• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

simtmb

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I can't wait at all!

My most hyped game next to Espgaluda II. Lucky i have that to tide me over for a bit. :D

Why For?

Banned
Can't wait. I bought a ps3 for this game.

VERY quickly need to replay 2 from gow collection, and need ONE more trophy from 1. Beat the game in under 5 hours.

Lince

Banned
technically it is nirvana. extreme fluidity, beautiful lens flare effect, amazing lighting, textures, powerful bump mapping effect, astonishing reflections. Nothing has been spared. Just only few minutes after the intro sequence you'll be stoned.

party.gif

Sounds like another hit. Damn, this is going to be an epic couple of weeks... Heavy Rain in two days, FFXIII on March 9th, GoWIII on March 16th.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I am dying to see the epic set-pieces this game might throw at me.
My mind goes wild in imagination and I await the next 3 weeks with utter anticipation.

Dogenzaka said:
I am dying to see the epic set-pieces this game might throw at me.
My mind goes wild in imagination and I await the next 3 weeks with utter anticipation.

I doubt it would be on the level of Uncharted 2. That game is the current king when it comes to throwing the player into crazy scenarios... I cant see how God of War 3 (or any other game really) can surpass it so quickly. Its only been 4-5 months since UC2 came out, and the set pieces of GoW3 would probably have already been completed by then.

Then again... its God of fucking War. If any game stands a chance, its probably it.

Need some comparisons b/w set pieces of GoW3 and UC2... or at least some comment on the scenarios of GoW3. Also need some solid info on frame rate.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
iamcool388 said:
I doubt it would be on the level of Uncharted 2. That game is the current king when it comes to throwing the player into crazy scenarios... I cant see how God of War 3 (or any other game really) can surpass it so quickly. Its only been 4-5 months since UC2 came out, and the set pieces of GoW3 would probably have already been completed by then.

Then again... its God of fucking War. If any game stands a chance, its probably it.

Need some comparisons b/w set pieces of GoW3 and UC2... or at least some comment on the scenarios of GoW3. Also need some solid info on frame rate.

We may have slightly differing definitions of "crazy scenarios" but the GOW series already outdoes Uncharted on that front, IMO. The graphics just aren't as good. Yet.

Dogenzaka

Banned
iamcool388 said:

I dunno, the trailer kind of humbled me.

You fight a moving Leviathan. Who happens to be fastened to the wrist of a moving Titan.
You are the size of a period at the end of this sentence, and the Titan continues to scale Mount Olympus.

If there's any game that will dethrone jaw-dropping moments from U2, it'll be this one.

But I'm not sure, either. We'll see eventually.

You guys should know that God of War 1 received quite a few less than perfect scores. Gamespot for example gave it 9.3. Gamespot even docked a point off GoW 2 for saying that Combat feels very similar to GoW 1:

With all that said, it's a bit disappointing that more wasn't done to the combat engine this time around. Kratos still looks extremely hardcore as he whips his dual blades around in every direction and murders everything in sight, but at its core, the combat feels pretty much identical to the last game, in that it's prone to button mashing and can be easygoing.

IGN did the exact same thing. Gave 9.8 to GoW and took a point off for its sequel because of similar complaints.

The 9/10 review for GoW 3 foreshadows what the reviewers are going to cry about.

Hey_its_that_dog and Dogenzaka,

I guess i'm just unsettled by the fact that something better/crazier/more jaw dropping might already be coming out so soon after Uncharted 2. That said, i'll be incredibly happy if that does happen. I'm probably subconsciously trying to reduce my hype and expectations.

I love me some God of War! :D

RustyNails said:
You guys should know that God of War 1 received quite a few less than perfect scores. Gamespot for example gave it 9.3. Gamespot even docked a point off GoW 2 for saying that Combat feels very similar to GoW 1:

IGN did the exact same thing. Gave 9.8 to GoW and took a point off for its sequel because of similar complaints.

The 9/10 review for GoW 3 foreshadows what the reviewers are going to cry about.
I don't think you should put much stock into the OPM UK review. I think they gave the first one a 6, and the second one a 7. Something like that.

I'm 80% sure of this. So a 9 from them for a god of war game is the equivalent to a 9000/10.

SamBishop

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
The game comes with a bong, weed and a couple of twinkies?:eek:

PITIFUL FOOL! THE GOD OF WAR KNOWS ONLY THE CRUNCHY DELICIOUSNESS OF FUNYUNS! ONIONY FLAVORED RINGS OF PAIN AND TORMENT ARE THE ONLY SNACK WORTHY OF A QUEST FOR ULTIMATE VENGEANCE AND BLOODSHED!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SamBishop said:
PITIFUL FOOL! THE GOD OF WAR KNOWS ONLY THE CRUNCHY DELICIOUSNESS OF FUNYUNS! ONIONY FLAVORED RINGS OF PAIN AND TORMENT ARE THE ONLY SNACK WORTHY OF A QUEST FOR ULTIMATE VENGEANCE AND BLOODSHED!

IN THE END, THERE WILL BE ONLY CHAOS CHEETOS!

SamBishop

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
IN THE END, THERE WILL BE ONLY CHAOS CHEETOS!

