it is just normal clothing (Not made from parts of monsters you defeat).

These aren't really proper console hunting games either. GE2 is a port of a PSP and Vita game and Resurrection is a port of a Vita remake of a PSP game. So keep your expectations in line with that. The maps are small and pretty uninteresting and there is less monster and map variety than MH that's for sure.

Don't expect the same level of monster detail that you get in MH with regards to animations and personality either.

Thanks for that. I suppose it sounds like a simpler experience, which given how dense MH can be, I may be down for a more straightforward action take.

How is the general progression and action? Community strong currently for a new player to jump on for some co-op missions with randoms?

ramyeon

Thanks for that. How is the general progression and action? Community strong currently for a new player to jump on for some co-op missions with randoms?
Progression is pretty similar to MH - missions separated by Difficulty/Rank with key missions required to progress the story as well as optional missions to grind materials. Missions are over much quicker than MH quests. You take with you up to 3 AI/Human companions as well as an AI support companion that gives buffs.

Online seems pretty dead tbh. I never tried GE2 online either since I played it before online even got patched in (Pretty late into its life cycle). These work okay as single player games because of the AI companions and more of a focus on narrative than MH.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

If you want to enjoy it outside of the fact its a co-op "hunting" genre type of game, dont try to think of it being like MH as it goes in a totally different direction.

Only thing really similar is the process of going around killing / collecting things to build better weapons.

Map design is a bit abysmal for the most part in comparison as the designers have a real poor sense of flow personally with connective routes and such.

Also game is not as precise as MH in terms of combat.

Being a hardcore MH player do also enjoy this title for what it is as it does do a good job of giving a totally different experience. Those who didnt like how "slow" MH felt generally seem to get more attached to this series. Switching from melee to ranged on the fly is highly useful also and the bullet customization adds a nice personal touch. Though at the same time you can also make most fights trivial once you reach the point where you can custom craft hilariously OP bullets.

One other interesting feature is to get special "shots" with your gun mode that are taken from enemy aragami by using the devour ability while they are still alive. You can either use these yourself or transfer them to your allies. Depending on the enemy type will determine what kind of effect the aragami bullet will have. It doesnt make sense now but will in the game when you play.

Thanks for that. I suppose it sounds like a simpler experience, which given how dense MH can be, I may be down for a more straightforward action take.

How is the general progression and action? Community strong currently for a new player to jump on for some co-op missions with randoms?

The nice thing is this game for story progression and whatnots you have AI partners and you an pick and choose who to bring with you later on. The AI also for the most part are fairly intelligent, though there is one in particular that will Blue Falcon you a lot but thats part of her character. You can also issue general commands to the whole AI team also.

Since the game has an actual story it gives more meaning to going out and chopping shit into tiny pieces. lol

Grabbed the game tonight about 10 missions in would love to get some PSN names for people to hunt with. Will probably be playing most nights until MHG comes out in the 15th.

PSN name is Caliaztec

Comandr

Grabbed the game tonight about 10 missions in would love to get some PSN names for people to hunt with. Will probably be playing most nights until MHG comes out in the 15th.

PSN name is Caliaztec

Hay I totely loved GE:B let's play ubtil the dawn sunlight claims us.

Edgeward

Just got to level 3 and did an urgent mission. 1 Kongou to start, then a one in a Chi You will come in, then at 3 minutes 2 Gboro. Oh boy, stressful. Glad I brought along an alt companion. They actually will link-aid you which is awesome.

Chi Yous still are kinda tough for me, I can't kill them as efficiently yet as all the other ones. Well except Varjahs, those guys are just wild ass monsters in open spaces. All they do is run around.

Teknoman

With how small the current community is, I say just add everyone from the GAF list :p

EDIT I see you can also just go straight to online room creation via single player terminals.

Also how is this normal battle music?!

https://youtu.be/pz28PamOMXI

EDIT: Do the weapons have some skills not listed at the wiki? Like Focused Mind and Mission Auxiliary?

heringer

From what I understand, the clone more similar to Monster Hunter is Toukiden. Specially in terms of feel, weight and overall gameplay. It's on sale right now, so maybe you could check that out.

Brandon F

From what I understand, the clone more similar to Monster Hunter is Toukiden. Specially in terms of feel, weight and overall gameplay. It's on sale right now, so maybe you could check that out.

Yea, part of me considered that instead, but held off as I have heard Toukaiden is way too easy and lacks much strategy in the actual fights(or rather the monsters don't demand much perception on the player to beat them down). Other popular complaints make it sound less appealing or worth the time.

I did pick this up, had a decent go with another online random on the early missions. Game is a bit brain dead until the real hunts begin several missions deep. I kind of dislike the gun mode as borh the control layout and aiming properly has been frustrated me. Hell, just switching weapon modes can annoy me at how often the game doesn't accept my input to do so(animation priority sans buffering), thus I kind of want to never bother with guns.

All the responses to my questions ring true already. It's a different type of hunting game and it's PSP roots show(like type 0 HD), but I've had a decent time so far. Doubtful I will stick with it though as the hooks aren't very strong, the story is a bit too sophomoric and tropey, and the actual encounters are merely decent so far. I do like it is a palette cleanser away that doesn't feature the hefty resource mgmt and minimal plot of MH, but combat is a bit too light and basic here.

heringer

Yea, part of me considered that instead, but held off as I have heard Toukaiden is way too easy and lacks much strategy in the actual fights(or rather the monsters don't demand much perception on the player to beat them down). Other popular complaints make it sound less appealing or worth the time.