ATHENA! WHY HAVE YOU CURSED ME WITH THESE ORDINARY CHEETOS?! THE GOD OF WAR DEMANDS THEY BE JALAPENO CHEDDAR, THERE CAN BE NO OTHER! DO YOU SEEK TO HAVE THIS JUGGERNAUT OF HUNGER AND MILD CRANKINESS COME TO YOUR VERY DOORSTEP?

Okay, okay, I'm done, sorry. Also, your username is fantastic.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I dunno how to feel about GOW3...

When I see at the graphics and art style I just go =O

But then I remember its GOW and the monotone gameplay (compared to other games like DMC and Bayonetta) and my face goes =/

iamcool388 said:

God of War 2 had far better set pieces and epic scale on a last gen system than Uncharted 2 for me at least and I loved U2.

The whole Leviathan level looks better than anything I've played in U2 so I have no doubt that this game will easily top it.

3 out of 3 for Santa Monica :D

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SamBishop said:
ATHENA! WHY HAVE YOU CURSED ME WITH THESE ORDINARY CHEETOS?! THE GOD OF WAR DEMANDS THEY BE JALAPENO CHEDDAR, THERE CAN BE NO OTHER! DO YOU SEEK TO HAVE THIS JUGGERNAUT OF HUNGER AND MILD CRANKINESS COME TO YOUR VERY DOORSTEP?

Okay, okay, I'm done, sorry. Also, your username is fantastic.

ZEUS, YOUR SON HAS RETURNED! I BRING PEPPERONI PIZZA AND PEPSI!

KaYotiX

Banned
Cant wait to rent it!!!! Yeah thats right, RENTAL!! I love the series but with all these other games coming out ill blow through GOW3 enjoy the ride then move on :D

Still cant wait though

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
iamcool388 said:

It's God of War...

Digital-Hero said:
"lol wut", 20/20 score is a 100%.

That's two 10/10s! That's 200%! Best game ever?!?!??????????!!!!

Seriously though, I'm sure it's good but it feels almost GTAIVish with the ridiculous quotes from the reviews. Awaiting GoWIII backlash...

zoukka

MotorbreathX said:
Seriously though, I'm sure it's good but it feels almost GTAIVish with the ridiculous quotes from the reviews. Awaiting GoWIII backlash...

Yeah the reviews are embarrassing. But I'm pretty sure GoWIII is a 9/10 or 10/10. And the only backlash this game could have would come from Bayonetta fanboys.

Loudninja

zoukka said:
Yeah the reviews are embarrassing. But I'm pretty sure GoWIII is a 9/10 or 10/10. And the only backlash this game could have would come from Bayonetta fanboys.

I am really not seeing the big deal with the reviews.

zoukka said:

I just wish reviewers could keep a more professional viewpoint when giving reviews of hyped games. They sound like little kids just as excited about the game as the folks buying it and don't stay as objective as they need to be. It's almost like they are part of the hype wagon themselves. Which is ridiculous...

Either way, I'll give it a rent. I'm sure I'll love it but these games never give me enough for more than one playthrough and don't feel it's worth full price.

MotorbreathX said:
I just wish reviewers could keep a more professional viewpoint when giving reviews of hyped games. They sound like little kids just as excited about the game as the folks buying it and don't stay as objective as they need to be.

A review, by definition, is not objective. It's an opinion. There are writing standards certainly, but the conveying of enthusiasm is a perfectly legitimate style.

zoukka

Captain_Spanky said:
A review, by definition, is not objective. It's an opinion. There are writing standards certainly, but the conveying of enthusiasm is a perfectly legitimate style.

You mean there should be.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
MotorbreathX said:
That's two 10/10s! That's 200%! Best game ever?!?!??????????!!!!

Yeah, I'm getting the same vibe here.

Hopefully the game will not let me down like GTA IV did.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jsnepo said:

I hate when reviews don't give info about that. My bet is that it runs at 30fps with plenty of motion blur.

I also wonder about those little pauses occurring whenever you hit an enemy in the demo. I hated that and wonder if it's gone in the final game.

I guess I'll have to answer these questions myself when I get the code next week.

Side note: Tim Moss, tech head at Sony Santa Monica, just (well, 2 hrs ago actually) twitted this:

35Gb of goodness. Thank heavens for Dual Layer Blu-Rays
http://twitter.com/TDMoss/status/9422071243

Captain_Spanky said:

Alright, point taken. However, personally, I think there could be a more professional writing style that makes it sound less like a kid waiting to open a Christmas present and more like a professional writer trying to help consumers decide whether or not to spend $60 on a game.

I have no doubt the game is great and recognize the hype surrounding the game. So, as a reviewer, back off a bit and look at it what it is. Does it do more than take advantage of the graphical prowess of the PS3 versus the PS2 and expand on the GoW formula? Or is it the same game made pretty? A game could "look like a painting" or " have an intro that will paralyze you with pleasure", but have they advanced the combat system (which it seems they haven't) or brought anything else to the table that moves the game forward?

(Also note that I'm at work and can't read the reviews beyond what the OP has posted due to filters)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
TTP said:
I also wonder about those little pauses occurring whenever you hit an enemy in the demo. I hated that and wonder if it's gone in the final game.
To me, that only felt strange for the first minutes of the demo, that I played immediately after beating God of War II.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kinan said:
35GB is pretty huge for a game without any pre-renderred videos. Also there may be some in a bonus/unlock content

And sound. I think uncompressed sound eats a lot of space. BTW, do we know if game supports DTS? (Please do)

Top Bottom