I did pick this up, had a decent go with another online random on the early missions. Game is a bit brain dead until the real hunts begin several missions deep. I kind of dislike the gun mode as borh the control layout and aiming properly has been frustrated me. Hell, just switching weapon modes can annoy me at how often the game doesn't accept my input to do so(animation priority sans buffering), thus I kind of want to never bother with guns.

All the responses to my questions ring true already. It's a different type of hunting game and it's PSP roots show(like type 0 HD), but I've had a decent time so far. Doubtful I will stick with it though as the hooks aren't very strong, the story is a bit too sophomoric and tropey, and the actual encounters are merely decent so far. I do like it is a palette cleanser away that doesn't feature the hefty resource mgmt and minimal plot of MH, but combat is a bit too light and basic here.

I've only played the demo of Toukiden, so I couldn't say. I did read some criticisms about the difficulty, but overall most people do enjoy the game. I'll probably buy it, but I might wait another sale. To be honest, it's pretty hard to top Monster Hunter. Toukiden at least have a stronger focus on story, which is nice.

I will say that Soul Sacrifice Delta is pretty good. It has different hooks than MH, though. The story is very interesting and well written.

I have Freedom Wars but haven't tried yet. Looks pretty cool.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Toukiden is indeed easy.

Freedom Wars melee weapons are mostly useless outside of attaching yourself to an abductor and sawing parts off, but once you make a specific gun you pretty much dont even need to do that as you can break the game with it.

ramyeon

Toukiden is pretty easy yeah, but I enjoyed my time with it.

God Eater is really easy too and there are some crazily broken builds. My set up at the end of GE2 was basically a sword that could stun lock enemies into a button spam and a bullet that shot up to the sky and came down a few minutes later practically killing anything in one hit.

preta

Oh snap had no idea they were making a game for this anime. I am quite fond of the animated series. good news!

The anime is based off of the games. The game series has been around since 2010, and even the latest games predate the anime. They are just being localized later.

Yasumi

Banned
Man, I kind of miss Sakaki's old voice. He was an awkward, slow-talking dork of a scientist, now he sounds like a 20-something common nerd. Boo. ;-;

Teknoman

Man, I kind of miss Sakaki's old voice. He was an awkward, slow-talking dork of a scientist, now he sounds like a 20-something common nerd. Boo. ;-;

Yeah, I never heard his old voice since is my first experience with the game, but I do think his current voice really does not fit him. Everyone else seems pretty decent though!

LtOrange

How is the multiplayer population? I won't be able to play for another week and hope there will some people to hunt with.

Yasumi

Banned
Whew, the field battles make my PS4 go jet-engine loud. Kind of wishing I'd gotten the Vita version instead, even though I've still got Burst installed. :/

Brandon F

How is the multiplayer population? I won't be able to play for another week and hope there will some people to hunt with.

There are people playing, but its hardly enough to feel like you can easily match up at any time. Also, mission progress reverts to the player at the lowest story mission, so if three players are up to mission 20, and the 4th is mission 6, then everyone in the room is forced to help play catch-up. Thus it can be difficult to match up with people that are in the same mission range to make forward progress. Hence, much kicking in the lobby if you aren't willing to help out or if your story rank is below the rest of the group.

Finished ZTD so I'll be able to get back into this game in full now. I have played the game countless times already, but the changes make me wanna go through it one more time. Also really intrigued with the prologue.

bobawesome

Picked up the game yesterday since I needed a new game after finishing off ZTD. I don't really care for the controls and it feels tricky to move around when I'm close to a monster. Maybe it just takes getting used to. Customization for your characters also seems disappointingly limited.

Brandon F

Picked up the game yesterday since I needed a new game after finishing off ZTD. I don't really care for the controls and it feels tricky to move around when I'm close to a monster. Maybe it just takes getting used to. Customization for your characters also seems disappointingly limited.

Yea, I have put some time into this over the last week just dying for a solid MH clone on console. It's really rough in a lot of spots, but eventually you acclimate and start to get a good feel for the camera jank and the lack of heft behind weapon hits(outside of the slow weapons). Story is edgy anime garbage so far, but the equipment progression loop can be somewhat satisfying, which is keeping me engaged. I don't really like it(and my first impression filled me with buyers remorse), yet I can't stop playing it...so its doing something right. Combat started clicking once I hit Difficulty 3 missions where monsters started to put up a fight, forcing me to really get a feel on the action.

EDIT: Hey wait, how do you use Impulse Edge?

Hold R+Square and keep mashing square to fire off bullets. The type of bullets and affinity is dictated entirely by the sword type.

Many of you may already have seen this, but our good friend from this very thread ChrisDM pointed it out to me on Twitter (I can't access GAF in the office), God Eater Resurrection is the #1 most sold game of June in the US! Pretty outstanding considering how late in the month it came our way. I'm sure the fact that there is no physical version is the reason why, regardless this is quite the feat!

Thanks to everyone who bought the game! God Eater is back in the game, and I couldn't be happier :')

Top Bottom